PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Temporarliy colouring dark eyebrows, the 2 dollar method!

Pages : [1] 2

november.eyes
07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
I know what you're thinking,
"What?! Is she mad? A two dollar method for turning my black eyebrows perfectly blonde?! BLASPHEMY! Where's my pitchfork! D:< "
But yes! There is a way, and I have proof in the form of pictures! Now, onto the tutorial!

* Please note: this tutorial is not only for people with dark eyebrows wanting to turn them blonde. It also works for all shades of eyebrows, and all desired colours. Meaning: pink, blue, green, orange, pastel shades, white, skin tones etc...

Materials:
School glue
Acrylic Paint (in the your desired colour)
Thin paint brush
- Yes thatís all. And whatís this? All these materials are available at the dollar store and at home? My gosh!

Procedure:
1. Comb out, or tame your eyebrows so they are all traveling in the same direction. This can be as simple as running a fine toothed comb over them, or even just guiding your fingers over them. This step just makes the technique look more neat.

2. Squirt a line of school glue over your eyebrow. Depending on thickness of your eyebrows, you may want to do two lines.
*Now hold on! Before anyone starts grilling me with flames of "what idiot puts glue in their hair!!!?" I'd like to direct your eyes to the front label of the school glue bottle. See that big bolded word that reads "Washable"? Both it and I can guarantee that this glue will wash out with warm water. I put my complete trust in school glue and can testify that I have even used it in my hair before and it washed out easily.

3. With your paintbrush, spread the glue evenly across your eyebrow with strokes going with the grain (or direction) of your hair. Make sure to overlap onto your skin just a little to get all your hair. Wait for it to dry... (Depending on how thick or unruly your eyebrows are, you may want to do a second coat of glue overtop the first dried coat, but usually one layer is enough)

4. Once the glue is completely dry, you should have a hard, crisp eyebrow waiting to be painted over with the acrylic paint. Just wash the glue off your brush and use it to paint your eyebrow.

TA DA! Nice light eyebrows to match your wigs light hair! Aren't you the dedicated cosplayer ;)

Pictures:
Before technique (pardon, our goofy pose): http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1578641/ (note the person in the white's dark eyebrows compared to the wig)

While painting: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1590938/

Afterwards: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1578775/

Overall Questions:
Q: How long does this technique take?
A: Around 5 minutes. We did it in the parking lot of the con.

Q: How long does it last?
A: The whole day. When we did this to my friends black eyebrows, they stayed blonde the entire day in 28 degree Celsius weather. We did a touch up of the paint around the end of the day, but they didn't really need it.

Q: Makeup?
A: It's better to do your makeup before doing your eyebrows, as foundation/concealer on top of school glue looks really tacky and obvious. Powder however, isn't very noticeable.

Q: What type of paint and glue did you use?
A: We've used both Elmer and Ross school glue. For paint we used FolkArt, but I've also used more expensive brands with the same results. Dollar store paint is perfectly useable.
*Edit* For those still wondering what School glue is, I've been told it's also called PVA glue in some countries

Q: Does it wash out?
A: As I mentioned above, a warm/hot facecloth wiped over your eyebrow will take both the paint and the glue out.

Litha
07-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks a lot, this is really useful ^_^

Truffle-chan
07-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Amazing...! o.o And I have all this paint around the house, too...! xD

SailorKnight
07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
That's... amazing... I'll have to try this. Soon.

Krethes
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
O___O See...now this makes much more sense than using eye shadow. -bookmarks-
Youji eyebrows are stupid and blue, so this shall come in handy!

kimuhalu
07-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks a lot, november.eyes! I was just thinking a bit earlier if I should make my eyebrows white for Ryohei, and how I could. ^_^ I think I will go ahead and do it, and use your method.

Jequila
07-01-2008, 09:20 PM
...I literally just got back from buying eyeliner and eyeshadow to do my eyebrows with >_<
Oh well, it was only $4.20, I guess I'll try both and see what looks better =] Thanks for the tips!

[edit] By the way, by 'school glue' do you mean like... That white glue that dries clear?

november.eyes
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
By the way, by 'school glue' do you mean like... That white glue that dries clear?

Yes, the kind that comes in a bottle. The kind everyone uses in primary school to make arts and crafts XD

JVCA
07-01-2008, 11:28 PM
School glue = PVA glue, in case you want to put that in your tutorial for reference. :3

Jequila
07-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Ah, that's what I know it as, PVA =]
Gave this a try, worked nicely. I'm trying to find a way to cover my eyebrows to make them smaller like Axel's. Tried the foundation, concealer, powder trio, and it worked ok, as long as you put on enough layers of glue to get it smooth like skin, rather then lumpy with hair. You could still faintly see them though... So I'll see what else I can do :B Any ideas?

november.eyes
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
It might just be my misunderstanding of ArtAttack, but I was under the impression that PVA glue was glue with water mixed into it? Was I wrong?

Ah, as I mentioned above, concealer doesn't look to pretty overtop the glue, because concealer itself isn't too thick (so it doesn't clog pores). Infact, it's rather see through. Have you tried a skin colour paint yet?

Make sure your paint isn't too watery as the more watery it is, the more layers you'll have to paint on (hence why tempura and watercolour paints don't work at all).

Hope that helps :)

yafromuk
07-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Just my 2 cents:

I have BLACK eyebrows and NOTHING works to color them, not the colored mascara, not the Ben Nye hair color, nothing.

I have faked it in the past with a colored pencil, but tomorrow is AX and my new wig is silver. So I figured I'd give this a try...

It worked really well! I wore the glue/ paint for the last hour and just washed it off. Everything worked fine and it washed off easily with a tiny bit of scrubbing and some soap.

So I'll be trying it tomorrow and hoping it holds up for the con.

Thanks for the tutorial =)

Jequila
07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
It might just be my misunderstanding of ArtAttack, but I was under the impression that PVA glue was glue with water mixed into it? Was I wrong?

Ah, as I mentioned above, concealer doesn't look to pretty overtop the glue, because concealer itself isn't too thick (so it doesn't clog pores). Infact, it's rather see through. Have you tried a skin colour paint yet?

Make sure your paint isn't too watery as the more watery it is, the more layers you'll have to paint on (hence why tempura and watercolour paints don't work at all).

Hope that helps :)
-smacks head- why didn't I think of that? Though I'm not sure if I'll be able to mix my coloured skin >w<;; I'll experiment later today and see what happens. This is a really great method =D

Oh, and you might be thinking of water based. PVA is a water based glue, so it cleans up with water :) Hence why schools use it, it's cheap and easy to clean x3

SailorKnight
07-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Should it be mentioned to use school glue and not white glue? They're right next to each other on the shelves and the bottles are near identical, but white glue doesn't say "Washable" on it. It doesn't come out of clothes and I'd guess hair.

aliceinbox
07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
^_^ thanks i been searching for another method cause the eyeshadow thing doesn't work for me X_X and now i found it :D
must try it .. as soon as i get glue XD

KittyCanuck
07-04-2008, 08:35 PM
You can also use a school gluestick instead of wet glue. A gluestick is usually used in these eyebrow-covering tutorials. ^_^ You don't have to wait as long for it to dry.

CezzaXV
07-06-2008, 01:13 PM

Yeah, they just really like mixing PVA glue with water in Art Attack. :P

I think it's just a difference between the names they call it in different countries.

I will try this method though some time. Make sure it's washable though lol

kisaki_kun
07-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Oooh, I will definitely have to try this - dark brown eyebrows going to white! ;) I'm not relishing the thought of completely covering them up with the eyebrow wax and then trying to cover THAT stuff up too *ugh*

Thanks!!

Emmyla
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
This is amazingly helpful. Thank you :'D
I was fretting over how to make brown eyebrows blond xD I knew paint would work, but the glue thing is brilliant :3

Queen Anime 99
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
OMG! You are a genius!!!! XD

stardust462
07-11-2008, 08:32 AM
I need to try this as soon as I get home from work. I have tried everything on my thick black eyebrows and nothing has worked yet. Thanks for posting this!

-GlacialMai-
07-11-2008, 10:40 AM
GAH! Must try this....I wonder if we have any paint besides watercolor....

videogirlc
07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Thats awesome. Now people can stop bugging me to dye my eyebrows when I cosplay.

