PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen: movie and comic

Pages : [1] 2 3

Juego
07-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Since there's no current thread and the movie preview just hit the theaters, I thought I'd start something up!

So, who is putting together Watchmen stuff?

I know it may become an overdone costume, but I've decided to put together a Rorschach cosplay before the movie is released. I'm basing most of it on his outfit at the end of the comics -- outside the base -- though I may take a few color cues from the movie photos that have been released so far.

I've got all the clothing on its way and plan to appropriately weather and bloody things up -- just about every Rorschach I've seen so far is too clean! While I wait for things to arrive, I'm doing some little accessories - the sugar cubes and calling cards.

Hopefully I can throw this together before Otakon, but it may have to wait for D*C.

So, anyone else? Especially if anyone is brave enough to do Dr. Manhattan (and not wuss out and wear a tux ;) ), lol.

Ironekilz
07-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Since there's no current thread and the movie preview just hit the theaters, I thought I'd start something up!

So, who is putting together Watchmen stuff?

I don't have time to do it this year for DC, but my boyfriend and I are planning on cosplaying Silk Spectre and NightOwl (comic versions not movie versions) for next DC. He's never cosplayed before and I aim to corrupt him. ;)

I'll be on the lookout for your Rorschach and any other Watchmen costumers though.

Kesra
07-24-2008, 07:02 AM
And what an awesome preview it was! I've not read the comic...though my hubby and I own it. I'm afraid if I read the comic, I'll hate the movie no matter how kick ass it is. ><

insight_blue
07-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh good topic! I've been thinking of cosplaying Watchmen ever since the preview came out. I'm a girl, but Rorschach is one of my favorite characters ever, and I'm debating cosplaying him at Megacon. I'm glad others are thinking the same thing. I'd love to see Watchmen cosplay!!

Juego
07-24-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't have time to do it this year for DC, but my boyfriend and I are planning on cosplaying Silk Spectre and NightOwl (comic versions not movie versions) for next DC. He's never cosplayed before and I aim to corrupt him. ;)

YES! As much as I liked the movie trailer, I was rather disappointed in seeing what I consider too "modern" costumes for Night Owl and Silk Spectre. Clashes a bit with the 80s setting.

And what an awesome preview it was! I've not read the comic...though my hubby and I own it. I'm afraid if I read the comic, I'll hate the movie no matter how kick ass it is. ><

Read it! And then, read it again! Seriously, it kicks enough ass to stand on its own if the movie sucks.

I've been thinking of cosplaying Watchmen ever since the preview came out. I'm a girl, but Rorschach is one of my favorite characters ever, and I'm debating cosplaying him at Megacon.

Go for it -- by nature of his costume design, he's an easy enough crossplay (guess it helps that he is short, too, lol). Then we can be dueling Rorschachs. And um, have a sugar cube eating contest or something. Hurrrr...

insight_blue
07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
That would be excellent!

I really think he would be easy enough for a girl to do because he is short, and your face and hair are totally covered, so you don't have to worry about looking too girly.

Juego
07-31-2008, 05:02 AM
Well, I learned today that it takes 2 RIT dye (dark brown) cycles in the washer to get a 50/50 cotton/polyester trench to the same tan shade that's in the comic. I've got a before/after pic here (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1642114/).

Next, I'm fine-tuning the grunge/age job on the wardrobe, then will take care of the mask and small props I intend to bring. (No grappling gun this time...)

Kesra
07-31-2008, 06:16 AM
Read it! And then, read it again! Seriously, it kicks enough ass to stand on its own if the movie sucks.

I fully expect the comic to rule...I'm just afraid of the fact that if the movie is awesome, I'll be too blinded by the bias of how seriously awesome the comic was that the movie would never live up to it.

Ironekilz
07-31-2008, 06:34 AM
YES! As much as I liked the movie trailer, I was rather disappointed in seeing what I consider too "modern" costumes for Night Owl and Silk Spectre. Clashes a bit with the 80s setting.

I was especially disappointed in Night Owl's Batman-esque costume, but maybe they'll look more appropriate in the context of the movie.

Anyway, nice job on the coat! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished version.

aavlee
07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
I've been seriously considering going Dr. Manhattan for Wondercon... Maybe for the Masquerade? Haha, not sure if I have the guts to shave my head though. A bald cap might be an option... I think I'd opt out of the speedo and go for maybe some fitted shorts. The big question is footwear, maybe some sandals?

penny_dreadful
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Ha ha, I was wondering when one of these was going to show up. A little surprised it wasn't sooner!

Not actually doing any Watchmen costumes but I'm hoping to see some quality costumes come out as a result of the movie. The Silk Spectre and Night Owl costumes may not suit the 80's aesthetic, but with any luck some people will choose to do the comic costumes instead.

And if you haven't read it-- read it! Even if you wait until after the movie, and I'm pretty certain the movie can't capture all the little nuances of the comic, it is absolutely a classic and deserves your attention.

Juego
07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been seriously considering going Dr. Manhattan for Wondercon... Maybe for the Masquerade? Haha, not sure if I have the guts to shave my head though. A bald cap might be an option... I think I'd opt out of the speedo and go for maybe some fitted shorts. The big question is footwear, maybe some sandals?

If you flip through the comic, you'll see that Dr. M's "costume" devolves from a full bodysuit to total nudity. There's probably a variation somewhere that suits your modesty.

I'm always impressed when people go the distance to shave their head... but if you go the bald cap, be very careful to blend in that seam and make sure your body makeup matches well.

As for footwear, check the comic -- he might have shoes at one point, though I think Dr. M ditched footwear once he got to the shorts stage of his incredible shrinking outfit. If you go flipflops, look for (or alter) some in blue. And then take them off for photos?

penny_dreadful
07-31-2008, 01:23 PM
As for footwear, check the comic -- he might have shoes at one point, though I think Dr. M ditched footwear once he got to the shorts stage of his incredible shrinking outfit. If you go flipflops, look for (or alter) some in blue. And then take them off for photos?

Yeah, I'm always a little iffy about going barefoot when you don't have to. It's... not the best option for anyone involved. So flip flops! You can always kick them behind you for pictures, and if someone catches you before you can get them off... hey, at least they match.

Juego
07-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I'm always a little iffy about going barefoot when you don't have to. It's... not the best option for anyone involved. So flip flops! You can always kick them behind you for pictures, and if someone catches you before you can get them off... hey, at least they match.

Yeah, ditto on barefoot when it isn't the beach or whatever. But ever since this question has popped up, I can't get the image of Dr. Manhattan wearing blue jelly flip-flops/sandals out of my head.

Just... just for the love of god, no crocs! I don't care if they come in blue!

penny_dreadful
07-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah, ditto on barefoot when it isn't the beach or whatever. But ever since this question has popped up, I can't get the image of Dr. Manhattan wearing blue jelly flip-flops/sandals out of my head.

Just... just for the love of god, no crocs! I don't care if they come in blue!

NO CROCS EVER.

Although now that it's also in my head, I'm trying really really hard not to picture Dr. Manhattan in those jellies I thought were the most amazing shoes ever when I was like five... Possibly it would look something like this (http://members.tripod.com/~imogiri/stephan_texas_in_blue_sarra.jpg)?

fightstar
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
What no Comedian? Someone has to be planning the Comedian?? I don't have the look to pull him off or I would do it. I mean sure the guy is A morale, but you still need a good Comedian out there. That and an Ozymandias. :toothy:

aavlee
07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Haha, these are an idea? Paint the shoe to match?
http://www.popgadget.net/images/barefoot%20shoes%202.jpg

Ironekilz
08-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Actually I think those would work great! And I'd definitely go for something like this over body makeup; you wouldn't even need a bald cap, just some face makeup: http://www.amazon.com/Bal-Togs-Complete-Body-Unitard/dp/B0002UQIMM

Juego
08-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Well, I was pleasantly surprised how good my ghetto mask looks (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1645162/). Only drawback is that it looks silly on the top, so I always need to keep my hat on.

For anyone who wants to make a Rorschach mask on the cheap:

Materials:
*one pair each of white and black tights
* black Sharpie marker
* needle and thread

1) Cut the legs off the tights. Unless they are really large, you'll only be able to get your head through the pelvic area.

2) Your mask will be two layers - black on the inside and white on the outside. Turn the layers inside-out and stitch up and holes you don't need.

3) Sharpie your design on the white layer. You will have an easier time if you stretch the fabric. Note that your final design will look VERY large, so make it smaller than you think.

Remember to test the Sharpie on some scrap, first, so you get a feel for how it bleeds. Also, put some cardboard underneath the white layer you are inking to control bleeding as well.

4) Cut out eye holes in the black layer and finish the edges so things don't fray. Ideally, your mask design has black over the eye holes.

The end result runs about $6 and an hour or so of your time. So, you can conceivably make a few different masks to swap out during the day!

Syrinx
08-04-2008, 11:52 PM
*feels silly* i totally just posted a seperate thread about getting suggestions on Rorschach's mask... and then found this thread. well anyway, Juego.. your idea is wonderful and your mask turned out perfect. thanks!

