PDA

View Full Version : FW Ink Wig Dye FAQ

Dal_Segno
07-17-2008, 06:34 AM
I’m here to round off the wig dyeing FAQ mission. The purpose of these threads is to cut down on the repetitiveness in the other threads; this will hopefully allow people to find the information quickly instead of having to clog them up. If you have a question that is not listed, ask and I will gladly answer it and put it on the FAQ.

This thread will pertain to FW Ink only! Do not ask about Sharpie dye, wig styling, weft issues, fitting problems, or anything else unless it also pertains to FW Ink dye.

I am not the creator of this method! The lovely Honey Bunny was the one that came up with this, but since she has left, I more or less am the maintainer of the thread now. I used to help her with the Arizona Cosplay Society, so I think she’d be fine with me helping. I am by no means a wig goddess [since my experience with them is actually limited compared to some of you], but I do know my FW Ink dye. ;]

There will be some cross questions from the Sharpie method FAQ, but I’m going to write most of this assuming you haven’t read that yet.

This is not a tutorial. Please read the original thread for basic instructions.

So, on with the FAQ.

Added: December 12, 2010 by Dal_Segno/Kalas

Note: We are all busy people, me not excluded as a college student. I try to drop in when I can but sometimes I loose track. If you need more immediate help and aren't getting a response from the thread, feel free to PM me. Please post in the thread first though. :]

Dal_Segno
07-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Last Updated on November 12, 2009 by Kalas

Which is better: FW Ink or Sharpies?
Neither method is “superior” to the other. Each has its own pros and cons, so please investigate thoroughly the one you believe will suit your needs best. Envel did a fine job outlining issues people have with each method, so please reference her post if you are going to start “comparing” them. [Although said issues can generally be avoided if you do the respective methods correctly.]

Recipe?
The original calls for:
8 full squeezes of ink
1 cup 70% rubbing alcohol

If you have issues with color or what ever, I personally use the more concentrated recipe of:
6 full squeezes of ink
½ a cup of 70% rubbing alcohol

Where can I get FW Ink?
I personally get mine at a local art supply store, but you can also order them off dickblick.com. Stores like Michael’s carry a pack of the primary colors, so you can mix them to get any color you want if the other two outlets are of no use to you.

Does it remove the original sheen/gloss of the wig?
This is a common complaint, so in short, yes. It will look more matte then when you dyed it, but the wig still looks glossy. [See: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1236877/ ] But, do note that many people have had no issue with it.

Can I dye a darker wig to a lighter color with FW Ink dye?
No. The most you’ll do is tint it, [I]if event that.

Dyeing a wig black?
Just buy one, it’s easier…but if that’s not an option, you can dye a wig “black”. FW Ink's appears to be pure black pigment, not a mix of dark purples and browns usually found in things like Sharpies. The trick is to dye it once, rise, and then go at it again with another dye layer.
[Thanks go to Vince Noir for testing and refining this.]

Will the dye rub off or bleed after dyeing?
If you do it correctly, no.

How many bottles of ink do I need for _____ length wig?
One bottle should be fine for any wig length. As a matter of fact, you should be able to dye several wigs with one bottle depending on the length. If you are using more then one on a wig, you are doing something wrong.

The ink doesn’t come in my exact color. Help?
Mix them. The beauty of FW Ink is that it can be very fine tuned to match exactly as you want it.

How do I make my dye lighter/darker?
You can generally use black to darken and white to lighten. I advise to use colors in the same color family for more rich colors though .

What colors should I use for ______’s wig?
[I]Please don’t ask these questions [unless it is something like having a difficulty between choosing one color over the other]. Besides the fact that I generally view these questions as lazy [you didn’t bother to look at the chart on the website or venture down to your art supply store], it’s a bit of an art. Odds are that your exact color isn’t available, so just play around with color combinations until you get the right one.

Mesh, wefts, and skin tops: will they dye?
Mesh- yes
Wefts- yes
Skin tops- tinted

Bucket versus Spray, which is better?
The bucket method [mixing a big batch of the dye and putting the wig in there to soak] takes up a lot more resources then the spray method, but theoretically takes less time. When you mix big batches like that, you are soaking the wig in the pigment [which will dye it] with a “remover” [alcohol is what will strip a dyed wig of its color]. It shouldn’t theoretically work, but people have gotten it to do so; to each his own I guess.

But if alcohol is what removes the dye, why do we use it?
In a nutshell: it dries and leaves the pigment.

Can styling products be used on the dyed wig?
Yes. Things that have alcohol in them [like hair spray] should be used carefully, since vast amounts may strip or lighten the color.

Will the ink stain my skin?
Yes [be very aware of that]. [B]But no more so then a Sharpie.

Is the Ink safe?
Beside the normal “don’t eat it or get it in your eye”, the ink will be fine. The alcohol on the other hand is very choking if you are in a room with little ventilation. I’m no wuss to fumes, but it can get pretty bad in there. :x [Working out side and up wind is best.]

Metallic ink was mentioned, how did that go?
The metallic/glittery ink in and of its self won’t change any color, but if you put it with a regular color you may get something. They over all seem to be a hit and miss, so there is no definitive answer here.

FW Ink is expensive; can I use ______’s Artist Ink?
FW Ink isn’t that expensive [especially considering that one bottle lasts more then one wig]. But if you honestly don’t want to dish out 3 more dollars, you need to consider the quality of the other inks out there. I know for fact that Higgin’s Ink does not work, but others claim that cheepo ink [used in vast amounts] can get the job done. I generally don’t advise it though.

Does this only work on white wigs?
No, as long as you’re trying to make the wig darker, it should be fine. Keep in mind that the colors are transparent, so they will tint the surface they are being put on, not re-color it.

How do I keep the color even?
If you work in layers across the wig, just keep spraying consistently.

My wig is crunchy, what gives?
I have no honest answer to this, since I’ve never had this issue before and Honey Bunny was never able to figure out why it happens to certain people.
Over all, people I’ve seen have this issue used really out of whack ratios [like 15 drops to one cup], so it is strongly advised that you stick to 8 drops or less. Also, adding more layers will potentially get it stiffer and stiffer [although that seems to be more of an issue with higher layer numbers].

Will the dye bleed/rub off?
It shouldn’t if dyed and rinsed properly.

Do I have to use “expensive” wigs to get this to work?
No. People have gotten $8 Halloween wigs to work well with FW Ink dye.

The dye won’t stay on the wig long enough to take/the dye just drips off. How can I get it to stay?
Use a hair drier to dry the ink in place after you spray, then let it set. [Keep in mind the rules for hair driers and wigs.]

Can I just put the ink straight on the wig?
No. Besides the fact that it would be very crispy and expensive [it would probably take many bottles] you would lose any sheen/gloss the wig had in the first place. Over all, just don’t do it.

Oh no, I need more of a different color in my wig! Can I just dye over what I did last?
There is no guarantee that the first color will remain consistent on the layer below with the introduction of new dye [keep in mind that the new dye will also have alcohol, a striping agent]. If you want that constant color, you need to strip the wig and re-dye it. You could just spray over the first layer if you're willing to deal with the possibility of "highlights." [Thank you Kukkii-san for the input!]

How long should the dye sit on the wig?
Until the alcohol is dry! If it is wet and you wash or rinse the wig, the ink will go down the drain with the water. If you use the hair dryer method, it shouldn't have to sit at all! [Thank you Kukkii-san for the input!]

Some of the inks I have are labeled as "Pearlescent" and "FW Pearlescent". Do these types work just as pull as the ones that are just labeled "FW"?
I don't have any personal experience with these, but logic would tell you that they will more or less act like the metallic inks mentioned earlier. Basically, don't get your hopes up, but give them a shot if you want. Somebody was able to get a bit of a sparkly effect for a short period of time! [Thank you Inverse for the question and ladylada and Taruto! for the input!]

Helpful tools and tips!
Ink Descriptions (http://www.neverbook.com/PP%20ink_colors.htm)
-Helpful for when you need to order online!
[Thank you Lucrezea for the link!]

Color charts:
1 (http://www.reuels.com/reuels/media/dr/dr029ch.gif)
2 (http://www.daler-rowney.com/sites/da...%20chart_0.pdf) *This automatically went to download on my computer, so be aware! ;]
[Thank you Lucrezea for those links!]

You can determine whether a wig takes to the dye or not by doing swatch tests on a scrap of fiber before you attempt to dye the whole thing. This will also let you determine the perfect mix ratio; a streaky color may be the result of a very weak dye that hardly shows up at all (tempting you to overapply it, thus dissolving the dye that's already in the fiber.) [Thank you Kukkii-san for the information!]

"Has anyone tried this dye on non-wig fibers? like fake fur or Fiber fill?"
I'm remaking my Tailmon, so I thought I'd try this out on the ears. It does work, but you need to be patient. Keep combing the fur so the dye gets all the way through the fibers and is even.
I do like the colour, but dunking in fabric dye is defs easier.
Thank you alacorn for the question and QuiteVile for testing this out!

Envel
07-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Awesome, awesome, and much love. I can't think of any more questions I have about FW Ink, you've done an awesome job!

virus=[1.6k]
07-21-2008, 03:26 AM
would spray rubbing alcohole on a wig ( with out any dye in it ) take away the sheen from it i need this for a white wig and i dont have time to get white ink from the net

Dal_Segno
07-22-2008, 01:18 AM
I don't believe so, but I've honestly never tried.

kenshin-chan64
07-24-2008, 01:05 AM
so sorry if this sounds too much like an individual question, but here it is.

so my understanding with this dyeing method is that it kind of tints the wig if it isnt pure white. so, if example you want to match hair that is so dark brown, that it is almost black/is always mistaken for black, could you start off with a brown wig and use black die to aquire that kind of color effect?

i could see this working with a really dark purple color too, and many other color combinations in my head. i just think it would be easier to do something like that than trying to mix the ink to get the perfect color combination.

benihime
07-24-2008, 01:11 AM

so my understanding with this dyeing method is that it kind of tints the wig if it isnt pure white. so, if example you want to match hair that is so dark brown, that it is almost black/is always mistaken for black, could you start off with a brown wig and use black die to aquire that kind of color effect?

i could see this working with a really dark purple color too, and many other color combinations in my head. i just think it would be easier to do something like that than trying to mix the ink to get the perfect color combination.

it doesn't have to be pure white
i've successfully dyed blond wigs.
you will never actually the real black. it's be a really dark grey, but if you wanted it a darker brown, perhaps it might work but when its already brown, although a really LIGHT brown might work, but a dark brown, you really won't be able to get what you're looking for, you need a lighter wig or a new wig

Dal_Segno
07-24-2008, 01:00 PM

"Tint" implies it's less potent then it is [although that's what is going on]. You will get a nice coat of color with this method, it's just that you can't expect to go backwards from the original fiber color [which is true of any dyeing method thus far, including Sharpies]. So you can go from brown to black, just not black to brown.

As long as you are trying to go darker, you will generally be fine. Paler colors give you more range, with white being a completely blank canvas [but blond is also a good starting point, since it would be the equivalent of creme or off white].

As benihime said, you can't get "black" with dyeing [which is also true with Sharpies]. You can get really, really, really close, but no cigar. [And I've never actually seen anybody try to dye a wig black this way, so it may turn out that you can, I'm just not counting on it yet.]

kenshin-chan64
07-24-2008, 02:26 PM
thank you for the input kalas and benihime, i think i understand what i am wanting to do. but to be sure let me try a diffrent color combination question for that.

say if i were to get an all out orange wig, like the party colors (dont cringe yet!). if i took some shade of brown and diluted it somewhat and sprayed, do you think the wig would come out with more of a 'natural red head' color, like auborn and the such (such method work with colored pancils on paper, i was just wondering if the same method couls be aplyed to dyes).

benihime
07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
unless you get that auburn color in the sharpie, no you can't alter the color of the wig, you can only color OVER it

kenshin-chan64
07-24-2008, 11:36 PM
unless you get that auburn color in the sharpie, no you can't alter the color of the wig, you can only color OVER it

aww poop :( that would have been awsome if it would work. thanks anyways

Dal_Segno
07-25-2008, 02:15 PM
This isn't Sharpies. :]

thank you for the input kalas and benihime, i think i understand what i am wanting to do. but to be sure let me try a diffrent color combination question for that.

say if i were to get an all out orange wig, like the party colors (dont cringe yet!). if i took some shade of brown and diluted it somewhat and sprayed, do you think the wig would come out with more of a 'natural red head' color, like auborn and the such (such method work with colored pancils on paper, i was just wondering if the same method couls be aplyed to dyes).