SailorKnight
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
I just tried this on the underside of my arm and it works great for tatooes, too. I rubbed and rubbed it and it didn't come off, but peeled off completely when I grabbed the corner of the corner of the glue. I don't know how well it would hold off against sweat, but if you don't pick at it you should be fine. I'm going to use this method for Belldandy's tatooes.

phantomthief
07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Tatoos, yes ;) If you've seen my temporary tattoos on the Marketplace, that's just ink implanted into medical adhesive :3

For eyebrows... It just looks too fake for my tastes ^.^;; Tried it once, too cartoony, even with natural colors.

~Ari

~Lady Kitsune~
07-21-2008, 05:28 AM
yay! thanks!!

WilwarinAndamar
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I have really thick dark eyebrows as well. I've used nose/scar wax to cover them in the past, but it doesn't work so well. I'll have to try the glue method now.

Not sure about the acrylic paint, but I'll experiment with it.

Thanks! I never would have thought about this. ^^

Crystalike
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
THIS.

IS.

THE SUPER EYEBROW GLUE COVERING TEGHNIQUE! XDDDDDDD

I do have to try this out myself...I'm Asian and have quite thick black eyebrows, so I'll give this a shot when I get some acrylic paint and schoolglue (man, I have every other paint except that and I claim to be an art major...XD) Thanks for the tutorial!

Ramonachan
07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Oooh XD Thanks so much for this!! I must try this this weekend!

Thanks again

berrybetty
07-29-2008, 08:53 AM
I love this tutorial :) Thanks so much!
I have black eyebrows, but I wanted to cosplay as blondies alot.

YOU.
ARE.
GODLY!!!

Mintsu
08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
That's brilliant! *w*
I was having trouble with getting my eyebrows silver for my last cosplay. I tried to use colored hairspray but it just ended up getting all over my forehead. Good thing the bangs were long enough to cover them.
I'll definitely try this since my eyebrows are sooo very dark. xD

Spitfire369
08-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Oooh, this is excellent! I'm about to go try this...

Iggy500
08-04-2008, 01:29 PM
thank you for posting this! i was just discussing with my friend yesterday how to turn our eyebrows blonde! now we have our answer! thanks!

Pink.Serenity
08-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Wow, this seems very useful, thanks very much! I will have to bookmark this and try it for future cosplays!

Nevturiel
08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
If anyone does this soon, I'd like to see some closer photos of it. I just can't see how it wouldn't look goopy like you covered your eyebrows in colored hair gel.

jusdepomme
08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow! great idea! I'll sure be using it a long for my next cons!

Valentine_x
08-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh I bow down to you.
mOm x forever.
I'm being Cloud Strife for a con that can't decide when it's happening (¨_¨)...
But I have black eyebrows.
Like black.
Like woah.
._.
Aaaanyway, I shall be trying this method later.
Thank youuu!!!

FumikoSan
08-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Wonderful, thank you very much!

I'll try it later, for now I'll bookmark it ^^

TSUKUYOMiSUN
08-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Anyone know if glue sticks work in this method?

Black_Dog
08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
This is awesome! I tried it just now and used wayyy too much glue on my recently trimmed eyebrows, so they stuck out a lot. I washed it off and tried again, with less glue and more yelling at it to stick to my skin, and it looks marvelous. Thank you guys for this awesome tutorial!

-----Pointer for anyone trying to do this, make your eyebrows stick as close to your skin as possible, it makes your paint job much more convincing!------

I have a photo here in my gallery if anyone wants to see how they came out. I used a light colour on purpose to see if my dark, almost black eyebrows would show through:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1671401/

Retro
08-13-2008, 02:59 AM
Someone make this a sticky.
Please.

You're a genius.

SiriusLoveGirl
08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
O_O YES. Thank you so much for this, I was wondering how I would make my eyebrows look blonde when I wear a blonde wig. I'll be sure to try it out! Thank you!

LadiesMan217
08-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Anyone know if glue sticks work in this method?

KittyCanuck said you can. And that it dries faster.

tsuoi_kaze
08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I must try this! Thank you for posting this tutorial, if it works for me I'll probably be using this method quite a bit in the future.

SilverSharpie
08-18-2008, 12:59 AM
This is awesome. I'm going to be a changing lizard woman for Halloween at work this year and I really wanted to have one of my scaly patches going down over one eyebrow and down my cheek. This will be awesome to smooth out the eyebrow and make it look like scaly skin. Then I can just paint or marker over it and seal it.

Nevturiel
08-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the closer up, Black Dog. It actually does look convincing. I stand corrected! Thanks again.

MisatoNpenpen
08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
nice idea! it reminds me of using that eyebrow wax and coloring it that way.. but much cheaper ^_^

saimon
08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
This is both and odd and genius idea.
I may try this for future cosplays that involve me needing a different eyebrow colour.
xD

Also makes me wonder where on Earth your came up with this.
xD

Frosty~RLF
08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Holy crap, this is pure genius. *____* I've been fretting for days over how I'm going to color my eyebrows red for a cosplay I'm doing later on in the year, and then I found this little piece of win...<333

snowkirby
08-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Aw crap I like how I just got hair mascara off of eBay and now I saw this tutorial XD;;

This is amazing! I can't wait to try it out! I use acrylics a lot for my cosplay and plushies, so this is no problem to me lol! Thanks so much for this tutorial; now I'm not worried if my mascara doesn't work (it's blue), and it solves my Terra cosplay problem, b/c the wig is a seafoam green lol ;;

Chipface
08-25-2008, 12:24 AM
This is actually a really good idea. For my Grimmjow cosplay I just used facepaint but I think I'll use this method from now on.

jusdepomme
08-25-2008, 07:17 PM
just make sure you let the glue dry before applying the paint because if you're not doing so, the paint won't come out really nicely

DesertLily
08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
This...this....I love you. This is fantastic. I was afraid I'd have to bleach my eyebrows or something, but the results I've seen in this thread look amazing and I'm glad I won't have to do anything permanent to get eyebrows that work for a blonde character.

MayonakaAme
08-25-2008, 11:44 PM
You're fantastic. :D

Black_Dog
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the closer up, Black Dog. It actually does look convincing. I stand corrected! Thanks again.

Hah, no prob! I had to try it to believe it, and had the same revelation you did. :]

Sakurai_Atsushi
09-02-2008, 04:18 AM
What color is the best to get a convincing blonde though. I was thinking gold, but I don't want it if it's going to be shiny..

My friend suggested brown, actually, but don't they have a bronze or something?

I think gold would be more brownish-blonde if it didn't have sparkles, but then, would anyone actually see the sparkles unless they got close to my face or something?

Emiri_chan
09-02-2008, 06:13 AM
this method sound really good. but i have a couple of questions for people who have tried it:

How realistic does it look?

Can you move your eyebrows easily when done?
(yeah a weird question i know but i use my eyebrows alot when im talking!)

I have heard that acrylic paint shouldnt be used on skin, so is it safe to use especcially near your eyes?

When you take it off are your eyebrows still intact?
(im not very fond of being eyebrowless :/ )

thanks alot!

yafromuk
09-02-2008, 03:31 PM
this method sound really good. but i have a couple of questions for people who have tried it:

How realistic does it look?

Can you move your eyebrows easily when done?
(yeah a weird question i know but i use my eyebrows alot when im talking!)

I have heard that acrylic paint shouldnt be used on skin, so is it safe to use especcially near your eyes?

When you take it off are your eyebrows still intact?
(im not very fond of being eyebrowless :/ )

thanks alot!

It looks very realistic, especially if you match the eyebrow color to your wig color (the same shade or a shade a little darker looks good) and if you shape your eyebrows before doing this method (ie. make sure your eyebrows look nice already).

I didn't have any problems with moving my eyebrows and I used this method for all four days of Anime Expo.

I also didn't have any problems removing the glue or paint and my eyebrows stayed on my face like they're supposed to =). Just scrub gently with soap and warm/hot water and you should be fine.

If you're worried about how it might work or look then try it out before your con.

(As for the danger. I can't really comment but it didn't affect me.)

Good luck =)

november.eyes
09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
What color is the best to get a convincing blonde though. I was thinking gold, but I don't want it if it's going to be shiny..

My friend suggested brown, actually, but don't they have a bronze or something?

I think gold would be more brownish-blonde if it didn't have sparkles, but then, would anyone actually see the sparkles unless they got close to my face or something?

For blonde hair I find it works best to have a colour one or 2 shades darker than your wig colour. Just remember if you want to make paint that is a blonde colour darker add brown instead of black, as black will turn the colour green-ish.

