PDA

View Full Version : July 4th gathering at Gasworks Park: GasuKan 6.5?

Kumi-chan
07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I know it's a bit last minute, but would anybody be interested? The fireworks display on Lake Union is supposed to be one of the best in the country (haven't seen it in person in years, but it's been years since I went anywhere for the 4th). Gasworks is kind of GK's "home", so it would be cool if some of us got together, staked out a spot, and watched the fireworks together.

I'm working in Everett until 6:30, and I probably have to take the bus down--I don't want to try to find parking in Seattle on the 4th--so I can't get there until around 8:00. Otherwise I'd save a spot myself. However, if anyone else is free earlier in the day and would be willing to stake out a place, that would be really cool. I'd say, pick a spot ahead of time for everyone who wants to join us to meet. Maybe close to the covered area with all the pipes, or the small wooded spot near to it? We usually meet around there for GasuKan anyway, so it'd be easy for everyone to find.

People tend to dress kind of crazy on the 4th anyway, so I think we could get away with cosplay, at least casual stuff (nothing with weapons, though; leave the swords and guns and stuff at home). In honor of the day, I'd suggest picking something red, white, or blue, or even adding the colors to one of your outfits.

Just a thought! I'll be going even if I'm the only one there (probably an "Independence Day/Casual!Orihime", just because I love the wig and she'll look cute in the colors), but it would be a lot of fun if there were other people to hang with. Let me know if you're interested!

garfieldelric
07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Gladly. I'll be L!

cpardo
07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
I've never seen the fireworks in person ever. I'm usually at home lighting my own alone how pathetic.

I'd like to check it out...

Kumi-chan
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
When I lived in Anchorage my family went to the local display every year. It's always worth it to go to a professional show.

The stuff that goes on in my neighborhood is pretty cool, but the houses and trees block a lot of the bigger ones. Plus there's always the fear that something'll get set on fire, and that's not cool.

I'll be bringing along a blanket to sit on. If you're going to be one of the people who can make it there early, it might be a good idea to make a sign that says "GasuKan" on it, just so you're easier to spot.
Don't forget jackets, everyone!

Kind of wish I wasn't working, but I do get both time-and-a-half and holiday pay for the day. Which makes up for being a little late to the party.

Perzephone
07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I might show up, depends on what my plans are since they are tentative. I hate when things are up in the air like this lol plus its my 30th this sunday o.0 and I still yet to know what to do for my Bday LOL

Kumi-chan
07-01-2008, 02:49 PM
30th as in bday? Holy shiz, I'd never have guessed. I thought you were younger than me!

In that case, I'll bake a cake to bring with.

Perzephone
07-01-2008, 03:02 PM
lol yah I know I look like I'm in my early 20's :P I guess that would be a great thing when I'm 50 and still cosplaying LOL

I'll let you all know if I'm going to be at Gasworks for the 4th ^_^ since I have to hear from my friends about the plans they have lol oy!

Justke
07-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Oooh. that sounds like fun ^^ I'll see if I can make it!

cpardo
07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
lol yah I know I look like I'm in my early 20's :P I guess that would be a great thing when I'm 50 and still cosplaying LOL

I'll let you all know if I'm going to be at Gasworks for the 4th ^_^ since I have to hear from my friends about the plans they have lol oy!

Hey maybe you can be "casual" Rukia. Have a "casual" Bleach gathering!

Hey Kumi, maybe we should call it: GASUKAN "6.4" or rather "6.4th!" ;p

I'll see if I can get there early. Any preferences where people would like to sit? If I get there around dinner time, I'll bring some food to share say like chicken or something, as I'll be hungry as well. But BYOB :).

When I get home I'll go ahead and post this event at the GK Facebook group.

Hitokiri Kenshin
07-01-2008, 06:40 PM
If I didn't have to worry about the bus, I might go, but it's a possibility.

Kumi-chan
07-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm taking the bus. It's on Sunday hours, but the 511 does run north from I-5 and 45th (the U-District stop) until 11:50 p.m. It's not a horrible walk from that stop to Gasworks...a little long, but that's what I'm doing. I used to walk up to UW from I-5 every Friday for anime club, and it only took me ten or fifteen minutes. I figure maybe a half-hour from the freeway to the park.

