PDA

View Full Version : more curling tips please!

carly579
07-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Okay so last night I spent all night on my mihoshi wig. It turned out...okay I guess. It was my first time curling and it didn't turn out at all like the pics I've seen. Maybe cause my wig was so long (about to my tailbone) but it only half curled. i kind had to fry it. After the hair dryer method didn't work I rerolled it and...stuck it in the oven on 170 for 2 minutes! It kinda curlled after that. Also how do you use caulking? I used to hold the bangs up, but it looks a little iky! ^_^ fortuntaly I'm wearing a hat that covers up the gross parts.

makonurikoryoko
07-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Im in nee dfor curling tips too! ^^;;; anyone have any?
should I put mine in teh oven? o.O seems a bit rash.... I need to just curl the ends

erikadoor
07-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Erika here.

Actually, I always found the best way to curl a wig that will allow you to remove the curls later [if you wish] is just to use your curling iron...however, make a fabric cover for it so the metal doesn't directly touch the hair. Also, use it at a very low setting. It make take a little while for the curl to set, but you get the curl you want and won't destroy the wig.

Erika Door
http://www.erikadoor.com

megumibish
07-03-2003, 04:29 PM
I've done the blowdryer method and it worked fine for me. I used large foam rollars and I got nice loose curls. I did what www.amphigory.com said, which was to heat it and then let the hair cool to set it. Plastic must be coached into place. And letting it cool while the curlers are still in works the best. Oh and I like the suggestion about putting fabric around the hair. I've curled little extensions pieces without them on a regular curling iron and they came out fine. Just don't plan anytime soon to try to straighten it again thou' imho. It's a pain in the a$$. Or you could do this(what's done with synthetic hair for black hair styles). Put your wig on a styrofoam head and pin it into place. Put the hair into perm rods, they rock when it comes down to getting a really good curl(make sure to roll the hair tip to end otherwise you could kill the curl while taking it out), get some curler paper to help with uneven ends then immerse the wig into water around 87 degree and leave it in for like 3 minutes to 5. Then let the wig airdry with the curlers still in, until it's completely dry. This could take more than a whole day btw. Then remove the curlers. If your scared and or not sure how it will come out/needing more time to get a better curl.I suggest using a test piece from the same wig since not all wigs are made with the same type of plastics. Some react differently. Just cut a small section from one of the wefts close to the nape of the wig *or anywhere so it isn't obvious you cut out a piece* and just curl that around the curler. *Don't try to dry it quicker with a blowdryer* because it may effect the hair differently and it may give you the incorrect results. Hope this helps.

carly579
07-03-2003, 06:36 PM
I would be careful with the oven. I used a test piece to see what happened. Also after i got it out of the oven I put into the fridge to cool faster it was more like baking a cake ^_^

KaraokeKate
07-04-2003, 02:06 AM

Wigs aren't cakes. Putting one in the oven not only has a huge chance of ruining the wig, but it's a fire hazard.

Oven temperatures vary... a LOT. They also have "hot spots" where the heat is more extreme than in other locations.

Use the curler and blow-dryer method that's on Amphigory. It's the same method I use, and has been very successful in producing a wide range of curls without damaging the wigs.

BeforeCrisis
03-01-2005, 05:51 PM
What about curling tips for real hair? How do you get it to hold all day without making your hair all greasy and nasty with lots of hair spray?

lavender_mists
03-01-2005, 06:11 PM
What about curling tips for real hair? How do you get it to hold all day without making your hair all greasy and nasty with lots of hair spray?

I'm prety old fashioned when it comes to curling hair so I stick with rollers. But when you know that your hair has dried properly in the curlers, a fine mist of hair spray over them will be fine for the day as long as you don't play with them too much.

My hair is pretty dry so I tend not to use a hairdryer to completely dry the hair in curlers, but if you have one of those dryers where you can choose to have warm or cool air. Those work the best for me as the cool air sets the curl even more for me.

Ah_BeA
03-04-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure if you guys are doing it or not, but you do know that you should start with a wet wig right? o_O

also, after the hair is dried from the wet curls, let it stand alone with the curls for a couple of hours and it'd be real bouncy and curlish, but i'm not sure how long it'd remain that way though.

Sorri if i sounded like an ass? :-s not trying too- just too into finding good cheap wigs right now :s

ja ne!

-Bb

Ciarathallya
03-10-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm concerned rollers won't work for mine because I have to make uber large 5 inch flip curls. I need to figure out a way to make them hold.

CosplayerGabi
03-10-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm concerned rollers won't work for mine because I have to make uber large 5 inch flip curls. I need to figure out a way to make them hold.

Can you show us a picture?

Big curls you say? Would an empty soda can be the right diameter? Cause I can give tips on that.

Ciarathallya
03-10-2005, 11:35 AM
OMG yeah that big.

Ciarathallya
03-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Ok I found the pic of it. Well a sprite. But the are huge flip curls.