Juego
08-05-2008, 12:17 AM
*feels silly* i totally just posted a seperate thread about getting suggestions on Rorschach's mask... and then found this thread. well anyway, Juego.. your idea is wonderful and your mask turned out perfect. thanks!

;)

Keep in mine my design is a bit ghetto - you'd do a better job with a proper pattern from scratch (especially if you want to take your hat off). But, 2 pairs of tights work in a pinch!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-08-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm so glad this thread EXISTS! yay
I finished reading the comic the other day. Mind you i wasnt even born when it was released and just learned about it last year *shame on me* It. was. EPIC. I'm quite hesitant about the movie since the comic was so much win (and i cant wait to reread it. just got to catch up on my manga)

But i will be cosplaying the second Silk Spectre - movie version. Sorry, but the comic version is just not a good design at all. The fact that i only have like 3 decent shots of the movie version will cause some inaccuracies, but i'm always willing to fix it up after the movie release.

Plan to start it after i complete a couple of other projects and it will be for the movie release, Comic Con, and Dragon*Con -all next year- ^_^

Technoir
08-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Well, apparently I've gone completely crazy. I'm hoping to cosplay Silk Spectre (II), both versions, for a con next Spring. (A con that's like a local D*C.) And I guess I'll wear the movie version for the premiere. I'm not quite sure how I convinced myself to do it, the comic version especially, but we'll see if I have the guts to do it when it comes down to it. That said, I refuse to start making either one until I lose some pudge. >:| I'd rather avoid being laughed at on... certain other websites.

I've got two friends doing Nite Owl as well. One's doing the comic version, and I figure if he can build up the confidence to wear spandex, I can build up the confidence to wear... nothing. And the other's doing the movie version -- he's certainly got his work cut out for him with that. I'm not even sure how he's going to do it, but I told him he'd better start now if he wants to get all of that leather quilted before the Spring. Hahaha.

Anyway, wall of text. XD Just throwing in my name, and I'll be keeping my eye on the thread.

PS: Juego, I already nerded out over your costume elsewhere, but seriously, your Rorschach is the best I have ever seen. You're really going the extra mile with it, and it certainly shows. I'm excited to see it when it's actually finished, since it already looks fantastic.

paper cosplay
08-10-2008, 10:26 AM
what about the watchmen's older heroes the 30s heroes masked justice dollar bill

RaaBee
08-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Was Dollar Bill ever shown? I was possibly thinking of doing the Silhouette, but I wanted to see the movie version first.

Technoir
08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Here's all of the Minutemen era characters in the movie. (http://www.superherohype.com/imageGallery/Watchmen/Movie_Stills/large/hr_Movie_Stills_16.jpg) I have to say, Silhouette and Dollar Bill do look pretty fantastic.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-10-2008, 04:25 PM
As far as MinuteMen, they're just so old school looking (haha.noduh) that their designs dont really appeal to me. (and farcry, i think the link is broken). But if Silk Spectre I didnt have that hair, i'd totally look into it.

Been researching my Silk Spectre costume a lot. I'll go with a black wig since it'll go better with my skin tone then trying to find a decent brown. I just used a 2-way stretch vinyl for my Yoko (TTGL)costume and i might use the same fabric for this costume.

The Peregrine
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM

I'll be on the lookout for your Rorschach and any other Watchmen costumers though.

Avast! There's going to be a Watchmen meetup at DragonCon this year, Friday, 11am, Marriott Bar. I was the comic version of SS last year, reprising it this year...the more the merrier!

The Peregrine
08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I fully expect the comic to rule...I'm just afraid of the fact that if the movie is awesome, I'll be too blinded by the bias of how seriously awesome the comic was that the movie would never live up to it.

There's too much material in the comic to fit into a two hour movie, even if you presume it could all be successfully translated. The movie will in no way approach the experience of reading the book. The most likely scenario is that the *movie* will ruin your enjoyment of the *book*, not vice versa. Read it now!!!

The Peregrine
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
But i will be cosplaying the second Silk Spectre - movie version. Sorry, but the comic version is just not a good design at all.

Haha! So true! One of the least attractive costumes in the history of comics. But I'm glad the updated version retained the vulgar V motif, since that was the whole point. No pun intended.

Juego
08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
PS: Juego, I already nerded out over your costume elsewhere, but seriously, your Rorschach is the best I have ever seen.

D'awww, well, thanks! I didn't get a chance to rough up the seams of my coat for Otakon, but I have time before D*C. Plus... extra masks!

And awesome for doing Silk Spectre, plus good luck on movie Nite Owl to your friend. And I thought I had some crazy movie stuff on my list. ;)

what about the watchmen's older heroes the 30s heroes masked justice dollar bill

I think a Minutemen group would be rad. I have an urge to do MothMan, but I'm sure most folks would confuse me for Arthur from The Tick. But, if there was a group...

Avast! There's going to be a Watchmen meetup at DragonCon this year, Friday, 11am, Marriott Bar. I was the comic version of SS last year, reprising it this year...the more the merrier!

Woo hoo! I'll try to be there -- I'll be the bloody coat Rorschach.

Unholymigit
08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
This thread is amazing! I want to cosplay Rorschach so bad for ACEN this year!

Juego your costume is amazing! how did you get those awesome stains on your trench coat Id love to know.

*edit*

forgot to ask Juego where did you get your trench coat at? and how much was it?

prototype138
08-15-2008, 08:20 AM
What no Comedian? Someone has to be planning the Comedian?? I don't have the look to pull him off or I would do it. I mean sure the guy is A morale, but you still need a good Comedian out there. That and an Ozymandias. :toothy:

I was going to do the Comedian for Halloween, because my fiance is going as Rorschach, but I opted to go another route. If she recycles Rorschach for a Nightmare Before Christmas party in December, I'll probably do the Comedian for that. (If I can pull of that scar to my satisfaction)

Also, I have to unanimously agree that Juego's Rorschach is brilliant. I'd also love to ask about your trenchcoat, as I'm putting together her Rorschach for her, and everything I've found is either all wrong, cheap looking, or Burberry and way out of my 'mess up for a costume' budget.

Juego
08-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Juego your costume is amazing! how did you get those awesome stains on your trench coat Id love to know.

forgot to ask Juego where did you get your trench coat at? and how much was it?

I'd also love to ask about your trenchcoat, as I'm putting together her Rorschach for her, and everything I've found is either all wrong, cheap looking, or Burberry and way out of my 'mess up for a costume' budget.

Thanks for the comments, guys, I really appreciate them!

First, the bad news -- the trench is indeed a Burberry. By a stroke of supreme luck, I found one on ebay in my size and for only about $80. Which is INSANE (they retail for over $1k).

Remember, you can dye any trench if it is part cotton. So, mainly look for one that is double-breasted and has epaulets. I actually need to alter my trench to make it shorter -- Rorschach's coat ends around the knees.

Now the good news -- Blood/grime effects are pretty easy. For overall grime, I put brown RIT dye in a spritz bottle and sprayed the coat. The blood stains are done with layers of watered down acrylics in various mixtures of rust and brown. Just take the coat outside and drip paint all over it. :D

Sarcasm-hime
08-15-2008, 10:36 AM
LOL yeah I always hated the comic Silk Spectre costume. The movie one looks extremely difficult to reproduce, though - looks like latex, which is a b*tch to work with, plus there appears to be a separate latex corset on top of the bodysuit. :P

I'm virtually exploding with excitement since the previews and stills look SO great (and so close to the comic), but I do feel that the actors look way too young and in-shape for the characters; they're supposed to have been retired for years while Laurie looks like she's maybe 25, tops. I guess they couldn't swing a pudgy Nite Owl with the producers. LOL

prototype138
08-15-2008, 11:24 AM
First, the bad news -- the trench is indeed a Burberry. By a stroke of supreme luck, I found one on ebay in my size and for only about $80. Which is INSANE.

Yeah, I had a feeling your coat was pretty top-shelf, and that you either spared no expense, or just happened to have one around.
I doubt I'll find a deal like that, so thrift store combing I go. LOL, maybe I'll find one with the grime already on it.

Technoir
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I guess they couldn't swing a pudgy Nite Owl with the producers.

From what little I've seen of Dan out of his Nite Owl costume, he IS pretty pudgy. I think him looking thin might just be an effect of the costume. Because he looks pretty dang chunky in this leaked picture. (http://i33.tinypic.com/wwakc6.png) Patrick Wilson's rear is definitely looking pretty wide there, LOL. But I do agree that most of them look really young.

And yeah, movie Silk Spectre is going to be a complete nightmare. >:| I'm allowing myself plenty of time, since I haven't ever worked with that type of material before. What a project to start with, huh?

Are -you- cosplaying anything from it, though? That would be fantastic.

Plus... extra masks!

That's going to be hilarious, if not just for the reactions of people who'd seen you earlier with a different face. Haha.

Also, a Minutemen group WOULD be pretty rad, you guys. D8 DO IT. (Please.)

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I was thinking movie SS was maybe pvc vinyl...Thats what i was going to use for mine, but latex DOES look cooler...