If you need a ride home after that, I can give you one. We just have to make sure we leave the park with plenty of time to spare.

Hitokiri Kenshin
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Ok. I'm in then.

The~Wind
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
While I'd love to go. My friends and I are having a party on Bainbridge. We really don't want to change our plans since this is our first time together in months.

Sorry.

lilithfire
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. lol. I havent seen fireworks in Gasworks in ages and im also thinking of taking the bus. Parking is a pain in the butt anyways. I'll be casual yoruichi or casual temari.

Fang of Critias
07-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I am being asked to show up late at night on a holiday bus schedule, but... this is a perfect opportunity to show off my new and improved Light cosplay earlier than I anticipated. This is something I'll have to think about over the week.

ShinWHO
07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Maybe...
Even though I won't be working it this year (thank God, last year I was doing OT on Metroid Prime 3), it is a Friday. Which means a delicious home-cooked meal from my parents in Bellevue, conveniently about two blocks away from the Downtown Park where they also put on a fireworks display. However, I do want to meet you people and it's also conveniently close to the 271 to the U-District, so...

Hitokiri Kenshin
07-03-2008, 07:22 AM
So should I bring cookies to this?

Fang of Critias
07-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Okay, unless this weather clears up by tomorrow, I'm not going.

Kumi-chan
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Isn't it always kind of crummy (cold and overcast at least) on the fourth around here? If you let the rain get to you you'll never get to go anywhere.
It's up to you, though.

I'm bringing a sweater and a jacket. Color-coordinated, of course. ^^ I don't think I have time to make a cake since I'm working this afternoon and all day tomorrow, but I'll bring one.

Perzephone
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
My friends haven't called me back and yet they whine about how I don't come out to play with them :P
Anyway I want to go and the thing is I don't want to drive and bussing out there from whereI live will suck :\ so I may be there, if I get lucky by getting a ride.

cpardo
07-03-2008, 01:26 PM
So should I bring cookies to this?

Yeah go for it. I'm bringing some food like a main course I'll pick up somewhere before heading there.

I found I already have some rbw clothes at home to wear, plus I got some accessories to "pimp" out the character (Ichigo). I got a new cool coat (with a fuzzy lining) that might go with it and will help with the weather, although it's black. But if it's warm I'll have it off except for pics, but wear it if it gets cold. Yeah, GOT to bring my camera!

Forecast: possible light rain and cool (59 degrees). There's always the covered area to hang out.

Fang of Critias
07-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Isn't it always kind of crummy (cold and overcast at least) on the fourth around here? If you let the rain get to you you'll never get to go anywhere.
It's up to you, though.

I'm bringing a sweater and a jacket. Color-coordinated, of course. ^^ I don't think I have time to make a cake since I'm working this afternoon and all day tomorrow, but I'll bring one.

Well, all right. I'll go, but only if I can have your autograph.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Hitokiri Kenshin
07-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Ok, will be making a batch tonight.

ShinWHO
07-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Some people from work wanted to meet up there, so I'll be arriving around 8 to 9p.m. Apparently one of the (crazy) guys will be staking out a spot on the hill from 10a.m.! He mentioned the park gets ridiculously packed during this, so it'd be great to know where to look for you. If you see someone looking around, wearing a black F-ZERO GX hat, holla. Thanks.

cpardo
07-04-2008, 02:06 AM
I may go to Seattle a little earlier, to go pick up something I left at work, and then head to Gasworks. Everything else should be the same.

I'll look for a spot near the sheltered area. Dunno how much luck since they are having festivities earlier, with a stage setup. Not sure how packed it'll be around dinner time. I'll try.

Perzephone
07-04-2008, 02:08 AM
update on me, I won't be going, since my friends called me like an hour ago saying ok we are doing something Oy! lol

Justke
07-04-2008, 04:10 AM
I'll be going with Panda and Boogs (around 10am lolololol) for sure now :D maybe I'll bring my paopu fruit pillow.