Oselle
03-10-2005, 11:57 AM
le sigh...I seem to have a wig that simply defies curling. I've tried the amphigory.com method of curlers/hot water/blowdry twice on this thing, and it simply refuses to hold the curl. It's not a super-high quality wig, but it's not terrible either (it is a medium length synthetic fibre wig). I'm open to any and all suggestions.

CosplayerGabi
03-10-2005, 01:41 PM
For the OMG big curls:

A mid back length wig. You'll have to trim it if it's longer. Longer hair = heavier which makes holding the curl harder.

Enough empty soda cans to hold the hair in the position you wish to curl it. I think about 4-5 would do.

A utility knife

Smooth bobby pins without kinks or some other way to hold the cans in the hair.

-------------
To prepare the cans cut a 1/4" slit every 2 inches about 1/2 inch from the edge of the can on each end.

This is to give the bobby pins a way to hold onto the can

Now put your wig on a wigstand and roll up equal amounts of hair on each can using the little slits to insert bobby pins into the can to hold the can in place on the hair.

Now you are going to apply even heat from a hair dryer over each part of the curl especially pay attention to the bottom of the curl because that's the spine that will hold the hair up. You will be heating up the can in this process and that will ensure that the hair on the inside of the curl will get some heat too. But be careful not to over heat.

When you are done with that leave.... go do something else...cook dinner, go sew, go for a walk... just don't touch the wig.

It needs to cool completly to hold the curl. and with the cans being warm that may take a while. If you come back and a can is still warm at all go away again.

Spray it with a bit of hold spray. Don't douse the thing.

When that dries gently take out the bobby pins and slowly slide the can out of the curl. The hair will stay in the form in which it cooled and dried.

Ciarathallya
03-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Thank you thank you thank you! I got a mid length wig from Amphigory that should work well.

Kokuu
03-10-2005, 05:23 PM
How would you go about making a wig wavy- not curly? I'm making a Sailor V costume from PGSM, and her hair is sorta wavy at the bottom. I plan on getting an enchanment wig. Would I just use larger curlers, and just brush the hair out after? My own hair doesn't curl at all, so I don't have a lot of experience with curling real hair, much less plastic.

CosplayerGabi
03-11-2005, 12:03 PM
How would you go about making a wig wavy- not curly? I'm making a Sailor V costume from PGSM, and her hair is sorta wavy at the bottom. I plan on getting an enchanment wig. Would I just use larger curlers, and just brush the hair out after? My own hair doesn't curl at all, so I don't have a lot of experience with curling real hair, much less plastic.

I wouldn't curl it and then brush it out...if you brush it out and the hair fibers that curl the same way get mixed in others that curl differently you will get frizz rather than waves.

Wigs are thin plastic so they can be trained/ coaxed into a position

To train your wig to wave you should secure it in a wave position and blow dry it till warm and it bends and leave it to cool in that position. Then you release it from it's bonds and it remembers the wave cause the plastic cooled off that way. Then you can finger comb it to break up the pattern and make it look more natural

This is what I would do in theory.
I'd find a half or whole cylinder shape and place it under the hair for an up wave. Then cover over the next part with another cylinder shape so the hair goes in. Then I would repeat this until the end of the hair. Then blow dry it till warm then leave it to cool. It should then hold the position it cooled in. Finger comb to break up the pattern.

I guess you could use soda cans with slits in them so they can hold bobby pins like in the discription above. But that may be too big a wave for Sailor V. So something with a smaller diameater should be used.

hmm... I hope that helps a little. :)

Chibi Ice Wolf
03-16-2005, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't curl it and then brush it out...if you brush it out and the hair fibers that curl the same way get mixed in others that curl differently you will get frizz rather than waves.

Well I've combed (not brushed) out curls and it gave me loose waves not frizz... I imagine if you curled ringlets, and individually combed each one out it would give you waves somewhat like V's... maybe? If it doesn't, you could always straighten and start over.

--

I need help curling a wig also... I tried the curling iron and left it for several minutes and the curl is too loose.. I tried wet hair and it just stayed straight when I pulled it out of the curler... I tried blowdrying till it was hot and letting it cool and the curl is still really loose. Grr!!

Here's what I'm trying to do: Get the extensions here (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=294759) to be as curly as the rest of the wig (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=291682) .

Anyone know the exact address of the curling tutorial on Amphigory's site? I swear it's not linked anywhere from they're main page. o.o

Ryu-Ness
03-16-2005, 02:53 PM
If you look carefully on the wig page, there are hidding links in the intro text. =3

http://www.amphigory.com/wig_how_to_curl.html

CosplayerGabi
03-16-2005, 03:00 PM
YOU are the fabulous egg toting Nanami bride! I have been happily watching your progess.