You very well could. It just depends on how you mix it and the base color you have. Assuming you have a pale wig, I don't think Auburn would be out of range using brown [although you may want to add a drop of red or crimson to get closer to the undertones].

Vince Noir
07-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Heads up: the FW Black ink is true black - I dyed a 613 wig to a very cool deep steel gray!

Vince Noir
07-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Here is my ex-613 wig dyed black and resulted in a steel-grey. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1632753/

benihime
07-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Here is my ex-613 wig dyed black and resulted in a steel-grey. http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1632753/

but it turned grey right, not black?
it's never a guarantee that it's going to be black, thats why it's always better to get a new wig

Vince Noir
07-26-2008, 02:50 AM
The post above the picture link is where I said it was a dark grey.

benihime
07-26-2008, 03:30 AM
apologies, i thought you were inputing that for the last conversation .sorry >.<

Cora
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Does anyone have any advice/opinions on conditioning a wig that has been dyed with FW ink? I'm working on a longer one right now, and trying to detangle it is something of a nightmare because I feel like the fibers are sticking together. So far I've been using the Motion's Oil Sheen to help, but I wasn't sure if there was a better solution.

Kiroko
08-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Does this method work well for gradient/tipping wigs?

Is it okay to just leave a bottle that has the alcohol/dye in it to use at a later time for other wigs?

:D

Lothlin
08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, it works for gradients/tipping. I did it, see ;p -> http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1296072/ . Keep the spray localized, combing it through a little doesn't hurt. I probably could have gotten more of a gradient if I had gone over the tips (not the entire thing, just the tips,) another time to get more ink on there, but that wasn't the look I was going for. Remember the ink is translucent, so if you just get the color you're going for (and don't plan for color mixing,) you might end up a few shades off - What character are you trying to do?

Saving dye works for a while too. keep it in an airtight bottle though, else it will evaporate, and you're going to have to shake it up really well before you use it again. FW ink settles more than sharpie dye does.

venusgal100
08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, on a trip to San Francisco, I was able to get a hold of some FW Ink (and my mom fell in love with Blick's Art Supplies. xD). I should be able to start dying by this weekend. I just have one question, will heat be a problem for drying and spraying? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and this weekend's projected forecast is from 104-105 F (40 C). I don't want to do it inside because I know it's going to smell horrible. So, will dying the wig and leaving it to dry in that weather affect the color? Or should I wait until fall/winter?

Lothlin
08-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Heat is good for drying (though humidity can hurt things.) It really won't hurt it, hell, it'll make it dry faster XD. I don't think FW is heat reactive, it should be fine - you could always test it on a small patch first to see.

Kiroko
08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
No specific character, just out of curiosity.

Also, is it possible to get kind of faded colors with the ink?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/deypherus/WIGS/short.jpg

the pink color is what i'm looking for. Just that grayish-faded kind of colors. I guess would adding a drop or two of black (gray?) work for that? Or does that only make a deeper pink?

Lothlin
08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
You'd be better taking a white wig and dying it up to that pink; black would make the color darker, not fade it like that, and you can't make a wig lighter. What you'd want to do is use the recipe and add white to the mix to desaturate the color a little. It should do the trick. If it came out too dark the first time, you could always use a stronger alcohol, rinse it out, and try again.

myoukin
08-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I was wondering if the FW Ink Dye Method would be able to give a one-tone wig blends. I have a spare 613 blond wig that I want to give Golden Auburn blends to. What I mean isn't those large chunky blends that resemble clip-ons on a wig but evenly spaced and separated by a small amount of strands. Is it also possible to give a pure brown wig blends with black?

As for localizing in gradient tipping, how do you localize it on spikes only on a short to medium wig? Especially when your spray bottle has a somewhat medium range in spraying.

I also discovered that using the Ship&Shape method of washing your wig also washes out most of the FW Ink dye that you put on a wig.

Yumei
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
HELP! This may have been already asked numerous times but I can't find a CLEAR answer after 3 days of searching and reading so can ANYBODY answer: I have a light blonde wig I want to dye silver/grey. Is this possible using the FW ink wig method? Has anybody done this and what were the results? What colors of ink do I need to buy to make this possible?
The character I'm cosplaying is Riku from Kingdom Hearts, but it's a halloween version. His hair is silver but I'm thinking a greyish will do since its a halloween version and I would suspect is hair would change darker as he enters to Halloween Town.
Thanks to anyone who can answer even if it'd not the answer I wanna hear!:bigtu:

Lothlin
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Maybe. It depends how light of a blonde the wig is and how dark of grey you plan on going; You won't be able to get silver, and you won't be able to get it as pale as would be accurate I don't think, but you might be able to coax the wig into some approximation. It'd just probably be a little on the dark side.

Get yourself cool grey (or silver, it probably won't make a huge difference,) and just do your best to find a mixture that covers up the blonde without being too dark.

Dal_Segno
09-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Well, on a trip to San Francisco, I was able to get a hold of some FW Ink (and my mom fell in love with Blick's Art Supplies. xD). I should be able to start dying by this weekend. I just have one question, will heat be a problem for drying and spraying? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and this weekend's projected forecast is from 104-105 F (40 C). I don't want to do it inside because I know it's going to smell horrible. So, will dying the wig and leaving it to dry in that weather affect the color? Or should I wait until fall/winter?

I, as well as Honey Bunny, live[d] in Phoenix, so no worries. If there was a heat issue, I would know by now. :]

I was wondering if the FW Ink Dye Method would be able to give a one-tone wig blends. I have a spare 613 blond wig that I want to give Golden Auburn blends to. What I mean isn't those large chunky blends that resemble clip-ons on a wig but evenly spaced and separated by a small amount of strands. Is it also possible to give a pure brown wig blends with black?

As for localizing in gradient tipping, how do you localize it on spikes only on a short to medium wig? Especially when your spray bottle has a somewhat medium range in spraying.

I also discovered that using the Ship&Shape method of washing your wig also washes out most of the FW Ink dye that you put on a wig.

-It depends on how you apply it. It's an art, so if you can localize the strands you want, it's possible.

-Stand further back and use something to prevent the spray from reaching the parts you don't want dye on.

-I've never used [or even heard of] the Ship and Shape method, so could you please elaborate? D:

And it seems that Lothlin has been doing a fine job keeping up on this thread. :]

myoukin
09-06-2008, 10:46 AM
-I've never used [or even heard of] the Ship and Shape method, so could you please elaborate? D:

I was looking for a method on how to wash off wigs with spikes, since most of mine are really spikey. So I searched and found taeliac's tutorial on washing wigs. What I liked about it is that a few spoons is enough to wash several wigs, but it also strips it of almost all the dye.

I'm not suer if you're allowed to link here but, http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Mini-Tutorial-Washing-wigs-73375067

And thanks for the advice, I'll be trying that.

Dal_Segno
09-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I was looking for a method on how to wash off wigs with spikes, since most of mine are really spikey. So I searched and found taeliac's tutorial on washing wigs. What I liked about it is that a few spoons is enough to wash several wigs, but it also strips it of almost all the dye.

I'm not suer if you're allowed to link here but, http://taeliac.deviantart.com/art/Mini-Tutorial-Washing-wigs-73375067

And thanks for the advice, I'll be trying that.

Check the box for ingredients. I have a feeling that there may be alcohol or some other harsh additive in there that's striping the dye. [Ship-Shape seems to be made for brushes and combes only, not wigs... and there is wig shampoo out there too, so it's not the only method for washing wigs.]

jennarose
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I am pretty sure this wasn't cover in the tutorial, but in my mind for some reason, I picture when using FW ink (btw, never used FW ink before), it will dye a wig that color (example, color 613, you dye it with a yellow type color with FW ink and it will turn that ink color leaving the original color dyed over.), but can you used FW to tint, or make a different shade. Example, Using the color 613, and using a yellow color and tinting it? I'm not sure if that made sense or not so forgive me for that. If I were to use this method over sharpies (I did not have a great experience when sharpie dying my first time, but I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere.), then would I just need to put less drops in to just tint a wig a bit? Unfortunately, A cosworx's exclusive comes in the color I want, but the wig I want is New Look, so, I think dying may be my only option even if I don't really want too. ^_^'

Fricku-sensei
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Is there any website where you could buy this dye? ^^

Romann
09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
The front page has an FAQ post. A site is listed in there along with other frequently asked questions.

myoukin
09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Although it sounds like a stupid question, I strongly prefer the FW method over hte Sharpies method. Is it possible to dull a wig without changing it's colors or tinting it? I've heard of a gray sharpie method but was wondering if it was possible with the FW Ink Dye.

Also, is there a cleaner war of dyeing the wig instead of spraying it because most of the time when I spray it, it doesn't cover the whole wig, especially the roots so I get patches of a lighter shade here and there when compared to the rest of the wig. Also, cleaning is such a chore when spraying the wig. I remembered hearing someone using a pan and dumping the wig in after getting tired of spraying in the original thread.

Puppy-Sama
09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I make hair extensions, synthetic dreads out of Kanekalon hair. Do you think this tutorial would work on that also?

。◕‿◕。23SKIDOO
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
if i used alcohol on a ginger wig would all the colour drain out?

what would happen to it?

Mangochutney
09-16-2008, 01:38 PM
23- No. Unless the ginger color is something you applied yourself with an alcohol solution, the color is mixed into the plastic of the wig fiber and can't be removed.

。◕‿◕。23SKIDOO
09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
yay now i have an exuse to buy a new wig lol

Akusesu
09-17-2008, 07:48 PM
epicly noob question!

i can NOT find the FW ink in black anywhere around here, and have no time to wait for a mail in...

i was curious if indian black ink will work? lOL
was the only ink that was black in the same section as the FW inks haha

Puppy-Sama
09-17-2008, 09:06 PM
FW hates Kanekalon synthetic jumbo braid. I'm sad. Will try again tomorrow.

Koi
09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Majorly n00bish question. Where is the original tutorial??

blueassassin547
09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
heeey
n00b here...please tell me off if this question is, ah, stupid...

this'll be my first wig, i've got some time to get this done, but i figured i'd ask the experts before i try and fail ^_^'

i'm working on a Jak costume [Jak&Daxter, icydk] and i'm thinking that the FW method would work for his hair [i'd be going yellow wig and FWing green on it], and if the green can be faded into the yellow
i just wanted to gather thoughts on this

reference picture
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5307/art01jl1.jpg

thanks much (3

caineyamiyasha
09-21-2008, 11:00 PM
This is very interesting. I have been using the Sharpie dying for as song as I know, But now I think I am going to do some experimenting with the Ink method too. There will probably be a wider range of color methods that way.

Thanks for putting this up! Don't know why I didn't see this sooner.

MissyJennifer
10-04-2008, 11:22 AM
from what i've read Eleora fiber doesn't hold dye well and i was wondering how well fw ink sticks to Eleora fiber

This is the wig im getting (http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_ashley850.html) in silvery-white

onigirix
10-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Newbie question here!

I'm going to help my friend with her Mukuro wig and it's a dark blue color... Like this! (http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh181/xXgrayXx/Mukuro.jpg)
Should I buy a light colored wig (white or blonde) and then dye with FW Ink or am I better off buying a darker color wig and dying it from there? Will it even get that dark with a blonde wig? Thanks in advance!

oslapedo
11-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Will this method of dying work on the "New Look" wigs?

Truthdel
12-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I have hear copic ink works too, have any opinion of it?

Kukkii-san
12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Copic works just fine, there's a separate thread on this method on the forums though (but it works the same way, except for the mix ratio.)

As for New Look wigs, not really, since the fiber (Eleora) doesn't take the dye as well. It's basically hit or miss, but it should work for light colors. The dye just won't stop bleeding when you rinse the wig. (You can also buy Katie Bair's new formula wig dye, which is made for Eleora fiber too.)

themarchingoboe
12-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Newbie question here!