Anywhoot, i decided not to wait until i make my movie SS costume to have a Watchmen costume (which i should start in Dec as a christmas present to myself) Sooo, theres a small, first year comic convention happening here in Oct - on the 31st of all days - and I've decided that I should do Rorschach since i really want to do that costume and he's awesomes (and crazy)

Here are some questions:

1. How does one see in the mask? And what about breathing? I pretty much know how to make the mask thanks to this thread, but i dont think i know how to see out of the mask.

2. The hat is a fedora? correct...?

Juego
08-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Here are some questions:

1. How does one see in the mask? And what about breathing? I pretty much know how to make the mask thanks to this thread, but i dont think i know how to see out of the mask.

LOL, everyone wants to know how Rorschach sees! :toothy:

I made my mask from 2 layers of nylons. The under layer is black because doubled-up whites still showed my features. (The problem with this is that the mask isn't as stark-white as it could be. But I'll take it over my features showing.)

The outer layer has the inkblots drawn on with Sharpies -- the inkblot needs to go over your eyes for the best effect. The inner layer has the eyeholes. Visibility is pretty good (I could walk without aid and read the con booklet in good lighting), though I had slight problems with dark stairs.

Breathing is fine. But the Sharpie ink will start to spread after a few hours and make the mask look grungy, so it's really a one-day accessory.

I'm actually about to experiment a bit with a luchadore-type mask I got. The inkblot is stitched on and the eyes are mesh. I'm hoping that with a layer of black tights inside over my eyes + my hat brim shadow will hide the eyeholes.

2. The hat is a fedora? correct...?

Ebay and thrift stores are your best bets for the hat and trench. Since I kept getting sniped, I got a cheap, small brimmed fedora from villagehatshop.com (http://villagehatshop.com), though the color and crown are kinda off-model. (I could probably tweak the crown to look correct.) I made the hatband myself.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-15-2008, 09:02 PM
I was thinking about using mesh for the inkblots, but i wasnt sure how that would work out. Maybe i'll fool around with a couple of things and find out which works best for me. I really like the double layer thing. I had completly forgot about not having my features showing *pokes chipmunk cheeks*
It feels so good to be cosplay Rorschach. Its my first masked costume and i'm SURE i'm going to get people thinking i'm male...which will be fun when i talk or something. haha. I've crossplayed before, but hardly believeable as a male. This should be fuuun.

Juego
08-15-2008, 09:05 PM
I was thinking about using mesh for the inkblots, but i wasnt sure how that would work out. Maybe i'll fool around with a couple of things and find out which works best for me. It feels to good to be cosplay Rorschach. Its my first masked costume and i'm SURE i'm going to get people thinking i'm male...which will be fun when i talk or something. haha. I've crossplayed before, but hardly believeable as a male. This should be fuuun.

If you're short, you already have an edge on me. ;)

Also, a tip for the trench -- still wear a suitcoat underneath to pad out your shoulders. That'll help with the crossplay. (Me, I've just got boney shoulders, lol.)

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm about 5'7''. Not exactly 'short'. lol
And oooo, you're just full of tips arent ya! Maybe if i wear those many layers i wont even have to bind (cause binding is the bane of a crossplayers existence)

Sarcasm-hime
08-16-2008, 12:05 AM
And yeah, movie Silk Spectre is going to be a complete nightmare. >:| I'm allowing myself plenty of time, since I haven't ever worked with that type of material before. What a project to start with, huh?

Are -you- cosplaying anything from it, though? That would be fantastic.

I dunno, probably not. 40s Silk Spectre isn't really my thing, and new movie SS is too much hassle for me to really want to bother since I already have like a billion costumes on my to-do list, and they're pretty much the only women in the story. :P

Unless I were to wear a sari and go around drawing pictures of Cthulhu. LOLZ

I still have to make my Legion of Superheroes costume (Shikari, who doesn't even exist anymore, damn their endless reboots) now that I finally have a turquoisey-green wig.

GabrielDarkhawk
08-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I too am geeking out over the level of awesome of the movie stills and just the amazing level of detail with the production as well (they have in-cannon BOOKS in the character's houses! @_@), not sure who I'd want to be though...

I may consider a rorschach at some point, though that would be WARM for a summer con but nice and toasty for Halloween or a fall con. :)

Technoir
08-17-2008, 05:27 AM
I have a request for the Rorschach cosplayers, because I just noticed something. Please make this mask variation (http://i37.tinypic.com/2j49b37.jpg).

Why?

:3

I can't unsee it.

GabrielDarkhawk
08-17-2008, 09:31 PM
@ Far Cry: XD I just noticed that too...Happy Rorschach!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-17-2008, 09:34 PM
haha. I love other Rorschach mask variations!

Looks like i might have to put off the Rorschach costume...Dont you all just hate when college starts back and all your money seems to be drained away... -cries-

Satallgees
08-17-2008, 10:05 PM
you guys are forgetting that though Walter Kovacs is short, Rorschach wears platform shoes, refer to where they arrest him for proof. And about the sharpies, why not just cut out holes in the white half then sow the two together to keep it together. That way, you don't need to worry about the bleeding

Juego
08-18-2008, 01:26 AM
I have a request for the Rorschach cosplayers, because I just noticed something. Please make this mask variation (http://i37.tinypic.com/2j49b37.jpg).

Why?

:3

I can't unsee it.

Hee. He makes a version of that face near the end when he shakes hands with Daniel, too. :3

you guys are forgetting that though Walter Kovacs is short, Rorschach wears platform shoes, refer to where they arrest him for proof.

True, though I doubt that would get him to, say, 6'. I'm 5'11" and feel I'm too tall by a few inches.

And about the sharpies, why not just cut out holes in the white half then sow the two together to keep it together. That way, you don't need to worry about the bleeding

Well, my mask was a question of time - I had very little of it. Plus, you are really only cutting eyeholes, not the entire inkblot. I'm not sure how well you could pull off an appliqué-style inkblot using only nylons/mesh.

The problem is making the mask look entirely featureless, even under harsh lighting. I've tried a luchadore/zentai style mask where the inkblot is an appliqué with separate mesh eyeholes. Unfortunately, the change in fabric between inkblot and eyeholes is too much and noticeable under flash. :(

So, back to the Sharpie masks for me. Though I'm looking forward to making multiple inkblot designs.

GabrielDarkhawk
08-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Just a thought, for Rorschach mask eyehole problem, would making the entire inkblot out of doubled up mesh work? Then it should be opaque enough to not see features and still have some visiblity...hurm...

Technoir
08-19-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure if this is "on topic", but I thought I'd post it anyway. I'll delete it if I need to, since it's not -exactly- cosplay-related.

Bosses at Twentieth Century Fox have launched a legal battle to block the release of new comic book movie Watchmen.

The film, based on the comic books written by Alan Moore, is due to hit cinemas in March 2009.

But the release has now been thrown into jeopardy after chiefs at Fox filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming they bought the rights to the series in the 1980s - and seeking an injunction against rival studio Warner Bros in a bid to halt the picture.

A spokesman for Fox says the company will be "asking the court to enforce our copyright interests" and urging the judge to stop the release of the movie and "any related Watchmen media that violate our copyright interests in that property".

A representative for Warner Bros adds, "We respectfully disagree with Fox's position and do not believe they have any rights."

From here. (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0553149/)
And a more in-depth article here. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1)

Most importantly, from the second link:

Fox's legal team says it isn't looking for monetary compensation and instead wants to prevent the big-budget film from being released altogether.

I certainly hope it doesn't go through, and I doubt it will, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see how everything turns out. :/

fightstar
08-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Far Cry - No this is appropriate. Lets hope the legal system will work this out. In truth they, FOX, want money. This is a tactic that business and corporations do to get $$ out of people. See Spike Lee vs. Spike TV to name one of MANY.

On to the costumes. Glad to see a group of folks doing this and getting it together. Wish I had more screen shots of some characters, but in due time. Good luck on your progress everyone.

:rockon:

Last_Chael
08-20-2008, 07:16 AM
I've not yet read the comic, but my friend is going to lend it to me to have a gander over.

One of my friends is going to be working on a Silk Spectre costume for a costume group viewing of the movie next year. i wasn't that interested in the costumes until she showed me a pic of Silk Spectre 1! OMG! It's perfect for me! I love all things vintage and I love superheroes, so a super with a 40's hairstyle = love :D Plus she has a corset, so that just seals it for me!!

Don't know if I'll get around to it, but I'm going to tentatively put it on my to do list for whenever the movie comes out. It looks like a really fun costume, and just totally my thing :P

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
completely off topic, but, had my first day of classes today and I'm an english major taking a popular fiction course. Our final project has to be to defend/argue a work of popular fiction and how its just as vaulable as canoical/classical fiction. Guess what i'm choosing :) Watchmen! I know its graphic novel, but i'm sure my professor will let me since its a different approach. So nothing set in stone, but i'm already excited.

