PDA

View Full Version : The Sharpie Dye FAQ Guide

Pages : [1] 2

Envel
07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I want to start with a little bit to end any and all arguments over whether Sharpie ink or FW ink is better for wig dyeing. NEITHER. The Sharpie and FW methods both have their respective pros and cons, the benefits and losses of each you should decide for yourself after reading thoroughly about both.

First of all, there is the availability issue. We have near a half dozen craft stores in my area, and only one of them carries the FW ink. Even so, this store ONLY carries the FW ink in primary colors. Any other store you walk into, they look at you like a crazy person when you ask for it. The wide availability of Sharpies is their first good quality, and one of the ways that they are more convenient than the FW ink.

Next off, there's the price issue. FW ink is about $4 for an ounce of ink, depending on where you buy them, and if you have to order them online, the shipping steepens the price. Sharpies are about a dollar to two dollars a piece depending on where you buy them. This is both a pro and a con for each type of ink. Sharpies are cheaper in if you need only a small dye bath with only a few ink filaments. If you're doing a dye mix with a large quantity of ink, the FW ink can be cheaper in the long run, since Sharpies in bulk can become pricey. If price is no issue for you, then well, you shouldn't be reading this paragraph. =P

We also have the quality debate. Many, many people have complained that their wig was crunchy, clumpy, or otherwise sticky after using the FW ink. Many people have complained that the Sharpie ink for one reason or other simply will not stick to their wig at all. When done right, and when done well, both methods are equally attractive when they reach their finished stage. Why some people have problems and others don't is a huge matter of trial and error, maybe a recipe was wrong, maybe it wasn't mixed right, maybe the ink was old, or what have you, but whatever the reasons, there have always been various problems with each dye type. However, there is one thing to keep in mind. Sharpie dye is translucent, whereas FW ink is not. FW ink is more powerful than Sharpie ink, and since it covers more strongly, it can lessen the "natural" shine or sheen of your wig, making it look dull, which Sharpies will not do. In spite of all other problems (which I am going to say are due to problems during dye making and process, and not due to the ink itself), this is the only real consistent issue between the quality of the Sharpie and FW dyes.

To conclude this section! Both the Sharpie and the FW inks have their flaws and their benefits. The benefits and flaws of these inks you need to decide for yourself. Do not ever listen to anyone who says that one is the beat-all demon-slaying savior of wig dyes, because neither dye is perfect, and besides, all you guys really care about is that your finished wig is nice, right? Right. So let's all agree to disagree on which method we prefer, and we'll all be much happier.

Now, onto the Sharpie FAQ guide. I've browsed the Sharpie dyeing thread to try and find the most commonly asked and answered questions, and the problems that people seem to come across the most often, and I've gathered them at someone's request and answered each and every one to the best of my knowledge.

DISCLAIMER: I am not the God of wig dyeing, and my opinions may not be the same as yours. You may not agree with some of my recipes or methods, and that's perfectly fine. I will repeatedly remind the reader throughout this guide that this is merely a general guide to follow, and not the step-by-step complete fail-proof instructions on how to make and/or use Sharpie dye.

DISCLAIMER 2: This is NOT a tutorial! There is no super perfect Sharpie dye tutorial that works for each and every wig, color, and shade, which is why I have not put one here.

I've done what I can just browsing the Sharpie thread, but I'm not perfect, and could have missed some questions. If there is a question you have, not answered in the guide, then PM me! I'll be more than happy to make this guide more complete and full so that everyone can benefit from it.

WARNING! Please, please, please, do NOT PM me a question that is already answered in this guide. If you ask me a question that has already been answered here, then I reserve the right to not justify the PM with a response. However, if you have a question about the clarity, or I did not go enough in depth with something already asked, feel free to ask me to add to or alter the guide to make it better to understand for everyone. Also, do not PM me asking for specific dye recipes for certain colors or characters... Please either post in the thread or figure it out for yourself.

And please, if I make a mistake, let me know that too. I'm not perfect. Yet. =P

The Guide

1. What kind of alcohol should I use when making my Sharpie dye?You want around the 70% strenght regular old rubbing alcohol, available in the bandage and health-care section of every Wal-Mart and Walgreens you can find. Do not use 90% alcohol, as it is too strong for the ink and will not work. Anything less than 70% will be too weak.

2. Why can't I just use hair dye on my wig?
You probably hear this all the time, but wigs, especially ones usually used for cosplay, are not real hair. Wigs are plastic, and therefore don't have pores to absorb dye meant for porous human hair. Maybe you've managed to successfully use some of that stuff from Hot Topic to stain your wig, but unless you're wanting a super pale, pale color that will hardly be noticed, don't use any type of dye meant for real hair on wigs.

(Guide continued in second post.)

Envel
07-01-2008, 02:42 PM
3. Where can I buy these Sharpies for my dye?
JoAnn, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, art supply stores, craft stores, and sometimes even office stores sell individual Sharpies for $1-1.29 a piece for the regular ones. As far as online stores, DickBlick.com sells individual Sharpies as well. Also, try here: http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalog.cfm?cata_id=2019

4. Can I dye a darker wig to a lighter color with Sharpie dye?
No. A wig can never be lightened with Sharpie dye. Never. Ever. Sometimes you can tint a darker brown or grey wig by hand Sharpie-ing it, but the general rule with dyeing is you can never make a wig lighter, you can only tint or darken it.

5. Can I dye a wig black with Sharpies?
Yes, you can hand-Sharpie a wig to black, but I personally would just buy a black wig. Black Sharpie ink is not a true black, but a super concentrated purplish, reddish, or brownish color, and if your wig fades, it could turn funky colors. Like I said before, you're probably just better off buying a black wig or extensions.

6. How do I open Sharpies to get the ink out?
Take the Sharpie in your hands and bend it until it pops open. Sometimes you'll have to bend it back and forth a couple of times to get it to pop open, but opening Sharpies is pretty darn easy.

7. Does wig conditioner seal the dye into a wig to keep it from bleeding?
No. Wig conditioner does just what it says: It conditions and softens your wig. Wig conditioner can help to remove that last bit of excess dye from your wig, but if you use too much product, or get too hot, sweaty, or oily, then your dye can still run or bleed after being conditioned if it was not properly washed and rinsed after the dyeing process.

8. Will my wig dye always bleed or run after my wig has been dyed?
If your wig has been properly dyed, washed, conditioned, and rinsed, you should have no problem with your wig bleeding. HOWEVER. Red inks and dyes always have a tendency to bleed, whether it's wig dye, food coloring, or some other sort of red coloring. Red inks are problematic and may bleed even after all procedures have been properly followed, whereas say a green or blue ink may not.
If you are going to do heavy styling on your wig after it has been dyed, then there is the possibility that the product you are using may remove or discolor your dye, no matter which type of ink you prefer. Wig dyes are alcohol based and most styling agents have some alcohol in them, which is what will mess up your dye job. Also, oils in your skin (namely, your hands) can also cause dye to bleed or run, and especially if it's hot and you're sweaty. If you're going to be heavily styling a dyed wig, then make sure to constantly clean your hands to keep them free of their oils, and make sure you don't drown your wig in product. Use a little bit of product at a time, in small doses and in layers. Make sure you let all layers of product dry before adding another layer.

9. How much dye do I need for X length wig?
Before you head out to buy your supplies, you'll need to know how much you'll need in terms of Sharpies and alcohol.
Chin length wigs will be anything chin-length or shorter. They will usually require no more than 8oz of dye.
Medium length wigs (anything past the shoulders to about 28'' long) will take about 12-16oz of dye.
Longer wigs (anything longer than 28'') should take around 16-20oz of dye.
DISCLAIMER: This is not the super-accurate guide to the amount of dye you will need to make. I have dyed several wigs, and the amount I've needed has shifted depending on several factors such as thickness of wig or type of fiber. I have dyed butt-length wigs with as little as 16oz of dye, but for some of them I needed more. To be safe, you should always make more dye than you think you will need.
DISCLAIMER 2: These amounts are for the spray-dyeing method, which is covered later, and is the most highly preferred method of wig dyeing. The dunk-dyeing and hand-Sharpie methods are covered later.

10. I screwed up! How do I get rid of this dye?
Just get some plain ole' alcohol like you used to make your dye and rinse your wig with it. The easiest way is to get a gallon size zippie bag and swoosh your wig around in there with some plain alcohol. Repeat until all dye has been removed.

If your dye is too light and you want to darken the color, you can simply put a darker dye on top of it (assuming you rinse your wig first), but if your color is too dark, you'll have to lighten or clean your dye job with alcohol to redo it.

11. What if my oh-so-perfect shade of _____ doesn't exist in a Sharpie?
Mix the closest shades and colors you can find to get what you want. This will be different for everyone, and unless someone else has gotten that perfect shade that you want, it's best just to experiment and find out what the best recipe is for you.

12. What about the mesh of my wig? Won't that get dyed during my dyeing process?
Yes, and it'll match your wig. Not so bad is it?

13. How many Sharpies and how much alcohol should I use?
For lighter, very, very subtle colors, use 1-2 Sharpies per 8oz of alcohol.
For lighter-medium colors, use 2-3 Sharpies per 8oz of alcohol.
For darker-medium colors, use 3-4 Sharpies per 8oz of alcohol.
For super dark or deep colors, use 4-5 Sharpies per 8oz of alcohol.
DISCLAIMER: Again, this is just a general guide, and different colors and shades will need different mixtures and recipes.

14. Should I spray-dye, dunk-dye, or hand-Sharpie my wig?
Spray-dyeing is the most commonly used method, as it uses the least amount of dye mix and is simple and easy to do. You simply put your dye mixture into a spray bottle, spray it onto the wig, and let it dry. Dunk-dyeing is used by some people, especially for shorter wigs, and will take more dye than the spray method. For this method, you completely dunk your wig into the dye bath, remove it, squeeze out excess dye, and let it dry. Hand Sharpie-ing is the cheapest, but most time consuming process, since you literally Sharpie the wig strand by strand to get the color you want.
Each method obviously has its pros and cons, and you, again, should go with whichever method you want, or whatever will work best for you.
DISCLAIMER: This is not a tutorial.

15. Once I've figured out my process of dyeing, how do I make my actual dye?
Pop open your desired amount of Sharpies, slit the ink sticks with a sharp knife, and stick them into your alcohol. Secure bottle with a lid, and shake! Shake and let dye sit until desired shade is reached, add more alcohol to lighten or dilute dye, and add more Sharpies to strengthen or darken dye. I usually let mine sit overnight, shaking it as often as I remember to.

16. Can I use styling products on my wig after it has been dyed?
Yes, you can! You can use hair spray, pomades, and other products on a wig after it has been dyed. However, you need to keep in mind that if you use too much product, it will remove or discolor your dye. Use your product in many light layers, and not a lot of thick layers.
DISCLAIMER: This isn't the general wig guide, so I won't go in depth with this part, except to say do not use hair gel on wigs, dyed or not.

17. My wig is Eleora. Can I dye it?
Yes, you can dye Eleora wigs. Simply put, the trick to dyeing an Eleora fiber wig is to use more Sharpies, to make the dye stronger. I've had no problem dyeing Eleora wigs myself.
There have been mixed reviews with dyeing Eleora wigs, however, and I want to point out one thing for this. Any wig, Eleora or other fiber, that has a curl, braid, or other kind of manufactured, permanent style is not usually suitable for dyeing. These wigs have a special coating on them that helps them to keep their permanent style, and that coating doesn't like dye very much. Dye on these wigs, if it sticks, will probably bleed and run off.

18. Can I dye a wig that already has highlights?
You can dye a multi-toned wig just like you can any other wig. If your wig is two different tones of a paler color (say platinum and light blonde), your dye result will depend on the darkness and strength of your dye. A paler dye may keep the already existing highlights of your wig, whereas a darker dye may cover them up completely.
A wig that is a light or medium color with dark highlights (say a brown or darker) can still be dyed, but your chances are very good that the darker, highlighted portion will either not accept the dye or will only be lightly tinted by the dye. Unless you are dyeing it a very, very dark color, your wig will retain the highlights in pretty much their original color.
Basically, if you are dyeing a highlighted wig, the way the wig will accept the dye all goes back to the dyeability of the colors of the wig fiber. If your highlights are dark, they will probably not accept dye. If your fibers are lighter, they will dye very easily. Aways keep in mind the color of your wig fibers before deciding whether or not they will accept your dye.

19. Can I dye a wig silver with Sharpies?
Though this is still being experimented and debated, the short answer to this question is no. If you mix silver Sharpies with alcohol to make dye, the silver parts will float to the top of your dye, and will not stick to your wig. If you directly hand Sharpie the wig with your silver Sharpie, you are much more likely to get a dark grey color than silver.

NOTES:

Contributed by Serifed:
The retractable Sharpies only have about half the amount of dye in them as plain Sharpies, and the filaments aren't quite as "juicy" as the ones in regular Sharpies, resulting in significantly less ink.

chisainekocat
07-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for this! Hopefully it will reduce some of the repeated questions about dye. It pretty much covers all the bases, too. Perhaps you can clarify your answer about coloring a wig black? Some people may not realize that the reason the Sharpie-alcohol method doesn't work for black ink is because the black sharpies are actually a dark brown or purple color.

Envel
07-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks for this! Hopefully it will reduce some of the repeated questions about dye. It pretty much covers all the bases, too. Perhaps you can clarify your answer about coloring a wig black? Some people may not realize that the reason the Sharpie-alcohol method doesn't work for black ink is because the black sharpies are actually a dark brown or purple color.

All right. I'll do that as soon as I can. The reason I actually put that there was that because while going through the Sharpie dye thread, there actually were a couple of people who said they'd successfully colored a Sharpie black with the hand-coloring method. But you're right, they definitely need to know that black Sharpie ink isn't a true black.

jennarose
07-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks for this!! It is a big help! :D

stardust462
07-02-2008, 10:01 AM
This is amazing - thanks for doing this! I remember months ago when I dyed my first wig with sharpies it took me awhile to find the info I needed in the other thread.

Cora
07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
This is very helpful, thank you~ ^_^

Not to pick, but could you possibly change your font back to the forum default? The tiny green font isn't wholly unreadable, but I think the larger font would be easier on most people's eyes, considering there's a lot to go through.

Envel
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Perhaps you can clarify your answer about coloring a wig black?

Done.

Not to pick, but could you possibly change your font back to the forum default?

And done. <3

Geek Fairy
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM
3. Where can I buy these Sharpies for my dye?
JoAnn, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, art supply stores, craft stores, and sometimes even office stores sell individual Sharpies for $1-1.29 a piece for the regular ones.