I'm going to help my friend with her Mukuro wig and it's a dark blue color... Like this! (http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh181/xXgrayXx/Mukuro.jpg)
Should I buy a light colored wig (white or blonde) and then dye with FW Ink or am I better off buying a darker color wig and dying it from there? Will it even get that dark with a blonde wig? Thanks in advance!

People were just talking about this on the true thread (here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=57484). It's on the most recent page.

Hiyoko-chan
12-10-2008, 11:46 PM
This is my first attempt at this method so i just want to get things straight before i start XD SO, in order to get a lighter color in this case Light blue [i'm shooting more for like a sky blue] would it be best to just add white to the blue in in the same recommended ratio? [8 squeezes per 1 cup alchohol (like 3 squeezes blue and 5 squeezes white)] or would it be best to just alter the ratio to only use a slight bit of dye.. i'm assuming adding white since i'm sure more alcohol concentration would run the ink.. but just checking LOL XD

Zipchan
12-10-2008, 11:52 PM
If I were you, I'd add the white ink in drop by drop until you get a good color.

otaku_ken
02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I was wondering, if you use a higher percentage of alcohol (ex 92%), what exactly will happen. Because i want to dye a platinum blonde wig this color

this is the platinum wig.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QDTB46/sr=1-16/qid=1233213254/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1233213254&sr=1-16&seller=

this is the wig color
http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/CODE%20GEASS/CODE%20GEASS%20R2%20-%2005%20-%20Villetta%20Swimsuit.jpg

this the colors: basically using a combination of shimmering blue and cool gray from this site.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/

Zipchan
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Ken: I wouldn't use any greater concentration than 70 percent, because anything higher than that will just make the dye slide right off again.

As far as the color mix for Villetta's hair, I think shimmering blue and cool grey would work. Maybe an 8:2 ratio would work? (8 being grey, 2 being blue)

Kyna
02-11-2009, 02:53 AM
Very helpful thread :D

Although it's difficult to find acrylic ink here in our place. I wonder if it's okay to resort with acrylic paint and use the same method as what people usually do with acrylic ink?

Kukkii-san
02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Nope, acrylic paint is something entirely different. But you should be able to find Copic or Sharpie or some other alcohol-based permanent marker (there are also separate threads on how to use both of these brands. Copic ink is great because it has a huge color choice and you can use the refill bottles, rather than buying indivicual markers.)

adrawer4ever
02-17-2009, 01:48 AM
My apologies if this post is misplaced.

Been scouring around for hours now in preparation to dye a cosworx Amanda wig.
(I'll definitely be pretesting the dye)

But was wondering if the dye mixture dries significantly darker/lighter/brighter than when it's still wet? Or is the color of your solution going to dry pretty close to the same color?

benihime
02-17-2009, 02:37 AM
My apologies if this post is misplaced.

Been scouring around for hours now in preparation to dye a cosworx Amanda wig.
(I'll definitely be pretesting the dye)

But was wondering if the dye mixture dries significantly darker/lighter/brighter than when it's still wet? Or is the color of your solution going to dry pretty close to the same color?

it most likely will be the same color. but i suggest you do a test strip with some fibers from your wig to be sure

Kyna
02-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Nope, acrylic paint is something entirely different. But you should be able to find Copic or Sharpie or some other alcohol-based permanent marker (there are also separate threads on how to use both of these brands. Copic ink is great because it has a huge color choice and you can use the refill bottles, rather than buying indivicual markers.)

Good thing I went back here to check XD I was planning to test the acrylic paint tomorrow. Thanks Kukkii-san!

otaku_ken
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I have a weird question. I recently got my fw ink, but it wasn't what i thought. The shimmering blue is actually just a pale color with a blot of small blue sparkles in it. The pale gray is also really strong. And i need my wig to be grayish blue. I was wondering if i could add blue sharpie ink to my mix to make the solution more blue?

here is a picture
http://www.kiri-no-hana.net/vileohgi/images/Layout-tempo_04.jpg

Lunairetic
02-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi there. Forgive me my n00b-ish question, but...

I've just recently dyed my wig and extensions using this method, and I had done a color test with the dye before and it was fine, but now that I've finished dying everything, I've realized after looking everything over under sunlight, that the color needs to be more blue. So. Here's my question:

Do I need to strip the dye off the wig (and the extensions too) BEFORE I redye the wig? Or is it ok to just mix a new batch of dye and spray over the first dye job? I'm just concerned that all that dye on the wig will affect the texture and shine... OR that the alcohol in the next dye mixture I use if I just dye over the current color will remove or mess up the first layer of color I've put on. Does anyone have any thoughts?

(Oh, and my wig is already washed and rinsed out after the first dye. If I wasn't unhappy with the color, it would be ready to style.)

Thanks!

Annette
02-26-2009, 01:38 AM
Feel free to post how your wigs turned out here:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=172961

livingsoul12066
03-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Coming here for (hopefully) a little more specific help.

My cosplay is still in the planning stages, but I've got everything mapped out except the wig. The character in question is Karolina Dean: http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o68/JayMohr99/MARVEL/heroes/116254-karolina-dean_400.jpg. I really want to use the Ashley 850 from New Look, but I've read that New Look wigs don't take dye very well. Is this true of all New Look wigs, or is there something I can do to make FW ink stick better? Better yet, is there a dye that actually likes the New Look wigs?

Thank you very much! :)

Kukkii-san
03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
You can dye Eleora fiber, it just doesn't take the dye as well as Kanekalon fiber. I wouldn't recommend it for a drastic color change, or for a huge project like that one.

You can use Katie Bair's new formula wig dye, it works on Eleora fiber too.

Or you can just get another wig in Kanekalon fiber. For example, the Alice's Dream from Amphigory is pretty much the same as the Ashley 850, and it's dyeable. It's only available in natural colors and white, though. But maybe one of the upcoming cosworx wigs would work for you?

choco-miruku
03-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm going to be dyeing this wig in the colour shown (http://amphigory.com/wigs_fy_delectable_doll.html) and a similarly Angela 750.

The colours of the wig don't come in the exact shades, so I want to dye them to a nice golden blonde so they will. >> They're close in colours, but it irks me.

Some on the yellows FW inks are Brilliant Yellow, Indian Yellow, and Yellow Orche? Are any of these better than the other? I don't want it too dark, but then, I don't want it too light so my friend looks wierd. She's darker toned, and looks better in, like, the midrange blondes. ><' Am I making sense? Would birriliant yellow be perferable?

Doing both of these guys, btw. (http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt292/chocomon/Vocaloid/20071220rinlen.jpg)

Edit: Buying the ink from DickBlick.

livingsoul12066
03-01-2009, 09:17 PM
You can dye Eleora fiber, it just doesn't take the dye as well as Kanekalon fiber. I wouldn't recommend it for a drastic color change, or for a huge project like that one.

You can use Katie Bair's new formula wig dye, it works on Eleora fiber too.

Or you can just get another wig in Kanekalon fiber. For example, the Alice's Dream from Amphigory is pretty much the same as the Ashley 850, and it's dyeable. It's only available in natural colors and white, though. But maybe one of the upcoming cosworx wigs would work for you?

Okay, thanks. I don't think using a natural-color wig would be a problem, I was planning on having to dye in all the colors anyways.

Lunairetic
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi there. Forgive me my n00b-ish question, but...

I've just recently dyed my wig and extensions using this method, and I had done a color test with the dye before and it was fine, but now that I've finished dying everything, I've realized after looking everything over under sunlight, that the color needs to be more blue. So. Here's my question:

Do I need to strip the dye off the wig (and the extensions too) BEFORE I redye the wig? Or is it ok to just mix a new batch of dye and spray over the first dye job? I'm just concerned that all that dye on the wig will affect the texture and shine... OR that the alcohol in the next dye mixture I use if I just dye over the current color will remove or mess up the first layer of color I've put on. Does anyone have any thoughts?

(Oh, and my wig is already washed and rinsed out after the first dye. If I wasn't unhappy with the color, it would be ready to style.)

Thanks!

Sorry to post again about this, but I'd really like to save myself the trouble of having to strip all the dye from my wig if I don't have to.

My wig did not come out the color I wanted. It just needs a minor color adjustment (more blue tones), so I was wondering if spraying a more diluted (mostly blue) dye mixture over the current dye job would work or if I need to strip the dye from the wig and re-dye the wig from scratch...? Has anyone tried this before? I don't really want to have to re-dye the wig from scratch if all it needs is a minor color tone adjustment... but I'm worried the alcohol from the second dye batch will make the ink from the first run or something...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Kukkii-san
03-04-2009, 06:04 AM
It will make the dye run and cause streaks, you'll have to strip the dye from your wig first to be safe, i.e., if you want a solid color and can't live with just adding a few highlights / streaks in the new color. I don't think you'll be able to achieve an even coloring if you apply a second layer of dye, the streaks will show after you've washed out the dye residue.

No one's keeping you from giving it a try, of course, just keep in mind you may end up using more dye (and time, of course) if it doesn't work and you have to re-dye the whole wig after all.

otaku_ken
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I going to dye a white wig this color of bluish gray. I was wondering if this is a good combination

here is a reference,

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c112/ycysusan2001/?action=view&current=Untitled-4copy-3.jpg

and i'm going to to use payness gray and marine blue to get the shade. Wondering if anyone has had some dying experience with that. here is the link

http://www.dickblick.com/products/fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/

Coffee
03-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Heya, will India Ink work for this? Thanks.

Zexion.6
03-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy a spray bottle?

Kukkii-san
03-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I recommend these, (http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigsupplies_dye.html#bottles) they're very good for dyeing wigs and easy to handle because they're so small.

KittyCanuck
03-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know where you can buy a spray bottle?

Go to your local drugstore or WalMart or Dollar Store, and in the section where they have the "travel size" shampoos and stuff, they usually have small spray bottles.
For larger spray bottles, check out the floral section of WalMart.

Nativegirl
03-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm really sorry if this question is redundant, but I just want to make sure I have this correct.

I'm doing a wig for Nia (http://www.gurren-lagann.net/chara/images/nia.gif) from GL (click for reference), and while I know her look can be successfully achieved by "frankensteining" wigs and dying chunks, I wanted to go for something a little more gradient. I've noticed that a few Japanese wigs for Sheryl Nome from Macross Frontier have achieved this look, and I wanted to emulate it. Here's basically what I want to do, except I want it to be tinted blue rather than pink:
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/s/?@0_mall/wigland/cabinet/prichara3/ca000-038_1.jpg

If I want just a subtle color change (the starting color would be a blonde wig like the one in the picture), this is the method I should use, right?

phantomthief
03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Nativegirl- ultra diluted, but I think you could achieve that :) However, keep in mind that if the original wig has too much of a yellow tint, the wig will end up aqua due to the green tones.

And for a question of my own... I'm totally about to click the "buy" button on the ink, so any opinions (even unexperienced!) are very appreciated!

I've got this wig: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-clip-on-JADE-GREEN-PONYTAIL-wig-vocaloid-miku-cosplay_W0QQitemZ400038907223QQihZ027QQcategoryZ60 188QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And I need this color: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/mini_kitten_o5/cielpinkdress02.jpg

I'm thinking black and Marine blue or black and turquoise or Payne's grey with marine/turquoise. Thoughts?

~Ari

Chibi Yumari
03-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Nativegirl- ultra diluted, but I think you could achieve that :) However, keep in mind that if the original wig has too much of a yellow tint, the wig will end up aqua due to the green tones.

And for a question of my own... I'm totally about to click the "buy" button on the ink, so any opinions (even unexperienced!) are very appreciated!

I've got this wig: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-clip-on-JADE-GREEN-PONYTAIL-wig-vocaloid-miku-cosplay_W0QQitemZ400038907223QQihZ027QQcategoryZ60 188QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And I need this color: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg284/mini_kitten_o5/cielpinkdress02.jpg

I'm thinking black and Marine blue or black and turquoise or Payne's grey with marine/turquoise. Thoughts?