*cough* On topic:

Far Cry: whoa! That's like big news. Thanks for informing us *goes to find out more*

Aaaand, movie Silk Spectre -will there be a movie now *cries* - will be worked on soon! I'm excited. Still wish i could pull off Rorschach but money is tight and time is short

GabrielDarkhawk
08-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Just some more speculation on the Watchmen legal stuff from aintitcool: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38002

@ Jessi: We studied V for Vendetta in one of my Lit classes. :)

Hrmmm are there any more females in Watchmen besides Silk, Sally, the indian painter, aaaaand Silhouette? ^^;; Think I may try to pull together a Rorschach for the movie premiere...or a fall con.

Juego
08-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Hrmmm are there any more females in Watchmen besides Silk, Sally, the indian painter, aaaaand Silhouette? ^^;; Think I may try to pull together a Rorschach for the movie premiere...or a fall con.

Do Silhouette! We need more minor Minutemen! ;)

A buddy just asked me for help on the Comedian's 'Nam outfit. Hopefully we'll get it done in time for D*C!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
@ Jessi: We studied V for Vendetta in one of my Lit classes. :)

Isnt it AWESOME when professors are cool like that? lol

But i dont think there are that many females in Watchmen. At least not many that people would recognize when wearing a 'costume'. There's the lesbian couple as well as Walter's Pyschologist's Wife...but clothes are pretty regular and ordinary...not enough to stand out at any convention. So the ones you named are pretty much the ones that will be known/recognized.

prototype138
08-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Well, I learned today that it takes 2 RIT dye (dark brown) cycles in the washer to get a 50/50 cotton/polyester trench to the same tan shade that's in the comic. I've got a before/after pic here (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1642114/).

Next, I'm fine-tuning the grunge/age job on the wardrobe, then will take care of the mask and small props I intend to bring. (No grappling gun this time...)

I finally found a 'near' perfect trenchcoat, but I believe I may have slightly overdone the blood on it. Nothing too gruesome, just more than I'd like.
Do you have any advice on how I might tone it down a bit? I used 'Wine' and 'Cocoa Brown' RIT.
Do you think the RIT brand Color Remover would work? My original color was pretty much spot-on, so I don't want to bleach it.

Juego
08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I finally found a 'near' perfect trenchcoat, but I believe I may have slightly overdone the blood on it. Nothing too gruesome, just more than I'd like.
Do you have any advice on how I might tone it down a bit? I used 'Wine' and 'Cocoa Brown' RIT.
Do you think the RIT brand Color Remover would work? My original color was pretty much spot-on, so I don't want to bleach it.

I've never worked with the Color Remover, so I don't know there. But you could try just putting it through the wash and seeing if the color fades. Make sure it dries completely, too, before you assess the color.

prototype138
08-22-2008, 01:49 PM
I've never worked with the Color Remover, so I don't know there. But you could try just putting it through the wash and seeing if the color fades. Make sure it dries completely, too, before you assess the color.

Yeah, my first run through barely stained it at all, so I think I went a little too hardcore on my second attempt. All in all, if I can't get it right, it doesn't really make a huge difference. I'll put it through a good soak and see what happens.
Thanks!

CreepyUncleLee
08-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I've already decided to put Dan dreiberg's Nite Owl on my my list for the movie premeire if fox doesnt get WB into court,personally I hope fox drops the rights feud and wont try to pay off ppl in WB to leak the movie b4 it comes out

I finished the series today like 35 minutes ago

my friend wants to sear latex together and fill it with ink so it moves just like they explained in the comic

prototype138
08-31-2008, 05:44 PM
my friend wants to sear latex together and fill it with ink so it moves just like they explained in the comic

I've contemplated this at length, but I can't see how it would be feasible. Even if you could work out the logistics of keeping two layers of latex parallel with liquid between them (considering gravity's action on the liquid), there is also the human needs to see and breathe that must be accounted for.
That being said, I hope to demonstrate something fun in my fiance's Rorschach costume pretty soon. :)

CreepyUncleLee
09-01-2008, 12:25 AM
I've contemplated this at length, but I can't see how it would be feasible. Even if you could work out the logistics of keeping two layers of latex parallel with liquid between them (considering gravity's action on the liquid), there is also the human needs to see and breathe that must be accounted for.

I remember there being sneakers that had the same effect and just cuz its latex doesnt mean that completely leaves the wearer blind and airless,and besides like I said I finished reading the book like a day ago so have yet to finish pondering the idea

I still wanna try and see if its possible and i mean its still feasible,its called imagination.

so has Night Owl been accused of being batman yet in this thread? He's just nice batman and Rorshach is just the goddamn in the goddamn batman,but I am rather enjoying that smiley face picture of rorshach

prototype138
09-01-2008, 12:04 PM
so has Night Owl been accused of being batman yet in this thread? He's just nice batman and Rorshach is just the goddamn in the goddamn batman,but I am rather enjoying that smiley face picture of rorshach

I believe Nite Owl is actually based on Blue Beetle, and Rorschach is The Question. I think I read that Alan Moore was originally going to use the Charleston Comics heroes for this story, but DC didn't want them used for this type of adult story. I'm glad, as I think it forced better characterization out of him, in Rorschach in particular.
Side note, Dr Manhattan would have been Captain Atom.

gov3nator
10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Juego, you are the man. I've been in the process of making my Rorschach costume and have randomly stumbled upon this. I was in the process of experimenting with two different masks, one of nylon and one from the material from a toga costume. The toga wasn't form fitting but all I had needed was one layer and would be very easy to sharpie in whatever inkblot design I had wanted.

I'm going to a party on friday and am going to make a prototype mask following your design. For halloween I may go all out depending on how much time I have with school and such. I'll try to get some pictures.

Right now I'm just having a hell of a time finding a fedora to simply match my trench coat color. I'm thinking if I dye the trenchcoat I may experiment with dying a fedora. Anyways, thank you for all your help. I have to say your Rorschach has blown away every other Rorschach costume I've seen done online. Your idea for using RIT dye was absolutely brilliant.

Perfect Tommy
10-23-2008, 09:39 AM

comedian here... finally i`ve got most of the stuff together. it could use some more work on the belt and i`m thinking of doing another fetish mask, on that is closer to the form of my head, but other than that i`m almost finished and already i`m starting to think about doing a rorschach especially after seeing juego`s perfect rorschach.
i think the hardest thing there will be the suit. where can i get a purple suit with stripes???

Kung_Fu_Candy
10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm planning on doing Silk Spectre (II, movie version) for the midnight showing of the movie (whenever that may be now, with all the awful studio dramu T___T) and the summer con season! I'm really nervous about making the leotard thing (I guess that's what you'd call it), but I'm pretty excited too!

Juego
10-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Juego, you are the man. I've been in the process of making my Rorschach costume and have randomly stumbled upon this. I was in the process of experimenting with two different masks, one of nylon and one from the material from a toga costume. The toga wasn't form fitting but all I had needed was one layer and would be very easy to sharpie in whatever inkblot design I had wanted.

I'm going to a party on friday and am going to make a prototype mask following your design. For halloween I may go all out depending on how much time I have with school and such. I'll try to get some pictures.
:awesome: Thanks, man! Make sure you're using my updated tutorial (http://www.cosplay.com/journal/1472/) (in my Rorschach costume diary) with the double-layer of white.

Right now I'm just having a hell of a time finding a fedora to simply match my trench coat color.
Ditto. My hat is too dark. If I find one in that tan shade, I'll post a link.

comedian here... finally i`ve got most of the stuff together.
Dude, major props for doing the gimp mask!

i think the hardest thing there will be the suit. where can i get a purple suit with stripes???
Oof, that's tough. Off the top of my head, only zoot suit like places would probably carry the shade, but the cut would be way too baggy. I'd be curious if one could end up tinting a thrift-store find and keep the pinstripes looking ok.

When it boils down to it, though, technically, you only really need the pants. As long as you keep the trench buttoned, you can get away with a normal jacket. (And I do advocate wearing a jacket under the trench even if it isn't seen -- it keeps your shoulders looking broad.)

In this case, look around to see what Joker cosplayers use (try ebay). You can also try Hot Topic or Urban Outfitters, as they are likely to carry pants in this unusual color.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
10-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm planning on doing Silk Spectre (II, movie version) for the midnight showing of the movie (whenever that may be now, with all the awful studio dramu T___T) and the summer con season! I'm really nervous about making the leotard thing (I guess that's what you'd call it), but I'm pretty excited too!

YAY! Another Silk Spectre II costumer. I hope to start mine in December. I dont know if i'm "brave" enough to wear the costume to the midnight showing just because there isnt a big comic following in city [although there is a first year comic/anime convention happening next weekend...we'll see how that goes]. Since there isnt a lot of people that probably KNOW Watchmen around here, i'm sure no one would get why i was dressed that way. OR prehaps they've all seen the awesome new trailer and will recognize it. Idk. It would be better to wear it if i was in a group, but i wont be...I'm the only cosplayer in MILES around here. The closest cosplayers are like 2-3 hours away o.o

Shichi
10-23-2008, 10:13 PM
W00t W00t for you Silk Spectre II gals. :D I'm thinking of doing it for the midnight show also, not sure if I'd do the comic or movie version. D: From what I hear though, I'll have some time to decide...

gov3nator
10-25-2008, 02:05 AM
My attempt at Rorschach.

http://www.mine-dog.net/files/ror1.jpg

http://www.mine-dog.net/files/ror3.jpg

Other person is a friend of mine going as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It's not the finished product, but the general look I'll have. Will attempt to dye a different trench coat and the fedora. Still looking for purple pants, have to try local hot topics.

