PDA

View Full Version : Vyse's Cutlasses (Skies of Arcadia)

PhenixMirage
09-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Any clue on how to get that semi-transparent look on the blades?
I was thinking maybe fiberglass, but 1) is it durable enough for a thin swordblade? 2) can you dye fiberglass? (for the aqua color) and 3) how am I going to attach it to the hilt?

While we're at it, any advice on the hilt construction? :thumbsup:

If you need a pic, look here: http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/eternal-arcadia/art-01vyse.jpg

Nietsche
09-18-2002, 01:43 PM
What you want to do is what I've been trying to get done for ages....the actual blade of the cutlass is best made from transparent blue perspex which is available at home depots although it might not be blue. I dunna if fibreglass is trasparent when you set it....
I have such material but no way of efficiently cutting it into a nice blade shape!

The hilt is up to you, fibreglass, balsa or foamcore.

Rosiel
09-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Vyse? VYSE? When will you be wearing that costume?
I always wanted to take photos with a Vyse... I could bring my Silver Eclipse sword for a duel! ^_____^

(My Ramirez costume (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=4323) which I really want to wear again!)

PhenixMirage
09-18-2002, 03:03 PM
I'll be struting my pirate stuff around Anime Central in Chicago. :skidude2:

If you can make it, I'd love to have a Vyse vs Ramirez duel. ^_^

(Nicely done Ramirez costume too.:))

Rosiel
09-18-2002, 03:07 PM
> I'll be struting my pirate stuff around Anime Central in Chicago.

Oh, no, I'm not planning on attending that convention. What a disappointment!

> (Nicely done Ramirez costume too.)

Thanks. ^____^ I was surprised by the sheer amount of people who recognized my costume, and he's not even part of the popular main trio. So prepare yourself to meet a lot of enthusiastic gamers!

Celine
09-18-2002, 05:33 PM
Whee! Another SoA cosplayer~!!!! YES!!!! ^_____^

I thought about fiberglass as well. I think it's sturdy enough to make a small blade out of. They sell sheets of it here which are covered in transparent blue stuff (think, Reynolds plastic wrap). I suppose if you bought that, you wouldn't have to worry about the color. Good luck!

makio
09-19-2002, 04:34 AM
Much like some of the other users on this particular MB topic, I'm thrilled to see another SoA cosplayer (especially with the new SoA Gamecube version coming out) around. I was unfortunately limited on my ability to attend more conventions, especially AX, this year... perhaps if a set convention to meet at was established, you'll have me as Gilder for your group picture! :D

As FYI, I *will* be at AWA-8 (due to participation in FF Ball as Raijin) and I'm shooting to attend Nekocon as well. However, if there's an event next year you want to meet at, let me know!

PhenixMirage
09-19-2002, 10:04 AM
I'm gonna have to buy a gamecube now, with that new release of SoA ^^ (Curse them for canceling the PS2 version! :p )

You think you're limited? The only con I'm able to attend is ACen. It's the curse of the poor college student - one con per year. :thumbsup: If you (or any other SoA cosplayers) could make it that'd be GREAT. If not... well, I'll doubtless be reprising my costume at some point so maybe we'll get a Skies group together some other time. (Being a pirate is too much fun to do just once. :D )

Rosiel
09-19-2002, 10:15 AM
> I'm shooting to attend Nekocon as well.

I'll be at Nekocon... I could probably bring Ramirez to wear around for a day... I love that costume so much! =)

Celine
09-19-2002, 10:35 AM
Yeah, all the SoA cosplayers really need to meet up together at some time. I don't think anyone has ever managed more than three at once. ^^ With the number of Vyses that I've seen before, it's very sad that Rosiel has never found one at a convention. Hmm... maybe all the Vyse cosplayers should get together somewhere and gang up on her. XD

you'll have me as Gilder for your group picture! ...Wait, a Gilder...? *stalks*

Rosiel
09-19-2002, 11:06 AM
> Yeah, all the SoA cosplayers really need to meet up together at some time.

My goal is to get everyone to stand just like in the game and take a "boss fight" picture. LOL. That's not going to happen, obviously.

> maybe all the Vyse cosplayers should get together somewhere and gang up on her.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I'm sure Ramirez would be flattered to get so much attention but... *tiptoes out with sword under the arm, forgetting that said tip-toe are plated metal* *CLANG* *CLANG* *CLANG*

> ...Wait, a Gilder...? *stalks*

I want a Galcian! LOL

.Hacker
09-19-2002, 11:09 AM
I wanna retire that Vyse costume now!
Next SoA character will either be...Hans or Lawrence (or maybe even Domingo but hmm...)
For some reason I'd like to try making Enrique too just so that a full cast of main characters can b done!

BTW..this is Nietsche...i just forgot to log in on my own name!