~Ari

I had a similar problem. Payne's grey is not all that grey though. It is like a dark grey green color so I think it may just make your wig dark turquoise already. I'd probably go with black and mix it with a blue or you could even add white to the ink to make it lighter black. Hope it helps. :toothy:

Nativegirl
03-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Thank you so much! This may be a stupid question, but should I dilute it in alcohol or water? And if it does turn green, and I go over it to make the blue darker, will the original dye job streak, do you think? ^^;

Sorry that I'm posting more questions! Unfortunately I don't have the answer to yours~

phantomthief
03-28-2009, 11:18 PM
No problem. I'll probably just experiment~

And dilute to alcohol ^__^ If you redye, the alcohol in the mix will strip the previous dye, so I wouldn't suggest that. Since you seem to be going for an almost powder blue wig, why not dye over a white wig?

alacorn
03-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Has anyone tried this dye on non-wig fibers? like fake fur or Fiber fill?

and how does the shimmering ink work out? (exuse me if this was already answered by the question with metalic ink)

F1yMordecai
04-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm going to be dyeing this wig in the colour shown (http://amphigory.com/wigs_fy_delectable_doll.html) and a similarly Angela 750.

The colours of the wig don't come in the exact shades, so I want to dye them to a nice golden blonde so they will. >> They're close in colours, but it irks me.

Some on the yellows FW inks are Brilliant Yellow, Indian Yellow, and Yellow Orche? Are any of these better than the other? I don't want it too dark, but then, I don't want it too light so my friend looks wierd. She's darker toned, and looks better in, like, the midrange blondes. ><' Am I making sense? Would birriliant yellow be perferable?

Doing both of these guys, btw. (http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt292/chocomon/Vocaloid/20071220rinlen.jpg)

Edit: Buying the ink from DickBlick.

Hello, choco-miruku, I was wondering if you've purchased that wig yet for dyeing. My question is mainly because I am trying to figure out which wig to buy to get the color I want. I read on Amphigory's site that the "Forever Young" line doesn't take to dye very well even though it's Kanekalon fiber. Has anyone else had success with this FW technique on the "Forever Young" line?

Going on with this same topic...I've read through the original FW post and this one and I still have a few questions. But don't worry, they aren't silly things like what color should I use... ;)

After reading through these two helpful threads, I've come to a conclusion that I should get a wig in either light gray (#60) or platinum grey (#101) to get the desired shade. I hadn't seen anyone dye their wig a light purple (just bright purple) so I'm curious as to how this will turn out. I'll be cosplaying Dark Rukia in the local fall con.

My main problem is this: How much of a difference do you get in the shade from spraying to rinsing? I haven't seen a post about how much fading is to be expected using this technique. Saturation tends to change after rinsing.

Chibi Yumari
04-07-2009, 03:10 AM
I just had a few questions.
I am trying to make a dark turquoise wig to a dark blue/grey color with FW ink. I was wondering if someone could help me to suggest colors to blend in order to achieve this effect.
I was thinking about trying to use black with some grey in it to darken it but I don't know if black will be too black or make the wig too dark. It's an expensive wig so I don't want to ruin it too much.

I also wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations for rinsing a curly wig after dying so that the water runs clean. I don't want to ruin the curls in the wig and water will make it heavy.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :D

ibrahimpeasnell
04-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Hi

I new to the forums, and am wanting to cosplay as Minato's from Persona 3. I know the character's hair colour is midnight blue, and as this is my first wig that I will dye, I am an amatuer at dying wigs, and it would be greatly appreciated if some person could give me directions in steps, of how the process is to dye a wig midnight blue for my cosplay. The faq at the start of this thead kind of confused me, so any help you can provide iis greatly appreciated.

novaraven1
04-24-2009, 02:46 PM
My experience with FW ink dying has led me to never want to do it again with a dark colour. The colour tends to powder off on everything even after it's been dried and rinsed several times. And rinsing it more will simply make the wig colour fade more and look streaky.

If it is at all possible for you to buy a wig manufactured in the midnight blue colour, please do so. Dying is not the best option for dark colours. Even light colours tend to have some transfer onto skin or fabric in my experience.

The problem with all wig dying methods is getting the dye to stick to the very smooth plastic fibers that your wig is made of. When you use the alchohol FW ink method, you're diluting the colour pigments in the dye, spraying them onto your wig, and then the alcohol they are suspended in evaporates leaving behind the particles of colour that hopefully stick to your wig. The more you rinse it, the more the colour particles will come off. The more you rub things against your wig, or brush it, or whatever, the more the colour will come off (usually on you)

The best alternative if you cannot buy a midnight blue wig is to buy a regular dark blue wig and to buy black extension hair and sew it in by hand to blend through so it looks darker.

choco-miruku
04-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Hello, choco-miruku, I was wondering if you've purchased that wig yet for dyeing. My question is mainly because I am trying to figure out which wig to buy to get the color I want. I read on Amphigory's site that the "Forever Young" line doesn't take to dye very well even though it's Kanekalon fiber. Has anyone else had success with this FW technique on the "Forever Young" line?

I'm sorry. I wish I could answer, but I can't. We're still waiting for the wigs to arrive themselves. >_O

Should I PM you the result when I actually try? I've heard the Forever Young wigs can be dyed, though. They just needed a higher concentration on ink?

Yanderekko
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Should I comb the wig, while spraying it, to keep it from sticking together and clumping? Would it be okay to just soak the wig in a bowl of the mixture?

And does it matter what kind of wig it is?
I haven't found the wigs I want to use yet. I don't know if I'll find something I like on CosWorx, Amphigory, or eBay.

catgirlkari
05-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had trouble dying Punky XL's. I've been trying different strengths of formula on it, but the color doesn't stick well. I always test little chunks of hair before dying the full wig and I let the mini wefts sit over-night so the ink can't drip off, so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't that the ink doesn't have enough time to dry. I even put straight rubbing alcohol on it before dying to try and take off any weird coating the fibers may have, but maybe I didn't do that right?

Starla James
05-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Living in the UK,I cant find FW , Magic Color is in a lot of shops, has anyone experienced this one for dyeing? or any other ink i can get from hobbycraft or somewhere with a chain in the UK

thanks

plastisine
05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times before, but I seem to have overlooked the answer.

I started out with a platinum blonde Punky XL and attepted to dye it with Marine Blue FW ink, for a Saix cosplay. The dye worked somewhat, but the majority of it dripped off until the top was light greenish blue, and the tips were very dark, like I'd just stuck them in the ink bottle. <___> I read elsewhere that I could possibly try 90% alcohol (I used 70) or use a hair dryer to dry sections as I spray it, but for the moment, I'm totally out of ink and my only option is to order something new. In a different color, though I'm really not sure which to use now, because that one looked great online.

Anyway, I tried to strip the dye back out, but I've done something wrong. Instead of a platinum blond wig, I now have a light seafoam green wig. I assumed soaking it in alcohol and rinsing it would strip the color back out. What have I done wrong?

Needless to say, this is the first wig I've ever tried to work with.

F1yMordecai
05-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm sorry. I wish I could answer, but I can't. We're still waiting for the wigs to arrive themselves. >_O

Should I PM you the result when I actually try? I've heard the Forever Young wigs can be dyed, though. They just needed a higher concentration on ink?

That would be great, thanks! Ugh, sorry for the late reply... :bashful:

Kiichigo
06-02-2009, 06:56 AM
I 'accidently' mentioned something about needing alcohol for dying a wigvto my mom, and she bought 93% for me- is there ANY way I'll be able to use that?
(I know there probably isn't, but it's worth a shot. I don't think my parentshave ever heard of any places in DK that sells 70% alcohol)

RAWRitsDana
06-15-2009, 01:55 PM
I have a question, I attempted to dye my 613 Bleach blonde Clover B wig with the spray fw ink method....and now it looks like a bleach blonde wig with little streaks of yellow. I don't know why it's not turning out, it seems like the wig isn't taking the dye O.o any advice?

Kukkii-san
06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
@Kiichigo
93% is great.

@RAWRitsDana
Are you sure you didn't do anything wrong in the dyeing process? Failed to set the dye with blow dryer heat right after applying it? Overapplied the dye a little too often? Rinsed the wig while the dye was still wet?

You can determine whether a wig takes to the dye or not by doing swatch tests on a scrap of fiber before you attempt to dye the whole thing. This will also let you determine the perfect mix ratio; a streaky color may be the result of a very weak dye that hardly shows up at all (tempting you to overapply it, thus dissolving the dye that's already in the fiber.)

RAWRitsDana
06-16-2009, 01:37 AM
I didn't set it with a dryer because I don't really trust my hair dryer that's from the 18th century :P But I'll re-dye it, but this time set it with low heat. Should I rinse out my wig before I try to re-dye it, and thanks for your help :)

sievkatronshea
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I don't think this question has been directly addressed in this thread, so I'll go ahead and ask. :3

How would you go about stripping the dye so that you can return the wig/wefts to the original color (or at least fairly close)?

Right now I'm soaking my wefts in acetone, which seems to be stripping a little bit of dye, but I don't think its gonna quite do the trick. Other suggestions?

Kukkii-san
06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Put the wig / extensions in a ziploc bag, pour alcohol over it (or acetone or whatever you're using), shake well, and rinse.

sheshechan
06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
a couple questions that i didn't see.. how long should the wig sit after the ink is sprayed on? and is there a special way to rinse? or just put it under water, and if so, what temperature water? i'm worried that the wig will still smell like alcohol afterward.

oh, and i'm trying to dye this wig:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/sheshechan/aDSC00561.jpg

to get this colour:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/sheshechan/merylwig.jpg?t=1245510723

.. if that helps any?

Kukkii-san
06-20-2009, 08:00 PM
how long should the wig sit after the ink is sprayed on?
Not at all if you're doing it right (setting the dye with a blow dryer right after you've applied it.) As long as the alcohol hasn't evaporated, the dye will still run and result in streaks / discolored wig fiber. The wig must be bone dry before you rinse it, or the water will take the dye with it.

Leave the wig on the wig head and put it in the shower. Cold water only! Rinse it for at least, like, ten minutes, and make sure the water gets everywhere (you can turn the wig upside down, or lay it down if it's very long and prone to tangling.)

sheshechan
06-21-2009, 09:05 AM
thank you so much kukkii! you've been a big help. :)

iaShakezula
06-27-2009, 03:39 PM
well I dyed my firt wig today.I am making Asch the Bloody's hair . I just need to darken the ends.I tried the 6 squirts of caligraphy ink to 1/2 cup alcohol.It was too light , so I kept adding black and red.I have an air brush , so I applied it with an airbrush in layers.It took me a while but I liked how it looked.I will wait for a while to apply wig spray for sheen.I hope that doesnt mess it up .

WhisperingTree
06-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I dyed a wig in the beginning of the year using this method. I dyed a silver/white wig a lightish blue-grey for Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler). It was my first time, and I'm very happy the way it turned out.

I didn't use FW ink because the art store I went to had never heard of that particular brand, so I used the acrylic ink they had. I had trouble with the black dye; I mixed it in with the alcohol in the bottle, but when I sprayed it splattered in chunks.

Have other people had this problem, or was it the brand of ink I used?

I thought it might be because of the transparancy (or lack thereof) of the black which was less than the other colours?

My dad and I did manage to mix little bits of black at a time, but thankfully I wasn't making the wig particularly dark.

Something I realised whilst dyeing was that I needed to let each 'layer' of ink I sprayed on dry before spraying on more. Seems obvious, but I didn't think about it. A lot of the ink just dripped off of the ends of the wig when I got too impatient. Although this did have the side effect of giving me a 'natural' (the wig IS blue after all) streaked effect - streaks of the original silver colour of the wig showed through under the blue dye.

Inverse
07-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Some of the inks I have are labeled as "Pearlescent" and "FW Pearlescent". Do these types work just as pull as the ones that are just labeled "FW"? They all seem to be made by the same manufacturer, but I don't know if there is a difference.

Taruto!
07-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Some of the inks I have are labeled as "Pearlescent" and "FW Pearlescent". Do these types work just as pull as the ones that are just labeled "FW"? They all seem to be made by the same manufacturer, but I don't know if there is a difference.

I'm wondering this too. Has anyone tried dying wigs with Pearlescent ink?

ladylada
07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Haven't used the pearlescent inks, but my guess would be that the result would be similar to using a Silver (or other metallic) Sharpie. Pearlescent colors usually have little bits of metallic flakes suspended in the pigment to give the color its sheen. When you add the ink to the alcohol, however, the flakes separate from the color and float to the top. The color itself should be similar to whatever color the ink you're using is, but you won't get the pearl finish on your wig.