I'd just like to say that this is not always true. I looked around all these places in my area, and no one had individual Sharpies. I eventually had to order them off of the internet. So if you live in a smaller city, I'd reccomend DickBlick.com or other reliable online art sites. :3

Envel
07-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I'd just like to say that this is not always true. I looked around all these places in my area, and no one had individual Sharpies. I eventually had to order them off of the internet. So if you live in a smaller city, I'd reccomend DickBlick.com or other reliable online art sites. :3
To be fair, I didn't say these places would definitely have them, because not all of our Michaels carry them either. This is just a list for people to check if they have more than one craft store in their area. I knew there was a site where you could buy them, but I couldn't remember it. So now thanks to you, we have the site and I shall add it for everyone's convenience. <3

kenshin-chan64
07-11-2008, 01:18 AM
office supply stores too carry sharpies. though they might not have all the colors of the rainbow and those in-between, they do carry some in packs of 3 or 4 of the same color, which obviously comes in handy when buying the amount you need.

a random question i must ask though, and its ok if you dont know the answer. out of curiosity, if you use the silver sharpies, will one's wig come out with that shiney silver sheen to it that the pens have? (provided you start of with a clean white wig of course). it would be awsome to see a wig with that shine to it :)

Rhapsodey
07-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Thank you oh so much for this! I have a wig that I need to dye...somehow...and I wasn't sure how to do it. I heard using Sharpies is a good idea, but the extra info is really great to have! ^^

But I have a strange question-The wig I need to dye is colored like a color chart. The characters hair goes from a blone to a light pink all the way down to a dark pink, also purple. Can I hang dry the wig after dyeing to get that effect?

Also, for those who are kinda iffy on either kind of dyeing for your wig, I was told that fabric dye works really good as well. :3 Just a little bit of extra info.

DivineSage
07-11-2008, 05:26 PM
a random question i must ask though, and its ok if you dont know the answer. out of curiosity, if you use the silver sharpies, will one's wig come out with that shiney silver sheen to it that the pens have? (provided you start of with a clean white wig of course). it would be awsome to see a wig with that shine to it :)

I haven't tried it, but from what I've heard it comes out grey, with no sheen to it. Generally metallic inks don't work well on wigs. Someone else might have a more definitive answer, though.

Midnight_Toker
07-13-2008, 09:01 PM
if a wig is two different colors, will it make the sharpie dye have more than one shade?

for example, this wig
http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=16416&cat=2448&page=1

has the option of coming in strawberry blonde with platinum blonde highlights. if i were to dye it green, would it have lighter green highlights?

Miss Miri
07-13-2008, 09:27 PM
if a wig is two different colors, will it make the sharpie dye have more than one shade?

for example, this wig
http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=16416&cat=2448&page=1

has the option of coming in strawberry blonde with platinum blonde highlights. if i were to dye it green, would it have lighter green highlights?

I'm pretty sure that if you were to Sharpie-dye a multi-tone wig, it would still be multi-tone unless you SUPER super concentrated the Sharpies in the dye, because Sharpie ink is more translucent to begin with.

However, I could be wrong.

Midnight_Toker
07-14-2008, 05:51 AM
thanks =]
do you think strawberry blonde and golden blonde will be light enough to turn fully green? or should i give up on highlights and get platinum blonde?

Miss Miri
07-14-2008, 11:43 AM
thanks =]
do you think strawberry blonde and golden blonde will be light enough to turn fully green? or should i give up on highlights and get platinum blonde?

What color of green do you need the base green to be? If it's a darker, more "primary" green, then you could "highlight" it using a lime green Sharpie to color some of the top pieces. However, that would pretty much mean you'd have to color the whole thing by hand, I think.

Whether that's the case or not, the darker the base color of the wig, the dingier the dyejob will look, so if you want a nice clear green, go with platinum or white.

{Speaking exclusively secondhand, if anyone who's actually done this wants to speak up, please feel free!}

chisainekocat
07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
I've dyed a platinum/strawberry blonde mix with marigold sharpies and it turned it into a golden blonde with darker brown/blonde highlights. You should get something similar with the green.

Midnight_Toker
07-14-2008, 09:23 PM
the color green it ends up isnt really an issue, it's a custom costume. the reason id want the highlights is because i think it would give it a more natural feel, rather than a flat, solid color.

im going to use the spray bottle for convenience. if it isnt dark enough or the right color, would i just be able to give it another coat and see how that works?

Hydraskylar
07-16-2008, 08:34 AM
I have a strawberry blonde wig and want to dye it into light brown. Using brown Sharpie alone didn't work, it was really dark though was greatly diluted. Has anyone ever tried mixing brown and marigold? Would that give me a light brown color?

lestats_violin
07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I need to colour the ends of spikes on a wig black. I'm worried because I'll have to hand sharpie it after I style it. My outfit is white and I'm afraid the ink will rub off since I can't really rinse....
Any ideas?

NintyGirl
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for this, now if only any nearby stores had brown sharpies in stock, I wouldn't have a problem. ^-^;

Envel
07-19-2008, 06:18 PM
I need to colour the ends of spikes on a wig black. I'm worried because I'll have to hand sharpie it after I style it. My outfit is white and I'm afraid the ink will rub off since I can't really rinse....
Any ideas?

You really shouldn't dye a wig after it's been styled. The product would be coating the wig fibers, so technically you'd be coloring the product and not dyeing the wig. I'd highly recommend dyeing the tips first and styling last.

I have a strawberry blonde wig and want to dye it into light brown. Using brown Sharpie alone didn't work, it was really dark though was greatly diluted. Has anyone ever tried mixing brown and marigold? Would that give me a light brown color?

I'm actually working on lightening a brown mixture for a wig of my own, and I will get back to you here when I see what I can do to lighten the brown.

the color green it ends up isnt really an issue, it's a custom costume. the reason id want the highlights is because i think it would give it a more natural feel, rather than a flat, solid color.

im going to use the spray bottle for convenience. if it isnt dark enough or the right color, would i just be able to give it another coat and see how that works?

If the color you want is too dark, you can rinse the wig clean with alcohol and redye it, if the color is too light, you can try doing another coat to darken it, or rinse it clean and start over.

Devi 1313
07-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Out of curiosity which kind of spray bottles do you folks recommend?
Big super soaker kind? http://www.jwodcatalog.com/imgLg/8125004887952.jpg
Or the little misty kind? http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51260499/Spray_Bottle.jpg

lestats_violin
07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks! That's what I thought but the black part is a weird shape :/

StarBlaze73
07-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for writing this! It's a big help!

I'm a little unclear about one thing, though. For Otakon this year, I'm doing Mimi Tachikawa from Digimon, Season 2: http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/encyc/images/mimi2.jpg

I have the pink wig, now I want to do the red highlights. Do I get the alcohol, the red sharpie, MIX them together, and paint them on the wig? Or rub the alcohol on certain strips of the wig and then hand-color in the highlights with the sharpie?

Devi 1313
07-23-2008, 05:59 PM
If you're going to hand color the wig with the sharpie then you don't need the alcohol.

chisainekocat
07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Out of curiosity which kind of spray bottles do you folks recommend?
Big super soaker kind? http://www.jwodcatalog.com/imgLg/8125004887952.jpg
Or the little misty kind? http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51260499/Spray_Bottle.jpg

Definitely super-soaker type. Your hands will thank you XD. Using one finger to spray is much more annoying than using four.

Envel
07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Definitely super-soaker type. Your hands will thank you XD. Using one finger to spray is much more annoying than using four.

I second this. SECOND THIS.

I can't tell you how painful it was to do some touch-ups on a friend's dye job when the only thing I had in the work area was one of the mini-bottles. My finger wants to die.

Devi 1313
07-25-2008, 11:16 AM
ok, so I'm guessing you're supposed to saturate the fiber instead of lightly misting it on like Katie Bair's dye?

Envel
07-26-2008, 08:08 PM
ok, so I'm guessing you're supposed to saturate the fiber instead of lightly misting it on like Katie Bair's dye?

No, misting it on actually does work better. Saturating the fiber too much will cause dripping, which you don't want.

meowmeowky
07-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Using the dunk-dying method, do you wait for the wig to dry completely before you rinse out the excess or do you just wait for it to sit for a while?

Devi 1313
08-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Is it a common problem for Magenta to disappear? I made a mix of 3 mag. to 1 purple in 2 cups of alcohol and when I first spray it the color looks fine, but after it dries it looks straight up purple. I'm starting to wonder if I should use my 3 remaining magenta to make a separate cup of dye and color the wig in layers, or should I just keep adding magenta to my current mix?

Envel
08-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Using the dunk-dying method, do you wait for the wig to dry completely before you rinse out the excess or do you just wait for it to sit for a while?

Wait for it to dry completely before rinsing, same way you would dye it with the other method.

Is it a common problem for Magenta to disappear? I made a mix of 3 mag. to 1 purple in 2 cups of alcohol and when I first spray it the color looks fine, but after it dries it looks straight up purple. I'm starting to wonder if I should use my 3 remaining magenta to make a separate cup of dye and color the wig in layers, or should I just keep adding magenta to my current mix?

Actually, purple masks magenta/berry/pink. I made a dye bath almost identical to yours, and it did the exact same thing, looking pinkish until it dried. My only guess is that the purple is too powerful to mix without covering up the weaker colors.

I'm starting to think you can't dillute the brown to make it any lighter either. I've dilluted and dilluted and added other colors, but it's not helping to make it less of a dark brown. Hrm.

Devi 1313
08-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow, what a bummer! I guess I may just have to make a separate magenta mix and just go lightly over with the purple mix :/

Elenaya
08-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Wow I never knew you could do this. This brings a whole new route into my cosplay world.

All right well, sorry if this sounds odd, I'm relatively new to cosplaying, AND I'm sorry if I missed this, it's late >< IF I buy a wig that's extremely high quality i.e. shiny, perfect tones and highlights, would it still be just as shiny etc. as it was previously before I colored it with markers? I'm trying to get a realistic looking wig going on that would be of a strange color.

Thankie :3

Sarah-Boo
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
I hope this hasn't been answered yet, but how long should I wait after dyeing my wig, before washing it out?

Mindela
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Methinks that perhaps we should start some sort of guide to wigs we've dyed with Sharpies including the picture of the final product, the Sharpie to alcohol ratio and the method used for application. I think it'd be a helpful guide for those not sure what to use.

Reject_Reality
08-08-2008, 01:09 AM
I hope this hasn't been answered yet, but how long should I wait after dyeing my wig, before washing it out?

Just wait until the fibers of the wig are completely dry. :)

Honey Usagi-chi
08-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Is there a significance in color tone difference/dye-ability when working with toyokalon/kanekalon extensions?

Hanyaan
08-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Something I figured I should point out:

I dyed my Vinegar Doppio wig with a combination of lilac and purple sharpie dye, and then styled it heavily with Got2Be Glued hair spiking glue. Something about that particular combination (where the hair glue was the most concentrated) made the dye INSANELY UV sensitive. It faded like a mofo wherever it was in the sun for more than an hour where the glue was; I'm going to have to go back and hand touch up some of the places where the glue was and the sun hit it. Although the result is this amazing variegated color that looks so natural people kept thinking it was real hair rather than a wig, the amazing fade/bleach-tasticness is not something I particularly want in one of my wigs.

I'm not sure if it's the purple pigment specifically, but I figured it might be worth warning people that got2be hair glue and sharpie dye may not play very well together. It's happened twice before; I had to wash out all the styling, re-dye, and style again after accidentally leaving it where sunlight could hit it the first time. (It's now in a box in a lightless room.)

Envel
08-13-2008, 08:25 AM
I think a Sharpie wig dye recipe/result thread would be a really good idea, kind of the like the "Cosworx wigs in Action" thread.

Something along the lines of:
Sharpies (color and quantity):
Alcohol amount:
Dyeing method:
Starting wig (brand and starting color):
Comments:

Anyway, the Got2BGlued stuff isn't my favorite stuff to use. It's expensive, and it doesn't work that much better than regular hairspray, IMO. I used it on the tip of Etna's spikes, and it also turned them a funky weird orangish color. You can't really see it unless you're up really close, but it's there.

Mindela
08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
I only really use Got2B stuff on real hair for epic spiking jobs like Phoenix Wright. On wigs spray kinda makes stuff look hard and crunchy unlike regular Aquanet or Rave while the glue, if used on the whole wig, gives it a weird greasy shiny that never goes away.

Back on the topic of dying I'm confused. I dyed a wig for a friend for Otakon and rinsed the thing twice before styling. But the day he wore it it must've rubbed off on his neck somehow because when he put on another costume that day the inside of the color turned purple. What went wrong? I didn't use any hairspray or anything on that part of the wig

Envel
08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I only really use Got2B stuff on real hair for epic spiking jobs like Phoenix Wright. On wigs spray kinda makes stuff look hard and crunchy unlike regular Aquanet or Rave while the glue, if used on the whole wig, gives it a weird greasy shiny that never goes away.

Back on the topic of dying I'm confused. I dyed a wig for a friend for Otakon and rinsed the thing twice before styling. But the day he wore it it must've rubbed off on his neck somehow because when he put on another costume that day the inside of the color turned purple. What went wrong? I didn't use any hairspray or anything on that part of the wig

8. Will my wig dye always bleed or run after my wig has been dyed?
If your wig has been properly dyed, washed, conditioned, and rinsed, you should have no problem with your wig bleeding. HOWEVER. Red inks and dyes always have a tendency to bleed, whether it's wig dye, food coloring, or some other sort of red coloring. Red inks are problematic and may bleed even after all procedures have been properly followed, whereas say a green or blue ink may not.
If you are going to do heavy styling on your wig after it has been dyed, then there is the possibility that the product you are using may remove or discolor your dye, no matter which type of ink you prefer. Wig dyes are alcohol based and most styling agents have some alcohol in them, which is what will mess up your dye job. Also, oils in your skin (namely, your hands) can also cause dye to bleed or run, and especially if it's hot and you're sweaty. If you're going to be heavily styling a dyed wig, then make sure to constantly clean your hands to keep them free of their oils, and make sure you don't drown your wig in product. Use a little bit of product at a time, in small doses and in layers. Make sure you let all layers of product dry before adding another layer.

I know the guide specifies that hands are oily, but ALL of your skin is oily and when walking around in costume for any sort of extended period, most people do tend to get sweaty.

emilyt3hstrange
08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I just wanted to say thank you so, so much for this FAQ. It's been extremely helpful, and I anticipate dying my Rei Ayanami will will be relatively painless, thanks to you!

Reilah
09-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I have a question ^.^; Do you have to mix the sharpie ink with alcohol? or can you just pop the cap off and color..I'm looking to just do some multicolored streaks on my blue wig.

kimuhalu
09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Does the dye completely cover the fibers with it's color, or does it blend with the color of the fibers? (For example, using blue dye on a yellow wig turning it green.)

I'm using a green wig (http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=25876&cat=2449&page=1) and am wanting to dye it to this color (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/hiei_kurama27/orangekun/orangekun-19.png). I was thinking of using a Turqoise color sharpie. Depending on the answer to the above question, I don't know if it'll work.

Lothlin
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Dyes are transluscent (though the darker colors of dye are slightly less, and the blending will cut down a bit if you keep layering it on through multiple applications.) So yeah, you're going to get some blending.

kimuhalu
09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Dyes are transluscent (though the darker colors of dye are slightly less, and the blending will cut down a bit if you keep layering it on through multiple applications.) So yeah, you're going to get some blending.