For the picture in the tutorial I used FolkArt's "honeycomb" and mixed it with a bit of white. I find that's the best colour to use for darker blondes. I haven't tried it for lighter platinum blondes though.

Keep in mind that sparkles may make it appear as though you're sweating haha XD

Sakurai_Atsushi
09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
For blonde hair I find it works best to have a colour one or 2 shades darker than your wig colour. Just remember if you want to make paint that is a blonde colour darker add brown instead of black, as black will turn the colour green-ish.

For the picture in the tutorial I used FolkArt's "honeycomb" and mixed it with a bit of white. I find that's the best colour to use for darker blondes. I haven't tried it for lighter platinum blondes though.

Keep in mind that sparkles may make it appear as though you're sweating haha XD

Ahh! Thanks :3

mochi-snack
09-02-2008, 09:20 PM
THANK YOU~
I have had trouble with the eyeliner trick, considering it always sticks to my skin under my eyebrows, and I don't want to scrub too hard.

I know I'll be using your advice for all of my future cosplays!

JVCA
09-02-2008, 11:06 PM
For most blondes, I imagine the paint colour 'yellow ochre' would be perfect. That's what I'm planning on using. It's sort of a browny-yellow ish kind of colour.

FyreGothChylde
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
This worked out wonderfully for me..thanks so much!

yoimvic
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I have been attempting this method since before Oatakon,and still have not gotten the fantastic results displayed on this forum :( I've been using FolkArt paint, waited for the glue to dry completely before painting,waxed/plucked/brushed my eyebrows. Everytime I finish painting, my some of the individual eyebrow hairs (which are very black, and fairly thin) do not retain the new color. It is apparent that they have been colored, but the black "shows" underneath. Sadly, this is not mere matter of my eyebrows not looking realistic;the truth of the matter is they look utterly terrible. Has anyone else had this problem, or experienced something similar? Any tips for getting complete coverage?

Cosplay_Rose
09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Wow! That's amazing =O I must try this just for the heck of it! lol My eyebrows go with blonde or brown hair pretty well and that's all I end up cosplaying as, but I will definitely keep this in mind when I need other colors. I'm writing this down! lol

kanancom
09-03-2008, 08:53 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! *bows deeply*

I am going as Sakura to AWA and was freaking out about my dark eyebrows and how to turn them pink; I was going to get some hair highlighter that this other cosplayer Ami Yuy used, but its damn expensive. This saved me a lot! I just got to remember not to rub my eyebrows too much during the con.

Question: Does the glue ever crack? Does it ever become that stiff, like could I do weird facial expressions and it stay?

JVCA
09-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Any tips for getting complete coverage?
Question: How thick are you putting the glue on? You could try putting on more layers of glue and or paint. Otherwise, try buying a higher viscosity paint. Cheapie paints aren't very thick, and will often show through the colours beneath them. High viscosity paints are much thicker, and don't have this problem. (Please note that I haven't actually tried this tutorial myself yet, and am just theorising on the basis of what I've learnt about paint in art at school. n_n; )

Question: Does the glue ever crack? Does it ever become that stiff, like could I do weird facial expressions and it stay?
Again, not that I've done this tutorial myself, but theoretically, it shouldn't. PVA/School Glue (whatever you call it in your country, seems to be different everywhere) is quite flexible, and while it'll be stiffer than not having anything, I should imagine you should still have most of your freedom to eyebrow waggle. :3

november.eyes
09-06-2008, 08:16 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! *bows deeply*

Nope. The glue never cracks, paint never chips. Think of it as... putting hair gel over your eyebrows, same sort of idea

And yes, ofcourse you can move your eyebrows. Haha, I'd be very concerned if you couldn't.

Like I said, it feels like dried hairgel :)

jusdepomme
09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
yes the first few minutes, you'll find it weird to have your eyebrows glued. It's not a sensation we are familiar with. But I can guarantie that by the end of the day, you won't feel like something is stick to your face anymore.

kanancom
09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Nope. The glue never cracks, paint never chips. Think of it as... putting hair gel over your eyebrows, same sort of idea

And yes, ofcourse you can move your eyebrows. Haha, I'd be very concerned if you couldn't.

Like I said, it feels like dried hairgel :)

I tried it last night and it works AWESOME!! I can't wait for the con~

kurami
09-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I tried and OMG!!!It works!!!! Really awesome
Full thanks!!!

CatInTheHat
09-20-2008, 04:40 PM
I loveyou forever!

Sh!bby
09-20-2008, 08:44 PM
...thank you forever for this! I'm going to have to use this to cover my boyfriend's black eyebrows for Dante (lol SILVER-WHITE). :] I used a creme eyeshadow stick before, and while it worked okay, it kept rubbing off.

I have an extensive collection of FolkArt paints and can pick up a school glue stick tomorrow.

(I love you so very very much)

xLittleTacox
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Arigato gozaimasu! This helped me alot ^_^

DatSephirothDude
09-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I will be trying this sometime this week. I got the glue and brush, but not the paint. Cant wait, I will post my results!

caineyamiyasha
09-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Woooohhh awesome method.

Thanks for writing this. I would have never thought of this.

Sakurai_Atsushi
09-21-2008, 10:25 PM
I tried it~ it works well.

I could use a little more practice though XD

chris-chan
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks! I just dyed my hair orange for both October and for Kain from vampire Knight (which i'm cospalying at Anime Supercon on November 1st and 2nd) but I was always told not to dye the eyebrows, so this helps with temporary dyeing! Also, for thos still sceptecle (I know I spelt that wrong) on using school glue on hair. My avatar picture with my mohawk, that was styled using only Roseart school glue (about 25 cents a bottle) and nothing else, and would stay up for the whole day and could actually be slept in with it only caving in a little, and I just use a little amount.

kalisaen
10-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the tutorial! Very effective and super cheap. Never would have thought of it myself.

WigginOutCrazy
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
This is amazingly awesome! *bookmarks*
I have dark brown hair (almost black) and my eyes brows are this way too obviously.

This will be so useful!
I was worried at first about roleplaying as Roxas from KH - but now my worries are gone!~

Viveeh
10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Omg, thanks so much for this! It's so... simple. XD But looks like it works. XO
I'll need red eyebrows with a weird shape for a future cosplay costume... This is the first thing I'll try.

AnnaCleo
10-11-2008, 05:17 PM
OMG!,..

i am soooo gonna try this! i need to anyway... ^^..

Mesonoxian
10-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I am so excited to use this method! I bought the glue and the paint already, and I'm planning to try it out soon. I'll try and get pictures up after I try it out.

Tsu-Tsu-Dae
10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Black eyebrowed Allen Walker

Very unprofessional

this is of great help :bigtu:

adrawer4ever
10-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Oh how I wish I found this tutorial about three months ago. *headdesk*

My biggest qualm was not being able to lighten my eyebrows for a blond cosplay,
which irked me especially since I had gone to the trouble of bleaching my hair for the costume.

BUT!

Now I know. And this is a pretty simple idea I think I can do, I bet it could even work for having that fake "shaved" eyebrows look too.

Thanks for sharing!

PrincessPhoenix
10-30-2008, 05:19 PM
November you're a genius! Can't wait til I get to try this out ^.^

hokagegirl
11-07-2008, 02:16 PM
o.o ahh wah!! this looks like fun i'm gonna try it out :D

3half
11-30-2008, 12:48 AM
GODSEND! I love you for posting this. Now I can be a superspecialawesomely dedicated cosplayer :"D

Etoile-sama
12-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I used a lip liner pencil last year to tint my eyebrows an obnoxious shade of pink for my Lucy costume. But it was a pain in the butt to get the stuff off my face, and my forehead was red for a while afterward, which sucked when I decided to put on my Zelda costume. I am totally going to try this for my Sailor Neptune costume this year... I hadn't even begun worrying about how I was going to turn my eyebrows TURQUOISE.

Thanks for the tutorial! <3 -bookmarks-

RadRage
12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh mah Gawd! this is so great! XD
I made a terrible attempt on my white eyebrows for Pegasus and they looked like a wet mess! (Thank God for the hair being in the way)
I have to try this now for D-Tac...>.>

PeaceOfMind
12-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Just wondering, would this work to make my eyebrows blond? Cause you can't really get blond paint that isn't just yellow... can you?

Kapalaka
12-14-2008, 09:01 PM
I just use acrylic paint. Works for me!

I've also heard friends tell me they use colored mascara? I've never tried it.

EgnirysFaye
12-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Who knew something so simple can be so incredibly useful?