Taruto!
07-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Just a quick post to say that I tried dying a wig with pearlescent ink this weekend. It's the first time I've dyed a wig, so I have nothing to compare it to, but the dye took nicely and the sparkle didn't seperate too much from the alcohol or during spraying as ladylada suggested might happen. I think if it was left to settle it would, but because I shook it continuously in the bottle during shaking it kept the sparkle flowing around the bottle. As it was sprayed the sparkle stuck to the wig nicely. However, while washing it afterward a lot of the sparkle *did* disappear, but not all of it.

The colour was lighter than what I'd expect a normal ink to give due to the sparkle being in the ink. I think it dilutes it a little. It's still there, but not as sparkly as it was before. The colour faded a little as said but it still dyed and took nicely. I was using FW Pearlescent Ink and a pink Kanekalon wig from cosplaywig on eBay.

I don't have any pictures at the moment but I might upload some later to show it during and after spraying. I don't know if I have any before, but I'll have a look and see what I took :)

GraveTheUndead
07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Hm, reading this would have been more useful if it weren't for the fact that my partner working on wigs didn't rinse out too soon, we've had to go through like, 2 Bottles due to the length and how thorough we want the ink to be in there. XD

GHprime
08-16-2009, 07:56 AM
do you guys think my brown extensions will turn navy blue if i dyed them w/ FW ink? im too scared to try D:

CourtoonXIII
08-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Matters how dark they are, they will be tinted, but probably not totally solid blue,

XuzumakiXsoraX
08-20-2009, 12:31 AM
i need to put white stripes in a black wig does the ink work?

Lucrezea
08-23-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure if any of these have been posted or not, but I found them all kind of handy.

This website (http://www.neverbook.com/PP%20ink_colors.htm) has a written description about most of the FW Ink colours, in the event you have to purchase online instead of being able to go to a physical store.

Here's some colour charts I frequently reference:
http://www.reuels.com/reuels/media/dr/dr029ch.gif
http://www.daler-rowney.com/sites/daler-rowney.com/files/webform/pdf/FW%20ink%20acrylic%20chart_0.pdf

There's also HTML colour references here:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/
https://www.wallacks.com/catalogue/catalogcolour.php?cat=ink11&table=inks

dreamparker
08-29-2009, 03:35 PM
wow

wanbo626
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I was wondering how much of what kind of fw ink I need for a kyo sohma wig.
http://www.freewebs.com/japanimegirlsamuraisdomain/Fruits_Basket_Kyo_Sohma2.jpg
http://www.japanforum.com/gallery/data/509/kyo_sohma.png

It's orange but not neon o.o

hajikee
09-09-2009, 02:33 AM
a true orange ink.

Can you TINT a black or almost black wig with a colour? I'd like it to be black, but in the sunlight at least have a sheen of another colour.

Also can I make a teal wig dark green by dying with FW Ink?

Habeeeb
09-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Hey everyone, I need major help!
I bought a white wig that I fell in love with, problem is I need to dye it a weird Reddish brown color.
So I bought a ton of FW ink, and followed the directions on this site, including the mixing, and blowdrying but the ink just wouldn't stick!
I even tried a more concenetrated dye, the most I got was a few dyed blotches here and there...

Is there any explanation as to why this is happening?! I used up all my FW ink trying to dye this sucker, any help would be great

Thanks!

Yunamii
09-23-2009, 05:58 AM
so.. it'd be possible to dye a white wig red like yoko's hair in gurren lagann?

im trying to either do that... or get a burgundy red which is a bit off...

im scared to try it D: (referring to comment above)

Kukkii-san
09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Red on white will give you pale pink or a very washed out, pale red. Start with a bright red or hot pink wig for a deep red color.

Valentine_x
09-25-2009, 12:21 PM
So, I dyed a blonde wig purple yesterday, and I have a problem:
The dye has stuck to the middle and ends of the wig, but not the 'roots'.
Any reason why this is?
Will the bucket method work better for this?

Dal_Segno
10-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Sorry for falling behind on this thread! I'll be going through and adding some of the new questions I've seen pop up on the thread back to the main FAQ, so let me know if I miss any thing! Special thanks goes to those of you answering questions in my absence, I am very grateful! :]

I am also going to hopefully having a video tutorial for this method coming up soon! I have two wigs I need to dye, so look forward to that in the future! :]

a true orange ink.

Can you TINT a black or almost black wig with a colour? I'd like it to be black, but in the sunlight at least have a sheen of another colour.

Also can I make a teal wig dark green by dying with FW Ink?

1. Yes, you should be able to add just a tint to the wig. 2. You may have some teal undertones to the green, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hey everyone, I need major help!
I bought a white wig that I fell in love with, problem is I need to dye it a weird Reddish brown color.
So I bought a ton of FW ink, and followed the directions on this site, including the mixing, and blowdrying but the ink just wouldn't stick!
I even tried a more concenetrated dye, the most I got was a few dyed blotches here and there...

Is there any explanation as to why this is happening?! I used up all my FW ink trying to dye this sucker, any help would be great

Thanks!

What kind of fiber is the wig? What is your concentration of alcohol [70% or 90%]? I'm not sure what's up, but I hope I can help you get to the bottom of this! D:

So, I dyed a blonde wig purple yesterday, and I have a problem:
The dye has stuck to the middle and ends of the wig, but not the 'roots'.
Any reason why this is?
Will the bucket method work better for this?

Did you try using a hair dryer to "dry" the ink in place? I had that same problem until I used one. ;]

TyrantII
10-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry to post a question right off the bat as a Noob, but looking for some advice on correct HW Ink colors to use in your expert opinions.

The plan is to alter a 613 wig and try to make it dirty blond, with grimy green highlights.

Look I'm going for :) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/divxplanet/2692164835/sizes/l/in/set-72157605242407060/)
More (http://www.flickr.com/photos/divxplanet/2520684757/sizes/o/in/set-72157605242407060/)

Just wondering what FW colors I should most likely use. Green and a brown would be my guess, but which ones for the desired color?

I was thinking dark green, but upon finding a bottle of the stuff in the store, it's very blue green, not dark green. Not even really sure why its called dark green.

I might be forced to buy on the net because the stores around be don't have the whole selections of HW, and i'm worried of getting the wrong colors.

Thanks a bunch!

TyrantII
10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
whoops

Dal_Segno
10-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Sorry to post a question right off the bat as a Noob, but looking for some advice on correct HW Ink colors to use in your expert opinions.

The plan is to alter a 613 wig and try to make it dirty blond, with grimy green highlights.

Look I'm going for :) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/divxplanet/2692164835/sizes/l/in/set-72157605242407060/)
More (http://www.flickr.com/photos/divxplanet/2520684757/sizes/o/in/set-72157605242407060/)

Just wondering what FW colors I should most likely use. Green and a brown would be my guess, but which ones for the desired color?

I was thinking dark green, but upon finding a bottle of the stuff in the store, it's very blue green, not dark green. Not even really sure why its called dark green.

I might be forced to buy on the net because the stores around be don't have the whole selections of HW, and i'm worried of getting the wrong colors.

Thanks a bunch!

I'd try olive green personally, maybe with a hint of antelope brown at the roots. :]

benihime
10-27-2009, 05:39 PM
okay so since i'm not good at figuring out what colors make what, I thought i'd ask. I have this light pink wig that I want to make a tad bit darker and more milkshake pink (like here: hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/MILKSHAKE-PINK-31-5-long-straight-wig-new-cosplay-dark_W0QQitemZ400081404919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CS A_MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item5d26b5c3f7) but a tad bit lighter. what colors should I mix? i bought quite a few just in case

TyrantII
11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Just wanted to send out a thanks for the help and all the compiled info in this thread and others. I successfully went from this in 613:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-16383186999789_2076_35429453

To this with dark green, olive green, and antelope brown:
http://i34.tinypic.com/14cxh5s.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/r785c6.jpg

Hope you all had a fun and safe Halloween!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs057.snc3/14434_718220208831_5000644_42965088_4519889_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs107.snc3/15437_747981417172_9109007_42778307_4435955_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs087.snc3/15437_747988403172_9109007_42778721_1733749_n.jpg

[My P & S camera, like most, didn't capture the colors correctly. The SLR pics of just the wig above are the true colors]

Habeeeb
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone!
i'm in need of some help..

http://magicalgirlj.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/0682915222b290_full.jpg

I'm going to cosplay lenalee for an upcoming convention. And I really want the wig to have a blueish green tint like her hair..

I'm just wondering what the best method of going about this would be.
Should I buy a black wig and spray blue/greeen on it?
Or should I buy a bluegreen wig and dye it black?
Also, would the FW ink method or sharpie method be better for this?
Thanks a lot!

QuiteVile
11-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Has anyone tried this dye on non-wig fibers? like fake fur or Fiber fill?

I'm remaking my Tailmon, so I thought I'd try this out on the ears. It does work, but you need to be patient. Keep combing the fur so the dye gets all the way through the fibers and is even.

Dal_Segno
11-12-2009, 09:14 PM
okay so since i'm not good at figuring out what colors make what, I thought i'd ask. I have this light pink wig that I want to make a tad bit darker and more milkshake pink (like here: hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/MILKSHAKE-PINK-31-5-long-straight-wig-new-cosplay-dark_W0QQitemZ400081404919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CS A_MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item5d26b5c3f7) but a tad bit lighter. what colors should I mix? i bought quite a few just in case

I'd try Magenta first, but that's just from personal experience. Make sure you have white on hand to lighten it, just in case! :]

Just wanted to send out a thanks for the help and all the compiled info in this thread and others. I successfully went from this in 613:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-16383186999789_2076_35429453

To this with dark green, olive green, and antelope brown:
http://i34.tinypic.com/14cxh5s.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/r785c6.jpg

Hope you all had a fun and safe Halloween!

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs057.snc3/14434_718220208831_5000644_42965088_4519889_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs107.snc3/15437_747981417172_9109007_42778307_4435955_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs087.snc3/15437_747988403172_9109007_42778721_1733749_n.jpg

[My P & S camera, like most, didn't capture the colors correctly. The SLR pics of just the wig above are the true colors]

Great Job! You make a very convincing Joker, and I'm glad we were able to help you! :]

I'll add this to the FAQ! Thank you for the information. :]

And it appears that I won't be doing a video tutorial anytime soon. I was working with an Elora wig and royally screwed it up to say the least. It sits in a pool of fail and gross on my desk right now, so I'll have to see if I can fix it.

Seraphic_charm
11-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello,

I have a wine red wig: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1467/dsc01558x.jpg
which only appears a smidge purple outdoors, however indoors it looks blood red

I would really like it to be a more purple-ish color in order for it to look like this:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4804/hjhjhi.png

So after looking at the color chart ==> http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/?param=0&ig_id=1475
I wasn't sure if I should try using the 412-Process Magenta or 437-Purple Lake since the wig is already a dark red =x

Dal_Segno
11-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Hello,

I have a wine red wig: http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1467/dsc01558x.jpg
which only appears a smidge purple outdoors, however indoors it looks blood red

I would really like it to be a more purple-ish color in order for it to look like this:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4804/hjhjhi.png

So after looking at the color chart ==> http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/?param=0&ig_id=1475
I wasn't sure if I should try using the 412-Process Magenta or 437-Purple Lake since the wig is already a dark red =x

Try for a smidgen of purple lake. I believe magenta is much more rosy than what you're looking for [judging from my personal experience with it].

爱 Linh
12-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi, I just have a couple questions. Sorry if they've already been asked... I could find anything -_-'

So first question, for the bucket method how long do I have to let it soak? and for a shoulder length wig how much dye would i need? enough to just cover everything or does the wig have to "swim" around?

Second, does stripping a dyed wig take out ALL the dye? or would it still be slightly tinted? in other words, can I make a wig go from white to purple back to pure white?

guess that was kinda more than a couple =P

Thanks ^^

Dal_Segno
12-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi, I just have a couple questions. Sorry if they've already been asked... I could find anything -_-'

So first question, for the bucket method how long do I have to let it soak? and for a shoulder length wig how much dye would i need? enough to just cover everything or does the wig have to "swim" around?

