PDA

View Full Version : Favorite manga, anyone?

Demented Otaku
09-18-2002, 01:33 PM
I was just wondering what manga other otakus like myself are reading when they're not watching anime, working on costumes, etc. My favorites include: Akira, Blade of the Immortal, and Striker ( Spriggan ).

Rosiel
09-18-2002, 01:37 PM
*looks to the left at the nickname and picture*

For eye-candy and plotholes, I love to go back to my Angel Sanctuary manga over and over again. ^__^

I religiously follow X, hitting my head against the wall each month as the plot gets more and more ridiculous.

As far as story... I'm reading Fruits Basket right now, and I love it.
But my favorite manga currently is HIKARU NO GO! Sure it's about a boy playing to learn Go but the characterization and way the story is weaved together is simply wonderful. I'm hooked.

I tried Saiyuki, but I keep on being bored by the story...

Nietsche
09-18-2002, 01:43 PM
Sakuratetsu Taiwahen....it's like absolutely weird with invasions oing on all over the place....I like what I read of the Houshin engi manga too

Lovelyangel_81
09-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Revolutionary Girl Utena and Fushigi Yuugi are my favorites!

Demented Otaku
09-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Hmm, interesting choices. I haven't read the Angel Santuary manga, I've heard positive things about it but the anime just wasn't my cup of tea. I haven't even heard of the ones Nietsche said, I'll have to check them out. The Fushigi Yuugi manga and many other titles have been on my list for awhile, but they're put on hold since I need to finish my BotI collection. I highly recommend it for it's art style and storyline, as well as the most intriguing characters I've seen in awhile. It's a shame that none of Samura-San's other works aren't published in America.

khamryn
09-18-2002, 02:45 PM
X is my favourite.. with Ceres following at the moment... though I like AS too... ^_^

Rosiel
09-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Clamp is taking two months off of X...
So no installment in Asuka for a while. *dies*

(X is worse than crack)

aeva
09-18-2002, 02:56 PM
I read Ranma and InuYasha religeously.... I'm hooked on Marmalade Boy, but my all-time favorite manga is Gravitation. ^_________^ I own almost all of the volumes, even though I don't understand a word ^^;;;; I just get the translations... gee golly goodness, I love it. ::melts into happy Aeva goo::

KuroBara
09-18-2002, 04:11 PM
>Revolutionary Girl Utena and Fushigi Yuugi are my favorites!

I prefer the Utena anime over the manga, but I've only read the first graphic novel. FY is pretty good too, if a little slow-moving. But I still love it. I would love to read Angel Sanctuary, but I need a translation, so I'll wait.

Currently, my favorite is Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss. It's about a studious girl who gets thrown into the world of fashion & modeling. I love all the characters, the art style, story, everything!

Chosuke
09-18-2002, 04:30 PM
I Love reading Prince of tennis,genso maden saiyuki and Three boy's stories ^^

DJ(SiC)ness
09-18-2002, 05:24 PM
WHAT!!! how could clamp do that to us!!

mine is X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Gotta love those pointless killing and kamui being thrown around like a rag doll. :D

Tokyo babylon is pretty F@cked up but funny

Shinji_Ikari
09-18-2002, 07:20 PM
well....i like akira alot and striker is pretty good but the evangelion manga is better then allof the above...this is just my perspective sooo......

Karasu
09-18-2002, 10:03 PM
My favorites so far are Inu-Yasha, X, and Angel Sanctuary. Inu-Yasha is hilarious! "Feh!" He is supposed to say f*ck a lot, but naturally they changed it. :hafha: Jerks. The art in X and Angel Sanctuary is absolutely amazing! I love it!!

Mei Lan Chang
09-18-2002, 10:15 PM
*looks around and all the manga chaos*
Derrr.....I think I'll just say Ranma 1/2 even though I know Mars, GTO, Peach Girl, and such are way up there too. Viz sure is being stingy with Ranma 1/2 though...letting one novel out like...every other year it seems....*mumble mumble*....

Shadow Lady
09-18-2002, 11:36 PM
My current favs are Inu Yasha, The Big O, Shin Tenchi Muyo, Trigun, Master of Mosquiton, and Chobits.
I've just started up the Maho Tsukai Tai series. Funny stuff. I'm reading it right now.:D

Tenshi
09-18-2002, 11:48 PM
I'm a bigger fan of manga than anime ^^;;. I just can't stand to sit in front of a TV for long. Anyways, my favorite manga of all time is definately Clover by CLAMP. It's just so weird *_*. Chobits is also addicting me. Of course, I love Pretear (:P), and Planet Ladder is also pretty interesting.