Thank you, Lothlin. I'll try turquoise then. If it doesn't work I'll just wash it out. :)

Lothlin
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
*nods* yup, washing it out is pretty simple, and sharpies are cheap, so it's not much harm done if you don't get it right the first time ^^. Good luck!

RedeadDie
09-09-2008, 10:53 PM
So say I have a golden blonde wig, but it mainly has to be brown with two large blonde streaks. Does golden blonde take well with brown sharpies and will the brown sharpie colored parts bleed into the blonde parts of the wig if I use a hair spray product on them afterwards? (Or just ever the brown bleed into the blonde at any point after it's dry?)

Dubaby
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow! I just did a sharpie test sample on a peice of blonde wig that I had trimmed off and I was really impressed with how well the ink took!!! When I ran the cold water over it there was hardly even any color lost!

So I'm thinking that I will most definently be using this for me Neliel wig (using that wonderful seafoam sharpie on a blonde wig seems a lot less hassle then trying to find that right color of greeny-aqua)

My only question is, are there wig spikers and such that DO NOT make all that wonderful sharpie ink bleed out? Because if I color my own Washu wig I'll need to do HEAVY styling afterwards...

Seiyora
09-13-2008, 10:45 PM
This thread is love <3 There were a couple of things I was a little unsure of and they seemed too trivial to create threads about, but I found the answers I was looking for here. Thank you!

Yumei
09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I have a question. This is who I'm cosplaying http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m26/Scooby817/untitled-2.jpg
This was the recommended wig http://www.amphigory.com/wig_color_excitable.html

I can't buy the wig so I was gonna try a dye one to match using Sharpies since it worked so well for my other wigs.
I don't really know what color sharpies to buy...What do you guys recommend?
Should I buy a white/blonde wig and buy and combine colors to match? What colors would I buy to get the right color?
You think I can buy a light pink wig or a light purple wig and use either pink or purple sharpies to get the right color?
Thanks for any help.

kimuhalu
09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Is the Angela 750 one of those eleora wigs with the special coating to make the wave permanent? Has anyone tried dying one? The wig isn't taking my dye at all, and it just makes my wig wet. Am I supposed to let the dye sit more than 4 hours or can I use it right away? I used 12oz alcohol and 4 sharpies already, maybe I should use one more?

I'm at a loss. :(

Luther
09-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Is the Angela 750 one of those eleora wigs with the special coating to make the wave permanent? Has anyone tried dying one? The wig isn't taking my dye at all, and it just makes my wig wet. Am I supposed to let the dye sit more than 4 hours or can I use it right away? I used 12oz alcohol and 4 sharpies already, maybe I should use one more?

The Angela 750 is made of eleora, but has no coating for a permanent style and is compeletely dyable. What do you mean by "use it right away"? Are you trying to rinse it before the dye has dried? I always let the wig completely dry after spraying on/dunking it in the dye before rinsing it.

kimuhalu
09-24-2008, 10:28 PM
^ I mean let the bottle of dye sit and settle before using. I dunk dyed it, let it soak for a bit and let it dry completely before I rinsed it, but the color didn't stay in at all.

HowlinMadMurphy
09-25-2008, 01:57 AM
I really love the color of this wig, but I'm not willing to shell out for the shipping not to mention I'm a little dubious about the amount of wig fiber on it:
http://www.cyperous.com/wig/wig.cgi?cmd=dp&num=318&Tfile=Data&dp=english.html

So, I'd like to reproduce something very very close to that depth by dying my own wig.

Would it be best to start with a close-to-black wig and then put some green dye on it? I don't think an "off-black" wig would really show enough of the green in normal lighting conditions, so I'm not sure what color I would order. A brown would neutralize the intensity of the green. A dark grey? That sounds like a pain in the ass to find!

Second option, start with an emerald green wig. What color dye would I use? A diluted black?

I guess a third option would be mixing a dye that was a really dark green to begin with. Would I use a green and black? Green and grey(silver)? And then, what color wig would I put it on?

I'm so confused!

benihime
09-25-2008, 02:03 AM
I really love the color of this wig, but I'm not willing to shell out for the shipping not to mention I'm a little dubious about the amount of wig fiber on it:
http://www.cyperous.com/wig/wig.cgi?cmd=dp&num=318&Tfile=Data&dp=english.html

So, I'd like to reproduce something very very close to that depth by dying my own wig.

Would it be best to start with a close-to-black wig and then put some green dye on it? I don't think an "off-black" wig would really show enough of the green in normal lighting conditions, so I'm not sure what color I would order. A brown would neutralize the intensity of the green. A dark grey? That sounds like a pain in the ass to find!

Second option, start with an emerald green wig. What color dye would I use? A diluted black?

I guess a third option would be mixing a dye that was a really dark green to begin with. Would I use a green and black? Green and grey(silver)? And then, what color wig would I put it on?

I'm so confused!

first of all, you can't change the colors of the wig fibers, you can just put a coat over it, so the black and emerald should be out of the question. make a dye thats more green and a few drops of black and test that on a blonde or white wig

benihime
09-25-2008, 02:03 AM

it's probably one of those where you have to hand dye it, i know my scruffy wouldn't let me spray it on

HowlinMadMurphy
09-25-2008, 02:21 AM
first of all, you can't change the colors of the wig fibers, you can just put a coat over it, so the black and emerald should be out of the question. make a dye thats more green and a few drops of black and test that on a blonde or white wig

I know you can't lighten or change the color of the wig fibers. My line of thinking was dark (but not even close to black) wig + green dye = greenblack, looks black with a green luminosity, if that makes any sense. The green wig I was thinking would be darkened with a translucent dark grey/black dye, although if sharpie dye is not totally neutral (it turns red or purple when diluted, right?) this would probably not work.
I think a blonde/white/silver wig is so far from the final color that I want to achieve that it almost doesn't make any sense to start with one! Something tells me this method is not infinitely layerable.

cutekawaii
09-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I have a similar predicament to Murph's. I want black with with purple sheen, and I'm wondering if putting purple sharpy on a black wig will show up at ALL. I know I won't get a purple wig, I just want to know if when the light hits it if it will be purplish.

See http://www.animegalleries.net/img/17013

JanKenPon
09-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Dye A Wig With Like Texta Sharpies?!

What Has The World Come To!!!!????

Luther
09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Black sharpies aren't actually black, they're purple! Adding black sharpie to the dye will probably not help you get a dark dye (though come to think of it, it might get you a dark purple? I guess you could try it). It's why when dying a wig solid black, it must always be done by hand. I've never tried to dye a really dark color, but I think starting with a dark gray and dying it the color you want it to be a dark version of is a sound idea.

The two darkest grays, without being back, are 44 and 34. None of the other standard grays are very dark. 34's the darker of the two. They both are blends, that is they are a mixture of black and white fibers, which makes me think the dye would show up well in the white streaks and it could actually work out pretty well. I dunno, don't quote me on it. If someone would be willing to try it out I'd love to hear the results. Oh, and Cosworx's color Charcoal (has it been released yet?) would probably be good for this too.

it's probably one of those where you have to hand dye it, i know my scruffy wouldn't let me spray it on
That's odd, I'm pretty sure the Scruffy doesn't have any waxy type product on it to hold the style, and it's kanekalon, so it should be dyable.

Kesshoutan- I'd definitely let it sit more than 4 hours. Give it at least overnight. What I like to do is sllit the ink catridges, stick them in the alchohol in an empty waterbottle, and shake the crap out of it as often as I remember for a few days. (I like to stick the whole bottle in a big sealed ziploc bag juuust in case the top comes lose by some freak accident and doesn't make a huge mess.) The stuffing comes out of the cartridges, but that's good because more ink comes out. Then I pour the dye into whatever spraybottle/basin I'm using to dye (deending on method) so that the stuffing is left behind.

Kayu-sama
10-11-2008, 01:15 PM
I read the entire FAQ before I got to the part about dying a wig silver, and the color I wanna dye my wig is silver >_<

how about this....I hand-sharpie it, and then use alcohol to lighten it if it's too dark? that would be light grey, but to me that would look the same as silver. and if it was REALLY matte-looking I could perhaps make it shinier somehow??? sorry, i'm a newb so I have to ask these dumb questions. xD

LizardMandy
10-15-2008, 10:08 AM
A few questions from curiosity.

1. Fumes. Alcohol AND sharpies? Whew! Obviously this is an outside job, which is fine, but I wonder, do these fumes fade over time after the wig dries? Or will I smell like sharpie forever?

2. I actually do not have a wig to dye, but I'm very much considering trying this method to dye a piece of faux fur. I have a costume made of a very specific kind of fur that I cannot for the LIFE of me find in yellow anymore. The fabric is 100% polyester - so, like a wig, it's made of synthetic fibers that won't take normal dye, be it hair or fabric. Particularly because it's only a small patch of fur and will not be in contact with my skin, I think I'm going to try this. Anyone think that idea is full of FAIL or shall I go for it and just report the results?

Ashbrie
10-15-2008, 05:47 PM
A few questions from curiosity.

1. Fumes. Alcohol AND sharpies? Whew! Obviously this is an outside job, which is fine, but I wonder, do these fumes fade over time after the wig dries? Or will I smell like sharpie forever?

The smell does eventually fade. It is definitely less strong after the wig is washed.

Excuse me as I sniff some extentions I dyed about a month ago to double-check, like any normal human being would.

Yeah, they barely even smell anymore.

2. I actually do not have a wig to dye, but I'm very much considering trying this method to dye a piece of faux fur. I have a costume made of a very specific kind of fur that I cannot for the LIFE of me find in yellow anymore. The fabric is 100% polyester - so, like a wig, it's made of synthetic fibers that won't take normal dye, be it hair or fabric. Particularly because it's only a small patch of fur and will not be in contact with my skin, I think I'm going to try this. Anyone think that idea is full of FAIL or shall I go for it and just report the results?

Maybe the folks over in the Fursuit/Mascot thread would know?

LizardMandy
10-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Excuse me as I sniff some extentions I dyed about a month ago to double-check, like any normal human being would.

Thank you! For both the info, and the hilarious image. :D

Maybe the folks over in the Fursuit/Mascot thread would know?

Haven't checked that thread, but I'm a member of a few different mascot/fursuit communities elsewhere, and the general opinion I've heard so far is either "It's impossible to dye polyester at home" or "Ask on a wig forum."

Hehe... hence I'm here? I'm going to give it a shot, I think. The worst that'll happen is I ruin a bit of fur, but it's a small enough patch that I'm not actually all that concerned...

Ashbrie
10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you! For both the info, and the hilarious image. :D

And I am going to briefly go off-topic to say that I find your signature hilarious. :D Ain't it the truth, man...

Haven't checked that thread, but I'm a member of a few different mascot/fursuit communities elsewhere, and the general opinion I've heard so far is either "It's impossible to dye polyester at home" or "Ask on a wig forum."

Hehe... hence I'm here? I'm going to give it a shot, I think. The worst that'll happen is I ruin a bit of fur, but it's a small enough patch that I'm not actually all that concerned...

Ah, well that explains that then! Haha. I'm surprised no one in those communities has experimented it before...now I'm curious myself. I think the best you can do is experiment and make sure it doesn't come of easily in water or will rub off on other people's costumes, heh.

If it works like it does on wigs, then that would be amaaaaazing.

Wish I could be more help on that subject, ahaha ^^;;

LizardMandy
10-17-2008, 01:02 PM
And I am going to briefly go off-topic to say that I find your signature hilarious. :D Ain't it the truth, man...

S'funny, because I'm effectively an admin on another online game, and there I'm extremely nice and pleasant to be around. Here and on some other forums, I'm not (usually) outright MEAN, but I definitely come across as pretty cranky. Oddly enough, I'm okay with that. Different outlets for different moods y'know?

Ah, well that explains that then! Haha. I'm surprised no one in those communities has experimented it before...now I'm curious myself. I think the best you can do is experiment and make sure it doesn't come of easily in water or will rub off on other people's costumes, heh.

If it works like it does on wigs, then that would be amaaaaazing.

Wish I could be more help on that subject, ahaha ^^;;

Well, another search the other day turned one reported incident of sharpie dye being used for faux fur. The results seem to be that it worked, but required more dye than you'd normally use for a wig since fur is often much denser. No information on what the fur was made of, or what kind of dye (other than "sharpie") was used.

Planning to give it a try this weekend, I may have to take pictures and post the results.

Ashbrie
10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
S'funny, because I'm effectively an admin on another online game, and there I'm extremely nice and pleasant to be around. Here and on some other forums, I'm not (usually) outright MEAN, but I definitely come across as pretty cranky. Oddly enough, I'm okay with that. Different outlets for different moods y'know?

I feel that way about this site and about cosplay in general (as I like to call cosplay--my favorite and least favorite hobby ;_; ). I don't post much anyway though, so I just...keep quiet, ehe.

Well, another search the other day turned one reported incident of sharpie dye being used for faux fur. The results seem to be that it worked, but required more dye than you'd normally use for a wig since fur is often much denser. No information on what the fur was made of, or what kind of dye (other than "sharpie") was used.

Planning to give it a try this weekend, I may have to take pictures and post the results.

Cool, I know I'll be interested to see the results~ I don't work with fur all that often, but you never know what kind of information you'll need later on when it comes to cosplay, haha XD

Koi
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Okay.
Your FAQ was really helpful, but now I'm paranoid that my wig is going to bleed.

I'm going for an aquamarine colour.. so that's better then red, right? I wouldn't be so worried, but for the fact that I'm making this wig for someone else.. who would probably be very upset if her wig started rubbing off all over her face.

Do Sharpied wigs rub off on your face while you wear them?

Mindela
10-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Okay.
Your FAQ was really helpful, but now I'm paranoid that my wig is going to bleed.

I'm going for an aquamarine colour.. so that's better then red, right? I wouldn't be so worried, but for the fact that I'm making this wig for someone else.. who would probably be very upset if her wig started rubbing off all over her face.

Depends on if the wig is touching their face and how sweaty they get. I sharpied a wig for a friend and it came off on his neck. I used the alcohol dye method though I'm not sure if it still comes off if you hand color it.

AlphaNinn
11-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Since there's been discussion about silver sharpies, I feel I should post this. I did use silver sharpies to dye my Tsukasa wig. It started as as white, and I used 4 of them. It does give a nice color - and as I expected, it is much more grey than silver (in my case, it was exactly what I wanted)

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1812466/ - in overcast
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1812408/ - indoor with flash

tigerpup865
11-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Can I color the roots black with sharpie?

pancake-fong
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Just a quick question about the dye. When I create it, will the dye color that is in my mixing bowl be exactly the shade I need or will it be a little lighter/darker then the shade that will appear on the wig. (Just assume I'm using a white wig for this)

LizardMandy
11-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Following up on my questions about dying fur with sharpies:

http://community.livejournal.com/fursuit/2826105.html

It worked.

Luther
11-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Okay.

Not usually in my experience, if your wig has been rinsed well enough. I find that washing the wig is great for getting out that last bit of excess dye, the first time I washed a dyed wig I was shocked by how much came out after I thought everything had been rinsed out.