My eyebrows are already blonde, but for other wig colours (I'll be using black and a pink colour soon. Especially with black, light-coloured eyebrows might look odd...) I might just actually just give it a try ^^

Thanks!

doryishness
12-23-2008, 08:17 PM
genius idea! Thanks a lot!

shuichi2cute
12-27-2008, 07:14 PM
thank you i really needed this information!

Mattman
12-28-2008, 09:11 PM
This method is awsome! My friend always mentions how much my eyebrows seem to stand out when I've got my red wig on. No more.
I tried this out when I first heard about it with the red. It worked really well. But I wasn't quite sure how it would work with Blonde. Because my eyebrows are really dark. But I tried it today and it looked awsome!

Nyxie-x-Pixie
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
ahmazing!i wouldve never thought of this ^^ thankies!

Barairo Ningyou
12-31-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm planning to do this for Ohayocon, so I tried it for the first time today...and it didn't work very well. D: I think I'm doing something wrong - are the eyebrows supposed to lay flat against your head after applying the glue? Because mine didn't, and when I tried to paint over them, you could see bits of dark eyebrow underneath. Not pretty. D: I need to do this in both blonde and white/silver for Fai and Gin, so having my dark eyebrows showing through really, really stands out. I tried adding more paint but that just made it kind of clumpy. Am I doing something wrong? D:

KakeraのTsuki
12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
o.O Huh. Yes, they're supposed to lay flat. Never had that problem before... I had to paint my eyebrows white, and no black hairs didn't really show through, though some did the first time I did it.

You're not brushing in a back-and-forth motion, are you? That's about the only problem-causing tidbit I can think of. Or, maybe you have thick eyebrows? I suspect it wouldn't work very well if that's the case. Well, even if they're not think, you can always try trimming them a bit to see if that'll help.

Barairo Ningyou
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I dunno, it's odd DX They were kind of raised from my forehead. Maybe it's just the way they grow, or the brush I was using? I wasn't going back and forth at all, and my eyebrows aren't thick. I'll try again and see about using a different brush and trying harder to get them flat. I think I just screwed up, since I didn't actually look at this thread right before doing it.

JVCA
01-01-2009, 02:58 AM
You may find that doing a couple of layers of the glue helps - the glue is what you use to get it flat, while the paint is just for colour. I would try using as much glue as you need to get it flat, and then try the paint. :3

Kapalaka
01-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I know what you're thinking,
"What?! Is she mad? A two dollar method for turning my black eyebrows perfectly blonde?! BLASPHEMY! Where's my pitchfork! D:< "

Overall Questions:
Q: How long does this technique take?
A: Around 5 minutes. We did it in the parking lot of the con.

XD!! Thanks for the entertaining and helpful tutorial! I can't wait to try this out. I normally just use straight acrylic paint, but I'm curious to see how the glue affects my eyebrows close-up.

KakeraのTsuki
01-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Complete flatness that is on the same level as your skin is quite impossible, I'd think. ^^; You can get them flat enough to not show up in most pictures, though. I used an angled brush when I was doing this. It gives you really nice, crisp lines compared to a regular round.

I found that using more glue makes it peel off more easily (thus more prone to accidents), though it does make your eyebrows lay flatter and smoother. A compromise, I guess.

Biancamella
01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
*Instant bookmark* Oh thank you, thank you, thank you. I really needed this... and I hope it works for neon green eyebrows (C.C. cos) and sky blue ones (Rei Ayanami cos). I suppose a skin-tone paint would give the impression of not having eyebrows at all? 'Cause that's what I need for L xD

ultima_flare
01-11-2009, 12:02 AM
can i make brown eyebrows if mine are black?

zomgmissy
01-11-2009, 07:36 AM
can i make brown eyebrows if mine are black?
Yes.
You can get any paint color that you can find with this method. If there is brown paint, you can have brown eyebrows.

ShiNo_Usagi
01-11-2009, 09:19 AM
wow, this thread is a god send! I have been trying to get my eyebrows to better match my cosplays for a while now, especially when it comes to blond or crazy colored wigs. I will have to give this a try =)

RoxasRoxsMySoxs
01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
This is an awesome thread! I'm so glad that I have a way to do my eyebrows now~~ Thank you soo much!!!

Senjaku
01-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks SO much! <3

kaiyrah
01-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Ack, I wish this thread was out when I was cosplaying Hitsugaya! Now that costume is retired and I have no more opportunities to wow people with white eyebrows.

Ah well, I'll keep this in mind for future costumes that need funky-colored eyebrows. Thanks so much! =]

Miss Miri
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
I love this. I turned my thick, dark eyebrows bright turquoise for Formal!Eureka - people kept coming up to me and mentioning that they didn't often see people go all out with their eyebrows, and how cool it was.

And when I washed it off, my eyebrows felt all soft and clean. =D

gravipull
01-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Wow, now I can TEMPORARILY have bright red eyebrows insteda of becoming the school's newest awkward turtle! OMG yay!!!

Jackofalltrades
01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
This looks like a good idea and I have to try it with my past failures!

I do have some questions: why would you need to stiffen your eyebrows with the glue? Can't you just use a washable paint? Would stiff eyebrows be uncomfortable/feel weird?
I am looking to make my eyebrows thicker and bigger to crossplay, would you do anything differently for this?

alacorn
01-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I thoughtpeople would like to know that if you arent getting full coverage with this method its probably because your eyebrow hairs dont all go the same way. one of my friends has curly, cow licked eyebrows that she smooth out every morning with eyebrow wax but for you guys with this problem Id suggest first brushing the glue aginst the grain(ea. from your ear to your nose) of your eyebrow, smoothing it down with a brush going with the grain of your brow (from nose to ear), and then brushing on more glue going with the grain.

alacorn
01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
This looks like a good idea and I have to try it with my past failures!

I do have some questions: why would you need to stiffen your eyebrows with the glue? Can't you just use a washable paint? Would stiff eyebrows be uncomfortable/feel weird?
I am looking to make my eyebrows thicker and bigger to crossplay, would you do anything differently for this?

if you have dark eyebrows simply putting on a coat of paint wont work too well. butting on the glue first means you only have to coat once or twice and it keeps the paint from flaking

ShiNo_Usagi
01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
So, I tried this method the other night and got a somewhat-decent result. With the glue am I supposed to put enough coats for my eyebrows to be white? Because after letting the glue dry after one coat, it was clear and my eyebrows rather stiff, I added the paint and it just didn't look natural... maybe it's because I have super thin eyebrows but should I maybe do a coat of white before adding the color?

JVCA
01-23-2009, 02:22 AM
I thoughtpeople would like to know that if you arent getting full coverage with this method its probably because your eyebrow hairs dont all go the same way. one of my friends has curly, cow licked eyebrows that she smooth out every morning with eyebrow wax but for you guys with this problem Id suggest first brushing the glue aginst the grain(ea. from your ear to your nose) of your eyebrow, smoothing it down with a brush going with the grain of your brow (from nose to ear), and then brushing on more glue going with the grain.

This is great advice, thanks! :D

~Felix~
01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Wish I read this earlier D:

Like, several months.

~Felix~
01-26-2009, 11:21 PM
So, I tried this method the other night and got a somewhat-decent result. With the glue am I supposed to put enough coats for my eyebrows to be white? Because after letting the glue dry after one coat, it was clear and my eyebrows rather stiff, I added the paint and it just didn't look natural... maybe it's because I have super thin eyebrows but should I maybe do a coat of white before adding the color?

Perhaps mix the paint with the glue, thus thinning the paint and only doing one layer?

Sorry to double post.

alacorn
01-27-2009, 04:40 AM
So I've tried this method with a few different twist and with my thin eyebrows I have found that mixing the paint with the glue and using a mascara brush as an aplicator is most natural looking way to do my eyebrows in less then 10 min. it would look more natural if i had time to go through and glue every hair and then paint every hair but I dont so this works. XP

november.eyes
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM

The glue is needed mostly as a protective covering for your eyebrow hair. As most of us who paint know, acrylic paint is not very fun to get out of hair and clothing. I once accidentally got white acrylic paint in my hair and it wouldn't come out for 2 washes without ripping out hair :\. Not to mention it usually never comes out of clothing. I don't think any of us want to chance walking around with clumps of our eyebrow hair missing XD

Stiff eyebrows feel the same as putting a layer of gel over your eyebrows. It takes a few minutes to get used to, but its not as if you can't move your eyebrows at all.