Two years ago, I would go to Border's and pray that I would find a few volumes of manga that wasn't Pokemon. Now, I can't decide what to get! They have two entire bookshelves full of stuff ::dies::

Mara
09-19-2002, 01:30 AM
I'm crazy about Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori (also known as Anatolia Story) by Shinohara Chie. The characters and the style are so exotic. Lately I've also been following Ultra Maniac by Yoshizumi Wataru and Shiina Ayumi's work with Penguin Brothers, and now her new story, Dice. Any other readers of Ribon here?

-Mara

Foxwolfe
09-19-2002, 04:45 AM
Ranma is my original fav, but at the moment Im currently hooked on GTO, Angelic Layer, and Chobits. Initial D is one of my other current obssesions but with what theyre doing to the book as far as changes and overall lengthy releases and delays, I dont find myself thinking of it to often, although I still have the calender marked for the 10th when it comes out late.

Although the one that right now has me counting the days each month till the next one comes out is Love Hina, I just cant get enough of it. After the last one here its now 3 times that Keitaro and Naru have almost kissed (Im not counting the teeth clashing) and its driving me crazy. I love the characters and I always get countless laughs from each book, I just cant get enough!

Michi
09-19-2002, 07:39 AM
MANGA. YAY. I lost interest in anime for a while and manga has become special to me. ^^

My favorites are....

Shaman King -- I love this to the point when I saw the anime, I was very annoyed at all the changes. ^_^; I was reading this as scanlations online, but now that it's being released here and I had some money available, I bought volumes 1-2. I plan to buy the rest of the series eventually. Now that I'm getting a job, well, BWAHAHAHA.

X -- I've been slowly collecting all of it since 2000. I'm up to volume 15. I'm GLAD that CLAMP is taking a break, dammit, gives me time to catch up!! I want 17 before they finish it. ;_;

Hikaru no Go -- This manga is my new crack. 'Nuff said.

Naruto -- So awesome. Gotta start buying this, too.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena -- I like both the anime and manga. The manga isn't quite so messed up; it doesn't have any filler episodes so it has a straight forward plot. I like it. I have it all, plus the movie manga. XD

Super Doll Liccachan -- My favorite for a while. The anime was really bad, the manga is sweet, short, and made me nearly cry at the end. ^_^; The designs are beautiful, too. It's drawn by the author of Tokyo Mew Mew (which I started collecting the manga of JUST because it's Ikumi Mia's work..)

FAKE -- I saw the anime... and needed to see what else I was missing. I adore it. I want it all. I only have 1-3. *cry* Dee is my heroooo.

Chobits -- Only read the first volume, but I intend to get more. Argh I need money. But Chii just totally owns my heart. I've yet to see the anime.

Full Moon wo Sagashite -- Checked out the first chapter online. It's by the author of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, but I like it more. *blink* I intend to buy volume one as soon as I find it.

Mint na Bokura -- SO CUTE. I've been meaning to find it at Kinokuniya sometime... Next time. Yup.

Evangelion -- Admittedly, I'd rather watch the anime than try and follow the manga. I only own volume four (Asuka's first appearance)... But god, I LOVE Sadamoto Yoshiyuki's art. I would die for his artbook. Someday I will own it. Yes. *stares at future first paycheck*

Violinist of Hameln -- I read it when I need a pick-me-up. It's so funny. Another one I sadly only read online, but I won't be able to buy it til after I get some more Shaman King, Naruto, Chobits, and Full Moon wo Sagashite. :P Japantown always has it in stock, though.

GALS! -- Just started reading it today. It's SO cute. Totally not my thing, which is why it's fun to read. Heheh. Gonna pick it up too.

...umm I think that's it. I tried to keep it down to a small number. ^_^; I'm sure once volume one comes in the mail, Azumanga Daioh will be added to the list.

Tenshisama
09-19-2002, 09:31 PM
I read too much too -_-

My alltime favorite is Kare Made Rabu KM, which runs in Margaret (like Hana Yori Dango). I love it I love it I love it *^_^* It's just a simple sorta love story, no fancy magic, no stunning locations... ^_^

I also love all that CLAMP stuff... X, Suki Dakara Suki, Chobits, etc etc I am really enjoying Legal (Lawful?) Drug too. The first volume confused me but the second made a lot more sense. Plus I loved the part with the chocolate *giggles*

I collect a lot more series... but there are too many to count anymore -_- but anyhoo, if you want a cute love story that's not magical or anything, try KareRabu. ^_^

Michi
09-21-2002, 07:57 AM
*edits her list to add more* Bwahahahahahaha.