Rosiel
09-19-2002, 11:15 AM
> For some reason I'd like to try making Enrique too just so that a full cast of main characters can b done!

Make an Enrique... *________* I love Enrique...
Although your complexion is too dark for him, you'd need lots of stage makeup.

Nicole would make such a good Enrique... I wonder if I could talk her into it...

.Hacker
09-19-2002, 11:21 AM
My complexion is too dark?
Most people think I am way too pale for a chinese person...

Celine
09-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Do Domingo!!!! EEEEE!!!! I love Domingo and his weird hair. ^_^ I heard that Sari (my Aika) was thinking about doing Lawrence.... and wasn't Mappy talking at some point about doing Hans? I can't remember, but someone was. Enrique is annoying, don't do him! *hides from Rosiel*

Yargh, this thread reminds me that I need to start on my next SoA cosplay. ^^ meep.

Rosiel
09-19-2002, 11:24 AM
> Most people think I am way too pale for a chinese person...

But Enrique is platinum blonce with whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite skin.
You may be pale for a Chinese person, but he is pale for a Caucasian. ^___^

.Hacker
09-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Let's not deviate from the thread...if we wanna discuss more 'who' than 'how' then let's all make a new thread in game costumes! andi think Mappy wanted to make the little kid whose name escapes me at the moment...

Actually now that i look at the thread again...i see that this thread can deviate so dun worry about a new thread

Rosiel
09-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Deviating from the original thread is half the fun though. ^___^

Celine
09-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Dude, read just about any decent length topic anywhere on this forum. No one ever stays on topic for that long- some other subject of interest inevitably comes up and everyone moves on to talk about that. Plus, the title does say "Skies of Arcadia" in it.

Originally posted by .Hacker
andi think Mappy wanted to make the little kid whose name escapes me at the moment...

Pinto, the fat freaky thing! XD One of my other friends joked about doing that costume, too.

makio
09-20-2002, 03:47 AM
Though I hadn't put much more than 'thought' into the notion, after putting finishing touches on my Gilder costume, I want to cosplay Dyne next. :) Problem is finding a decent picture of him. As for the cutlasses, if 'funding' for the Vyse costume runs a little dry - you might want to try checking a toystore for a similar sword. Then remove the blade and use a clear plastic pane from a hardware store...of course, if you want it different colours as in the game, you could put a layer of tint-plastic used in tinting car windows from an auto parts & supply store. I'd estimate the cost of the sword being no more than $25 doing it this way.

PhenixMirage
09-20-2002, 04:54 PM
Good luck with the Dyne costume. Vyse's dad is darn cool. ^_^

*minor spoiler*
I was pretty worried Dyne would get killed during the Valua rescue mission. The hero's parents have a statistically low survival rate in RPGs. :p
*end spoiler*

If you need pics, I have one. Itís pretty small though, and not full-body. (I wish there was a SoA artbook!)

If I run low on time and/or money, Iíll definitely remember your suggestion. :) (Iíve seen some swords at Dalas & Co. that could work for it.) Though my Ďinner perfectionistí wonít be satisfied until I have a costume that looks like it stepped off the set of SoA: The Movie. :thumbsup: I donít expect *quite* that much, though I'll try anyway. ^-^
That perspex stuff Nietsche mentioned sounds nice, though Iím not sure how Iíd go about cutting it.

Nietsche
09-20-2002, 04:57 PM
There exists a sort of artbook...it came with limited edition versions of SoA

If ya need more help with Cutlass i shall give ya any info that i discover! I am trying to use my dremel tool to cut the blade from the perspex!

Celine
09-20-2002, 05:01 PM
Dyne? Oh, coolness! There is, actually, a little SoA artbook. It comes with the special limited edition SoA box in Japan. Occasionally, people sell the set on ebay (as seen here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=715602921 ), but if you can find it somewhere else, it's a cool thing to own. I got all of it for about $35... the artbook is big-size, and has giant pics of most of the characters (all main characters and generals, and even some crewmembers... and of course, Clara!). There's a full-body pic of Dyne. I could scan it if you really want it. ^_^

Rosiel
09-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Let me guess, no giant pic of Ramirez, right?
Villains are so unloved...

I talked to Mappy tonight and he remembered his idea to be seasick Enrique! LOL. That would rock!

Celine
09-21-2002, 02:49 AM
Errr... Rosiel, Ramirez *is*one of the main characters, of course they included him... and all the generals are villains. There's artwork of all them all over the place. ^^

makio
09-21-2002, 03:04 AM
Yes! :D Please, please, pleaaaaase scan a picture of Dyne for me! As for the auction, I hope I catch one (and win) either there or possibly at a convention. Does the art book have the images of Aika's fantasy-thoughts of new found lands and whatnot? It was pretty hilarious viewing some of them in the game. I hope SoALegends includes some more humor as well as characters...the game has to be one of the more entertaining RPGs I've played!