When you say "thicker and bigger" I am assuming you mean something like Rock Lee's eyebrows from Naruto. In this case, I would try overlapping the glue further onto the skin around your eyebrow. Do 2 (or if needed 3) coats of the glue so you don't notice the hairs of your real eyebrow randomly within the painted one, and then try the paint.
Let me know how it turns out. I'd be happy to help more.

Also, for those who are intested, I'll probably be adding onto this tutorial closer to the summer months as my friend will be dressing as a character with very small eyebrows, so we'll need to cover up half of her eyebrows to look like skin. I hope it will help those who are asking about how the change the shape of your eyebrows a bit. :)

Cabbage Oh
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
i'm so glad i saw this, i was worried i wouldn't be able to get my eyebrows the right shade of light blue for katsucon. what a good idea lol

Jackofalltrades
01-28-2009, 11:46 AM
The glue is needed mostly as a protective covering for your eyebrow hair. As most of us who paint know, acrylic paint is not very fun to get out of hair and clothing. I once accidentally got white acrylic paint in my hair and it wouldn't come out for 2 washes without ripping out hair :\. Not to mention it usually never comes out of clothing. I don't think any of us want to chance walking around with clumps of our eyebrow hair missing XD

Stiff eyebrows feel the same as putting a layer of gel over your eyebrows. It takes a few minutes to get used to, but its not as if you can't move your eyebrows at all.

When you say "thicker and bigger" I am assuming you mean something like Rock Lee's eyebrows from Naruto. In this case, I would try overlapping the glue further onto the skin around your eyebrow. Do 2 (or if needed 3) coats of the glue so you don't notice the hairs of your real eyebrow randomly within the painted one, and then try the paint.
Let me know how it turns out. I'd be happy to help more.

Also, for those who are intested, I'll probably be adding onto this tutorial closer to the summer months as my friend will be dressing as a character with very small eyebrows, so we'll need to cover up half of her eyebrows to look like skin. I hope it will help those who are asking about how the change the shape of your eyebrows a bit. :)

That does help! I can't wait to try it out!

OnyxMars
01-28-2009, 06:36 PM
OoooOoo! Thanks so much for the guide! Now I can make my Peter Pan cosplay perfect ;P

Lmao, I also remember you guys last Anime North. When I was reading the tutorial and looking at the pictures of your DN Angel costumes, I went like "Hey..... those costumes look alot familiar to the ones I saw at AN 08...." And then I saw your signature and I was right ;D

I remember you guys were just in the same pose for such a long time, as people kept asking to take your picture. You would spread your wings in a sort of battle pose- It was really cool ;P

crystaldragon
02-01-2009, 01:57 AM
*glares at old Sakura pics* Why couldn't have found this BEFORE I cosplayed Sakura?!
lol, I can't wait to try it! (It sounds like it works really well!!)

saline89
02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I never heard of this before! This is cool, lol. I'm definitly going to give it a try.

melovemanga
02-03-2009, 12:33 AM
this is a really good idea ur sure smart :) lol now i know just hope i dont get paint in my hair that wouldn't be fun

ShiNo_Usagi
02-03-2009, 01:02 AM
So, after trying this numerous times and not really being happy with the result I just went ahead and skipped the glue and just used a q-tip and put the paint onto my eyebrows and got a decent result (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/DemonLordEtna/SHUFFLE/Primula_Wig005-2.jpg).

ExplodingClay
02-03-2009, 04:16 PM
YES! No more eyebrow bleaching! I did a test and turned one of my eyebrows white.. And colored one of them rainbow (i don't know why XD). It turned out fantastic. This really is a great method.

Xylina_Furiae
02-07-2009, 03:01 PM
That looks fantastic. What a wonderfully awesome technique! I'll be using this, thanks. :)

Timmah
02-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Yay, now I won't have to take bleach to my eyebrows. :p

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to try it out, but it seems like a fantastic idea.

hatchii
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Omg, this was SO HELPFUL!
Thank you SO MUCH!! :D

Hikaruhime
02-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Just thought I would add in another testimonial by way of photos! ^^ My eyebrows are normally black.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1906600/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1906711/

Tesh-chan
03-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for starting this thread! :) I tried it today and it came out pretty well. My only problem was that in some areas the paint looked like it was globbed on. Perhaps it was because of my glue though- I used a glue stick. But when I took photos of myself you can't really see my mistakes. I'll work on perfecting it.

Here's one photo: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1935027

Again, thanks for the technique! :D

Kiwis
03-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Nice tut. But um, I think instead of glue...you should use gel or wax. It's more appropriate XDD;;.

JVCA
03-10-2009, 11:06 PM
The acrylic paint doesn't stick to those very well, which is why glue is used.

Eva Yui
03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Genius. My makeup method doesn't work as well with blond/light colors.

hypersapiens
03-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for this. Great technique. Worked like a charm on Kakashi here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypersapiens/3319507124/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypersapiens/3321159275/
Be sure to tweeze stray hairs before using it though.

salmon-hime
03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for this tutorial!~!
It will come in handy for my cosplay in July =D and also for my sisters... stupid purple hair >.<

Chi-Nasagawa
03-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Awesome! I'll totally use this when I'm doing my Konata cosplay! Thanks a bunch! *bookmark & hug*

Sillybean
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I love this tutorial!!!! I have super thick black eyebrows and now i have found a great method to get them pink and green and all the colors of the rainbow!!!

Aoiro
03-16-2009, 01:54 AM
This is just too perfect. A thread I need to save, for SURE. Love for practicality~! x]

SmartGem
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
omg. wow. thank you so much! now i can have green eyebrows for Akira (princess x princess & family complex)!!! THANK YOU!

lawrencecasher
03-21-2009, 12:11 AM
thnx for the tip!

Constance L.
03-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Been looking for this for a while. Thanks for the lovely tut!
(btw saw you at AN, told you but telling you again, your wings rock.)

TR Rose
03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
I tried the technique, and unfortunately it just didn't work for me. You could still see my eyebrows through the paint, even when I put multiple layers on, and it just looked really weird up close. The glue made my eyebrow hairs stick together in clumps (no matter how much I tried to smooth them down and then they had a gross-looking texture when I painted them.

:(

Patches
03-28-2009, 07:15 PM
I have to agree that it does look kinda weird if you are really close up to someone whose used this method but I love the overall results for photos and such.

My first try with it (http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5587/franmakeuptest.png)

hypersapiens, yours turned out looking really nice!

ShinobiXikyu
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I just tried it out; I have to agree that up close it looks weird and kind of obvious (especially on my eyebrows; mine aren't thick, but very broad and not too shapely), but in photos and from a few feet away it looks quite good.

o0Hitsuzen0o
04-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I love this tutorial. It worked pretty well for me. I'm not sure if anyone's brought this up before, but I decided to try to take it a step further. I took foundation and covered some of the lower hairs in an attempt to sort of shape the eyebrows. Now, I had a headband on, so I didn't have to do it all the way, but I was fairly pleased with the results.
Here's a link: http://o0moonlight-sonata0o.deviantart.com/art/Lavi-Preview-118343071
And there are more links in the description.

O-S-O-D
04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
This tutorial will sure help in the future, I have a few few brighter coloured wigs and have never really changed my eyebrow colour. I suppose if I want to take my cosplaying up a level this is the thing I need to do for cons/expo ^_^

MDA
04-08-2009, 10:55 PM
This'll be very useful for making my boyfriend's dark bushy eyebrows red!
Although, his eyebrows need plucking beforehand, as they are a bitt too thick for Axel...

teardrops2m
04-09-2009, 01:26 AM
I wonder if this would work for elaborate hairstyles I know some people use school glue instead of gel so it might work. Also its possible to use powder when its still slightly sticky for a more natural hue.

haru_sohma_lvr
04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Does this work with regular hair? [like, if I wanted to color my hairline.]

DetentionMisfit
04-17-2009, 05:47 PM

Ya know, I bet it would. I actually haven't tried this yet, but if it works with eyebrows, I bet it would work with regular hair!

Kitsoru
04-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks very much for the tutorial! I have insanely dark, thick eyebrows and very fair skin, so when I wear a blue or pink wig, they really stand out XD;

CCKip
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Awesome tutorial!!! I've been wondering how to get my eyebrows...white-grayish so this should help...and I did try it, on one of my eyebrows cause I've got church in an hour and I'd probably look funny with whitish eyebrows XD Thank God I found all these materials laying around.
Anyway, I tried it and I could seem to completely cover my eyebrows...which are like blackish brown. The blackish brown always kinda showed through...then again I rushed the drying process of the glue by using a hair dryer...do you have to wait for the paint to dry before it actually looks good?

november.eyes
04-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Yes, it does. Some of my friends dark hair was popping out from under her wig by her ears, and so I did the same process to that hair, glueing it back and then painting over it.