Can I color the roots black with sharpie?

Sure can!

Just a quick question about the dye. When I create it, will the dye color that is in my mixing bowl be exactly the shade I need or will it be a little lighter/darker then the shade that will appear on the wig. (Just assume I'm using a white wig for this)

No, it'll be darker, and might be a slightly different color altogether due to how the light is shining through the bottle or whatever. (So don't freak out if your dye appears almost black when it should be a light color, lol) If you have any spare clippings of wig hair, dip them in your dye to test the color; if you can't spare any, a slightly less accurate way is to dip the corner of a tissue in the dye. You don't need to test though, chances are it's the color you want it to be.

london2191
11-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Relion
12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm about halfway through hand-dying my wig, and I was wondering about rinsing it out when I'm finished. It's my first dye job EVER, So I'm naturally scared about doing anything. I don't have any wig conditioner, do I need some or do i just rinse it under cold water? Thanks. :)

Lucrezea
12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Following up on my questions about dying fur with sharpies:

http://community.livejournal.com/fursuit/2826105.html

It worked.

That is pretty much one of the most helpful tutorials ever. Seriously, thank you.

Even though I won't be dyeing fur anytime soon, seeing the actual photo process makes me a tad more comfortable with the thought of dyeing anything. It sure is a lot more explanatory than your general "harvest some sharpies in alcohol" response.

Jacaranda
12-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm dyeing a fairly long wig (cosworx Ivy) and a pack or two (or three to be safe) of pre-wefted extensions (30-inch), so I suppose I'll be making a lot of dye (maybe 48 oz to be on the safe side?). With that in mind, would it be all right if I were to mix all of my dye at once, stir it together in a large container, pour it back into the individual bottles, and then use the dye as I need it? I want a consistent color throughout my wig and the extensions I'll be using to make the add-ons, hence the large amount of dye. Will it be all right to store the dye in the original rubbing alcohol containers until it needs to be used as long as I shake it up before using it?

Kayu-sama
12-06-2008, 01:49 PM
How long do you let it set before rinsing?

Andraia4
12-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Does the hand sharpie technique take to wigs generally better or worse then mixing it with alcohol? Does the hand sharpie technique tend to come out darker (Does the alcohol dilute the color?)?

Has anyone successfully turned basically a white wig to black/dark brown?

I have a small blond wig I'm considering turning purple. I was thinking if I dye it, I should probably hand sharpie it because it's small.

Miss Miri
12-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Does the hand sharpie technique take to wigs generally better or worse then mixing it with alcohol? Does the hand sharpie technique tend to come out darker (Does the alcohol dilute the color?)?

Has anyone successfully turned basically a white wig to black/dark brown?

I have a small blond wig I'm considering turning purple. I was thinking if I dye it, I should probably hand sharpie it because it's small.

A friend and I dyed a white wig to dark grape-purple by hand-Sharpie-ing it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but the color turned out almost exactly the color that a purple Sharpie draws on paper.

The_Ninja
12-23-2008, 12:33 AM
This might be a stupid question, and I'm sorry if it is...^_^;

Is it okay to shampoo the wig after it's been dyed? I'm noticing that shampoo tends to have alcohol as an ingredient - will this harm the dye job, or is the concentration of alcohol low enough that it's okay?

littlerose
12-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks A LOT!!! I really needed this kind of advis 'cos it's my and my friends first cosplay that we're making, and we didn't have a single clue about dying before i found this! :3
Is that online store reliable? I mean the one where you can buy those sharpies... It's not for me but i often have fights with my parents about that matter, i'm underage and so i gotta ask my parents to buy things online forme but they don't want to... :waaaah:

Iolite
12-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't normally ask about a specific instance, except I'm really not sure what might happen here... Especially since I know that black sharpies do tend to make a burgundy or purple colour (or at least a shine).

But how would I best go about dying this sort of wig? http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/Alsaice/Albel/Picture14.png

Sorry the picture's a bit tough to read, but I think the concept artwork is misleading to how his hair actually looks. Basically the colour is black with light blonde tips, and I know there's no way I can start from black, and I would consider putting in black as the extensions or something, except that I know it looks awfully tacky, because I've seen it done before.

chisainekocat
12-29-2008, 04:57 PM
This might be a stupid question, and I'm sorry if it is...^_^;

Is it okay to shampoo the wig after it's been dyed? I'm noticing that shampoo tends to have alcohol as an ingredient - will this harm the dye job, or is the concentration of alcohol low enough that it's okay?

The concentration is low enough that it will be fine. Any dye that comes out shouldn't be that much. Try dissolving it in the water first though, instead of putting the wig in the water first and then plopping some shampoo on the wig. That way, if the shampoo does take off some dye, it's not going to leave a strange spot where it first plopped onto the wig.

The_Ninja
12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
The concentration is low enough that it will be fine. Any dye that comes out shouldn't be that much. Try dissolving it in the water first though, instead of putting the wig in the water first and then plopping some shampoo on the wig. That way, if the shampoo does take off some dye, it's not going to leave a strange spot where it first plopped onto the wig.

Ah, excellent! Thank you very much!

ringoox3
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
i've hand-dyed my wig black, and for some reason, the colour comes off really easily... it even stained my clothes. i have done exactly as the instructions have asked, and yes, i have rinsed it many times in cold water, and even conditioned it. but still - even running my hand through the wig leaves me with some tints of stains on my hand.

is there any way to completely set the colour?

thank you very much x3

Annie-Mei
12-31-2008, 03:34 AM
what wig are you working with? certain Sepia and certain New Look wigs are notorious for not holding Sharpie colors.

Jacaranda
01-02-2009, 02:54 AM
I've been having some problems with dyeing my wig. Namely, for whatever reason the dye holds better in certain places than in others. I started out with a silver wig and aimed for a sort of pale, muted shade of green-blue that's present in Youji's (http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr241/SoulLinkia/Loveless/Youji%20and%20Natsuo/Youji.jpg) hair. After rinsing it, some sections of hair kept the pigment very well... but others didn't. I don't think it's the fiber, since I'm dyeing a cosworx Ivy, and those are made of Kanekalon.

I've been using a mix of Mint (pale green) and Clover (darker greenish blue) to get the desired shade, with about eight sharpies to 72 ounces of alcohol. Should I try increasing my ratios the next time I dye it?

Also, I've been having a problem with my spray bottles as well. They keep on getting clogged by small bits of fiber that were left over from the cores of the sharpies, causing the flow of the spray to get really messed up depending on how the fibers stick in the nozzle. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

AkaneSaotome
02-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Which color sharpies should I use to get this color? And what color base wig should I start with? Thanks.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/ycysusan2001/33e45ed32e021e28960a1651.jpg

the boy in the front (Ciel)

Envel
02-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Also, I've been having a problem with my spray bottles as well. They keep on getting clogged by small bits of fiber that were left over from the cores of the sharpies, causing the flow of the spray to get really messed up depending on how the fibers stick in the nozzle. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Which sections of the wig are taking the dye better than others? A lot of wigs have trouble taking dye near the crown/skin part. Always make sure you're spraying all of your wig evenly as well, if you spray some parts lighter than others, and some areas wetter, it will come out splotchy.

As for your spray bottle, I always mix my dye in a bottle other than the spray bottle, then pour the finished dye into the sprayer afterward, so that the loose fiber is kept to a minimum. You can try cleaning your nozzle with hot water or a pin/needle, but if that doesn't work you may just have to buy a new bottle. (Luckily they're cheap!)

TaRu
02-06-2009, 06:51 PM
When using Copic Markers, how do I keep them dye from fading out? I read on the Copic Marker FAQ site that since the dye is alchohol-based, it'll fade out easily due to sunlight or bright lighting. Anything I can coat it with to keep it from fading? x.x

Jacaranda
02-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Which sections of the wig are taking the dye better than others? A lot of wigs have trouble taking dye near the crown/skin part. Always make sure you're spraying all of your wig evenly as well, if you spray some parts lighter than others, and some areas wetter, it will come out splotchy.

As for your spray bottle, I always mix my dye in a bottle other than the spray bottle, then pour the finished dye into the sprayer afterward, so that the loose fiber is kept to a minimum. You can try cleaning your nozzle with hot water or a pin/needle, but if that doesn't work you may just have to buy a new bottle. (Luckily they're cheap!)
Yeah, it's near the crown in particular that the dye doesn't take well. I think I'm going to strip the dye off and start over again, maybe after the weather warms up; part of my failures were probably due to my impatience and wanting to get out of the cold weather, since my mom wouldn't let me dye the wig inside.

Anyway, I was mixing and spraying with different bottles, but somehow some little fibers still managed to get themselves stuck in the nozzle. Maybe I should just stock up on a lot of spray bottles the next time I take a whack at dyeing. Thanks for your help. :]

pocky_penguin66
02-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I need to turn a light platinum blonde wig yellow and the bangs purplish black. Would that be possible and which one should I dye first? Also, to get a dark purple, almost black color, could I mix black and purple sharpie? Would that look good?

Please help! <3

london2191
02-15-2009, 11:33 PM

pocky_penguin66
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
pocky-I'd recommend putting up the sections that you want to dye purple/black first (cover it with fabric or a plastic bag to avoid getting yellow on it) and then go ahead and spray your desired yellow color on the wig. For the purple/black part, you might want to hand sharpie it with a dark purple sharpie. As for spraying, I think your dye might turn out mostly black if you mix black and purple, unless you cut off a bit of the black ink cartridge and use a couple of purple ones to balance the black.

Thank you for your response! <3
Would using a spray method be better or a dipping method? I've heard of both to use, but I've never dyed a wig before, so I am unsure of which one would be a better method.
-Thanks

Annette
02-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Feel free to post pics of wigs here:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=172961

otaku_ken
02-26-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't know if this has been covered in a previous thread, but can you miz the sharpie ink spraymethod with the fw ink spray method, because that is what i'm hoping to accomplish this saturday. The fw ink i ordered wasn't waht i thought it would be, and i want to use a blue sharpie to tinge slightly the cool grey fw ink. Would this be a bad idea or should i try it. It's my first wig dye, and i'm just trying to get it right, i only have 1 shot. I'm dying a plantinum blonde wig (approx. 613) kanekalon wig to a greyish blues shade. I'm using fw ink cool grey and shimmering blue, with hopefully a blue sharpie.

here is a pick of the hair color.

http://www.kiri-no-hana.net/vileohgi...t-tempo_04.jpg

Annette
02-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I would do 3 lilac sharpies - let them sit and harvest in your alcohol for a few days or so. Then afterwards, add a THIRD of a black one - just cut the little insert thing to the size you need. then spray and test like on the inside of the wig towards the scalp to see if that's the color you need.

pocky_penguin66
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM
I would do 3 lilac sharpies - let them sit and harvest in your alcohol for a few days or so. Then afterwards, add a THIRD of a black one - just cut the little insert thing to the size you need. then spray and test like on the inside of the wig towards the scalp to see if that's the color you need.

If this is directed towards me, thanks! I've never sprayed before though. Is that a better way to dye it than dipping?

Question- Is there a thread someone can direct toward me to that is a tutorial for dunking/dying wigs?

Thanks <3

drupe
03-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah, it's near the crown in particular that the dye doesn't take well. I think I'm going to strip the dye off and start over again, maybe after the weather warms up; part of my failures were probably due to my impatience and wanting to get out of the cold weather, since my mom wouldn't let me dye the wig inside.

Anyway, I was mixing and spraying with different bottles, but somehow some little fibers still managed to get themselves stuck in the nozzle. Maybe I should just stock up on a lot of spray bottles the next time I take a whack at dyeing. Thanks for your help. :]

Use a cheesecloth to strain out the little fibres when pouring the ink and alcohol solution out, and use it to squeeze the last bits of dye :)

Sunarry
03-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I've found an easier way to dunk dye a wig, but be warned it also can color your hands. I got a larger zip lock bag and put the wig in. Then I dumped the rubbing alcohol in and then the sharpies. Closed it and shook it up to make sure all the wig was covered. I pulled it out and pressed dried it on a towel that was the same color as the dye. After that I put it back in the solution, mixed it up again and this time just laid it on the towel to dry over night. It only takes a couple hours to dry but I let it dried longer just to be sure.
I hope this helps people!! ^^

pocky_penguin66
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
I've found an easier way to dunk dye a wig, but be warned it also can color your hands. I got a larger zip lock bag and put the wig in. Then I dumped the rubbing alcohol in and then the sharpies. Closed it and shook it up to make sure all the wig was covered. I pulled it out and pressed dried it on a towel that was the same color as the dye. After that I put it back in the solution, mixed it up again and this time just laid it on the towel to dry over night. It only takes a couple hours to dry but I let it dried longer just to be sure.
I hope this helps people!! ^^

That would be perfect if you were to dye it just one color but I need to dye the bangs much darker than the rest. I have a platinum blonde base, and I need that to be yellowish and the bangs purplish black. Doing your method would work awesomely for the yellow...but if I did that, would dying it twice with the darker color come out well?

Envel
03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
That would be perfect if you were to dye it just one color but I need to dye the bangs much darker than the rest. I have a platinum blonde base, and I need that to be yellowish and the bangs purplish black. Doing your method would work awesomely for the yellow...but if I did that, would dying it twice with the darker color come out well?

I assume the character you're doing is the one in your avatar?

The easiest way to do a wig like that would be to spray dye the yellow parts, making sure to get as little as possible yellow dye on the bangs. You can even hand-dye the part closest to the bangs with a paintbrush or sponge to make sure you get it nice and even, then you would do the bangs part by hand, since there is a dark purple Sharpie available.

You could spray dye the bangs as well, but to make sure there's as little color bleedage where you don't want it as possible, you would probably want to do it by hand. Besides, for a purple as dark as you're wanting, hand Sharpieing it on would be the best way.

pocky_penguin66
03-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I assume the character you're doing is the one in your avatar?

The easiest way to do a wig like that would be to spray dye the yellow parts, making sure to get as little as possible yellow dye on the bangs. You can even hand-dye the part closest to the bangs with a paintbrush or sponge to make sure you get it nice and even, then you would do the bangs part by hand, since there is a dark purple Sharpie available.

You could spray dye the bangs as well, but to make sure there's as little color bleedage where you don't want it as possible, you would probably want to do it by hand. Besides, for a purple as dark as you're wanting, hand Sharpieing it on would be the best way.

Ok thank you very much!

Annette
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
If this is directed towards me, thanks! I've never sprayed before though. Is that a better way to dye it than dipping?

Question- Is there a thread someone can direct toward me to that is a tutorial for dunking/dying wigs?