Oh, about the cutlass --- I was told that when using that window-tint clinging wrap, to try not to apply in an area already painted or possibly in a room where lint's abundant (i.e., carpeted areas).

Rosiel
09-21-2002, 08:31 AM
> Rosiel, Ramirez *is*one of the main characters, of course they included him...

Waaaaaaaaah can I have a scan if I look really really cute and puppydogish?

Although I'll probably DIE when I see all the errors I made from making my outfit from screen grabs and a postage stamp sized art scan. ^___^

Celine
09-21-2002, 12:51 PM
The artbook has... about 40 pages of big honking pics of characters with blurbs about them and their ships (as appropriate). It has memorable quotes and stats (age, height, birthday, etc) for all the major characters. Then it has about 10 pages of b&w character sketches. Nope, none of Aika's silly thoughts, though. Then the last couple pages are creator comments with some small illustrations (and the cutest pic EVER of young Fina & Ramirez). I really doubt you'd ever find it at a convention, because it's not sold individually, and import DC games are not common.

...going off a little more about merchandise... There are a couple of guidebooks for the game, one of which has pics of all the crewmembers. These aren't really large, but I still think it's cool that you can find them if wanted. I dunno, I use the book now that I've completed the game to find all the Discoveries I missed before. ^_^

OK, I will ask around and find someone's scanner to borrow and scan those for you soon!

PhenixMirage
09-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Send me pics too once you get them scanned, thanks&please. :) I'm gonna try & convince my friends to do a SoA group with me at Acen2k4, and pics always help. (Probably getting ahead of myself a bit there, but... ^^) Of course, Vyse pics are appriciated too. :D

Nietsche, let me know how you do with the cutlass cutting. ^_^

Rosiel
09-26-2002, 10:01 AM
> and the cutest pic EVER of young Fina & Ramirez

*puppy dog eyes*

HuongStar
09-26-2002, 11:52 AM
Wow...I can't believe you got that book for $35. I saw it the other day on eBay for around $75 but I couldn't get it! I wanted to make Belleza (looks similar to the character that Rosiel made but mine would like crap compared to her Ramirez) or Aika.

Rosiel
09-26-2002, 12:37 PM
> I wanted to make Belleza (looks similar to the character that Rosiel made but mine would like crap compared to her Ramirez) or Aika.

Oh you should cosplay with us as Skies of Arcadia! Belleza is such an easy costume, I made my friend's in two days. I'm sure yours would look even better as it would not be rushed (and finished at 2am the day of the convention).

Too bad you live in TX, I would have offered to lend you a hand. ;____;

Nietsche
09-26-2002, 12:48 PM
I thought about it being cool if like all the crew member cosplayers (Lawrence, Domingo, Hans, Pinta, Belle etc.) should be strewn around the convention for a casual Vyse group to ask to join the crew..haha! That'd be fun...but I've always wanetd to do a battle scene with SoA or Grandia but there were never enough characters around...ah well...I should csplay bad guys a bit too...widen my scope....

Rosiel
09-26-2002, 12:56 PM
> to do a battle scene with SoA or Grandia but there were never enough characters around...ah well...I should csplay bad guys a bit too...

I've always wanted to have enough player characters to stage the last battle against Ramirez. But, alas, no such luck!

I remember trying to get my Suikoden group to stage a battle vs. Culgan and Seed but the pictures came out badly. It would have needed someone standing higher up to take the picture and get the correct look.

Ah maybe one day! And then I will try and do Seed's battle stance a little better. I had Ramirez's down pat just in case, but never needed to use it. ^___^

> I should csplay bad guys a bit too

If you need bad guys for a cosplay, shoot me a line. (especially if said character has white hair LOL) I love to cosplay villains.

I still want to do Magic Emperor Ghaleon... >__> I wish I had gotten the info of that great Althena at Otakon because I doubt I will /ever/ be able to convince /anyone/ to wear that for me. LOL

Celine
09-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Belleza!!! Whoo. She has an awesome design. You could probably do a great job on it, too. If you decide you are going to do it, let me know, because I'm always up for more Arcadia cosplay. XD I WANT TO DO ALFONSO!! ^^ argh. But I dunno how to make that big shoulder thingamajig he has.

Rosiel, you are crazy! Two days??? That costume was amazing! How could it be easy...??? I wish I could steal all your skills.

Rosiel
09-30-2002, 10:00 AM
> Rosiel, you are crazy! Two days??? That costume was amazing! How could it be easy...??? I wish I could steal all your skills.

BELLEZA took two days. (it's pretty simple when you break it down) Ramirez took forever and two days. LOL

> I WANT TO DO ALFONSO!!

I want you to do Alfonso!

And I want a Galcian. >__>

Nuku15
05-21-2013, 05:30 AM
I love Skies of Arcadia ^^