Technoir
10-26-2008, 04:06 AM

Oo, another Texas Watchmen cosplayer. D8 We need to plan for some kind of gathering for next summer, as it looks like there's quite a few people around here planning on doing Watchmen cosplay for next year. I really wish that guy who's been talking about working out to do Dr. Manhattan would post here or something, so we can see/hear about his progress. As far as I know, he's the first to do it.

Also, speaking of which. This costume really kicked me into gear as far as working out and getting more toned up. I figure if I'm going to walk around mostly naked (comic version) and/or in tight latex (movie), I probably shouldn't be assaulting people's eyes with my stomach chub and stick legs. Haha.

Though, really, more and more I'm considering doing different characters from the comic. Not quite sure who, though I've thought about doing Silhouette. Also thought about doing Walter with his The End Is Nigh sign, but for once, I don't think I'm ugly enough for it. LOL.

/ramble

Unrelated, but. Juego, I know I pester you all the time, but seriously. Thank you for being so helpful around various communities. You always answer, with great suggestions, and like... within hours, and I'm sure people appreciate it. I sure do! (I promise I'm not just kissing ass, I just know that people very rarely get thanked around here.)

Sooch
10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I really wish that guy who's been talking about working out to do Dr. Manhattan would post here or something, so we can see/hear about his progress. As far as I know, he's the first to do it.

Wish granted. Things are progressing well so far. From this weekend till Christmas is going to be my biggest weight gain period, then I'll shed the fat I'm sure to gain from New Years till March and reevaluate where I'm at. I may not make it to movie Manhattan levels but I'm confident I can pull off comic Manhattan well in time for Dragon*Con. I found a really nice looking, unfortunately really expensive body paint that should last at least 4 days and supposedly is UV reactive, gonna see if I can't add some stuff to make it glow in the dark as well. (Looked at day glow for awhile but that would be insanely expensive and have to be reapplied every 8 hours) I've started doing monthly progress pictures to track what I'm doing but so far very little change, but like I said, it'll start coming together in the next 2 months.
Personally I love the fact that Rorschachs are popping up left and right, gives me more targets to terrorize, haha.

Side note, I knew you were in Texas, but had no idea you were in Houston too, awesome.

Same-nin
11-09-2008, 03:22 PM
What no Comedian? Someone has to be planning the Comedian??

*raises her hand* I am, but it's a different version. ^_^; I'm still keeping it true to his morales by having the mass amounts of weapons and body armor and hopefully to get some kind of cigar thing. The only change will be that he is well... female. Yes, I'm going to cross that line and make the most manly character in Watchmen a woman. *dodges the flaming and rocks*

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-09-2008, 05:37 PM
*waves at Same-nin* Hi, it's the Silk Spectre II from the Katsu Watchmen thread! Whoot!

Anyone know where to buy latex? And what is the difficulty scale of working with it? ALSO, bodysuit patterns...anyone know one by chance?

Randomly, i'm doing a research paper on Watchmen. I hope that i also expand that paper into my Senior Thesis. It's EXCITING

Cerisa
11-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Jessi-Chan: I think Kwik Sew has some good catsuit patterns, along with leotard ones. Just find which one you think'd suit you best on their site and the pattern shouldn't be too much of a problem, though there's the black corset-looking part to deal with if you're doing the movie version. As for latex...not too sure on that front. That seems to be the hardest material to find for apparel, I think. There's stretch vinyl for an alternative, but you'd have to find a type that wouldn't peel and shred easily too. Since vinyl and other 'slippery' fabrics are said to be hard to work with (you'd need a teflon foot, tissue paper or something to keep it from sticking), I can imagine latex would be QUITE sticky.

The high-necked leotard style could work, but it's made for two-way Lycra so I'm not sure how latex would work with it (http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3502&QL=MissLeotards)

Catsuit pattern with a high-necked view and front zipper (http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3052&QL=MissLeotards)

^Perhaps one of these? Not sure how well they'd work in the sewing department, as I'm not catsuit-savvy, but appearance-wise, it's what came closest.

Same-nin: Do it anyway, I'm sure it'll be an interesting...variation XD. As long as you're doing the black leather and not the yellow-and-purple clown suit, it'll probably turn out great regardless of the "Comedienne" swapping.

=

I'm another eventual Silk Spectre II cosplayer here, planning to do the comic version, as skimpy as it is underneath, but with the low skill level I've got now, I figure it'd be a lot easier to do than working with latex/vinyl for the movie version. I think I've got a pattern for the overdress bit that I could alter some, though the question is, since the yellow overdress appears to be made out of a sheer (possibly organza-esque) type fabric, how would one go about making the dress so you can put it on and take it off easily? Elastic seems like it'd be kind of iffy to use for the neck of it, since it'd be such a thin material, and I'm not sure if a zipper in the back would work either for the material. I figure the black part can be done from an altered bathing suit or leotard pattern, just extend the "V" neckline and extend the openings for the back and sides (not too much though, sometimes accuracy's gotta be sacrificed for practicality). But when I think of putting the dress on over it, my mind blanks on how I'd be able to slip it on and off ;^^

I'm trying to decide on a wig that'd look similar enough to Laurie's hairstyle, too, though some styling may have to be involved (the "S" earrings are another detail to try and figure out). It's funny, she's not one of my favorite characters, yet I feel the need to want to try and make her costume and cosplay her anyway. I did consider Silhouette, but there's not too much in-detail reference for her outfit, and then there's Aline, who's hard to get good reference shots (in regards to coloring, since the novel has a lot of different colored 'lighting' in scenes) for hers.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
oooh Cerisa you're a lifesaver. I was thinking about using vinyl as an alternative. I have worked with it before and actually live the fabric so i think it would be easier for me to deal with that.

I was also thinking about the comic version because its easier then the movie version, but i cant get over how i dislike it. haha. Prehaps i'll try my hand a making that version though since it is far easier. And, like you, she isnt my favorite character, but the "only" female. I crossplay, but just can bring myself to crossplay any of the Watchmen males. As for the S earrings, prehaps you could make them out of clay?

I also thought about Silk Spectre I. But her hair baffles me! I just want me a Watchmen costume. lol

prototype138
11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/167128/

Haha, this is my wife. She was a little too intoxicated to bother with the mask for the most part, especially both layers of it, so it's see though at points. It also bled a bit from all the putting on and taking off, but she had fun.
The mask... Grah grah...
"Initially, I planned this costume with a morphing mask. I found a black-to-white thermochromatic acrylic paint in the UK, and ordered it. I got all the neccessary supplies, put it together the night of, and it looked great at first. Then, after the first color shift, it only slowly shifted back, taking on a mottled grey appearance that is totally bogus. I was heartbroken. In any case, I'll take and upload some video of the original mask shifting color."
I just pasted that from the costume link because I'm lazy, lol.

Same-nin
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Same-nin: Do it anyway, I'm sure it'll be an interesting...variation XD. As long as you're doing the black leather and not the yellow-and-purple clown suit, it'll probably turn out great regardless of the "Comedienne" swapping.

Yeah, I'll be doing the black leather version this time, but I do have a good idea to make a female version of the yellow and purple clown-ness. (Yellow baggy midriff shirt and short skirt over purple spandex complete with jester belt and combat boots anyone? ;) )

GabrielDarkhawk
11-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Any Rorscachs out there have tips for finding purple pinstripe pants or his gloves (if they're purple as I seem to recall they were)? Thanks. :)

Juego
11-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Any Rorscachs out there have tips for finding purple pinstripe pants or his gloves (if they're purple as I seem to recall they were)? Thanks. :)

For the pants, just stalk the Joker cosplayers. ;) (Seriously, look for ebay auctions for them.)

Rorchach's gloves seem to me to be more of a black leather -- they're colored as purple sometimes due to the palette, but remember that purple in comic book land is also shorthand for shiny black.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
11-16-2008, 07:34 PM
this Watchmen paper is eating my soul. Never ever analyze your favorite things. I just got done trying to figure out how Dan cant get it up unless he's Nite Owl o.O My mind went to strange places.

Anyway, I agree that Rorschach's gloves seem to be like black leather and not "purple-ish"

GabrielDarkhawk
11-16-2008, 07:47 PM
For the pants, just stalk the Joker cosplayers. ;) (Seriously, look for ebay auctions for them.)

Rorchach's gloves seem to me to be more of a black leather -- they're colored as purple sometimes due to the palette, but remember that purple in comic book land is also shorthand for shiny black.

Good point on the gloves. Silly comic highlights. XD Hooray, gloves will be easier to find now! I may go thrift shopping for clothes come next year ^_^

Does anyone know what style of hat his is? Is it just a fedora or something else? A trilby?