Thanks <3

Oh sorry! That was actually for otaku_ken. But while I'm at it - for your wig what *I* would do is do the entire wig yellow. Then get black extensions and do those with the purple dye, then sew them into the wig. One girl did the whole super dark purple thing - you can see the results here:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1473485/

Ryoko-and-Yami
03-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi. I was wondering what way of dying should I used for dying this wig: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1664601/ Should I use the spray method or should I not use sharpie? I tried dying it red once before with Katie Blair's dye but it does became a little redder and when I washed it the wig became orange again. I want it red, like blood red! I spent so much on this wig (seriously I was insane for what I paid for it) and don't want to buy another wig for the costume. Thanks.

yume-darling
03-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi. I was wondering what way of dying should I used for dying this wig: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1664601/ Should I use the spray method or should I not use sharpie? I tried dying it red once before with Katie Blair's dye but it does became a little redder and when I washed it the wig became orange again. I want it red, like blood red! I spent so much on this wig (seriously I was insane for what I paid for it) and don't want to buy another wig for the costume. Thanks.

From what I can tell, sharpie method (or FW ink for that matter) may not work so well for this wig since the red is probably going to be lighter than the color of your wig. It may add a bit of red sheen to it, but the color won't change by too much. It's hard to say, though, so you could try dyeing a swatch of it in very concentrated red-sharpie dye (maybe 2-3 sharpies for 4 oz.? Or more) and then see if it makes a difference.

If the red you're thinking for the wig is darker than what it is now, you may be fine and just make it really concentrated since the wig is already rather dark. You could use like 2-3 red sharpies with one black.

But since this wig is so expensive, I'd strongly suggest doing a test swatch either way.

SakkyxHaruno
03-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Ano.. Sorry if this is dumb.. But do you think this wig will go all black: http://i13.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ec/35/7452_1_sbol.JPG

I got confused reading the highlights thing. x__X

Riku_Heartless
03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
i dont think i've ever tried to sharpie my wigs @_@ seems interesting

Serifed
03-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I just found this out, maybe it belongs in the FAQ section, but retractable sharpies require a lot more of them to dye a wig.

In normal sharpies, the filament is like 4 inches, but in retractable sharpies, it's like 2. Also, in retractables, the filament does not "juice" out at all.

and here I thought they'd have more ink since they are so much larger than a normal sharpie... shows what I know.

Just thought it was note worthy.

Mystiqe
03-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm going to be dying a long green wig so it fades from black to green. Like in this image http://aichan25.deviantart.com/art/Aoi-and-Kue-SnuggleTime-collab-91006358 Would this method work with Copic markers? Or Prismacolors?

And This is the wig.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=148410&ppid=1122&image=124955656&images=124955656,124955667,140179731,140179739&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

How many markers would I need?

Zexion.6
03-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Has anyone tried dying fur with sharpies? And if yes, did it turn out well?

Enny
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
A while ago, LizardMandy posted this about dyeing faux fur: http://community.livejournal.com/fursuit/2826105.html

Zexion.6
03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
A while ago, LizardMandy posted this about dyeing faux fur: http://community.livejournal.com/fursuit/2826105.html

Thank you~ 83

AkaneSaotome
03-31-2009, 07:48 PM
I just wanna make sure this makes sense.

ok I bought this wig:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/AkaneSaotome/15c0_1_b.jpg

and I bought the limited edition sharpies in earl grey. Its darker then the normal grey with a hint of blue.

I need to cut it and then If I use the spray method or dunk method, it should come out to be this color yes?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/AkaneSaotome/Ciel-1.jpg

Or should I hand sharpie it?

pocky_penguin66
03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm still really scared to dye my wig...

Its only for the bangs now. My boyfriend wants just the bangs of this blondish/silver wig to have black bangs..I'm stuck deciding on whether to dye them or wefting..I don't even know how to weft and the wig is fairly thin.

Envel
03-31-2009, 10:45 PM
I just wanna make sure this makes sense.

ok I bought this wig:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/AkaneSaotome/15c0_1_b.jpg

and I bought the limited edition sharpies in earl grey. Its darker then the normal grey with a hint of blue.

I need to cut it and then If I use the spray method or dunk method, it should come out to be this color yes?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/AkaneSaotome/Ciel-1.jpg

Or should I hand sharpie it?

That color looks like a fairly dark base. If you dillute the Sharpies with alcohol, they may not show up at all on that. I would hand Sharpie it.

I'm still really scared to dye my wig...

Its only for the bangs now. My boyfriend wants just the bangs of this blondish/silver wig to have black bangs..I'm stuck deciding on whether to dye them or wefting..I don't even know how to weft and the wig is fairly thin.

If all you're wanting is for your wig to have black bangs, and your base wig is very thin, I would just buy the Cosworx prewefted extensions and sew them into the front of the wig, rather than hand Sharpie or cut bangs into the wig.

Also: Serifed, I have added your retractable Sharpie comment to the second post of the FAQ guide. If anyone has noticed any other things that are noteworthy that I have missed in the thread, please let me know! <3

AkaneSaotome
03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
That color looks like a fairly dark base. If you dillute the Sharpies with alcohol, they may not show up at all on that. I would hand Sharpie it.

Thanks! I've never hand sharpied a wig before. How many sharpies will I need? And do I just color it as if i was painting it? And do you rinse it afterwards like the spray method?

pocky_penguin66
04-01-2009, 12:11 PM

If all you're wanting is for your wig to have black bangs, and your base wig is very thin, I would just buy the Cosworx prewefted extensions and sew them into the front of the wig, rather than hand Sharpie or cut bangs into the wig.

Also: Serifed, I have added your retractable Sharpie comment to the second post of the FAQ guide. If anyone has noticed any other things that are noteworthy that I have missed in the thread, please let me know! <3

Thank you for the advice! I truly appreciate it. This helps soo much. I didn't realize there was prewefted extentions out there *sighs of relief*

I wish they had a picture up for the extentions but I see that that is pretty much what I need. Thanks again! Now I need to figure out how many...I think one might do it. The length is a little bit above chin length and four thick (Inch wide) strips would be necessary

strawberryapril
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi,
I want to dye a white wig a light blonde color (Sepia 22 - beige) to be specific....

But I don't want it to end up looking too yellow....any idea how I should do this? I would have to dilute a yellow/peach color, right?

Candyoverlord
04-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I wouldnt use yellow or peach. A common yellow sharpie will make it more of a sailor moon yellow than a natural blonde. I would dilute a brown sharpie until its super light. That should be closer to the color you're looking for.

I just dyed my wig from platinum blonde to goldenrod. I used 4 yellow sharpies and a dark brown one in 8 oz of alcohol. It came out a medium color more on the yellow side. If anyone is looking for that color. XD I'll post pics after the convention.

Mystiqe
04-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm going to be dying a long green wig so it fades from black to green. Like in this image http://aichan25.deviantart.com/art/Aoi-and-Kue-SnuggleTime-collab-91006358 Would this method work with Copic markers? Or Prismacolors?

And This is the wig.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=148410&ppid=1122&image=124955656&images=124955656,124955667,140179731,140179739&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

How many markers would I need?

I'm still waiting for a reply :C

Annette
04-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm still waiting for a reply :C

You could do this 2 ways:
1. The boring way but personally what I would do: Buy longer extensions in green and attach them to the scalp of the wig underneath the black hair and trim the black as you see necessary.

2. The fun way: take a white wig and dunk the bottom half plus a few inches into a green sharpie or fw ink dye. If you need help on what to do - feel free to check out the forum I started, a girl posted a REALLY vibrant green wig and how she did it:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=2893412

Now hang that upside down to dry, rinse, dry upside down again.

Then make a black sharpie or fw ink dye. I'd rubber band the bottom ends of the wig into one bunch to make it easier. Then holding the bottom of the wig at the rubberband, dunk the top part of the wig minus a few inches into the black dye. Hang that upside down to dry, rinse WHILE MAKING SURE IT STAYS UPSIDE DOWN, and allow to dry remaining upside down again. This is very important because if the black drips down onto the green, it may ruin the green and darken it. If the wig remains upside down, the green dripping onto the black will not affect the wig's coloring.

Then once the wig is dry, take some alcohol and dillute it with water. Soak a cottonball and blend the black portion of the dye onto the green. It should fade nicely. You may want to test this on a part of the wig that won't be seen, like underneath - if the alcohol/water mixture removes too much dye, add water. If it doesn't blend enough, add alcohol.

Hope this helps!

Aurynia
04-21-2009, 05:43 PM
It's a good idea to dye a white/platinum blonde wig to a different color, right? (In my case, blue?) I'm thinking of buying a platinum blonde wig to dye it for this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FCMM_RZuNpU/SUAl7E3MXNI/AAAAAAAAAFo/R26TT4dD6-c/s320/Konan_nd_Pein___UltiMate_TeaM_by_NightElfPriestess .jpg

I stumbled upon the http://firewolfart.com/art/files/cosplay/wigtutorial.html tutorial, and it suggests me to use http://www.dickblick.com/products/koh-i-noor-trans-mix-media-brilliant-ink/

I'm sure it's personal preference, but is there anything else about that kind of ink vs. Sharpies? And... is there a good sharpie tutorial?

Thanks!

lestats_violin
04-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok guys,
Say I'm a complete masochist and would like to beat some really unlikely odds.
I know it's really stupid and I should just get another wig and compromise on either style or colour but if there's any hope that I can accomplish this, I'd like to at least try.

I want to dye a wig.
I want to dye a fairly long and thick wig.
I want to dye a fairly long and thick wig made of Eleora fiber.
I want to dye a fairly long and thick wig made of Eleora fiber RED.
And I want to hand sharpie it.

That's right. I'm completely insane apparently. I forsee great disaster and I don't know why I'm obsessing over this so much. This is a combination of everything that could possibly cause me problems.

Has anyone attempted to dye an Eleora wig red before?

I really don't want to spend the money ordering the wig if it's completely destined to fail. The wig I want only comes in natural colours and I want it something close to Cosworx's dark red. I know dye doesn't stick to Eleora very well, but I've hand sharpied the ends of a blond Eleora wig black before and it turned out just fine (although I haven't worn it with my costume yet, but it doesn't rub off on my fingers or the white sweatshirt I wore to do test shots with it).

Apparently Katie Bair's newest wig dye formula works on Eleora wigs, but I was asking on her forum and I was told that I probably wouldn't be able to go from blonde to red without it looking kinda washed out.

I'd pretty much given up until I was loitering around these forums and spotted this thread and remembered that I'd successfully hand sharpied on blond Eleora before. I just really wish I still had scraps from that previous wig to test it on.

My last concern, is shade... I know you can tamper with shades by mixing colours when you use the spray on method, but is there a way to maybe make it a little darker or redder if it looks too orange or is too bright after I hand sharpie it?

Sooo... what's the verdict? Anyone tried it?
Or if not, does anyone have any scrap blond Eleora fibers they can do a quick swatch test for me to see if it sticks or just runs off after it's rinsed?

ShinobiXikyu
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Just did my first spray-dye with sharpies, it worked great but it REALLY reeks in terms of the fumes. Thanks to my mom though, I found a really good way to get rid of them quick in a bathroom- take a small dish of plain vinegar and let it sit for a little while, it absorbs the smell and then you can use it to clean out the tub/sink afterward ^^

sub0scientist
04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Quick query! I'm dying some wefts for a friend on a budget, so FW ink isn't an option (what with shipping). I need to tone them a light/medium grey, so obviously black Sharpies won't work. What I need is that grey colour but without the silver sheen (yee!), so will silver Sharpies work for my purposes? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on what will happen with them. Like I said, I just need that grey tone, not the associated bling.

Atashi
04-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Quick query! I'm dying some wefts for a friend on a budget, so FW ink isn't an option (what with shipping). I need to tone them a light/medium grey, so obviously black Sharpies won't work. What I need is that grey colour but without the silver sheen (yee!), so will silver Sharpies work for my purposes? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on what will happen with them. Like I said, I just need that grey tone, not the associated bling.
You shouldn't use silver Sharpies. I believe the silver pigment from them is more like tiny metallic flecks that will float to the top of the wig fibers and be washed off easily when you rinse and dry the wig. Use gray Sharpies and do a gradient to give the fibers more definition. If the fibers are originally very shiny, then that'll show through, too.

sub0scientist
04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
You shouldn't use silver Sharpies. I believe the silver pigment from them is more like tiny metallic flecks that will float to the top of the wig fibers and be washed off easily when you rinse and dry the wig. Use gray Sharpies and do a gradient to give the fibers more definition. If the fibers are originally very shiny, then that'll show through, too.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. :) I've seen people say both in this thread (silver flecks as well as 'it'll turn things grey but the metallic part will just float to the top, so don't expect shiny'), so I just wanted to verify which advice was correct before proceeding. :3

Would somewhere like Office Max carry the grey Sharpies (I've never even seen those before), or will I have to order them online? And, are they a true grey pigment or a brown/blue/purple/whatever shade that's going to give me undesirable colour results? I just can't find 30-40% neutral grey toned wefting fibre that's 48" long. T^T

Neurotic Nocturne
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Ah, i've just recently completed my first sharpie dying project, but I've run into a problem.

It bleeds, badly. I rinced it out once, but nothing came out, and thus I figured it was because I hand dyed it. However, now that it has beeen dryed and I have been cutting and styling it, It bleeds horribly.

Perhaps I should've rinsed it in warm water? Does that make a difference? Thanks in advance.

Mystiqe
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
You could do this 2 ways:
1. The boring way but personally what I would do: Buy longer extensions in green and attach them to the scalp of the wig underneath the black hair and trim the black as you see necessary.

2. The fun way: take a white wig and dunk the bottom half plus a few inches into a green sharpie or fw ink dye. If you need help on what to do - feel free to check out the forum I started, a girl posted a REALLY vibrant green wig and how she did it:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=2893412

Now hang that upside down to dry, rinse, dry upside down again.

Then make a black sharpie or fw ink dye. I'd rubber band the bottom ends of the wig into one bunch to make it easier. Then holding the bottom of the wig at the rubberband, dunk the top part of the wig minus a few inches into the black dye. Hang that upside down to dry, rinse WHILE MAKING SURE IT STAYS UPSIDE DOWN, and allow to dry remaining upside down again. This is very important because if the black drips down onto the green, it may ruin the green and darken it. If the wig remains upside down, the green dripping onto the black will not affect the wig's coloring.

Then once the wig is dry, take some alcohol and dillute it with water. Soak a cottonball and blend the black portion of the dye onto the green. It should fade nicely. You may want to test this on a part of the wig that won't be seen, like underneath - if the alcohol/water mixture removes too much dye, add water. If it doesn't blend enough, add alcohol.

Hope this helps!

I'd love to say it does, but I already have the wig in green (the wig that I linked to above)

Would it be easier to hand sharpie?

Lollerskates
04-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Unfortunately I'm a newbie at wig styling, so I've got a quick question for how to go about doing my Axel wig. I plan to Sharpie dye my wig a darker shade of red, and I also want to do Axel's widow's peak. My question is which should I do first - the widow's peak or dying the wig? It might not even matter, but I'm afraid of it bleeding all over the place while I work on the widow's peak (it is red dye, after all XD).