My only advice is to make sure you only get paint on the parts of your hair that's covered by the glue, otherwise you're going to have tons of fun trying to wash acrylic paint out of your hair for a couple days. I obviously don't recommend doing it to your entire head, but an inch of so of your hairline should be fine ^^

Anyway, I tried it and I could seem to completely cover my eyebrows...which are like blackish brown. The blackish brown always kinda showed through...then again I rushed the drying process of the glue by using a hair dryer...do you have to wait for the paint to dry before it actually looks good?

You probably are not getting enough glue onto your eyebrow. Have you tryed applying glue while your hair is brushed against the grain (comb your eyebrows towards your nose so that you can get glue closer to the roots of your eyebrow hair) Then comb them back to neaten them out. Then apply a layer of glue ontop if you feel it might help and try the paint.

Or a couple extra layer of the paint couldn't hurt. ^^ I hope this helps.

CCKip
04-23-2009, 08:07 AM
You probably are not getting enough glue onto your eyebrow. Have you tryed applying glue while your hair is brushed against the grain (comb your eyebrows towards your nose so that you can get glue closer to the roots of your eyebrow hair) Then comb them back to neaten them out. Then apply a layer of glue ontop if you feel it might help and try the paint.

Or a couple extra layer of the paint couldn't hurt. ^^ I hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out when I get the time, and probably just keep working at it over the next few days until I get it to perfection =3

Enkai
04-29-2009, 01:30 AM
Hmmm....do you know if by color matching acrylic paint with a person's skin tone if you can fake thinner brows? I get that foundation won't work over top, but I consider myself pretty good with color matching; I think I could get a color quite close to their skin tone and be able to blend the rest in with powder.

A couple guys from my cosplay group are cosplaying *extremely* girly guys and have thicker brows, and I doubt either one of them want to do something quite so permanent as plucking (which isn't permanent, I KNOW, but the amount of plucking that would be required is kinda excessive). I've kinda taken it upon myself to do their makeup to get them looking as convincing as possible, but I'd like it to be removable.

RavenxAlmasy
04-29-2009, 02:11 AM
o.o this is awesome...this i will have to try this weekend XD I actually used those hair spray colors on my eyebrows last weekend for my Sakura cosplay. Worked nicely but the skin below my eyebrows is now red and irritated x_x not a nice side effect so glue method it is...if i can get it right x_x;;

Dango!
05-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Wow, this is REALLY helpful! o_o Thanks so much for this.

I was wondering:

1. Will it drip/smear if I sweat? If I sweat and accidently blot/run the back of my hand against the eye brows?

2. Will white school glue work? [Elmer's kind.]

Sutefeni*
05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
You're my hero !
I always wondered how people did this I plan on being Naruto for my next convention but I don't want my dark eyebrows contrasting with y blonde wig. THANK YOU <3

Valentine_x
05-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I tried this method again recently with my new Cloud wig and omg it's the best method evar!
It completely covered my black eyebrows and made them nice and blonde ^___^

skydragon119
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=Valentine_x;2935577]I tried this method again recently with my new Cloud wig and omg it's the best method evar!
It completely covered my black eyebrows and made them nice and blonde ^___^[/QU
it is a spachial color (for mekup) or just reguler paint ???
becuse i nide to make main blonde to

skydragon119
05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I tried this method again recently with my new Cloud wig and omg it's the best method evar!
It completely covered my black eyebrows and made them nice and blonde ^___^

november.eyes
05-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Hmmm....do you know if by color matching acrylic paint with a person's skin tone if you can fake thinner brows? I get that foundation won't work over top, but I consider myself pretty good with color matching; I think I could get a color quite close to their skin tone and be able to blend the rest in with powder.

Yes, you can use this tutorial to change the shape of your eyebrows. I took out my paints and glue and managed to make my right eyebrow completely disappear under skin coloured paint, glue and makeup. I will probably be putting up a tutorial this week to help those who want to make their eyebrow disappear or change their eyebrow shape, but in case I do not have enough time,
- make sure there is plenty of glue covering the bottom edge of your eyebrow, since you'll probably be wanting to thin the eyebrows away from the eyes.
- Be patient when mixing the paint, just because it matches your concealer makeup, does not mean it matches your skin.
- I know you'll want to try to paste on coverup makeup right overtop the glue, or mix some liquid makeup into your paint to match the colour easier. Do not do this, start with glue, then paint. Once the paint is completely dry, blend in the paint better by applying concealer to your eyebrow and surrounding area up to your forehead with a makeup sponge, NOT your fingers. You can also use copious amounts of powder on top XD It was a very fiddly process, but I adored the outcome. I wish you luck, haha.

I was wondering:
1. Will it drip/smear if I sweat? If I sweat and accidently blot/run the back of my hand against the eye brows?
2. Will white school glue work? [Elmer's kind.]

1. No, acrylic paint drys much like a latex plastic. It will stay on unless you literally wash the glue off from underneith. No smearing or dripping, I promise XD Think of it as coloured gel, only less see through and longer lasting.
2. Yes, Elmer's school glue will work, I have also used it.

It helps to bring your wig to a store and match it to a colour of paint. The colour used in the tutorial was "Honeycomb" from the paint brand "Folkart" mixed with a little bit of white paint to make it more blonde coloured.

weenie_
05-11-2009, 11:31 PM
First off, this is probably my favorite tutorial that I've ever used. Its simple and easy AND it actually works!

Second, if you want another example of how it looks, I have some pictures of my face in Neliel (Bleach) make up with seafoam green eyebrows. They needed to be a little darker to look more realistic, but that is my own fault in not mixing the color well enough. Anyways...

Thanks so much for this great tutorial!

winnster
05-15-2009, 07:09 PM
i wonder if it is it possible to use concealer and foundation instead of acrylic paint over the glue, to conceal eyebrows? 8DDD *runs off to try*

YohK
05-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Thank you!! This has me saved from dyeing my eyebrows!!

Seoul
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Okay this i may have to try! Other things i've tried havent worked to my satisfaction and i have black eyebrows too.

christeenapants
05-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey guys!
november.eyes, this is an awesome idea. I have very dark eyebrows and just tried this method for myself. I used Elmer's School Glue and some DecoCeramcoat acrylic paint, then cleaned up the edges with some astringent on a Q-tip:
http://www.ceeveeillustration.com/images/misc/eyebrowpaint.png

It was very easy to wash off with warm water and a washcloth.
Thank you, november.eyes!

chicpunk
05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
it's taking FOREVER when im doing ma cosplay make-up T.T

mousegirl
06-02-2009, 11:37 AM
thank you so much for this!

haovnp2
06-08-2009, 11:02 AM
False Eyelashes and Fake Eyelashes

Fabulous reusable false eyelashes in every color known to man.
The highest quality false eyelashes for professionally applied look. Easy to use.
Every lash is carefully hand made, with 100% sterilized human hair in black or hair-like fiber in colored lashes, to perfect uniformity and uncompromising quality.
Instructions:
1. False eyelashes may be trimmed in width or length to suit your eye size or personal preference. Try original length before cutting.
2. Apply fake eyelash glue sparingly to lash band. Wait 10 seconds for adhesive to become sticky.
3. Position false eyelashes slightly above your natural lash and press ends into place. Gently press across entire lash until set.
4. To remove, gently peel false eyelashes band off lid, starting at outer corner. Remove adhesive from band and place your false eyelashes back to the tray for re-use.
False eyelashes wholesale available.

Soliel_Hime
06-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Wow! This is great, and so much better than the alternative of bleaching and dying my eyebrows. Majority of my cosplays involve lighter colored hair, and black eyebrows just made my wigs look even more fake. Thanks a ton for the tutorial.

Reinax
06-16-2009, 06:24 PM
There's no risk that the glue might tear out eyebrow hair, is there? I figure it should be fine if I just wash it off, but has anyone had the experience of losing substantial amounts of hair?

dorapoch
06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
I found a wonderful product at my local sally after doing some online research.