Same-nin
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM

Actually, i am Joker cosplayer (with purple, well they're not exactly pinstripe pants) and I got my pants in Hot Topic admittingly... You can look there for them or other places I like to go are thrift/salvation army shops.

NoTsOsErIoUs
11-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Finally got round to nearly finishing mine.
Just need some city grime here and there on the coat.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1819970/

Juego
11-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Looking good, man! Nice to see the right shoes. :D

Just don't forget to pop that left epaulet if you're crazy-pants Rorschach!

Same-nin
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Oh wow, once you put the grunginess on the costume it's going to be epic! :bigtu:

Perfect Tommy
12-02-2008, 07:50 AM
i`m working on a rorschach costume...well, who isn`t these days? after 2 worthless trench-coats i bought at ebay(one was too big the other too long and thick) i finally received the third and right tench-coat today...the cut is how i wanted it all along...the only problem is that it consists of only 35% wool and 65% polyester...i was planning on dyeing it dark brown...but now i`m not sure if this will work.

has anybody any experience with dyeing?

Dom Santiago
12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Actually, i am Joker cosplayer (with purple, well they're not exactly pinstripe pants) and I got my pants in Hot Topic admittingly... You can look there for them or other places I like to go are thrift/salvation army shops.

UGH! Don't tell me Hot Topic is now selling Heath Ledger Joker-Clothes!

Really? Have they no shame? Having useless merchandise for every Johnny Depp movie ever is one thing. But to take a truly talented actor who's no longer with us, and make him a marketing tool to gothic teens and adults with no lives is just sickening. I hope they burn in hell.

Juego
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
i`m working on a rorschach costume...well, who isn`t these days? after 2 worthless trench-coats i bought at ebay(one was too big the other too long and thick) i finally received the third and right tench-coat today...the cut is how i wanted it all along...the only problem is that it consists of only 35% wool and 65% polyester...i was planning on dyeing it dark brown...but now i`m not sure if this will work.

has anybody any experience with dyeing?

Synthetic fiber blends will dye lighter and may have issues in the washer. I dyed my trench, which took 2 runs in the washer to get to the comic book tan color. The lining got chewed up, but the rest of the coat was ok.

If you are really nervous, dye by hand instead of using the washer.

Last_Chael
12-17-2008, 04:50 AM
I also thought about Silk Spectre I. But her hair baffles me! I just want me a Watchmen costume. lol

Bahahah that's the reason I AM doing the Silk Spectre I costume :P I have to admit I haven't actually gotten around to reading the comic yet (mostly because I'm too poor to buy it at the moment) but I fell in love with her costume the moment I saw it. That and about 4 of my friends almost simultaneously told me I HAD to do it :P What can I say I'm a vintage nut :P I wear my hair almost exactly like that all the time anyway :P Except without the fringe. Though I'll be getting a fringe when I wear this costume.

My hair is black though (dyed, not natural) but hopefully no one will notice! So looking forward to doing this costume as it is soooo up my alley :D

Satine
12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
JAs for latex...not too sure on that front. That seems to be the hardest material to find for apparel, I think. There's stretch vinyl for an alternative, but you'd have to find a type that wouldn't peel and shred easily too. Since vinyl and other 'slippery' fabrics are said to be hard to work with (you'd need a teflon foot, tissue paper or something to keep it from sticking), I can imagine latex would be QUITE sticky.

Latex is glued along the seams rather than sewn as there is no fabric backing :) I have been debating between making this costume from PVC or latex. I may go the PVC route as it breathes better! The seams in the suit allow for some air to pass through and the fabric layer allows for some wicking of moisture away from your body which helps keep you cooler.

I suspect the II costume to be made from a mixture of molded and sheet latex because of the way it sits and pulls in places. I think the gloves are molded as it is super fiddly to make sheet latex gloves and possibly the stockings too. Both of those you can buy anyway and cut to shape.

Megx
01-17-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm working on a Rorschach costume for my friend and a Nite Owl costume for myself. I don't know why, but the idea of crossplaying Nite Owl amusing the crap out of me. I know I'm going to have far too much fun with this :D

GabrielDarkhawk
01-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm going to try and put together a Rorschach for the premiere. :) We'll see if I can get the supplies in time!

Soulcrux
01-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm working on Rorscach too. He's totally overdone, I know, but he's the only character I really like and/or identify with. The other one would be Nite Owl II, but I am not that good at making things with cloth, let alone latex and plastics.

Anyway, I'm planning on getting this done by the premiere of the movie and then maybe wearing it to Comic Con If I end up going. Right now I'm shopping around eBay for trenchcoats and feadoras. I always hate having to shop on eBay since juggling all the different prices and variations of the things you're looking for and keeping in mind the prices and...T_T
Anyway, I really hope that the trenchcoat I could end up getting looks close enought.
And...then I guess I could just get some cotton dress gloves at my local military store and die them a black/purple shade and buy the chef burgundy pinstripe pants on Amazon.
Scarf should be relatively easy to make...

I really wish I could find a fair priced purple pinstripe jacket...alas.

GabrielDarkhawk
01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
@ Soulcrux: Thanks for another lead on pants! The only ones I found were some skinny jeans on Hot Topic that were purple/black.

Going to see what I can find price wise for the pieces...I may put Rorscach on the back burner if budget issues come up, but we'll see. I'd rather get him done right, but still not break the bank, then done so-so and have to do pieces over.

Cerisa
01-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Ooh been a while since I've seen this thread ;^^ I think by now, I should get started on the comic Silk Spectre costume, though Jo Ann not having the chiffon I want is rather annoying. Might have to wind up pattern-drafting for the dress part, the leotard part could probably be done from altering my one leotard pattern. Her shoes are looking trickier to find than I thought, it's funny when things look so easy but turn out to be real chores to get.

I was reconsidering the idea of Aline, since she's not in the film and it might be fun to cosplay one of the minor characters in the novel (plus her jacket's pretty neat), but then I realized I'd likely have to take major liberties when it comes to the hair. I'm looking at the style again and it'd require me shearing a bunch of hair off, leaving bangs and enough to tie into a bun, and bleaching it all. I was then thinking I could possibly get away with a short blonde wig and knot-top bun attachment, but I'd probably have to make the bun since clip-on knot/buns seem so hard to find online. So I think for now, Silk Spectre II's the more likely of those two ideas, hah.

Satine: Oh man, I figured something wasn't too right about the idea of sewing latex. Though I've never really seen costume latex around or worn anything with it, so I wouldn't know about the construction. PVC does seem like it'd work easier though.

And in general: Anyone see those awful Watchmen Halloween costumes that the Rubies company is producing? So bad they're hilarious, especially the Ozymandias and Nite-Owl ones. The Silk Spectre one looks close, but still no cigar XD

Soulcrux
01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
And in general: Anyone see those awful Watchmen Halloween costumes that the Rubies company is producing? So bad they're hilarious, especially the Ozymandias and Nite-Owl ones. The Silk Spectre one looks close, but still no cigar XD

Oh god, yes don't remind me! I haaaate Rubies. They totally screwed up the V costume..I mean I'd never wear a costume made by a company anyway but It still bothers me that other people wear them...they're usually soooo bad. Although, the halloween costumes seem to be at least good for obtaining a decent Nite Owl mask (even if it isnt that good looking) but everything else is just...ugh

TETSUYA_CASSHER
01-28-2009, 09:51 AM
http://blog.costumecraze.com/

Why the humanity must destroy another movie by shameless merchandising

:mad:

Soulcrux
01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
http://blog.costumecraze.com/

Why the humanity must destroy another movie by shameless merchandising

:mad:

At least the Silk Spectre costume is okay. Definitely still sexy :P. But the Nite Owl, Ozzymandis and Comedian costumes are horrible. Rorscach is very poorly done too.

Alythi
01-29-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm working on an Ozymandias costume, following the comic, not the movie, and would love any suggestions possible. It's more of a concept right now and i have no idea where to start

Soulcrux
01-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Really good deal on a Burberry trench coat. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=110341978260

I already won another item so unfortunately I cannot continue to watch and bid on this one...but I'd be happy to pass along the info to fellow Rorscach-ers! :D

RobinDragonryde
02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
So, my boyfriend and I have decided to cosplay for the midnight showing of the movie. He's going as Ozymandias and I'm going as Rorschach. First of all, thanks a million for all the Rorschach-mask advice on this thread, it's really helpful. Now I just have to decide on which inkblot to use. =P

What we really need advice on is Ozymandias. Namely:
1. where to get gold tights?
2. how to do the shoes?
3. how to do the gauntlets?

(luckilly, we're in Louisiana and it's Mardi Gras season. Lots of purple and gold stuff to be found, just have to figure out how to make it into a decent costume in a month.)

ETA: Whoops, he doesn't wear gloves. Makes my job easier.

Ama Uzume
02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Hopefully, one of my friends is going to make a Silk Spectre (comic) for me. If not, I created a shirt to wear to the premiere.