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

mini_kitten_o5
05-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I was wondering, I want to sharpie dye a white wig (As in milk white, not silver) a nice platinum blonde shade. So I made a dye of one yellow sharpie, and about 230 mL of 70% rubbing alcohol. But the dye looks too dark. I was wondering if instead of pouring in more alcohol, if I can dilute it with water. Since I only want to tint the wig into a platinum blonde.

pocky_penguin66
05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Aw man I didnt even have to dye my wig!!! I just colored each strand black and it worked perfectly and the color stays!!!

Annette
05-07-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd love to say it does, but I already have the wig in green (the wig that I linked to above)

Would it be easier to hand sharpie?

Oh thats even better - all you do is skip a step and dunk the top half in black sharpie + alcohol mix, once rinsed and dry take an alcohol swab and pull the black down on top of the green.

ultima_flare
05-13-2009, 12:38 AM
I was just wondering if i can dye this wig: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150333766044&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

to a darker chestnut brown with sharpies? such as this colour?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160331124439

Annette
05-13-2009, 10:49 AM
I was just wondering if i can dye this wig: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150333766044&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

to a darker chestnut brown with sharpies? such as this colour?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160331124439

Yes you deff can - I'd do 16 oz of alcohol and 8 brown sharpies. Let it harvest for 48 hours, then test a spot on the wig If that's not dark enough throw a black sharpie in there.

amaturatsu33
05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
How to you make a dyed wig less streaky? Whenever I dye wigs with sharpie they are streaky and though thus far it has worked out well I am afraid with the darker colors it will not be as good.

Luther
05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I was wondering, I want to sharpie dye a white wig (As in milk white, not silver) a nice platinum blonde shade. So I made a dye of one yellow sharpie, and about 230 mL of 70% rubbing alcohol. But the dye looks too dark. I was wondering if instead of pouring in more alcohol, if I can dilute it with water. Since I only want to tint the wig into a platinum blonde.

Are you judging the color of the dye by how it looks in the bottle? Don't worry, the dye in the bottle will look different and darker than the color it dyes things. You can find out its true color by dipping something in it to test it, like spare wig hair or the corner of a tissue. Your dye may in fact not be concentrated enough, if you have only 1 sharpie in there for about a cup of alchohol! (I usually go by 4 sharpies per 1 cup, but you likely won't need that many since it's such a light color... I dunno, I've never dyed something very light.) You may need at least one more. I'd test on some actual wig hair to find out!

Unfortunately I'm a newbie at wig styling, so I've got a quick question for how to go about doing my Axel wig. I plan to Sharpie dye my wig a darker shade of red, and I also want to do Axel's widow's peak. My question is which should I do first - the widow's peak or dying the wig? It might not even matter, but I'm afraid of it bleeding all over the place while I work on the widow's peak (it is red dye, after all XD).

Definitely do the dye first. Depending on how you create the widow's peak, it'll likely be difficult to dye afterwards. If you give your dye plenty of time to sit before using (I'd say at least two days), mist it on lightly, not drenching your wig, and wash your wig once the dye's done drying, with any luck the bleeding shouldn't be an issue.

Ah, i've just recently completed my first sharpie dying project, but I've run into a problem.

It bleeds, badly. I rinced it out once, but nothing came out, and thus I figured it was because I hand dyed it. However, now that it has beeen dryed and I have been cutting and styling it, It bleeds horribly.

Perhaps I should've rinsed it in warm water? Does that make a difference? Thanks in advance.

First of all, this doesn't have to do with dying but you should never rinse a wig in warm water! o_o Always use cool or lukewarm-- I do cold so as not to run any risk of heat-forming the thing. Remember the hot water straightening method? Yeah. You don't want your fibers reforming while you're just trying to rinse the thing.

Since you hand-dyed it, which usually doesn't have as many problems with dye staying, it makes me suspect there's something up with your wig itself. Are you 100% sure what kind of fiber the wig is? I know Kanekalon and Eleora are dyeable, and while I haven't tried it myself I think Toyokalon is too. If it's Eleora, then, well, some people have trouble dyeing Eleora wigs while others don't, for some inexplicable reason. Does it have any product in it that it came with to preserve the style, like the Innocent wig's waxy substance that prevents dyeing? And did you let all the ink dry before you rinsed? I'm not sure whether that's as much of a factor with hand-dyed wigs, though...

I've hand-dyed a wig with silver sharpies before. Absolutely no metallic-y flakes or anything once it was rinsed and done, it just turned it grey. I don't know if silver sharpies can be diluted with alchohol, though.

World
05-19-2009, 08:17 PM
I have a similar problem to Ultima Flare. I recently ordered a wig from cosworx in 2 (sepia colours). They were out of 2 - they sent me a 6!

Is it possible to make the 6, the medium chestnut brown, into a very dark, very rich brown(close to the 4, dark brown)? Or is the 6 already so dark that no dye will make a difference?

And regarding dyeing a wig brown, should a stick of black be added if I used, say, 8 dark brown sharpies in a 16 oz bottle? Wouldn't that turn it purple?

Thank you kindly.

Insane-Chan
05-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I have a question, and would appreciate a little advice. I have a snowey-white wig that I plan to dye pink for this weekend's con in CA. The problem is, for the past week, none of the craft/art stores in my area which sell sharpies in individual colors have pink in stock. My other option is to buy pink sharpies in a large pack, however, those will cost $18 and only contain one pink. I need at least 2 or 3. So, since red sharpies are readily available in local stores, I was wondering if red can be used to create a bubblegum pink color? Has anyone ever tried this, or know alternatives?

Andrea
05-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Here's a question, actually a couple:

I know pre-styled wigs are notorious for dye not sticking, but I need a ringlet wig in grey-green. Something like the June 802 here at Cosworx, or the French Curl at Amphigory. Greyer than any green wig I've seen, greener than any grey wig I've seen. So...

1. Do I even bother trying the dunk/spray dye methods, or go straight for hand-coloring for maximum ink-to-fiber ratio?

2. Do I bother AT ALL, or just give up and get a non-ringlet wig and dye it and then try putting ringlets in it and hope the product doesn't kill the color?

thalassaskye
05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I also have a question about dyeing wigs that are either curly or wavy.
I'm thinking of buying this wig: http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=26307&cat=2495&page=1 for my Nia Teppelin cosplay, and is it okay to dye wigs that are wavy? Because I know you have to wash them out after dyeing and comb through the wigs during the process. I am unsure as to whether the wig would be come less wavy after I dye it.

Koei
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM
I have a wig that was dyed via sharpie... I'm wanting to straighten it... Would hot water straightening it take all the dye out?

Mystiqe
05-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm hand sharpieing the wig, do i need to do anything to set it? orrr? ><;

CountessKiwi
06-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I've never dyed a wig before, so I have a few quick questions before I go ahead and buy/get started on anything.

I'd like to dye this wig:
http://amphigory.com/wigs_fy_cowgirl_haute.html

I'd like to dye it an orange color (the color this character's hair: http://usuarios.lycos.es/yakusoku/images/Slayers/Lina.JPG). Since they only offer the wig in natural colors, I'm assuming buying it in blonde would be the best choice? Would the color of the dye I use have to be a little different because the base wig is blonde? Also, will dying this wig take out the wave/curl?

Thanks!

DeathByCosplay
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm almost done dying a silver-white wig a darker silver with metallic sharpies. Its true, spray dying with metallic silver sharpies does not work. I doubt gold works neither. So if you want to dye a wig silver, you have to do it ALL by hand. It is very time consuming, yes...its been a week and I'm still not done. I'm sure dying a thin wig or a short wig isn't as time consuming when dying by hand, but a Linda B is a longish and thick wig. These sharpie fumes are giving me a headache...I'm so excited that I'm almost done though. For anyone dying a wig silver in the future, keep in mind, it dyes a DARK GRAY. Now, I haven't tried it yet, because this dark gray is the color I want...but if you wanted a lighter gray, I'm sure alcohol could lighten it up.

Andrea
06-05-2009, 05:55 AM
I was just experimenting with silver sharpies myself - trying to dye a "dark green" wig (actually not very dark at all despite the name) to more of a dark, greyish green. Coloring it by hand actually was *opaque* - the part of the wig I tried coloring that way (on the underside where it won't be seen) just came out silver, not grey-green. Maybe it's because I'm using a wig that's darker than the metallic ink, so the color shows up more? Every other time I've seen an experiment with someone using silver sharpies, they're trying to make a mostly white wig darker, rather than darkening a wig that's already dark... or maybe it's the fiber of this thing. (New Look Naomi, for the record.)

That wasn't at all what I wanted, so I tried making the dye with the rest of the barely-used silver sharpie. As noted previously in the thread, once it's in alcohol, it's not the slightest bit silver. However, it's sort of a medium grey, which is exactly what I wanted. (I can't find slate grey sharpies for sale ANYWHERE, which is why I'm doing this experiment. :P) Once I'd let it sit for an hour with intermittent shaking, I tried spraying it on... and oddly enough, it put darker, greyer streaks in the wig, like it was dyeing some fibers and not others. Again, I wonder if this has something to do with the particular wig I'm using, if it's a mix of different fibers or something... At any rate, it's much closer to the effect I'm going for, but REALLY tediously slow. I may try a higher ratio of sharpie-to-alcohol after I've tried one more experiment, if that one doesn't work out. (I know black sharpies aren't actually black, but I liked the color that one lock turned when I hand-colored it and then wiped it with alcohol to disperse the color, so spraying it with diluted black may be just the thing I want for this particular wig.)

Anyway, experimenting with sharpies is fun! I'm just glad that I'm not short on time for finishing this wig, considering all the different things I'm trying. ;)

satchansays
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
hi, I'm thinking of dyeing a Cosworx Scruffy wig an orange shade for my Neku cosplay. one of my best reference pictures is http://hatedpig.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/neku1.jpg, so I'm trying to match that shade as closely as possible. however, I can't find a wig that has both the length and color I want, so I decided I'd settle for an orange color rather than go crazy trying to match the exact "cinnamon" color of his hair. there are plenty of shades of orange that can match it close enough.

I went on the Sharpie website to look at the shades of orange they have available...I went to this page: http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Fine_Point_Permanent_Marker.html - they have three shades of orange - orange, pumpkin, and tangerine. I'm thinking of buying a white wig, so I'm assuming that when I dye it, the end result might be a shade lighter than the ink because the wig is such an extremely light color. any suggestions on which color Sharpies I should use?

I was also thinking that if I bought a very light brown/blonde wig and dyed it with the orange, I might be able to get a little closer to the "cinnamon" color. has anyone dyed over a wig of that color before and can tell me what the finished product was like?

any and all advice would be very, very appreciated. :) also feel free to email me if you'd rather; my email is misadventures@ymail.com. thanks!

Reformed Tomboy
06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I've never dyed a wig before, so I have a few quick questions before I go ahead and buy/get started on anything.

I'd like to dye this wig:
http://amphigory.com/wigs_fy_cowgirl_haute.html

I'd like to dye it an orange color (the color this character's hair: http://usuarios.lycos.es/yakusoku/images/Slayers/Lina.JPG). Since they only offer the wig in natural colors, I'm assuming buying it in blonde would be the best choice? Would the color of the dye I use have to be a little different because the base wig is blonde? Also, will dying this wig take out the wave/curl?

Thanks!

I'd love to hear a response on this as well. I'm getting this wig: http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_a_isabella.html and plan on turning it an orangeish-red. I'm really worried about the style though. Any help would be great! ^.^

loserific
06-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Hey~~quick question. I know this is probably already asked before but I honestly do not have much time. Usually I would read every singal page but this is for a friend and I have a project to finish >___________<

So we were wondering if it was possiable to take this wig: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/showproduct.php/product/12518/cat/1 and dye it so it can be like this http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/284/a/7/Kuroshitsuji___Meirin_by_adoroloble.png

From my experance I understand that it is possible to tint colors to make them darker. Ive only done this with a pink wig that I wanted to be darker. That worked but the color was really bright to start with. Im afraid that even if we dye it it wont make much of a difference. So with this wig should we just try and find a wig that matches that color or dye it starting with white wig. Thanks <3

confusedxphreak
06-08-2009, 08:24 PM
I have a question that I hope won't be a bother to anyone. I was wondering if it was possible to dye a wig in the Cosworx New Look blue (http://cosworx.com/images/partycolors/s-blue.jpg) to a blue like Kamina's hair from Gurren Lagann.

Kamina ref: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/animephreak15/kamina.jpg

I found the perfect sharpie color for his hair color, but I just wanted to know if it would work in changing the original blue color of the wig or would it be better for me to just get a light wig before dyeing. Thanks. :)

keikana
06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I may have missed it somewhere scanning through the replies to this thread, but I have a quick question.

I went to the store in search of some alchohol for my sharpie-dye mix, and found 70% alchohol no problem, however there were two kinds of rubbing alchohol: ethyl alchohol and isopropyl alchohol. Is there even a difference/preference for this method?

I figured I'd consult the experts before buying.

satchansays
06-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I may have missed it somewhere scanning through the replies to this thread, but I have a quick question.

I went to the store in search of some alchohol for my sharpie-dye mix, and found 70% alchohol no problem, however there were two kinds of rubbing alchohol: ethyl alchohol and isopropyl alchohol. Is there even a difference/preference for this method?

I figured I'd consult the experts before buying.

I have this question as well!

Aka-x
06-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm hand sharpieing the wig, do i need to do anything to set it? orrr? ><;

you just color on it.

Unless it is in bad shape and icky.
If dirty wash it, and then brush it out.
then just color onto the wig with your desired color.

I believe mid-length wigs usaully take up to 8 sharpies sometimes if I am correct.
:3

once you finish coloring it you wash it out.

If there is extra ink it will come out, keep washing it untilt he water is clear.
if no ink comes out then no worrys!
It just means that you didn't put too much ink on it.

Also theres no need to do it all in one sitting.
I do bits and peices of mine and then take a break before going back to it.

london2191
06-21-2009, 04:37 AM

Starla James
06-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey guys

My question is, I live in the UK, and I got my sharpies but then went to buy 70% rubbing alchahol and i cant find it anywhere, and people dont know what im talkign about so,I found that surgical spirit is maybe the uk equivilent?? but i cant find 70% surgical spirit , ive tried tescos, my pharmacist, and sallys beauty, can anyone shed some light please

xxx

Kukkii-san
06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Ask for isopropyl alcohol / isopropanol (70% and up - higher concentrations are fine too.) They should be able to bottle it for you at the pharmacy; or order it online^^

Sisshi
06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
I have a question about dying with more than one color. I have a white wig I'm planning on dying multiple colors, how would someone recomend doing it?

Kukkii-san
06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry, double post >_<

Kukkii-san
06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Just mix multiple colors in separate spray bottles and apply them (at the same time, but right next to each other - try not to overapply the dye too often, as this will cause the dye to run and leave discolored streaks.)

Starla James
06-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Kukki-San to the rescue again :)
I can only find it online but I need a prescription lol apparently,
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol-bp-70-600ml_4_14925.html

Not sure how it go down with my doctor " I need it for my wig... i mean chest infection, hmm"

Can you send me some links pretty please.

