PDA

View Full Version : Is the Yuna costume overdone?

mix_em_up22
07-03-2003, 08:56 PM
I have no idea how to use this vB stuff *ahhhh* Anywhoot! I am trying to get an early start on my costume for the upcoming Nan Desu Kan... I'm a big procrastinator, and it is easier on my wallet. But so far I'm set on being Yuna this year. Is it too much of an overkill since there were so many of her last year?:confused:

Sarcasm-hime
07-03-2003, 09:14 PM
It depends on your point of view on cosplay in general. Personally, I prefer to stay away from frequently-cosplayed characters, but that's coz I like the challenge of making a costume that hasn't been done. On the other hand, if all you really care about is dressing up and having fun, go for it. ^_^

Koumori
07-03-2003, 09:21 PM
All that matters is what you think. Some people will roll their eyes and say "Oh, another Yuna." If you're cosplaying to get attention, you might want to do a less common character or one of the X-2 models. If you're just dressing as Yuna because you want to dress up and you like the character/costume, then don't let the Yuna-influx stop you.

I tend to play popular characters myself.

linzie chan
07-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Go for it XD!

rainbowflavored
07-03-2003, 11:17 PM
do what you want! if you have your heart set on yuna, go ahead! i don't really mind seeing the many yunas because her outfits (from ffx and ffx-2) are so beautiful and its interesting to see how people go about making it.

duck
07-03-2003, 11:24 PM
I love seeing pictures of a whole bunch of Yunas! It's always so cute.

Besides, I think she is very spiffy - so go for it if that's what you want to do.

I personally would like to do Trainer Yuna from FFX-2 someday...someday...

!*Jessi-Chan*!
07-04-2003, 12:54 AM
I say 'GO 4 IT!' I...tend to not cosplay characters that are done freq., but if you do your Yuna well, you'll get attention, if that's what you seek!

IDrewFelix
07-04-2003, 01:55 AM
Yes go ahead, Yuna's awesome. If you're really feeling bothered by too many yunas, do the X-2 variant like Koumori said.

lunasreincarnat
07-04-2003, 01:55 AM
i think its way over done but if u do a differnt wand that no one has done before then its cool

DarkMgcnGirl
07-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Personally I do stuff not because it's done and not done ... I myself am doing a Yuna costume cause I love her character and such.

Dun worry about if there's a whole bunch or not. *smiles*

Raine
07-04-2003, 03:40 PM
This subject has been brought up many, many times. The responses are always along the lines of "Who cares if it's overdone? If you want to do it, then go for it!" and I, personally, think that this is wonderful advice ^____^

mix_em_up22
07-06-2003, 06:35 PM
thanks so much for all your replies! *smile* It really helps relieve some pressure since this is going to be my second convention and cosplay attempt in my entire life! Thank you again for all your help and suggestions!

marsie
07-07-2003, 08:47 AM
First this is an Anime Costume Thread....This Should have gone in Game Costumes....-.-;

But, Who cares if it is over done? No one will say anything to you unless they are jerks. Do what you want and have fun.

PZB
07-07-2003, 01:06 PM
THis is just my opinion on the whole "Overdone" idea - (and it seems to be what everyone else is saying as well.) Why let what other people are doing control what you choose to cosplay? The only thing you should do is try to make it your own. I saw a Yuna at AX this weekend with a different staff, and that certainly gave her a different look. I'm eventually going to do Lulu, but I'm just going to make sure I make it my own. :D

Garuda_Aiacos
07-08-2003, 12:38 AM
Okay, this is based on what I saw last Sunday at our local Cosplay Event (CosFest):

FFX-2 Yuna Superstar = We had 5-6 of them!
FFX-2 Yuna = 1
FFX Yuna = 1-2 (2nd later stripped into Yuna Dark Gunner)

Verdict: Try to aim for her other wears other than the Superstar/Singer.

Just my 0.02. ;)

Mouse
07-08-2003, 12:13 PM
In my eyes, there's no such thing that's overdone. Every person is different, everyone thinks in a different way, therefore it's impossible to have two costumes exactly alike. Even though there might be ten other popstar Yunas, everyone interprets pictures and design in a slightly different way, you might have different fabrics or the pieces might be joined in a different way. But there are never, ever going to be two costumes that are exactly alike - every costume is original.

RyanW
07-26-2003, 02:07 AM
I don't respond to a lot of these "overdone" threads, because cosplay is more about fufilling your own fantasy. Besides, we've done one or two costumes that might be considered "overdone", if not for all the work and original elements we threw into them.

But I get so tired of seeing Yuna, and Gunner Yuna. Everybody and their sister want to do Yuna and Gunner Yuna. Yuna was boring when she came around the first time, and if you ask me the only reason anyone cosplays as her is because you can see her very easily, in-game, and get the details of the costume. It's kind of a no-brainer. *Making* the costume, well, isn't a no-brainer. But with the hundreds of interesting characters in the final fantasy series, who cares about Yuna? Christ, Umaro had more character than Yuna.

My personal opinion is that people like to cosplay as characters they identify with, but I can't imagine that ANYONE identifies with Yuna, who is quite possibly the most boring Final Fantasy character of all time (With the exception of Squall).