Complete with a 'The End Is Nigh' sign.:bigtu:

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Ama: Thats an excellent idea! I am pretty sure my Silk Spectre II (movie)wont be done by March 6th so prehaps i'll just make a tshirt. Ah, this sure takes me back to highschool when i used to sit around and paint tshirts for me and all my friends. lol.

Coranz
02-07-2009, 03:34 AM
I am another Silk Spectre I costumer...I love it!
I loved Silk Spectre II Comic version, though I will say she does have her mother's hips...
Last_Chael gave me the idea really, and also the fact that I love the Silk Spectre's...they rock :D

Though if I could be one of the male characters I would sooo be The Comedian...Him and Rorschach are soo my fav characters!!

I started on SSI's overlay today choosing Shirring as the option to give the gathering at the top of the neck-line...I am making it abit different...I am making the Top and the Skirt separate, and making the Waist Clincher and the corset into one...
Its going to be fun...:D lol

Coranz

Jersey
02-07-2009, 07:37 AM
I am currently working on my Silk Spectre II costume. :)

Gaku_X
02-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Hopefully I can get my fiance into a Rorschach costume by the premiere.
Not sure what I'm going to do yet.Maybe Twilight Lady?

Coranz
02-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I haven't seen anyone making Silhouette...her movie costume is awesome :D I am aspecially a fan of her shoes...me=shoe fan...

Coranz

Technoir
02-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Piping in here again, haha. Plans ended up changing. I'm still doing a bunch of Watchmen cosplay this year, because I am a huge nerd. But ended up going with less complicated stuff than what I'd originally planned.

My friend and I are doing casual clothes Dan and Laurie (http://i42.tinypic.com/1tn0i0.jpg) for a small local convention later in the year, just for fun. And I'm probably making Silhouette for SDCC now. Because I love the Minutemen, and some of my friends might be cosplaying a few of them for SDCC.

I started working on Twilight Lady as well, with the intent of wearing it to the premiere and tormenting other costumed people, but it's looking less and less likely to be done on time. It'll probably get put on the back burner and just finished whenever, it's a pretty simple costume.

Coranz
02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I finished the Neck-Piece on SSI today...I am adding eyelet at the back...I can't find a good pic of its back as its covered by her Hair, so its what I have picked to do...lol

Plans do have an annoying tendency to change...I have changed my mind about soo many costumes...lol

Coranz

Soulcrux
02-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Man, this thread sure did suddenly jump start! :P

I finally got most of my stuff now...Went out and bought some tights...(had to order the white ones on eBay tho...for some reason they didnt sell any white ones in any of the stores I went to) and got my Trenchcoat in the mail today. I already had gotten my hat, gloves and pants previously.

Now i just need to dye my coat and make a new mask. The first one didn't turn out so well...not only did I cut the eye holes in the under-masks too big, but I didn't do a good job at drawing the blot in and it looks sloppy.

Now my only problem is actually wearing it to the premiere. My dad is intent on talking me out of it, cuz he's worried that either some cop or security guard is going to tell me something for wearing a mask in public when it isnt Halloween (which is apparently illegal. dont get it...masked criminals are going to wear a mask when they do the crime anyway...) or that some "guys" are going to beat me up or something. I dunno...growing up in Culver City seemed to make some impression on him...:P.
He even tried to bribe me with money and a trip to The Beverley Center in order to get me out of it! XD. I dunno...

Here's a development shot:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3381/3261916107_e60bfa461e.jpg

As you can see..the mask isn't very good. You can see alot of my eyes and eyebrows. Of course you can never really blot your eyes out perfectly since tights are made out of really stretchy fabric...but yeah. Sharpie work was sloppy :P

Coranz
02-08-2009, 01:58 AM
@Soulcrux: ooo Looks awesome! :D maybe going over the sharpie with black paint would help with the mask...I dunno...lol

C

Soulcrux
02-08-2009, 03:08 AM
@Soulcrux: ooo Looks awesome! :D maybe going over the sharpie with black paint would help with the mask...I dunno...lol

C

Yeah, thanks! I think I'll try putting paint on the blot everywhere but my eyes

TrinCroft
02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm actually on my way out the door to go get fabric for Silk Spectre I. I'll be doing both movie and comic versions of the costume. I'll probably do the comic version for the opening of the movie. (I think the actress is wearing a wig in the movie? It kinda looks like it to me in the close up.) Anyway, I'm dyeing my hair for the costumes and will be taking them to Dragon*Con and maybe wearing one of them at Otakon this year. The comic version's hair baffles me... but I'm more than willing to go spend a few hours at the library in the fashion stuff and learn how to do it. :D My boyfriend is going to be the Comedian for Dragon*Con and hopefully my little brother will send me his measurements so he can be Nite Owl II with us.

Revolver Ocelot
02-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I wanna work on A Rorschach cosplay
but I have no idea on what I will need...
if you guys can help me compose of a list I'm sure I can get all them items and make the ones that I need...

Coranz
02-10-2009, 01:10 AM
@TrinCroft: Yay for another SSI!! I am using "Sun" Chiffon for mine...as my local didn't have Canary Yellow...then of course after I started, I found a place that stocked it...lol Can't wait to see progress :D My Progress can be found on the link in my Sig...lol

@SoulCrux: Tell us how it turns out :D

@RevolverOcelot: Well, the main things would be a Mask, the one in the movie is made from screenprinted Lycra...the texture is screenprinted on, now that is awesome...a white Scarf, a "do you kids want some lollies" Trench Coat, Pin striped Pants, a Fedora Hat and gloves...If I have missed anything guys, add it :D:D

Coranz

RobinDragonryde
02-10-2009, 10:23 AM
@Revolver Ocelot: The mask is the hard part. I went to my local fabric store and found the cheapest material they had in white that I could actually see through. I also bought a black fabric marker. Making the mask just takes experimentation, though I will say that I did two layers, but cut out the inside layer around the eyes and mouth to make it easier to see/breathe.

Revolver Ocelot
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I tried making one using this white lycra that i had left over from this zentai suit... but ehh it came out terrible... >.< and it was too tight haha it got kinda sweaty... well I thanks for the list =] hopefully i can find most of them things and the mask will be pretty hard... I'm gonna start practicing drawing it in t-shirts and stuff if it ever comes out looking decent I'll take a pic and show you guys

Coranz
02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
@RO: that's too bad that it didn't work. It'll be kewl to see the pics of what you've done sometime in the future :D

C

RobinDragonryde
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Well, I finished my Rorschach costume... (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/201242/)

Josh's Comedian costume still hasn't even been started yet, other than the smiley button (went ahead and made a few without the blood splatters even before we knew he was changing costumes.....)

Juego
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I wanna work on A Rorschach cosplay
but I have no idea on what I will need...
if you guys can help me compose of a list I'm sure I can get all them items and make the ones that I need...

Here, I made a visual guide to Rorschach (http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm208/PropMedic/juegosGuidetoRorschach.jpg). Feel free to redistribute.

In my own news, I finally hemmed the damn coat so it's on-model. Yay. Gonna wear Rorschach to Megacon this month.

Coranz
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
@RD: Nice! I love the Last pic! very funny lol

NZJ

Revolver Ocelot
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
haha thanks for that pic I'll be sure to use it as a reference

GabrielDarkhawk
02-16-2009, 09:44 PM
@ Juego: Thanks for the guide! I thought it was a trilby hat! XD

Hrmm...I sadly think I may have to put a hold on my watchmen plans. I've been mulling over budget, and I'd rather get it done right then slap something together for March. I may go look quickly at some thirft stores to see if any miracles happen but I think I have to let this one go. ;_;

Definately gonna make a smiley pin with human bean juice though! :) Best of luck to the Watchmen costumers!

Drackt
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I have been thinking of doing Silk Spectre I (Yes, I know I keep thinking up these things and not following through half the time...) except I have no idea where I could find a 1940s wig. I looked on Halloweenmart, Rubies, Disguise...any other sites I should check?

Ama Uzume
02-18-2009, 10:36 PM
I have been thinking of doing Silk Spectre I (Yes, I know I keep thinking up these things and not following through half the time...) except I have no idea where I could find a 1940s wig. I looked on Halloweenmart, Rubies, Disguise...any other sites I should check?

You might want to try the cosworx (http://www.cosworx.com) or Amphigory (http://www.amphigory.com/wigs.html). They got pretty good wigs.:toothy:

Drackt
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Hmm, is there any tutorial on how to do 1940s hair? Heck, when I look at photos from that period, I'm very, very confused as to how they could pull off those styles.

Faraday
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Here ya go Drackt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QyEWv4WDo&feature=related
You may also want to search for pin/victory/barrel curls or rockabilly hair styles (lol, I can never find tutorials when I need them)
but I'm also considering Silk Spectre I ;)

Last_Chael
02-20-2009, 03:55 AM
If people are interested, I can try and do up a SSI hair tutorial in the next couple of days?

I've been doing victory rolls in my hair for the last year or so, so I've got a pretty good handle on doing them. But I've never done faux bangs, so yar. I can't promise the best tutorial but I can certainly try my best! I've been wanting to have a practice run of the hair for a while!