They're called Hair Highlighters... and they come in tubes with ranging colors. If you have dark eyebrows (like myself), I use foundation and powder to cover the eyebrows...or concealer, then color them with these cosmetic highlighter...hmm...I should try them out and see which one works the best. The reason I'd rather use this vs glue and paint is because of the danger it may cause if those gets in your eye. I'm a safety freak and am very careful as to what I put on my face. hehe

I'll post again later after I try them out. It should work though, I only half tried them out just to see if they work...and they work without the base, but u want them well to show in pictures.

DOC_Chaos
06-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I just discovered a product at a mekup artist trade show that makes this process oh so very easy. Skin Illustrator has come out with a pallete for the very purpose of changing eyebrow colors. The pallete is alcohol activated makeup so it will not sweat off and the demo gave great results. I'll admit it is not cheap but I've used alcohol actived makeup before and you more then get your moneys worth.

november.eyes
06-21-2009, 08:08 AM
There's no risk that the glue might tear out eyebrow hair, is there? I figure it should be fine if I just wash it off, but has anyone had the experience of losing substantial amounts of hair?

No, there's no risk. It quite literally just washes off. Unless you are attempting to peel off the glue and paint right off your eyebrow while its dry, which I don't recommend, it hurts quite alot. And even then, I've found people only lose 1 or 2 hairs. Eyebrow hair is suprisingly resistant haha.

But no, I've used this technique on 4 different people as well as myself countless times and have never lost any hair in the process by washing it off.

wisecraxx
06-21-2009, 06:44 PM
@november.eyes: Like a lot of other people have said: Thank you very much for this helpful tutorial.
I honestly thought it was more difficult but I'm very glad to be proved wrong.

Your costumes are awesome, by the way. :D

PurpleKiwi
06-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Just want to add my thanks for this tutorial, it worked perfectly for my friend and I! =D

Beanypop
06-26-2009, 05:53 PM
:bigtu:

This is awesome! I bought the supplies for this about a month ago, and just tried it a few minutes ago. I love the result! I'll be using it for my Harry Potter costume to make my eyebrows darker and more manly. Thanks for suggesting it!

Deuce'N'Domino
06-26-2009, 06:54 PM
I have acrylic paints that come in the toothpaste-like tubes. Can those be used?

Champuro
06-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh my god, I can't thank you enough for this! I just got a light pink wig a few days ago for my Miwako Sakurada costume and was just thinking how ridiculous my dark eyebrows look with the wig! Curse having dark brown hair!

Thanks again!

november.eyes
06-30-2009, 12:38 PM
I have acrylic paints that come in the toothpaste-like tubes. Can those be used?

Yup, I've used those. As long as its acrylic and there's glue put on your eyebrow first, you'll be fine ^^

erickste
06-30-2009, 08:43 PM
This was quite the heavenly post to see after I ordered red mascara for my brows only to find that it was stolen out of the package! >:O I do have a question though since I haven't tried this yet. So far, it looks alright on the samples I've seen, but say you want it to look not-so matted down. If you took a brow comb, would that totally ruin it? Just so that your brows are loosened up a little bit to make it look a bit more natural? I supposed I'll have to experiment with this with my friends, we've got a couple weeks to try this. :)

Jinji
07-05-2009, 05:50 AM
I hadn't even thought of coloring my eyebrows - I thought it'd be too much trouble. But after reading this, I may just give it a shot. Great tutorial! :3

skydragon119
07-07-2009, 08:56 AM
there is a substitute or i must use acrylic

Kinemortophobic
07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Thank you so much for this...I have black eyebrows and they looked funny with my Sailor Moon wig. ^-^

AkatsukiSky
07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Wow thanks too! I also have black eyebrows and I just received my blond wig, it looked so bad I was sad... now I'll try this it may look better and I have a bunch of acrylic paint, useless in my room! Now I just hope it wont look too fake :(

skydragon119
07-11-2009, 11:11 AM
can dis hold in 40 degree Celsius weather ???????

skydragon119
07-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Woooooow tried it now look good

ringochan
07-11-2009, 08:33 PM
-Deleted-

ShinobiXikyu
07-12-2009, 02:50 PM
I've actually got a few photos of me with painted eyebrows for my Vexen cosplay; I have to admit I did think it looked kind of obvious up close, but in photos you couldn't even tell it was painted. However, they did sweat mostly off after a day of baking in my cosplay. I forgot to touch them up, so my regular icky brow colour was mostly back at the day's end. X_X

(Up close makeup test) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2028302/
(Distant photo) http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2041800/

I used tan acrylic paint for my blonde wig, fyi.

BlehMunster
07-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I tried it out and it worked pretty good.
It might have worked a lot better if I waited for it to dry, but im impaitent.
I turned my black eyebrows into a nice red color (for Axel from kingdom hearts)
Im going to make Xemnas's eyebrows turn from dark brown (and very full cause its a boy) to silver. Hurray 2 dollar method!!!

THANKYOU!!

VARGAS~
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
This worked really well as a trial for a blonde cosplay, although it took me a few tries to get it to look right and not gumpy. ^ ^;;

I also used a metallic green mixture for prep for a different cosplay and it looked REALLY GREAT. My eyebrows weren't like aluminum, but they were futuristic-ish and cool, which was what I was aiming for. :3

Impure_Impulse
07-20-2009, 08:34 PM
As someone highly allergic to lots of random substances, I'll be trying this as soon as I've passed a 48 hour crook-of-the-elbow test for a rash or allergic reaction. If it works, I'll be very pleased, since it's an incredibly cheap fix for something I have problems with. Thanks.

Rosabelle334
07-23-2009, 08:39 AM
What about hiding your eyebrow completely? As you'd have to do for this
cosplay:http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3300000/Zuko-s-Honor-Wallpaper-zuko-3343044-1152-864.jpg?

crazzycat
07-30-2009, 06:36 AM
I don't like that varint it's something very chilling

King Tamaki
08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I just now tried it with elmer's stick glue and pink acrylic paint. Works and looks great for my Haruko and Shuichi cosplays!

ExTurkValentine
08-10-2009, 05:56 PM
I've been looking for something like this!!!! Thanks

digiangel90
08-11-2009, 03:07 PM
any tips on how to do this without making your eyebrows stiff?

saskatoo
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Awesome! Im so glad I found this. My eye brows are really dark and I always look like a moron when I cosplay blond people haha. And I have a white hair cosplay comming up too. Just in time!

melisa7642
08-12-2009, 10:18 PM
My grandmother won't let me do this. IS THIS SAFE? I really need to dye my eyebrows red for my Shana cosplay this weekend.

~Sango-chan~
08-14-2009, 06:32 PM
So I've tried this method with a few different twist and with my thin eyebrows I have found that mixing the paint with the glue and using a mascara brush as an aplicator is most natural looking way to do my eyebrows in less then 10 min. it would look more natural if i had time to go through and glue every hair and then paint every hair but I dont so this works. XP

Do you have a pic of the results? :angel:

GraveTheUndead
08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
My grandmother won't let me do this. IS THIS SAFE? I really need to dye my eyebrows red for my Shana cosplay this weekend.

It's definitely safe, many of my friends have done it before and I plan to do it for FanExpo as well.

Also, is it okay to keep the glue in your eyebrows for more than 2 days?

heaven_firings
08-20-2009, 12:55 AM
So I've been testing this for the last hour or so and the results I'm getting are okay at best. Typically looking better when the paint actually gets on the skin underneath, which I wasn't sure is what is supposed to be going on.

I never really thought my eyebrows were thick but they are a really dark brown. So I guess I need to know should I apply more glue i.e. apply, let dry, reapply. Also do you have to wait for it all to air dry, which takes forever when you're waiting specifically for it, or could you speed the process by using a hairdryer?

Thanks for the tutorial, also.

sacred
08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
question: does it have to be acrylic paint? can i use poster paint or watercolor? :D

~Sango-chan~
08-21-2009, 12:53 AM
question: does it have to be acrylic paint? can i use poster paint or watercolor? :D

Not 100% sure, but I think you need the acrylic paint because it thicker (poster and watercolour aren't thick enough). Acrylic paint is really nice and thick ^-^

sacred
08-21-2009, 06:02 AM
^^ ah thank you dear

another question... does the glue has to be white or transparent?
does it make a difference? LOL

chaudela
08-28-2009, 12:25 AM
I just tried this and it works great! And it stays on well! I first used a gluestick, then brushed on glue, and then painted them white and it worked great for me! It looks much better than when I just tried to use facepaint. I've got brown eyebrows..

this was the test for the white eyebrows http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2229202/

Saru-chan
08-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Woo! See! I told my brother using school glue would work! I'm trying to convince him to let me glue down his eyebrow for Prince Zuko from Avatar. We had to do this method once in color guard because our makeup was so light.