Second, does stripping a dyed wig take out ALL the dye? or would it still be slightly tinted? in other words, can I make a wig go from white to purple back to pure white?

guess that was kinda more than a couple =P

Thanks ^^

When I did the bucket method, I left it in there till all the dye evaporated/I remembered to take it out [I had completely forgotten about the wig until a week after the con and was surprised to see that no mold had grown in it (gross, I know D:)]

I would probably say no more than a night [around 8 - 9 hours] should it be left soaking, but again, that's just a rough guess. YMMV

I've never been able to get a wig to the pristine condition I started with, so no, it won't take out all the dye. Mine was left tinted [so keep that in mind if you're going to dye it a different color] and used a shitton of alcohol to get it out.

As for the amount of dye, we poured the entire bottle of ink in there with about 3 or 4 cups of alcohol for a shoulder length wig. It was covered with a bit of swimming room left over. The dye took well enough, but I recommend string it around to make sure all the strands get covered [when we fetched it out, some of the strands had hardened into bunches that had undyed hair in the center].

Over all, I wouldn't recommend this method since it's not as controllable as with a spray bottle, but I found it was a lazy man's way out of the whole process. The only reason my cosplay buddy and I did it was out of desperation since we were stressed beyond our limits and the con was in two days.

Kukkii-san
12-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Wig dye / alcohol-based dye stains the plastic immediately, just like permanent markers. There is no need to let it soak at all, just swish it around to make sure the dye gets everywhere (simply put it in a ziploc bag and shake well.) Set the dye ASAP with a hairdryer (on the lowest setting) or it will run and leave streaks or a completely discolored wig.

That being said, I do not recommend the bucket dye method either, you'll get a much more even result with the spray-dyeing method (and you won't waste as much precious dye.) It may work for thin, short wigs that don't have a lot of fiber in them, however.

WARPAINTandUnicorns
12-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a question for you lovely dye masters.

I'm trying going to dye this beast of a wig in blonde. http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_bad_girl.html

This colour http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/alice_in_wonderland_red_queen_body.jpg

This wig however is "ratted underneath for support" I'm wondering how can I dye the ratted area if bathing the wig will not work. I also don't think I can get an XL ziplock bag for this one. :crylaugh:

I'm also wondering if the cheaper wig fiber in that wig will take the FW ink at all.

Kukkii-san
12-17-2009, 04:48 AM
You can buy ziploc bags in all kinds of sizes, try ebay^^

Roxie~
12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Hello :D

I have a question, I'm going to dye my Luke Fon Fabre wig red. I want to use the FW inks, because I want a bolder red then the sharpies. My wig will be 42"+ in length, my question is how many bottles of the FW ink will I need? I saw they came in 1oz bottles at the Blick store.

here is how the wig looks now, It's made of 3 diffrent wigs. So i'm praying that they will all work with the dye.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4082/lukewig1.th.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/i/lukewig1.jpg/)

Kukkii-san
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Just a note, you can't dye a styled wig (well you can, but it will be hard to achieve an even coloring.) I suggest letting down the updo or disassembling the wig, and washing out any styling products you may have used in the process, so it will be easier to dye using the spray method. Once you've dyed and rinsed the wig thoroughly, and let it air dry, you can condition and style it.

Roxie~
12-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Just a note, you can't dye a styled wig (well you can, but it will be hard to achieve an even coloring.) I suggest letting down the updo or disassembling the wig, and washing out any styling products you may have used in the process, so it will be easier to dye using the spray method. Once you've dyed and rinsed the wig thoroughly, and let it air dry, you can condition and style it.

Uhmm if that was directed at me, my wig isn't styled at all. xD It's only clipped up so i could add my wefts in. No products used yet. :3 I'll pull all the clips and bobby pins out when i dye it. ;D

Kukkii-san
12-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Ah OK, it looked like you'd put it in an updo / ponytail of sorts *lol*

Roxie~
12-18-2009, 08:58 AM
^ Hahaha it's okay xD It made me laugh, cause they whole time I've had it up, I always say it looks like bed head gone crazy. xD

But how many bottles (ounces) of the FW ink do you think i'll need to dye that monster?

I've never used the FW ink before, so I'm not sure how far I can dilute 1 oz of ink. And still have a solid red show.

Dal_Segno
12-24-2009, 05:18 PM
^ Hahaha it's okay xD It made me laugh, cause they whole time I've had it up, I always say it looks like bed head gone crazy. xD

But how many bottles (ounces) of the FW ink do you think i'll need to dye that monster?

I've never used the FW ink before, so I'm not sure how far I can dilute 1 oz of ink. And still have a solid red show.

In all honesty, I'd buy two bottles if I were you. You very well may be able to get by with one, but since you have different wigs mixed together, you never know how they will all take.

alizarine
12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Hello there, uhm I hope it's not a bother if I ask questions here >_<

Is it possible to dye a blond wig green? I mean, if FW ink tints the color underneath it then by principle, dying a blond wig with blue ink would make it somehow green... or would the blue be too strong and create a horrible hue instead? X_x

Dal_Segno
12-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Hello there, uhm I hope it's not a bother if I ask questions here >_<

Oh, haha, it's never a bother. :]

Is it possible to dye a blond wig green? I mean, if FW ink tints the color underneath it then by principle, dying a blond wig with blue ink would make it somehow green... or would the blue be too strong and create a horrible hue instead? X_x

Yes, you can dye a blond wig green [I've done it personally!]

Yes, the ink does tint the wig fibers, but they don't mix like if you put a bunch of different paint colors together in a bowl and stirred them. Basically, you wouldn't use a dark blue marker on piece of white paper expecting them to mix and make sky blue - you'd use a sky blue marker.

Same thing with wig dyeing. If you start with red paper and use a green marker, odds are it will look more black then green. But with wig dyeing, white and blond wigs are pretty much a blank canvas [like white paper], so don't worry about them mixing like that.

I hope that makes sense. o_O

jounink
12-30-2009, 12:56 AM
I did a bit of trial and error with the color mixing, but with help from this tutorial and all the questions asked and answered, I was able to get the color wanted!
Before (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2108540/)
After (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44298375@N02/4224638950/)
Thank you! ^^

alizarine
12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
@ kalas:

Ah, I get it now XD thanks! Now to put it into action :D Hmm, after seeing jounink's post after yours, I thought about mixing now since I'm going to need quite a deep shade of green... hmm, is it advisable to mix the inks before spraying to the wig, or is it better to spray them in layers?

KimthyMangaku
12-31-2009, 01:17 AM
hi hi. im not too sure if anyone replied to this ,but i saw 2 questioners asking this.
Can you use india ink to dye? i also have queen's ink that i got back in vietnam. does the type of ink really matter or so-so? lol please reply ^-^

Dal_Segno
01-03-2010, 03:19 AM
I did a bit of trial and error with the color mixing, but with help from this tutorial and all the questions asked and answered, I was able to get the color wanted!
Before (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2108540/)
After (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44298375@N02/4224638950/)
Thank you! ^^

You did a great job! I'm glad we were able to help you. :]

@ kalas:

Ah, I get it now XD thanks! Now to put it into action :D Hmm, after seeing jounink's post after yours, I thought about mixing now since I'm going to need quite a deep shade of green... hmm, is it advisable to mix the inks before spraying to the wig, or is it better to spray them in layers?

I've always mixed them and tested the color on extra wefts. I usually start with a small batch [around 1/2 a cup] to see how the color goes [so if worse comes to worse, I can dump out the first try without wasting too much alcohol].

hi hi. im not too sure if anyone replied to this ,but i saw 2 questioners asking this.
Can you use india ink to dye? i also have queen's ink that i got back in vietnam. does the type of ink really matter or so-so? lol please reply ^-^

I can't really say since I've never tried, but if you've got a few extra wefts lying around and want to give it a shot, let us know how it goes. My guess is that it won't dye too well [based off other inks people have tried], but eh, you never know for sure until you try.

alizarine
01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
ohkay! I'll try that once I get the wig XD btw, besides FW and sharpie, could marker pen ink (like Pentel, Kurecolor, Stabilo etc) also be used? I think they're gas or alcohol-based too... (I think, based on how they smell XD)

KimthyMangaku
01-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I have just tried out the India Ink method and it is nice! >:D
It took me 3 days to get it the color I wanted mostly because I had school and air dried it. ^=^ And it's pretty dark even though I did it on a white wig.

BakaUsagiChan
01-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Hello~ I have a few questions. I recently bought my first wig on ebay and I wasn't too satisfied with the color so I wanted to dye it.
Here's how it looks like now : http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/kawaiinekoai/wig10141.jpg
and I want it to look like a color similar to this : http://cgi.ebay.com/Kuroshitsuji-Fermla-Ciel-cosplay-wig-costume_W0QQitemZ270418869425QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef6387cb1 (So basically, a dark grey with a little bit of a blue tint in it)

My questions are~
1. Would this method work on the 2-clip on pigtails as well?
2. Would the curls on the bottom of the pigtails be messed up after it's done drying?
3. To get this color I want, I was thinking of using "Prussian Blue" and a bit of "Black". Would this work to get the color I want? (I was looking at : http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/)

KimthyMangaku
01-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Of COURSE ITS POSSIBLE! to die the clips too. the curls are pre-done so as soon as your wig has done air dried the style will go back in place. ^-^
Um when you mix the ink go for 60-70% black or dark Grey ink and mix in a dark blue color of your choice. When I say go for a bit darker its because the color usually fades after you wash the wig to remove excess ink or to uncrisp it after drying >.<
Hello~ I have a few questions. I recently bought my first wig on ebay and I wasn't too satisfied with the color so I wanted to dye it.
Here's how it looks like now : http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/kawaiinekoai/wig10141.jpg
and I want it to look like a color similar to this : http://cgi.ebay.com/Kuroshitsuji-Fermla-Ciel-cosplay-wig-costume_W0QQitemZ270418869425QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef6387cb1 (So basically, a dark grey with a little bit of a blue tint in it)

My questions are~
1. Would this method work on the 2-clip on pigtails as well?
2. Would the curls on the bottom of the pigtails be messed up after it's done drying?
3. To get this color I want, I was thinking of using "Prussian Blue" and a bit of "Black". Would this work to get the color I want? (I was looking at : http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/)

BakaUsagiChan
01-09-2010, 04:57 AM
@KimthyMangaku; oh, thank you so much~ ><
I'll try this when I get the monkey to buy ink~ ^^
oh yeah, umm if I don't like the color I dyed it, is there anyway to change
it back to it's original color, or no? ^^;

Kukkii-san
01-09-2010, 06:07 AM
To strip off the dye, put it in a ziploc bag with rubbing alcohol, shake well, rinse, then just let it air dry on a wig head (and condition it, unless you want to dye it again.)

Blackusagi
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
One of my questions has already been answered so my next questions is can the cleo from the wig shop be dyed the color I have is 613 and I'm gonna try to take it to a dark green, and can the wefts from the store be dyed?

Kukkii-san
01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
The Cleo is New Look brand / Eleora fiber, which doesn't take the dye as well as regular kanekalon fiber. I would not recommend it for dark colors or drastic color changes.

If you want to achieve a dark green color, you probably shouldn't start with a light blonde wig anyway; bright green or emerald green would be better, though it does depend on the exact shade you're trying to achieve. (Reference image?)

As for the cosworx extensions, haven't tried it myself, but their exclusive wigs are supposed to be dyeable, so I would assume that the answer is yes ^.^

Pocketfightr
01-19-2010, 11:20 AM
As for the cosworx extensions, haven't tried it myself, but their exclusive wigs are supposed to be dyeable, so I would assume that the answer is yes ^.^

I guess you've sort of answered the question I was just going to ask about the exclusive wigs. I've been debating whether to wait and hope I can get a Scruffy L in burnt orange when their new shipment gets in or just order a white one (or blond) and take the FW ink to it. I guess at this point it'll be time versus money.

Kukkii-san
01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
If you want an orange color, you should start with a yellow/blonde wig (or even orange, if you're going for a darker orange shade), as close to the desired shade as you can.

Pocketfightr
01-19-2010, 01:06 PM
It's kind of a weird blond.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:Mira.jpg
Closest I could find (viewing on screen) is the burnt orange, which may be too dark, or 25. Both have been out of stock for a while and although I have the time to wait, I'm eager to start. If I went with yellow do you think gold ink (not the metallic) would get it closer to what I need? (I think I'm going to have to take a darker blue to the blue wig I bought, light blue scruffy just wasn't quite dark enough.)