FFX2 is coming, and there'll be a TON of costumes for those three girls. I want to see some crazy-ass Yuna costumes. And if someone wants to do Yuna or Gunner Yuna, that's their choice and I'll be happy to see it. Just please get a wig if you're doing Yuna. Having medium length brown hair doesn't cut it.

But like I said, if you want to do it, do it and be happy. Just make sure you're challenging yourself and not just doing what you think everyone wants to see.

DarkGunner
07-26-2003, 02:26 AM
OK, I think this goes for all "overcosplayed" costumes. If you like the character, go for it. Don't let the fact that a lot of people are going to be wearing the same thing stop you from wearing a costume you would like to wear. If you want to make yourself stand out, be sure to be a stickler for details and act confident in the way you present your character. Sure, there are a lot of Yunas out there but in about a year a so, they will start dying down cause there will be new FF characters to cosplay which will be overcosplayed. I find that more recent games and anime have the "overcosplayed" costumes. If your looking to cosplay Yuna but would like to stay away from "overcosplaying" then cosplay one of her many outfits from FFX-2. In the end though, cosplay because you like Yuna and forget the fact that many people have cosplayed her.

mix_em_up22
10-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I'm sure if I decide to cosplay as Yuna, I'll do it in a confident and original manner! Danke!

I've actually looked at some pretty cool costumes from FFX-2 for next year's convention! I'm kinda a newbie... but I absolutely LOVE making these costumes! I'm going to do alot of detail on this next outfit! Wish me luck!! :)

Thank you again for your very helpful advice!

lainey
10-24-2003, 07:51 PM
RyanW, that's your opinion.

Yuna is a great character and I feel that I can relate to her.

I myself did a gunner and popstar, but I'm retiring my popstar. I was shocked by the 3 other popstars there at the con i went to recently...
even though i felt mine was the most accurate, i wasn't all too happy.

but i am haha...making a wedding yuna and summoner yuna O_o

maybe by the time i wear summoner yuna, there will be less since everyone wants to do X-2.

and there aren't too too many wedding yuna's ^_^ and it's pretty ^_^

Cait
10-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Yes, Yuna is overdone. Personally, I will always regret making that costume.

spike007
10-25-2003, 12:04 AM
i dont think there can be too many yunas or chii's perhaps thats cause im in love with em !!!

fffanforlife
08-06-2006, 12:47 PM
EDIT: nm this post is really really old lol

SaltySlippers
08-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I have to agree with what everyone is saying.
You can't let what other people are going to say change who you want to cosplay. It's not them who is going to put all that time and effort into a costume.
I think it's always nice to see another person cosplay a popular character, you get to see how they made it and such. ^_^

wooahh. I just looked at the date of when this was posted. Haha, sorry as well!

Shelke
08-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I think that you should cosplay who you want. I mean, who cares if everyone does. This is gunna sound really friken cheezy but whatever: If Yuna holds a special place in your heart (wtflmao XD XD XD), then do it.

I dunno if that made any sense whatsoever...
.............................................whate ver just go for it. XD

Raouken
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Cool thing about Yuna is that she has so many costumes. Sure, Summoner, Songtress and Gunner Yuna are overdone, but she has so many more cool dressspheres! If you love the character and worry about being yet another Yuna, why not do one of her not so overdone costumes? Unlike many other overdone characters, Yuna's design gives you that possibility, so I'd say use it ^___^

Gale
08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I've done two Yuna costumes so far...both times I was far from the only one, but when I was a Songstress in '04 there weren't any other songstress Yunas...

Check in the video game cosplay section for more info though. There's an entire folder dedicated to FF games.

Lady Arieta
08-08-2006, 11:23 AM
If you wanna be a total original, choose a costume that hardly anybody remembers. I chose to go as White-Mage Yuna and boy did I get alot of attention o_o;;;; and I wasn't even aiming for that much >_>;; but yea, sure she has other outfits from Final Fantasy X-2. I just chose a simple one because I tend to be the healer during RPG online games.

fffanforlife
08-08-2006, 12:14 PM
heh im doing gunner because its my first time cosplaying and im doing this for school so i wanted to do one that alot of people know who it is and is pretty easy to make.

but.. who cares wat people think.. if like it do it.. so what if somethings over done.. that jst means people really like it.. impluse u dont know how many people are doing costumes that people think are original.. just because they not on cosplay doesnt me that they arent being done.

Yunri-Chan
08-08-2006, 01:12 PM
*nods* Yuna-san's probably THE most popular cos, especially Summoner, Songstress & Gunner. I remember my first cosplay was Summoner Yuna, and I'm doing Songstress for my next. I'm also going to try out Wedding Yuna when I'm 17 (and more experienced X3), and see how that goes. A lot of ppl's goals are to cosplay every single dressphere (16, right?) of Yuna, which is a big feat. As people have said before, it's always a good idea to cosplay one of the less popular dresspheres (Berserker, Samurai, etc). You'd still get a lot of attention, if not more, since you'd stand out amongst the other Yuna's. :)