Saru-chan
08-30-2009, 01:29 PM
What about hiding your eyebrow completely? As you'd have to do for this
cosplay:http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/3300000/Zuko-s-Honor-Wallpaper-zuko-3343044-1152-864.jpg?

My brother's doing Zuko, and I'm thinking of doing a bunch of layers of glue, and then painting the eyebrow flesh colored with acrylic, and then just painting with facepaint on top of that.

MayonakaAme
08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
This was a fantastic find last convention, thank you! I had such a trouble finding a way to make my dark brown eyebrows look blonde for a Chobit's Chii cosplay.
Thank you so much! :D

JiseiHakushaku
08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
That's amazing!! :D

ryuukicho
09-01-2009, 07:02 PM
genius. <3

xXRemXx
09-04-2009, 09:01 PM
This is an awesome method! Thanks! :D

::Aerin::
09-06-2009, 11:47 AM
o-o Genius...

*So doing this this up coming con*

november.eyes
09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
^^ ah thank you dear

another question... does the glue has to be white or transparent?
does it make a difference? LOL

As long as it's washable, it should be fine either white or transparent.

Watercolour or poster paint will most probably not be thick enough to apply without being transparent. Another reason is because acrylic paint, dries to a plastic like material, it won't sweat off in the heat, as poster paint and watercolour are much more water based than acrylic, there is a higher chance that it may smudge, or smear even after it's dried. Although, I haven't tried using other types of paint, so I can't fully answer your question :D

I need to know should I apply more glue i.e. apply, let dry, reapply. Also do you have to wait for it all to air dry, which takes forever when you're waiting specifically for it, or could you speed the process by using a hairdryer?

Lol! You can speed it up with a hairdryer XD

MightyPegasus
09-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you so much! I will try this soon.

FumikoSan
09-25-2009, 04:16 AM
This method doesn't work for me ;_; I do not know if I'm doing something wrong or it's just my eyebrows T_T

alidsalbern
09-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi Dude!!
I red your comment.Well nice information sharing,i must say.I am really pleased to see such article sharing at the community,It may remove so many wrong belief among the people.Try to share more like this in future.Thank you for the comment.

youmee400
10-01-2009, 09:42 PM
SUPER helpful!

Vensy
10-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd like to thank you guys a lot. ^_^ I've been using this for all my cosplay ever since first reading it, and people have really noticed the difference - it REALLY helps to make the costume look more complete~ X3

Now I'm crazy picky though about it. XD If a cosplay doesn't have their brows colored (but should) I go all grrr. XD

AilaY
10-03-2009, 09:10 AM
This is fantastic! Thank you so much! I was bemoaning having a pink wig for a costume party tonight and black eyebrows, and I can't wait to try this out.

FUYUMI
10-11-2009, 08:38 PM
yay ! thanks for the tutorial ! now imma go and try do my misa cosplay again xD

Ms. Jiggle
10-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Ooo, how creative. I'll have to give that a whirl for my Daniella costume. Thanks so much for the tutorial. <3

Nikko Yume
10-25-2009, 03:36 AM
WOW!!! I wanna color my eyebrows now just for the sake of it! lol

ShadowYin-Yang
11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Whao! Totally gotta try this in the future!

But first I have to ask to be sure:
I have black hair so if say my character is blonde, would this technique still work or are the colors too different?

CapriciousThief
12-06-2009, 02:11 AM
You just potentially solved a problem that's been holding me back from certain cosplays for years. Blond wigs looked terrible on me because of my black eyebrows, and other methods of lightening them didn't work.

I can't wait to try this. I'm already so excited about it, since I'm cosplaying at least three blonds this year. Thanks a bunch for the tutorial.

Nekko
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
worked pretty decently on mine and I have HOMG black eyebrows. Pink haired cosplays here I come!

ChibiTenshi
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Omg this is almost magical! X3 I have to try this soon! It will be perfect for my Ven cosplay!

Sana-san
01-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Thank you O Wise One for sharing your knowledge! :D

Rikku Al Bhed
01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
thanks ! it's really useful !

OtakuGirlEmi
02-01-2010, 10:23 PM
This sounds like a really great method, and i can't wait to try it, but I had a question. What brand and color of paint looks like a natural blonde? I'm afraid of getting a color that will look to yellow and unnatural so I wondered if anyone had any recommendation

atlantisan
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
^ I would mix yellow, white, and a bit of a brown tint. You can make your own brown if you're used to making the colour.

Allisande
02-04-2010, 09:43 AM
May I please add in my homage to the genius who came up with this? I was rather stupid in choosing a white haired cosplay when I have dark brown hair. This will be perfect, or at least keep it from being so darn obvious.

As for the convincing blond paint colors, Michael's generally carries the wall of epic acrylic. If I can obsess over three different shades of black/brown then anyone can find the convincing shade of blond. Just, from personal experience, make sure to bring the thing you want to match.

Sekana Katayama
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much! T_T I've been looking for a way to do other colors of eyebrows for aaaages.

Kimmorz
02-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks a bunch! This will be really useful in the future. I've only done one cosplay (and lucky for me, the characters eyebrows were brown (even though his hair was white). Gotta try this out soon. c:

H-Sama
02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
cool
i have another methode for colloring eyebrows, gonna try this one

Otaku_hito
02-14-2010, 11:16 AM
OMG!!! I will definately try this!!! you zound uber convincin'!!!
i'd bet that u can sell ANYTHING!!!!! :bigtu:

Firefly026
02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh... my lord. I did not even think about my eyebrows!!! *smacks head* Stupid me chose a character with much lighter hair than me.
Thankfully I found this thread!!!
I was thrown off a bit by the whole 'glue on my eyebrows' thing, but from the experiences I've read about, it seems pretty safe.
I'll definitely try this method!

Eva Yui
02-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Anyone have a hard time doing "blonde" ? I read using tan will make the color look more like the original poster's brows. I bought a pale yellow and it looked really horrible and fake even after mixing it with white paint to make the color paler.

AngelStarAvalon
02-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Now I can turn my strawberry blonde eyebrows pink! Thank you

Firefly026
03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Okay so I have a question!!! How do I turn my eyebrows
<----- That color? It's a kind of strawberry blonde, but a little darker.
I was thinking of trying brown, some white and some red, does that sound good?

Vorpal.Prison
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
@firefly026: In most cases, eyebrows tend to be about two shades deeper than hair is and it's usually true with lighter hair colors. The colors you said sound like they'd work perfectly. Just be careful with the amount of red you use. It's better to be a too brown than too red. But that's my opinion I guess. Haha. I hope this helps! o8

I tried this the other day and it turned out rather awesome. Thanks! : D

Firefly026
03-05-2010, 10:02 PM
@Vorpal.Prison: Thanks a lot!!! I can't wait to try this, lol.

KuraKaze
03-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Anyone have a hard time doing "blonde" ? I read using tan will make the color look more like the original poster's brows. I bought a pale yellow and it looked really horrible and fake even after mixing it with white paint to make the color paler.

As mentioned in the previous post eyebrows tend to be a bit darker than the actual hair. If you do a light brown colour to tan colour it would be alright for blonde.

I don't think mixing with white acrylic will work at all. I don't think it's possible to make acrylic yellow or white natural looking for hair colour (I have not tried this eyebrow method, but just from my experience with painting with acrylic. Pale yellow or anything mix with white makes it a powdery colour which is horribly fake looking. It's like, pastel colours.)

I would suggest getting the bright yellow (not pale yellow), and try mixing a light brown shade with the bright yellow shade. (Do not add white, white makes acrylic colours pastal-y fake looking.) Put a tiny bit of yellow into a blob of brown, mix until even, and repeat until desired shade. Mixing this on a colour board when painting usually I put two blobs side by side, and mix them together in the middle where they overlap until I get the colour I want.

Battousai-nii
03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
This tutorial is great.
One question though, how would I mix a natural red? (See profile pic for the wig)

RyuuzakiMasato7
04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Ahh, this looks perfect! xD This looks like it'll work for my beard as well :P

I'm cosplaying Squalo from KHR this year and I utterly, completely, TOTALLY hate not having my beard. So I was looking for a temporary dye thingy and this looks great xD

I know Squalo doesn't have a beard. But me - beard = WRONG, so he's having a wee beard. xD