Kukkii-san
01-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I think cosworx' 25 would be yellow enough for that (without having to dye it.)

Or you could just use a New Look wig in 144 (or LG26, if you'd prefer a lighter blonde shade.)

In case you want to do this half/half style as shown in your reference, this probably means you'll be sewing two wigs together anyway (a blue/turquoise one and a yellow/blonde one), so I'd suggest getting two Angela 750's - they have a large skin top and are very thick and versatile, which makes them ideal for this kind of wig surgery.

Mariks_Dragon
02-02-2010, 02:16 AM
I was wondering if any one has the tutoral for how to do this? I am using a coswox wig for my Kaleido Star costume. Do I haft to worry about the wig not taking the dye?

Dal_Segno
02-20-2010, 11:37 PM
I was wondering if any one has the tutoral for how to do this? I am using a coswox wig for my Kaleido Star costume. Do I haft to worry about the wig not taking the dye?

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=57484

Depends on the fiber. Elora wigs tend to be much more difficult to dye, so I don't suggest them for newbies.

:]

2the9s
02-26-2010, 02:47 AM
so ok your probbley getting sick of this topic but i am haveing alittle trouble understanding becus so many ppl say diffrent things. ok so let me get this st8 i can color a wig useing this but it comes out as a tint? so if i use a blonde wig and want to get to a dark blood red this won't work? and can i get a more normal color useing this or does it only work with the cosplay colors like blues and pinks etc.? i'm not so much a cosplay kinda person im a dragqueen so i want it to look like realish kinda hair. oh and say i want to do like a blonde wig with black under would it be better to just put black extentions in it or would this method work for that?

Kukkii-san
02-27-2010, 05:28 AM
For a dark red color, use a red base wig. Always start with the closest lighter shade, but make sure there are no tones in the base wig that you don't want in there (e.g., when you want a pale, toned-down red color, you'd be better off using a blonde or white base wig, rather than a bright, clown red wig.)

You can achieve pretty much any shade you want; however, you cannot dye a wig true black (so yes, you would have to sew black wefts into a blonde wig, or vice versa.)

Also, when you're looking for a natural or otherwise 'common' color, it's always a good idea to do a thorough search before you go through the trouble of dyeing a wig. There's already a huge range of wig colors on the market, including fashionable blended and highlighted colors - pretty much anything a stylist could do with your own hair. (This also includes blonde wigs with black roots or bottom layers, btw.)

Dear Marley
02-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Blarg, stand by for noobishness.

I'm looking to dye a white wig this color (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/yuki-nagato2.jpg).
I'm wondering, would a 7:1 ratio of cool grey to purple lake work for this color? Or should I get a smidgeon of black to darken it? The cool grey seems awfully light...
What would anyone here recommend?

Also, this may seem like an awfully, extremely dumb question, but I'm reading the recipe and the questions, and the recipe mentions full squeezes while the questions mention drops.
Not wanting to cause grievous colorly harm to my wig... I'd like to know which is correct.
<hides from barrage of insults> Thanks much... :walkoff:

Kukkii-san
02-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Link doesn't work, but it sounds like you're trying to achieve a dark greyish purple or something? I'd recommend starting with a darker base wig, e.g. light or medium purple.

Dear Marley
02-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh! Gee. Sorry. >>
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp285/Patheticacy/yuki-nagato2.jpg
There.
It's not very purple at all; it just has a slightly purplish tint. Some pictures don't even have any purple, and some have more. This is mostly the middle of the road.
It isn't all that dark, but I'm sure I will need some black to darken it... but the white wig's been ordered, so I can't change the color of the base wig.

Kukkii-san
02-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I see, a white base wig is fine because it's a pretty 'washed-out' color ^.^

Personally, I'd just do a swatch test to determine the perfect mix ratio before you dye the whole wig.

Dear Marley
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Oh, I certainly intend to! The last thing I want to do is ruin the wig.

Thanks so much for your advice! :]

Ludger03
03-04-2010, 02:00 PM
so i have a short wig that has this color pink. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/yamibakura03/HOTPINK-.jpg

Can I achieve red if the base of the wig is hot pink? I don't want to buy another wig and I have this one stored in a box.
here the character im going to be.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/yamibakura03/img_character_main02.jpg

I wouldn't mind if it gets a dark red since I check the FW ink colors and Flame Red is the choice I'm going for, so just want to be sure if this base color wig is suitable to achieve a color red.

Kukkii-san
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
A deep, bright cherry red should be possible. Buy the darkest red you can get, use a very high concentration, and mix in some brown and grey / black to tone down the pink.

Ludger03
03-04-2010, 08:04 PM
A deep, bright cherry red should be possible. Buy the darkest red you can get, use a very high concentration, and mix in some brown and grey / black to tone down the pink.

concentration as in the amount of droplets right? I read something about using 6 droplets of color. Just asking to be sure and I will try to test it as soon as I buy the colors. Thank you so much!

WARPAINTandUnicorns
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
All I have to say is this method saved me from hand colour my mascot fur details in marker.

It didn't come out 100% even but that's because I had to dye it twice to get the shade I wanted in the end. But I have baby pink short hair fur/fleece that was the right length and texture but not the right colour.

The fabric is dyed a is a murky dark grey/brown that I wanted from the original baby pink. :bigtu:

instantkarma
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
I posted this originally asking for help with Sharpie dye, but someone suggested using FW Ink.

Me sorry for the lengthy -.-

A long time ago, I bought a semi-cruddy China Doll wig at the last minute for a Tokiko Tsumura (Busou Renkin) cosplay (the tag says the fiber is "Toyo Kalon", if that helps any). It's as close to her hair color as I could get, but still a bit too blue and shiny. It's also not the right cut - it's supposed to look like this:

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spi...9a380_full.jpg

So, I bought some extensions from Cosworx with their sale goin' on in the hopes that I could modify the wig into that cut (since it's also close to the cut that Hinata from Naruto and Nodoka from Negima! have). However, the extensions are much closer to a true midnight blue, with a navy-black blend of fibers.

Now, I have four questions before I begin the process of messing with this wig:

One: how do I tone down the blue in the original wig to match the extensions? I was thinking that my best bet would be a dark/navy blue sharpie spray-bottle dye, since sharpie is supposed to be opaque (right?) so a little of the original blue will still show, but be toned down (right?) to match the extensions. Or should I use FW Ink? If so, what color(s)? I stared at the color card for a while, but I don't have a clue...

Thank you so much for all your help in advance! I'm kind of clueless here. I'm not overly attached to this wig, but I did spend a little money on it and I'd like to at least learn some things from it before I utterly destroy it. >.<

Pictures!

Wig in sunlight: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=904810566
Wig in normal/natural light: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=904810566

Extensions in sunlight (as you can see, they're very purple here): http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...a&id=904810566
Extensions in normal/natural light: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=904810566

Wig & extensions, normal/natural light: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=904810566
Wig & extensions, close-up: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=904810566

Wig side: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=904810566
Wig back: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=904810566
Wig front: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=904810566

Out of those pictures, this one is probably the most accurate, color-wise. There are a lot more black fibers in the extensions than there are in the original wig, and the blue in the extensions is more of a navy blue.

Kethry
03-19-2010, 10:23 PM
I have a quick question: hairspray with alcohol will affect the dye job, but will using alcohol-free hairspray work as well for styling-purposes, or is that one of those "just-doesn't-work-on-synthetic-fibers" deals? I've never dyed a wig before, but I'll likely need fairly copious amounts of hairspray for the styling, and I don't want to mess up the dye-work. Thanks!

Kukkii-san
03-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Wig spray is supposed to be alcohol-free or contain less alcohol that regular hairspray, so I guess it would work - never tried it before, actually^^

Regular hairspray doesn't do any harm as long as you set it with a blow dryer (on the lowest setting) immediately, and don't drown the wig in hairspray in the first place. I recommend using freeze spray (Got2B glued) for extreme styles, because it gives a lot of hold even if you apply it sparingly. The dye job may end up looking a little streaky if you style the wig heavily, but it isn't usually that bad at all.

1ofTheCullens
04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
I been looking at some places for FW Ink and none of them have it. Does anyone know where I can buy FW Ink?

Please Help?!:waaaah:

FE Freak
04-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Tried Hobby Lobby or Michaels if you have one? And, you could always order direct from dickblick.com

1ofTheCullens
04-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks so much EF.
Yes I looked and Micheal's and even called around but none of them carry it or
never heard of it before. I will look at this web site and check it out.

Another questions or questions.

Is it good to dye the wig before I cut it or cut it first?
Also what kind of gel would be good to spike up hair?

oslapedo
04-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Michael's doesn't have it, I looked and asked around and they didn't even know what FW ink is.

I guess I'll try buying some online ~

SabienStrange
05-02-2010, 04:55 PM
i've been calling around as well,
and i haven't had any luck with stores like michaels, aaron brothers, and joann's carrying this stuff.
online might be our best bet here.

but anyway, i've got a question about color.
i'm planning to cosplay drocell ( kuroshitsuji ).
the ebay universe is telling me that his color doesn't exist as a buyable wig, so i'm stuck with this method.
here's a reference picture of him (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/Lunatic_Pandora/Kuroshitsuji/drocellcainz4.png)
and here is the wig i plan to dye (http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-base-wig-Changable-milk-gold-cosplay-/260592399255?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cac847397)
i'm not really sure what color his hair is. it looks like a pastel orange... i think?
i'm not sure which ink(s) i'd have to buy to get that color.
( i was thinking maybe that " flesh " color ink and a white to further dilute the color? )

Yui
05-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I have seen a large selection of FW Ink available at Blick Art Supplies. Also the larger Jo-Ann's (at least in the Midwest) do carry a few colors, but not the whole color line. For those in Ontario, Curry's Artists' Materials has it, as well.

☆ KEITA
06-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I recently dyed one of my wigs and when I hand-comb it, the ink rubs onto my fingers. Is that.. Normal? haha; If not, what can I do to fix it. dx

Kukkii-san
06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Rinse, rinse, rinse... until the water dripping off the wig is clear.

Mushinronsha
06-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I posted in the other FW thread a few days ago, and no one's responded yet. I hope it's OK if I try posting it here now.
... for my question, and I promise I've just read all 47 pages of this thread, and all 12 of the FW dye FAQ thread so this shouldn't be a repeat: I just bought two phony ponies, one scrunchi style one clip style, but the color is just too off to wear in public. I have reddish brown hair, and I think this FW dye might be my best bet at making these medium brown hair pieces more reddish. Heres a picture I took of one of them held up to my own hair for reference
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9687/phonypony.jpg
I think the lighting made both my hair and the phony pony show up more red than they look in person, but this should give you an idea of how much the colors are off. Now my first thought is that since Red Earth is a brownish red, that it would be the perfect color to use, but since the piece is already brown should I get a straight red to put on it instead? Like Crimson? Since they are smaller hair pieces and not whole wigs, I'd prefer to not cut off test strands, so if anyone has a thought on this I'd love to hear it!
I don't want to clog up your forums, but I really wanted some advice before I placed my order for the ink. You guys are really creative and talented and I could really use your help.

theZoshi
07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I see that there haven't been responses here for a while, but maybe I can snag someone to help. xD

What I'm going for: Sho Minamimoto (http://www.anaitgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/minamimoto.jpg)

His hair looks like a weird mix of gray with a teeny bit of brown, and maybe a little bit of purple as well. Something like... a deep french gray with a teeny bit of purple tint? I could be wrong about the purple, though. Maybe my eyes are just seeing things...

Now, I've settled on getting the Scruffy-L, but I'm debating whether I should get one in 24 (blonde-ish) (http://shop.cosplay.com/wigs/cosworx/scruffy-l/scruffy-l-24.html) to start off with, or if I should start off with the Violet (http://shop.cosplay.com/wigs/cosworx/scruffy-l/scruffy-l-violet.html) and work off of that?

Either way, I'm planning on mixing Black and Sepia FW ink to get the right color.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D Thanks much!

GhostieAlice
09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I asked in a different thread, but I don't think it was the correct thread.

Anyway, can I dye a blond wig a dark blue? I was going for this color - http://shop.cosplay.com/wigs/cosworx/scruffy-l-midnight-blue.html
I think I would use 'indigo' and 'black'.

cactusmomma
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Adding any kind of black would turn it purple. Even one drop.