Also, how much alchahol am i using for a medium size wig, well, a short wig and a ponytail extension, im seeing mixed results as I look ??

xxx

Kukkii-san
06-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I could only give you links to German sites, so I'm afraid you'll have to keep looking^^; But they shouldn't give you any trouble at a pharmacy, or an online store that sells theatrical makeup, for example (rubbing alcohol is used as a cleaning agent and makeup remover.)

For a shoulder length wig, you'll need anything from 100-300ml (depends on the thickness, the color you're going for, how thorough you are, and your level of experience.)

kihayo
06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I wanetd to try this method out, but I'm not sure which shapries to use to get a color liek this : http://www.j-isle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/taiga.jpg

can anyone help me out ^^;

HARU*KA
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Planning to try the spray method to dye a white wig to this golden blonde (http://i41.tinypic.com/291ghzt.jpg).
Suggestions on what color?
I was thinking a marigold/brown mix..? If so, what ratio should I use? If not, what would be a better color?

Pocketstar
07-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi there. I was wondering what type of alcohol I should buy. I understand that i have to buy something that was 70% alcohol but the stuff in my local chemist doesnt say anything about percentages of stuff.

Atolii
07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I've got a question~

My friend has a party red colored wig she wants to dye a darker (blood) red, but just a normal red sharpie doesn't make it dark enough, therefor it wouldn't be worth the effort to color the whole thing.
So we were wondering if there was a way to make the red darker?
Like perhaps by mixing black sharpie with the red sharpe or something? o_o
Idk, we just need it darker red. D:
HELPPLZ.

AkatsukiSky
07-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I juste received my blond wig for my cosplay. I have to dye only some lock on it, do I use the same technique? Less sharpies? What technique would you recommand actually? Is it possible to just color the wig with the pen, I've been wondering actually (because before I read here, I didn't know we had to mix it with alcohol).

Thanks!

lestats_violin
07-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Hey, I have a question. There are other types of sharpies out there (like the giant industrial ones) has anyone tried using these at all? Would you recommend against it? I'm thinking more about hand sharpying, but I'm curious if anyone has tried them at all...
http://www.sharpie.com/enCA/Product/Sharpie_Magnum_reg;_Permanent_Marker.html

ladylada
07-11-2009, 09:14 AM
emIIru: You're probably better off trying to find a Burgundy or Pomegranate colored sharpie rather than mixing it with the black. However, black sharpies are usually concentrated red or purple, so it might give you the desired effect. You'd have to experiment yourself to be sure, though--black sharpies are kind of weird.

AkatsukySky: Yes, you can just color on the wig with the sharpie, and if you're just coloring one small section, that's what I'd recommend.

lestats_violin: As long as the ink makeup's still the same as a normal Sharpie, it should work (I just made a batch of dye using the Extra Fine Sharpies--the ink well's a little thinner, but they're infinitely easier to open than the normal ones). The only problem I could foresee with the Industrial ones is that the casing seems to be made out of metal, so it'd be difficult to open. You'd probably have to get a pair of pliers and try to pull off the plastic part in back.

And now, I have a question of my own: how long can Sharpie Dye be stored before it starts to break down? I just made 24 oz. of a gorgeous dark teal dye...unfortunately, it's not the color I need. -_-

I don't want to throw it away, but I can't use it at the moment. So how long do I have before I need to do something with it?

lestats_violin
07-11-2009, 06:47 PM
lestats_violin: As long as the ink makeup's still the same as a normal Sharpie, it should work (I just made a batch of dye using the Extra Fine Sharpies--the ink well's a little thinner, but they're infinitely easier to open than the normal ones). The only problem I could foresee with the Industrial ones is that the casing seems to be made out of metal, so it'd be difficult to open. You'd probably have to get a pair of pliers and try to pull off the plastic part in back.

I'm actually thinking about hand sharpying. So I'm not too concerned with breaking the casing. I'm just thinking about more ink in a a thicker applicator (which sounds better for hand sharpying).

WomanOfSporks
07-12-2009, 03:41 PM
This isn't too big of a concern but I was wondering, d'you know just how long the dye will last? Like if I were to make it ahead of time or have some left over would it keep?

Midori27
07-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Here's my experience with the hand sharpie method.
I hand sharpied a short light-brown wig with a red sharpie for my Matt cosplay (took about 4 hrs, trying to be thorough) and I really liked how it came out.
You can see a pic here: http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/Midori_27/Other/DSC008056.jpg
But while I was wearing it to AX the first day, the red rubbed off on my collar and face, which wasn't too much of a big deal at the time and I had a feeing it would rub off a little at least. Then I don't think I washed it off properly that night because the next day, I wore it again and red rubbed off again, then later my forehead started burning! D8 Mostly when I would touch it, it hurt. I think it's probably because the sharpie was on my skin for too long...? & it felt kinda like it was puffing up. Then it scabbed a little, but at least it was barely noticeable. Maybe it's because I have sensitive skin, but I've never thought I did.

lestats_violin
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Midori just out of curiosity, what shade did you start out with?

Midori27
07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Midori just out of curiosity, what shade did you start out with?

The wig was originally a light-brown color.

AkatsukiSky
07-15-2009, 04:37 PM
AkatsukySky: Yes, you can just color on the wig with the sharpie, and if you're just coloring one small section, that's what I'd recommend.

Thanks! Now other question: Can I use an other kind of pen? I have a bunch of Promarkers that I never used. Did anyone test that? And by just coloring the hair, will the color stay as well as with the sharpie/alcohol mix?

ladylada
07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
AkatsukySky, Most permanent markers have the same basic formula, so in theory, they should work equally well. However, what I've noticed is that Sharpies tend to have slightly more concentrated ink than most other brands of permanent marker. This isn't as important when hand coloring the wig as opposed to making wig dye, but it's still something to be mindful of.

As for the colorfastness, it depends mainly on the material your wig is made of. If it's untreated kanekalon, it should work fine. You might have more trouble if the wig is made of Elora (like the New Look line), or is a treated kanekalon (like the Sepia line). In any circumstance, make sure you give the wig a thorough rinsing with cold water after you're done--it'll remove the excess pigment, and if done properly, the ink shouldn't run at all.

Which brings me to my next point...

Midori, did you remember to rinse the wig before you wore it? If not, that's probably why it ran so badly. And my guess as to why your skin was so irritated afterwards has less to do with sensitive skin (though that's certainly a possibility) and more to do with the fact that Sharpies in-and-of-themselves contain alcohol, which is very drying for skin. Extremely dry skin is painful, and will crack and bleed if it's bad enough. The alcohol-based ink left on your skin all day would've certainly made it that bad.

Midori27
07-16-2009, 02:17 AM
Midori, did you remember to rinse the wig before you wore it? If not, that's probably why it ran so badly. And my guess as to why your skin was so irritated afterwards has less to do with sensitive skin (though that's certainly a possibility) and more to do with the fact that Sharpies in-and-of-themselves contain alcohol, which is very drying for skin. Extremely dry skin is painful, and will crack and bleed if it's bad enough. The alcohol-based ink left on your skin all day would've certainly made it that bad.
Actually no I didn't ^^;
I didn't know I was supposed to rinse it for the hand sharpie method. So I just rinse it with water then? & it'll keep it's color?

ladylada
07-16-2009, 02:29 AM
It'll probably lighten a bit as the excess ink gets washed out, but as long as it's rinsed thoroughly, it shouldn't run any more. Make sure you use cold water (warm will wash your color out), and rinse it until the water runs clear, like you would do if you were dying your own hair.

satchansays
07-16-2009, 10:36 PM
for a Neku Sakuraba cosplay - I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to be dyeing a wig, using the Sharpie method. I'm going to use orange sharpies, but I'm trying to achieve a color as close to this ( http://hatedpig.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/neku1.jpg ) as possible.

I'm thinking of buying a wig in the color 27S (auburn blonde) as seen in this chart ( http://www.cosworx.com/pages.php?pageid=13 ), and dyeing over that with the orange sharpies. has anyone tried dyeing over a base color to achieve a sort of "mixed" or "in-between" color (in my case, somewhere between orange and brown)?

I'm DESPERATELY seeking advice for this; I'd like to buy the wig asap and get to work on it, but I'm not comfortable buying one until I'm more sure about how the color will react to the dye.

please feel free to email me - misadventures@ymail.com. thank you!

Kukkii-san
07-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Looks like the New Look "Fire Red" would work for that character. Orange dye over 27 (or 27S) would yield the same result.

When you're unsure about the color, always do a swatch test first. You can easily get extensions in #27 and make a couple of swatches to use the dye on before you buy the actual wig. Cosworx also sells a color ring for cheap.

Catalinabella
07-17-2009, 02:30 PM
I have a quick question (that is probably silly, I've never styled a wig before). I am going to dye extensions, which are only a few shades lighter than my wig (both are light pink). Would it make much of a difference if I use red Sharpies instead of pink?

Midori27
07-17-2009, 11:55 PM
It'll probably lighten a bit as the excess ink gets washed out, but as long as it's rinsed thoroughly, it shouldn't run any more. Make sure you use cold water (warm will wash your color out), and rinse it until the water runs clear, like you would do if you were dying your own hair.
Ok I see. I'll do that, thanks!

Amechan
07-19-2009, 01:43 PM
So... I dyed my wig and it turned out too dark. It's the right hue, it just needs to be lighter.

Does anyone have a formula or any ideas on how to lighten the wig? I was thinking I could dillute some rubbing alcohol in water and see if it helps. What proof alcohol I should use, completely baffles me.

I'd rather not dye the wig again, seeing that this is my second attempt to get the color right. And I've used so many sharpies that if I buy more it would've been cheaper to buy a second wig.

Kukkii-san
07-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Unfortunately, you can't lighten the wig, you will have to strip the dye off and start over :(

I recommend doing a swatch test next time before you waste your time and money dyeing a whole wig.

Amechan
07-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, if I can't, then I suppose it won't hurt if I atleast experiment with some water, 70 proof rubbing alcohol and some dawn soap then, hmm?

Kukkii-san
07-19-2009, 05:14 PM
That will discolor the wig locally and result in streaks, but it doesn't hurt the wig, no. Just make sure to rinse the wig properly to remove all the dye residue. If it doesn't look like what you want, you can still strip off the rest of the dye and start over.

Vince Noir
07-28-2009, 12:34 AM
17. My wig is Eleora. Can I dye it?
Yes, you can dye Eleora wigs. Simply put, the trick to dyeing an Eleora fiber wig is to use more Sharpies, to make the dye stronger. I've had no problem dyeing Eleora wigs myself.
There have been mixed reviews with dyeing Eleora wigs, however, and I want to point out one thing for this. Any wig, Eleora or other fiber, that has a curl, braid, or other kind of manufactured, permanent style is not usually suitable for dyeing. These wigs have a special coating on them that helps them to keep their permanent style, and that coating doesn't like dye very much. Dye on these wigs, if it sticks, will probably bleed and run off.

Does a Punky count as a "permanent style" unsuitable for tinting? All I wish to do is add in some light highlights after straightening punky.

Squeesax
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Has anyone tried either dye or sharpie with the New look wigs? After I bought one (its light blonde) I heard they are hard to dye. I've got some orange wig dye (and will use sharpies if I have to) to ATLEAST tint it orange, its not supposed to be bright orange but tinted will do, has anyone had success getting any color on these types of wigs?

Andrea
07-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Has anyone tried either dye or sharpie with the New look wigs? After I bought one (its light blonde) I heard they are hard to dye. I've got some orange wig dye (and will use sharpies if I have to) to ATLEAST tint it orange, its not supposed to be bright orange but tinted will do, has anyone had success getting any color on these types of wigs?

I posted about my experience with a New Look "Naomi" wig here (http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=2998967&postcount=24), and there may be other examples in that thread. Which is an excellent thread for seeing what can be done with hand-dyeing, and I wish it was also stickied. :P

The short story in my case: It was a New Look and has a permanent style, and although the dye seemed to gravitate to some particular strands of hair more than others, it did stick (ran around in this wig all day Saturday at Otakon, no rub-off whatsoever) and I rather like the variety of tone, kind of made it look like it had natural highlights.

Envel
07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I've dyed a few New Look wigs, some successfully, some not so much. The best way is just to assume that you can get no better than a mediocre dye job on them.

WELL.

I dyed my Etna wig, a New Look (don't remember which one at this point) and it doesn't bleed at all, not the bangs, and not the hair at the back of my head near my neck. Though you'd probably want to keep in mind that the wig fiber is pretty much drowned in hair spray.

I did a Marth wig a while back, the Melissa, I believe, and it bleeds awfully. I've rinsed and washed it, and it still bleeds when my oily fingers touch it. However, I also did an Ephraim wig, also a Melissa (but in green for those not familiar with Fire Emblem), and it doesn't bleed at all.

I also dyed a wig that was intended to be for Roy from Smash Brothers, I used Katie Bair's hair dye, and it doesn't bleed, but it didn't cover the fiber well at all, it's splotchy and not at all nice to look at.

So as far as New Look wigs go, it seems to me that they're hit or miss. Ones that are pre-styled or curled are definite no-no's, and even the regular ones seem like they only randomly like to take dye. I wouldn't count on dyeing one if I were you.

Andrea
07-30-2009, 04:23 PM
So as far as New Look wigs go, it seems to me that they're hit or miss. Ones that are pre-styled or curled are definite no-no's

The one I dyed in the post directly above yours was pre-styled and curled, actually. So I think they're ALL hit or miss, honestly...

As you noted, it's probably just best to assume you'll get a mediocre dye job out of it, and hope for happy surprises like the one I got. ;)

Kuro_Chi
08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
that answered a lot of questions. when i ordered my Light Yagami wig it turned out a little to blonde. it was suppose to be more brown. so friday when i get paid i am going to get some brown sharpies and alcohol. and a spray bottle. i think the spray method would work best for just wanting to get it a little darker. i will definately be regerring to this a bit more so that way i don't screw anything up. and will also look at the actual wig dyeing guide for how to do everything. thank you!

WinterEffect_
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I went through this entire thread, and I still have a some questions but I'll try to keep it short. ^///^;

I need to dye a wig this amaranth-y color (http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv323/brettaDOOM/Karin/k10.jpg) for Karin from Naruto.

I went through a lot of possibilites but now I just plan on buying a white wig and mixing sharpies to get the right color.

Would the Ivy from Cosworx work? Or is there something wrong with the fiber that the dye may not stick well? Anyone have any experience? The Ivy would be nice because I'll be cutting a least a foot off. That way I can use those extra parts for some wefts for color testing or if I need extra spikey parts.

What about the Cleo from Amphigory (http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_a_cleo.html) in white? Would that take the dye? It says Kanekalon... but it also says White -
paper white fiber (translucent) Does that make a difference?

Vince Noir
08-04-2009, 11:15 AM
[indent][SIZE="1"]
I need to dye a wig this amaranth-y color (http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv323/brettaDOOM/Karin/k10.jpg) for Karin from Naruto.

Would the Ivy from Cosworx work? Or is there something wrong with the fiber that the dye may not stick well? Anyone have any experience? The Ivy would be nice because I'll be cutting a least a foot off. That way I can use those extra parts for some wefts for color testing or if I need extra spikey parts.