Perzephone
07-04-2008, 04:27 AM
I want to go so bad lol but :\ my friends are taking me else where that is less crowded and they wanna take me out for my bday too :P one thing about having my bday around the 4th lol everyone is just trying to figure out what to do lol

Fang of Critias
07-04-2008, 10:31 AM
After checking the bus schedules, it's going to be impossible for me to get home from the fireworks show unless I can guarantee a ride home. Unless that is the case, I see no point in going.

Bredward
07-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Oh damn, I would totally go if I had seen this thread before just now. D=
-was out of town until an hour ago-

ShinWHO
07-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Relax, you didn't miss anything. Just thousands of people packed into a place way too small! I scoured every corner of that place for an hour and a half and didn't find any of you. Unless you were wearing the Yukata down by the waterfront. Or had the industrial goggles on on the other side of the police protected fence. Or maybe the double pink pigtails? Nah, those people were a little too rough to have been any of you. Maybe the blue butterfly face paint with tight black leather outfit on the north side of the hill?
Anyway, I ended up getting a spot right on the waterfront and then disappeared early to beat the crowds. See ya on the 19th...when I have a few thousand less people to search through lol.

Fang of Critias
07-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I really do wish the music wasn't so damn loud, especially during the fireworks show. And my camera wouldn't even let me take pictures because of a "full memory card" or something. And exactly as I predicted, getting home from Gasworks was hell.

All in all it was a good night, but I'd still had rather played cards like every other Friday night had the shop been open.

cpardo
07-07-2008, 02:14 AM
Mmmmm...if there's another GK event like that again, I can put my cell # on Facebook if you can't find us text me and I can TRY to direct you to us, make a bigger sign etc. Of course with an event like that there's going to be a LOT of people--which isn't everyone's cup of tea. I usually don't like large festival seating type of events like that, but this is an exception.

Anyway I have some photos up from that evening here:

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/hkaddict/Gasukan%204th%20of%20July%20party%20at%20Gasworks/

There's still a few left to put up.

Kumi-chan
07-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I had a blast. It was definitely worth the trip down there. The fireworks were fantastic, and hanging out with everyone was so much fun. Even if I was dead on my feet at work the next day. Totally worth it, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You know, I didn't even notice what was written at the top of the sign (http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/hkaddict/Gasukan%204th%20of%20July%20party%20at%20Gasworks/?action=view&current=P7040179.jpg) until now. That's really sweet, you guys! *group hug*

Ah, now to get back to work on stuff for the 19th!

ShinWHO
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Haha, that's funny, I walked past that spot 4 times between 8:15p.m. and 9:30p.m. I guess the sign wasn't up when I passed by? It's also interesting to note that the upper floor of the covered area (the hexagon above the sinks) had nobody up there for 20 minutes straight. If you're interested, here are pictures from the other people I went to meet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elisfanclub/

Fang of Critias
07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Haha, that's funny, I walked past that spot 4 times between 8:15p.m. and 9:30p.m. I guess the sign wasn't up when I passed by? It's also interesting to note that the upper floor of the covered area (the hexagon above the sinks) had nobody up there for 20 minutes straight. If you're interested, here are pictures from the other people I went to meet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elisfanclub/

It took me almost two hours to find the group myself. I even almost gave up and went back home until garfieldelric (as L) called my name and invited me over.

Speaking of which, when's he going to post his pics?

kelsey uchiha
07-07-2008, 11:13 PM
I came last minute on a whim,and was unable to mind anyone.

I guess that's just what I get. :x (I came as Genin Sakura)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Though,the fireworks were breathtaking!^-^

lilithfire
07-08-2008, 12:08 AM
I managed to find the group alright but getting to the spot was a little tricky when youre wearing platforms. (not the smartest decision, but whatever.:crylaugh:) It was all in good fun and it was awesome to see the gasukan kids again.

cpardo
07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
All of the photos are up now:

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/hkaddict/Gasukan%204th%20of%20July%20party%20at%20Gasworks/

Enjoy!

Hitokiri Kenshin
07-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Here are mine:

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w77/HitokiriDragon/4th%20of%20July/