Try looking through the shades of ink for India Ink.

I started with this wig: http://i53.tinypic.com/nla0c8.jpg

And went with a bottle of the blue India Ink + 70% rubbing alcohol: http://i55.tinypic.com/30rtwk1.jpg

If I wanted it darker/more coverage, it could be done with more than one bottle and would have made it more concentrated. They run about $3-4 a bottle at Hobby Lobby. Watch out with II..as it is also used for "prison" tattooing...it stains very easily.

lou_lou
10-17-2010, 11:43 AM
does anyone have tips on dying an afro wig. i'm scared to lose the curl.

Alaxz
10-20-2010, 10:08 PM
if the final color is very dark what can I do ??? I dye a white wig to yellow, because I wanna a pale blonde but the result was very yellow! help me please:blubber:!

raNar
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm having a problem that I've never had before with dying a wig.

When I sprayed the wig and let it dry, the color was on the ends of the fibers, but not on the inside fibers of the wig.

I over-sprayed a second time and this happened again. Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this problem before?

I'm going to try and blow dry while I spray tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'm going to wash out and see about trying the bucket/let it sit method.

Kukkii-san
02-17-2011, 04:58 AM
I over-sprayed a second time and this happened again.

Of course it did^^ The alcohol in the 'new' dye dissolved the pigments in the 'old' dye and caused them to run even more badly.

You'll need to strip off the dye completely (put the wig in a ziploc bag with alcohol, rinse, leave to air dry) and start over. This time, I suggest setting the dye with a blow dryer right away (as long as the dye is liquid, it's going to run), and try not to overapply the dye.

One thin coating of dye should be enough to achieve the color you want; if it isn't, you'll need to mix a darker / more concentrated dye.

raNar
02-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Of course it did^^ The alcohol in the 'new' dye dissolved the pigments in the 'old' dye and caused them to run even more badly.

You'll need to strip off the dye completely (put the wig in a ziploc bag with alcohol, rinse, leave to air dry) and start over. This time, I suggest setting the dye with a blow dryer right away (as long as the dye is liquid, it's going to run), and try not to overapply the dye.

One thin coating of dye should be enough to achieve the color you want; if it isn't, you'll need to mix a darker / more concentrated dye.

Thank you for the advice, this is what was going to try today.

I over-sprayed on the parted where the dye really wasn't sitting. I looked a little better after I did this, but the dye still wouldn't stay in those areas.

I've got a white wig, that I'm wanting to make a completely different color, so I'll looking into the more concentrated dye.

I was also looking to see if using 90% alcohol would help it ink settle faster.

YuffieK
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Thank you for the advice, this is what was going to try today.

I over-sprayed on the parted where the dye really wasn't sitting. I looked a little better after I did this, but the dye still wouldn't stay in those areas.

I've got a white wig, that I'm wanting to make a completely different color, so I'll looking into the more concentrated dye.

I was also looking to see if using 90% alcohol would help it ink settle faster.

I just had the same problem! I totally forgot about the hair dryer till I read your posts! I'm dying my Sailor Pluto wig with black dye, and even though I made sure to coat it evenly and thinly, since my wig is so long the fibers just clumped while it was drying D:. I like the effect in some areas (since the blend of both dark green and almost black fibers is what I'm going for~) I'm gonna retouch the areas where the dye seeped off but this time with a hair dryer! :3

Dollsce
04-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Sorry if this question has been answered already, but

I'm going to dye a really really really long wig, and I'm worried about it getting more tangled as I dye it, so I figured I could just use a detangler. I've basically got two questions:

1) Which detangler should I use for the wig? I know Mane N' Tail and 3 IN 1 Spray Lubricant have been suggested for detangling. Does it matter which one I use?

2) Should I dye it and then detangle it, or detangle it and then dye it?

Kukkii-san
04-14-2011, 04:11 AM
Never use conditioner, detangler, or any other styling product prior to dyeing the wig. The dye won't bond well to conditoned fiber, there's a chance it's going to come out spotty.

After you've rinsed the wig, leave it to air dry and apply as much conditioner as you want (for dyed wigs, I recommend Katie Bair's wig conditioner (http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigsupplies_products.html#conditioner) over oil sheen spray). Let it sit for a few hours. Make sure the product you're using doesn't dissolve the dye, though.

Of course, it's better to avoid tangles in the first place ^.^ Work with small sections of fiber at a time, detangle the wig with your fingers every once in a while, use a tall wig stand or (better yet) lay the wig down, like loose extensions when you dye them. This will put less strain on the fiber.

Astro
05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet, I haven't had time to read the entire thread.

Has anyone noticed a difference or ill effects when dying a heat-resist wig? I was also wondering if the stuff comes out of fabric when bleached, in the chance that it were to rub off on my costume.

Thanks!

Kukkii-san
05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Has anyone noticed a difference or ill effects when dying a heat-resist wig?
Depends on the fiber, I recommend doing a swatch test (or buying a wig that is not heat-resistant in the first place). You may also want to do a forum search for the brand / seller to check if anyone has ever successfully dyed their wigs.

I was also wondering if the stuff comes out of fabric when bleached, in the chance that it were to rub off on my costume.
You can avoid this by rinsing the wig thoroughly, but if it does rub off onto the costume, you should try removing the stains with rubbing alcohol first (the same stuff that you use to mix the dye).

Astro
05-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks! I just ordered an Arda wig and I'll probably do a swatch test on it if I have time to dye it (the wig is probably the last thing I'll work on for my costume, as dying it is the least vital)

I was planning on rinsing it quite a bit, so hopefully I won't have an issue with it rubbing off.

ding_bat
05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
There weren't any stores in my area that carried FW ink and I didn't have a chance to order it. I did find Speedball Acrylic ink though, and it seems to be the same make up as FW. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you know if I can use the same mix? Thank you!

Scoti
06-16-2011, 10:20 PM
(DELETED ; answered my own question)

admi
08-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I really hope someone can help me.

i bought a wig that was more white than blond . ( it was supposed to be blond)

So now i need to dye it but i don't know which colors to mix to get the right color ??.

Fw ink isn't sold in Denmark so i can't ask for advice in a art store.

the wig are to be used for a jack atlas cosplay ( yugioh 5 d's)

i really hope someone can help

Kukkii-san
08-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Try Copic Various Ink or another brand of alcohol-based permanent markers ^.^

admi
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
well the problem is the art stores in my town ( and it's even the capital in the biggest part of Denmark) doesn't sell ink ( to my knowledge) and i'm not much for using markers since it's a rather long wig.

what i need help with is chose the fw ink colors to mix to get a blond with a yellow-ish shine

Kukkii-san
08-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Using markers doesn't mean you have to hand-color the wig. You can crack them to harvest the ink if you want to spray dye your wig (see the Sharpie thread/FAQ for details).

But you won't have to go through all that trouble. Look, they do sell Copics in Copenhagen:
http://www.copicmarker.dk/stockist.htm

I'm afraid I can't help you with the FW ink colors, but if you're going with Copic Various Ink, a bottle of Honey (mixed with a little Brown or Warm Grey maybe) should do^^

admi
08-08-2011, 08:34 PM
ohh didn't know i could do that ^^

i think i will try the copic various ink

many thanks for the help ^^

Kukkii-san
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Det var so lidt ^.^ Good luck with your project!

clockwalk
09-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Is there any way to remove the dye from a wig once it has completely dried?

kareylynn
09-17-2011, 01:14 PM
I just bought a clearance wig and want to dye it black. Am I crazy? Here is the wig.
http://shopi.cosplay.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/i/wisp-144-front.jpg

I am using it for Rukia, since the style and length of the wig is right...but the color was wrong. But for $12? I hoped I could make it black and use it!

dangodango
09-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I just dyed a wig with FW ink, and it won't stop bleeding. I have washed it five times now, and it doesn't really pour out in the water but when I run my fingers through it the dye comes off and when I rub fabric against it it also comes out. Worried because my costume is white...

Is there anything else I should do, or do some wigs just never stop bleeding? Is the wig done for? :(

Kartos
10-11-2011, 11:33 PM
clockwalk, it might work if you soaked it, especially in alcohol. I doubt it would come completely out, but you could maybe bring it to a lighter tint?

kareylynn, I doubt you could get it black black using this method. If you never rinsed it out, perhaps it might stay dark, but you run the risk of it getting black on anything it touches.

dangodango, maybe you had a lot of ink in there? Is it the color you wanted? I know when I dye my own hair, it takes many washes to come off clear. (I dye my hair black, and when I put in red streaks, it always adds a little red tinge to the water) Try soaking it. In theory you could put a spray sealant on the underside, but I honestly have never tried that. If you think the wig is done for, you could always try? :rofl:

I personally have a super pale blond I colored slightly darker last year with FW, and now just colored red on the bottom using a Prismacolor marker (alcohol based). It's a bit crunchy, but I might refrain from washing it out on account of how vivid the color is.

LunaSquee
11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Ok, so i posted in a separate thread, but i still have questions about dyeing multiple colors on one wig. It goes from darker colors on top to yellow on the bottom. Do i dye the bottom layer (yello) first? let it dry, rinse, dry, then do next layer? I;m paranoid about the colors bleeding or looking muddy. Heres a link to my post, sorry if this is wrong to link, but noone is answering my questions about fw ink method
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=258400

Also, I was thinkin about buying this wig, straightening it a bit, and dyeing it. Would this wig work?http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heat-Resistant-Curly-White-Long-Cosplay-Wig-791001-/160540508912?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item2560f5c2f0

Dawnpaw
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM
wheee i found out about this because I wanted a wig cause my hair is t short for the style I want and apperantly its also to weak to dye. So can somebody please answer my questions!?

1) what synthenic wig is best for coloring and if theres a specific store chain that holds them.\

2) umm I want to do multi layers like this http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/Twilight45-/awesomehair.jpg so a guide will be nice hehe

3) where can i get a cheap like 5 dollar wig for practice

i can't think of anything else...

Zayn-kun
06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks so much for putting this up here, i only wish i had seen it before i started my first dye attempt.

I have a long blonde wig which i'm attempting to dye parts of dark dark brown but its not working out D:
I hadn't thought about the alcohol striping away previous coats so i've done about 3 (letting the wig dry and rinse inbetween), and the color is no where near as dark as i would like.
So now my question is do i completely strip out all the dye and start over or should i just proceed with a much darker dye mixture?

i was using antelope brown mixed with midnight black fw ink (a total of 8 squirts in 1 cup of 70% iso alcohol)

Seismogenic
08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I have what's hopefully a quick question about using Various Ink to color a wig.

The character in question has dark green hair. I found a wig that's the perfect style, but it doesn't come in the proper color. I have the option to get a bright neon green one, or a white one. Which do you all think would be a better base color, given that I have Various Ink in exactly the color I'm going to need?

Thanks!

Kartos
08-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Neon is going to give you a neon undertone no matter what, so I would avoid using that. The white will never give you a dark green color. It would be best to purchase a dark green wig. Honestly in your shoes I would look at http://cyperous.com/english/

carnival
09-23-2012, 08:49 AM
I wish I had looked at this thread before I dyed my wig. XD; The only problem I had was going through more then one bottle... and it says on the FAQ that you need only one. My wig wasn't really long (it goes a little past my shoulders). Is there a certain way you spray it...? Is there a video demonstrating it? I think when I try it again (it didn't come out the right color), I'm going to section it off by layers so the color reaches every nook and cranny. The first time I did this, there were quite a bit of missed patches. ><

BloodyHatManiac
12-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi! I plan to dye a 150 cm long wig using the FW technique. But I am a bit thoughtfull on how many bottles of rubbing alcohol I will need to dye the entire wig.
I live in sweden so we do not really have rubbing alcohol but we do have somethings similar. One bottle contains one litre of rubbing alcohol (might be an important detail to mention)

aelitameier
11-23-2014, 12:33 AM
I've heard some stories about people using the white FW ink to lighten colours but in some of those cases the dye/ink didn't hold and a lot of people speculated it was because of the white? I have to get a pale pink shade onto a white wig but I'm worried that the process magenta on its own will be far too dark and that adding white will make the dye job spotty.

anyone have any experience with using the white ink to lighten other ink colours?