I've dyed an Ivy before, it takes the dye well :) Just be prepared to dye it twice, since there is SOOO much fiber!

Kukkii-san
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I recommend getting a light pink or light blonde base wig, white is for really pale colors only (you'll need more dye, and it may end up looking washed out.)

WinterEffect_
08-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I've dyed an Ivy before, it takes the dye well :) Just be prepared to dye it twice, since there is SOOO much fiber!

Ohoki. Thank you. :3
I'm so glad and I just hope I do it right and it works the same for me Dx
I've read so many tuts though, so I should be ok.

I recommend getting a light pink or light blonde base wig, white is for really pale colors only (you'll need more dye, and it may end up looking washed out.)

That was what I was going to do before (it was either going to be a light pink or pale orange) because even if I mess up and it is a bit spotty you wouldn't be able to tell as much with a white wig.

But you're right. I'll think I'll get the Ivy in pink.
edit: I lied. I think I should get the Clover L in light pink. What about the clover? It would be the same as the Ivy I would think? Dx

Kukkii-san
08-05-2009, 03:13 AM
Except that it's shorter?!

WinterEffect_
08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry I meant it would be the same as in take the dye the same.
[didn't read over what I wrote >//<]

It's a stupid question, sorry&nevermind.

NeroFangirl17
08-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey I'm gonna be cosplaying Reno from Final Fantasy: Advent Children
and I'm gonna buy a Punky XL but I'm not sure if I should just buy it in Henna Red (my favorite color choice for that wig) or buy it in a blonde color and sharpie dye it.

I want it to be as close to the color it is in the movie as I can get it and the Henna Red is a little dark so I'm considering sharpie dying it. Also there's a cosplayer I found on youtube who sharpie dyed her's and I love the color so that's what made me think of using that method. The only problem is I won't be getting the wig until my birthday(early October) and I'm planning on wearing it for Halloween so if the color doesn't take or something goes wrong then I won't have the time or money to order a new wig.

So, any advice on what I should do?

Kukkii-san
08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, if the color doesn't come out the way you want it to, you won't have to buy a new wig, just strip off the dye and start over^^

Isn't Reno's hair a darker red, compared to the standard bright red color (not talking about henna red, just the plain red party color)? If so, I'd start with a bright red wig and dye it a darker, toned-down / brownish shade of red. Red on blonde tends to look washed-out.

NeroFangirl17
08-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I actually like that idea much more. I wasn't going to buy party red because I thought it was too bright but I never thought about dying it darker.

How would I go about dying it a darker color without getting it way too dark?

Kukkii-san
08-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Do a swatch test?

rhymechan
08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi!
So...After reading through the FAQ more than once, I realize that black sharpies will not actually dye a wig black...
But, will it be okay to use to dye black stripes into a white hair extension?
I'm planning on doing a Death The Kid cosplay, and my hair is already a pretty good shade of black (you'll only see it as brown in the light) so I'm getting paranoid...I already have a Kid haircut, so I really don't neeed a wig....So, will the extensions work?
Thanks in advanced:)
EDIT- Teehee, I should put some refferences...
http://media-wallpapers.theotaku.com/caption-518094-20080419154634.jpg
So, I can't find a picture of the back of his head, but the stripes wrap around the side of his head, and reach half-way in the back
http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Accessories/HairAccessories/White-Hair-Extensions-2-Pack-262343.jsp
Here are the extensions I plan on using (since they are cheap, and I'll be needing a lot to wrap around half my head)

Ayekasong
09-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Do the wigs that you buy from the ebay china sellers tend to hold dye well? I am looking at some bright purple wigs that I'd like to dye a darker shade of purple, but I'm wondering if those work the same way that the ones from CosWorx do. The specific wigs I'm looking at are made of Kanekalon fiber.

I'd rather just buy the right wig color from Cosworx, but since it seems like a restock isn't coming soon... gotta look at other options.

Taquito
09-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't really have the patients to look through all of the posts on here so I'm just going to ask.

I'm trying to achieve a color as close to this as possible: http://img3.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire2/1f711ca50eecff174755f3281efa94141228260657_full.jp g

Its a very dark, grayish blue so I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about this...

Would it be best to get a gray, light blue, or white wig to start off with?
When i dye it, should I use just plain dark blue or should I add in some black to the mix, too?

Kukkii-san
09-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Either (silvery) white or light blue would work, but I'd use a white wig if you want it to be a really greyish, washed-out dark blue. The standard light blue is a very bright, turquoise color which would shine through the dark blue dye.

Use a very, very, very dark blue with (up to 50%) dark grey, but do a swatch test to determine the best mix ratio.

Mystiqe
09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Greetings Cosplay.com!

I tried to dye a long green wig, partially black, using the harvesting and spray bottle technique with dying. But http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs144.snc1/5333_138114286116_645091116_3668936_3091251_n.jpg As you can see here, that was quite in effective :C Not only did it NOT come out black, it rubbed off on me, causing my back, and anything that touched the wig, to have black residue, when I washed it out a few times.

And it shouldn't have anything to do with how many sharpies that I used, because I used 30 sharpies. :C I'm thinking of washing it out completely, and had sharpie-ing it out. Would anyone have any ideas that might help me? Or any other different ways to dye?

Zillar
09-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Would it be possible to dye a 613 wig a lighter/medium shade of gray?
Would it be better to use slate grey or would silver work (I know you can't dye silver, but I'm assuming that means it would just turn out gray)

I would have just bought a grey/silver wig but they were out of stock =w=

Kukkii-san
09-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Grey on 613 will give you a dirty blonde / brown color, you'd be better off with a white base wig :(

Zillar
09-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Oh boo D:
Good thing I asked before trying.
Oh well, luckily with this costume it isn't essential it be that color.

I'll just have to wait until the next restock and buy the right color.

Braithcakes
09-28-2009, 04:09 PM
I got a light blue-ish gray wig, is it possible for me to tint it with sharpies to make it a little more gray?

and If I dye my wig...do I wash it afterwards, and if I do, will the wig's style(cut style...not product style) still look the same? like my bangs and stuff?

nameless14
10-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Thank you this is so helpful!

atemugid
10-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Thank you for your information and soon reply to my question. :crest:

chloeandthehawk
10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a super icy light blonde wig that is REALLY cheap, plastic, bought at a rite aid, and I want to color it to a light orange with the sharpie method if it's possible- due to the cheap plastic, do you think it would still work? Thanks in advance (:

Viveeh
10-11-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm going to hand sharpie dye a wig someday soon... But as I'm pretty sure I can't find any sharpies in this town, I'll go look for them somewhere else. So I'd like to know how many pens will I need to dye a chin-lenght, pretty thick wig dark brown?

Kukkii-san
10-11-2009, 02:28 PM
The "how much dye" question is addressed in the first two posts^^

Azzie
10-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm hand dying my wig with marigold sharpies, and so far, it's looking gorgeous. Unfortunately they seem to be really hard to get hold of, the three I have I had to purchase in a bulk set with several other sharpies that I don't really need. I definitely need more, but no-where seems to sell the marigold colour on it's own; but they seem to do for every other colour.

Does anyone know where I can buy them separately? I love sharpies, but I don't want to end up with another 21 colours I don't need just for the three I do. Thanks for any help.

Viveeh
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
The "how much dye" question is addressed in the first two posts^^

I've taken a look at them but I don't really understand how many sharpies is 8oz. Sorry. ><

Azzie
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I've taken a look at them but I don't really understand how many sharpies is 8oz. Sorry. ><

It means for every 8oz of alcohol you use. Are you hand colouring with sharpies?

Viveeh
10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
It means for every 8oz of alcohol you use. Are you hand colouring with sharpies?

Yes, I'm going to hand dye the wig.

Azzie
10-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes, I'm going to hand dye the wig.

That's what I'm doing :) Well I've used around one and three quarters of a sharpie so far, and I've managed to colour the top, bangs, and a few locks either side of my fairly thick, shoulder length wig. I'm estimating it's going to take anywhere from six - eight to do my wig completely.

chloeandthehawk
10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm hand dying my wig with marigold sharpies, and so far, it's looking gorgeous. Unfortunately they seem to be really hard to get hold of, the three I have I had to purchase in a bulk set with several other sharpies that I don't really need. I definitely need more, but no-where seems to sell the marigold colour on it's own; but they seem to do for every other colour.

Does anyone know where I can buy them separately? I love sharpies, but I don't want to end up with another 21 colours I don't need just for the three I do. Thanks for any help.

quite honestly I'd check ebay.

And I hate to be a reposter, but really, does ANYONE want to answer my question on if it works on cheap halloween store bought wigs?

Azzie
10-13-2009, 03:51 PM
quite honestly I'd check ebay.

And I hate to be a reposter, but really, does ANYONE want to answer my question on if it works on cheap halloween store bought wigs?

That's where I got my bulk pack from, unfortunately no-one seems to sell Marigold sharpies on their own. I'm barely exaggerating when I say that I've seen listings for every other colour apart from Marigold in singles. As it stands, the only want to get them is by buying the rest of the pack, leaving me with sharpies I don't really need.

As for your question, I wouldn't have thought it would work as the material to make the cheaper wigs wouldn't hold the sharpie as well. Your best bet is to colour in a tiny piece at the end and see how that holds up.

chloeandthehawk
10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
alright- I need to get marigold sharpies too, ahahaha.
My wig is perfect. crappy quality. but perfect.
and.
well
:/ needs to be a nice golden yellowy color.

Azzie
10-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Good luck! :toothy: It gives a really gorgeous colour, but they seem to be as rare as gold dust. I'll let you know if I find anywhere they sells them single/in bulk.

That said, another question. I've coloured the bangs, top, and sides of the wig in with sharpie, all that's left is the long hair at the back. Would it be possible to spray/dip dye that part, and have it looking the same as the rest?

Viveeh
10-14-2009, 02:54 PM
That's what I'm doing :) Well I've used around one and three quarters of a sharpie so far, and I've managed to colour the top, bangs, and a few locks either side of my fairly thick, shoulder length wig. I'm estimating it's going to take anywhere from six - eight to do my wig completely.

Hmm, ok. So do you think 10 sharpies would be enough? I don't want to buy too little... XD

JiseiHakushaku
10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for posting! It was very helpful :)

Azzie
10-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Hmm, ok. So do you think 10 sharpies would be enough? I don't want to buy too little... XD

I'd say that would be more than enough! But it's always good to have a couple extra to touch up, now my wig is drying out, I can see areas I've missed and will need to touch up. In this case, it's definitely better to have too many than too few.

Viveeh
10-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I'd say that would be more than enough! But it's always good to have a couple extra to touch up, now my wig is drying out, I can see areas I've missed and will need to touch up. In this case, it's definitely better to have too many than too few.

K. :D Thanks for the help.

Azzie
10-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm around halfway through doing my wig (who am I kidding, I wish I were half way!) which is hand dying with marigold sharpies. Go to http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/HikariAzure/DSCF2829.jpg & http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/HikariAzure/DSCF2826.jpg to see! Sorry the lighting is incredibly poor. You can see the original colour at the bottom, it's a little clearer in the first picture.

yushuei
10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
If you were to dye a wig dark grey, would you just use black or mix it with some white>

DemonicxTears
11-17-2009, 10:16 PM
What is the best way to get a true black color using this method?

pakal
11-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd like to thank you! If I hadn't read what you wrote, I think I'd have used hair dye. At first, I wanted to use ink, but after thinking I thought it wouldn't stay... Thank god I found that forum! :P

Kiarrens
12-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Hey guys, was searching around for Marigold sharpies (like many others in this thread, apparently) and I found this site.
http://www.montgomerypens.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=9397

You'll have to buy a twelve-pack but it is 12 MARIGOLD and not 12 ASSORTED COLORS. They only come in the twin tip variety, apparantly, but still much better than buying a bunch of assorted packs.

*edit* lol. And it seems there's a $25 limit to checkout.

Yaexrae
12-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Just a side note about sharpie dyeing - I was able to significantly darken some 100% polyester fabric to the color I wanted using Sharpie ink chambers and 70% isopropyl alcohol. (It was for my Lust dress, since every hunter green fabric I could find was still too light! Here (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2378539/)'s a photo of the final color.) I had to scale everything up, but the ingredients were essentially the same. 30-something sharpies and 64 oz. of alcohol were sacrificed for this project, but I still have a lot of the dye mixture in case I need to remake parts of the dress.

The color stays pretty well, although I have had some of the black ink transfer onto my skin while I was wearing the dress. It didn't seem to affect the color on the top of the fabric though, and whatever ended up on my skin was easily washed off in the shower.

Just thought I'd let people know - you can dye polyester with sharpies! ^^

Lydialulu
12-23-2009, 11:16 AM
in here, you mentioned how wigs that are precurled and such, aren't the best for dyeing, then would i be better off buying a straight white wig that is heat resistant and curling it myself once everything is dyed and done?

ShinobiXikyu
12-26-2009, 11:18 PM
in here, you mentioned how wigs that are precurled and such, aren't the best for dyeing, then would i be better off buying a straight white wig that is heat resistant and curling it myself once everything is dyed and done?

Heat resistant straight wigs usually WON'T curl well for you; curling and straightening works by heat.

Raven382
01-14-2010, 12:57 AM
I have a question, Can you dye a light blond wig a more golden blond(or just a darker blond) using sharpies?

I am wanting to know if its possible to dye this wig a darker/golden blond http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2186414/

Kukkii-san
01-14-2010, 02:58 AM
It's pretty light (looks like 22?) so this shouldn't be a problem.

Raven382
01-14-2010, 03:31 PM
It's pretty light (looks like 22?) so this shouldn't be a problem.

Ah okay, also another question. which color sharpie would work best to get it to a darker shade?

XmorikoXkilokoX
02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't know if this has already been asked (if it has, sorry!) but would a different brand of permanent markers work for this method?
I found two markers in almost the perfect shades blue for a wig I plan on dying. Only problem is they are Bic markers, and as this is a sharpie dying method, I'm not sure how well it will work, if at all.
It's going to be a while until I get the wig, so I just wanted to know my options. I'd really rather not have to buy a huge pack of sharpies just for one of them. And ordering them doesn't seem so great to me...I'd really like to see the color in real life before buying it.

So, to make a long story short, would a different brand of permanent markers work for this method?

Myaco
02-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks this is very helpful!!

oslapedo
03-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Is it possible to UNdye a wig that's had this method used on it? I dumbly tried to black sharpie my old orange wig and since then I've bought two other black wigs so it's kind of like, durp. If it's possible to remove the color that'd be awesome ~

Edit - I just read that 90% alcohol will remove sharpie dye, I'll test it out tomorrow.~

lestats_violin
03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I have a similar question to this last one... is it possible to get sharpie ink off of clothing with this method? or do you risk taking the colour out of the material... I got red sharpie stains on a light blue linen shirt from a costume, I'm just wondering if I'm stuck with the pinkish smears or if theres a way to get it out...?