First the easiest:
http://www.amphigory.com/wig_how_to_curl.html

there is the link. It's on the main wig page in the sentence that says, "on my adventures in curling a wig, and I hope that someone...." It's the words that say "Curling a wig"

I wish I could come over and help. Wig care can be so frustrating!. I hear some people use steam to curl it. So if you have one of those fabric steamers you can try that. But seeing all you have tried all I can say is with the blowdryer method make sure you don't wrap a mound of hair on the roller. The hair on top will get all the heat and the stuff under will still be limp. So make sure it's not a thick layer on the roller.

Chibi Ice Wolf
03-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Ryu-ness: Thanks! XD

CosplayerGabi: Augh! Hover links!! That's so evil >.<

I got my extensions curled though. I used a curling iron to get a loose curl, then wrapped that around a foam curler much tighter, and blowdryed it, then let it cool of course. I think they turned out alright! I attached a photo. Now I have to do that to an ENTIRE WIG for my Doll costume. Yay!

Hey I have one of those fabric steamers!! Maybe I'll try that on some extensions or old wig or something and see what it does...

Oh yes I am the crazy egg-toting Nanami! XD I'm getting to be about done with this big project!

Mich
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Ryu-ness: Thanks! XD

CosplayerGabi: Augh! Hover links!! That's so evil >.<

I got my extensions curled though. I used a curling iron to get a loose curl, then wrapped that around a foam curler much tighter, and blowdryed it, then let it cool of course. I think they turned out alright! I attached a photo. Now I have to do that to an ENTIRE WIG for my Doll costume. Yay!

Hey I have one of those fabric steamers!! Maybe I'll try that on some extensions or old wig or something and see what it does...

Oh yes I am the crazy egg-toting Nanami! XD I'm getting to be about done with this big project!

OMG! Yeah, that came out really well...

DivineSage
03-20-2005, 12:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get a wig to curl like this
http://www.lunateia.net/justice/profiles/yurika.htm
I was thinking of getting it wet and setting it in the curls over night. Would that be enough?

Ciarathallya
03-20-2005, 05:14 AM
OMFG Your curls are even bigger than the ones I want to do. :eeek:

Ciarathallya
03-20-2005, 04:49 PM
For the OMG big curls:

A mid back length wig. You'll have to trim it if it's longer. Longer hair = heavier which makes holding the curl harder.

Enough empty soda cans to hold the hair in the position you wish to curl it. I think about 4-5 would do.

A utility knife

Smooth bobby pins without kinks or some other way to hold the cans in the hair.

-------------
To prepare the cans cut a 1/4" slit every 2 inches about 1/2 inch from the edge of the can on each end.

This is to give the bobby pins a way to hold onto the can

Now put your wig on a wigstand and roll up equal amounts of hair on each can using the little slits to insert bobby pins into the can to hold the can in place on the hair.

Now you are going to apply even heat from a hair dryer over each part of the curl especially pay attention to the bottom of the curl because that's the spine that will hold the hair up. You will be heating up the can in this process and that will ensure that the hair on the inside of the curl will get some heat too. But be careful not to over heat.

When you are done with that leave.... go do something else...cook dinner, go sew, go for a walk... just don't touch the wig.

It needs to cool completly to hold the curl. and with the cans being warm that may take a while. If you come back and a can is still warm at all go away again.

Spray it with a bit of hold spray. Don't douse the thing.

When that dries gently take out the bobby pins and slowly slide the can out of the curl. The hair will stay in the form in which it cooled and dried.
Ok. I found really uber magnetic rollers the size of soda cans (couldn't bribe my kids into drinking them for me... man they are too health conscious). I'm gonna give it a go.

Ciarathallya
03-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Someone shoot me now. I am doing something wrong. Ok I did the blow dryer on low thingy and let the wig sit alone forever and yes it did reshape it but the curl will not hold. the only reason it will stay is if I but a hair clip in place (see the pic) Once I remove it, if falls on down. I'm pretty sure it's the weight of the hair fibers that causes this. Suggestions... answers... solutions anyone?

*discouraged* *disheartened* :lost:

CosplayerGabi
03-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Thinned school glue or clear caulk should shellac that curl and tell it who is boss!

n/m I think you already found out!

bunnybeth
03-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Ok, some more big curls help needed!

http://www.bunnybeth.net/cosplay/images/rosalie01.jpg

I need huge sausage curls that go down to my shoulders and do not flatten themselves out with their own weight. I have previously made big curls using a hand steamer, drying/cooling, removing curlers, and hair spraying it. They turned out pretty well, but now a couple of months later are almost flat. The new curls I need are even bigger, so I'm concerned that it won't look as curly as it ought in the first place, much less hold for weeks. (Learned my lesson to not style the wig the week before the con.) Any tips?

Also, I know curls will shorten the wig, so I'm trying to figure out how long I need to buy in the first place. I've been looking at the 18" Lucy (http://store.cosplay.com/product.php?productid=16423&cat=302&page=1) but would it be too short?