Also I bought fabrics today for my costume! Silk Spectre I fabrics (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/Picture085.jpg) The gold delustered satin and netting is for the corset; the black delustered satin and black drill are for the corset, cincher and neckpiece; and the yellow georgette is a possibility for the overlay. Also with the right lining, it should be perfect for her dress.

Should get started this weekend! Only 2 weeks to go!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-20-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm rethinking doing SSII and possibly SSI. Not that much longer to put something together, right, lol. I'll do II whenever i get more time. SO EXCITED!

So, I have black vinyl in my aresonal of unused fabric that i want to use and i just need to find something that could be a yellow overlay. I'm going fabric shopping either this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll be lucky to find anything since all we have around here is Wal-Mart O_O.

Last Chael: It'll be awesome for a hair tutorial! I probably wont have a wig for the movie, but def will have it for my next convention. Will the tutorial work well for wigs too?

Faraday
02-22-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm seriously considering doing one of Sally's casual outfits from the movie (http://i44.tinypic.com/nns7j7.jpg), I've even begun futzing around with a wig of mine (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/shoutingasong_/cosplay%20QUESTION%20MARK/WebCam_20090222_01003.jpg). I know, I know, she's a redhead, but I've gotta work with what I've got. :*

Aer
02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi guys! (Almost) finished my Silk Spectre II costume this past weekend for Katsucon XD

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/141314/

I was very excited to wear it, but it just has a few minor adjustments (mostly dealing with the garters) for hopefully wearing to the movie, haha.

Glad to see so many people working on Watchmen stuff! I'm so psyched for the movie.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Aer: Thats awesome! It looks really good.

I'm having trouble starting SSI >.< I might have to drive nearly two hours to a fabric store to find the right yellow fabric. I'm going to try the other W-M's around here before taking that drive

Lady Skywalker
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm putting together a Sally Jupiter Silk Spectre from the comic. Here's a pic of what I have so far: http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/IMG_0773.jpg

I still need the glove and S brooch and when I wear it to a con and the movie premier, I will frizz out my hair and my bra won't be showing.

fightstar
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Lady Skywalker - looks good! Are you wearing this opening night or planning for a con?

I'd like to do a Dr. Manhattan, but where to get the blue that looks good, stays on for a few hours and cleans up fairly easily. I would go with '60 mins interview' Dr. Manhattan instead of 'Bye bye Viet Cong' Dr. Manhattan. Less blue to wear. :D

I don't even want to talk about white contacts and the ability NOT to be able to see. :p

Lady Skywalker
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
fightstar, both actually. MegaCon is this friday and then next weekend I'll wear it again for the premier.

Dr. Manhattan would be cool, but the best way to do blue without it coming off is airbrush. I would definatly start with the interview version as a test run before doing the 'Nam version at a con.

Last_Chael
02-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Jessi-Chan, the tutorial should also work for a wig. Though I'll be using a curling iron in my tutorial and obviously you won't be able to do that with a wig. But I'm sure you'll be able to work out how to alter it to suit a wig. Hoping to get the tutorial done in the next couple days! I swear!

I'm seriously considering doing one of Sally's casual outfits from the movie (http://i44.tinypic.com/nns7j7.jpg), I've even begun futzing around with a wig of mine (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/shoutingasong_/cosplay%20QUESTION%20MARK/WebCam_20090222_01003.jpg). I know, I know, she's a redhead, but I've gotta work with what I've got. :*

I've bought the fabric to make that dress too :D Though I have to focus on making her masked costume first, since I'm wearing that to the preview and premiere with a group of other Watchmen characters. I LOVE that dress!

I have some progress shots up here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/) if people want to have a look. So far I have the corset mostly made. Just need to cut out 2m of bias binding (because I used delustered satin I have to make my own *sigh*), sew it on, and then add the grommets. Then of course there's everything else :P Hoping to have it all mostly finished by Monday, but we'll see how I manage that :P

Also bought gloves, D-rings, and I'm hoping to buy my stockings tomorrow. Definitely making progress, and would love to get her dress made too, but not holding my breath on that!

fightstar
02-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Lady Skywalker - Many thanks. I'll look into getting some airbrush paint and an airbrush to apply it. The eye make up should work on top of that stuff and the contacts....ugh. I'll be sure to check ebay for a decent 3 piece suit. Once again Many Thanks.

Coranz
02-25-2009, 03:33 PM
@last_chael: Ha! I just realised you have the same duvet as I did when I was 15!! lol!

I shouldn't be online right now, I have to hem my SSI Skirt, then finish the corset, sew the overlay-top to the neck-piece, and as I got my fish-nets last night, I have to get me a suspender belt...fun fun

so, I am now offline, and if you see me online...kick me off...lol

C

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Everyone is progressing so well! I would be working on mine if I wasn't watching G4s Watchmen movie special *drools* but I did take my vinyl down out the closet to get started on the neck piece and corset.

Lady Skywalker
02-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Last_Chael...I know you, right? Don't you also do Padme?? I commented on your progress pics on LJ as LadyLane13. It's awesome to see you again!

What casual dresses are you all talking about? Where are these pics?!

Juego
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Small Rorschach update: My new hat came in today and I'm very pleased with it -- it's a bit dark, so I'm tinting my trench more towards brown than tan. I've only half a bottle of dye right now and Megacon is creeping up, so we'll see what I can do in an evening, lol.

Anyway, for Rorchachs looking for an inexpensive trilby, I suggest this (http://www.thefedorastore.com/NEW-Bailey-Felt-Hamman-Center-Crease-Fedora-Hat-p/1455.htm).

Also, I got a new scarf, this time in an off-white color. I'm thinking it will work out better for photos -- the mask won't blend so much into my neck. Plus, movieschach has a pretty dingy off-white scarf.

Last_Chael
02-26-2009, 01:45 AM
Last_Chael...I know you, right? Don't you also do Padme?? I commented on your progress pics on LJ as LadyLane13. It's awesome to see you again!

What casual dresses are you all talking about? Where are these pics?!

Wow! You remembered me :D Heheh I used to post over on AoI but I haven't had regular internet connection for the last 6 months, so I've not been online much. I do Padme and Leia and a few other costumes. I actually just got some better fabric to redo my Padme costume :D

I saw your comment over on lj, thanks so much! :D

Thus far I've seen two of her casual outfits. There's this one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/starfirephoenix/3269387200/in/set-72157613592098416/), which I'm planning to make. This particular photo is taken from one of the Art of/Making of books, and there's also a black and white version in the Portraits book. I absolutely fell in love with it (as I'm a huge vintage nut) and knew I had to make it.

The other outfit I've seen is the one she wears at her retirement dinner, whilst she's pregnant. I've only seen the one shot of it, and it only shows the top half. It's on my 'if/when I get pregnant' costume list :P A girl has to be prepared :P

Faraday
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Last_Chael, I believe that the retirement/pregnant outfit is the same one featured in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf-z6uLZE_s)(@ 1:05), and you can see a full body drawing of the design.

dreadpiraterose
02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I think you'll be seeing a ton of Watchmen costumes showing up at cons, but only the "easier" costumes. Every now and then there will be an AMAZING costume from the movie, but in the mean time it'll be an abundance of the stuff that's easier to make.

Drackt
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
So far, I have found some things at Torrid that would work for Silk Spectre I, as I have been dealing with my weight issues. However, it'll have to wait until Wizard World Chicago due to money issues and two costumes I have ahead in the queue.

The bright side is, I could use those boots for my Cover Girl costume...and I can try to figure out that hair as well as tone up. :)

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Brought SSI fabric today. With my limited choices of fabric, i choose a nice yellow casa satin. Not too shiny and i think it'll work quite well. For the black portions i'm using black vinyl i already had...so excited.

I think you'll be seeing a ton of Watchmen costumes showing up at cons, but only the "easier" costumes. Every now and then there will be an AMAZING costume from the movie, but in the mean time it'll be an abundance of the stuff that's easier to make.

I agree that a lot of Watchmen costumes are going to start showing up, but i dont think any of the costumes are particularly "easy" except prehaps Silk Spectre I comic and movie, and SSII's comic (movie is quite difficult). There have already been some pretty amazing versions of Silk Spectre's movie costume and i've seen some comic Nite Owls and Ozymandis, mainly at large sci-fi/fantasy/comic cons like Dragon*Con or SDCC. As far as small to medium cons, there will prob be some of the easier things like comic Comedian and Silk Spectres. And there will ALWAYS be Rorschach cause he's awesome.

Now, what would be really impressive is some Minutemen cosplay besides Sally and Comedian. THAT would make me fangirl.

Coranz
02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
oooo I love the Retirement Dress even more after seeing it in full!!
The picture I first saw it was the one placed to look like The Last Supper by Da'vinci...I am serious...it is EXACTLY the same!! lol

I capped the YT Version...HERE (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3312749456_aaf0c51d45_o.jpg)

*wants to make*

C

Last_Chael
02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I agree that a lot of Watchmen costumes are going to start showing up, but i dont think any of the costumes are particularly "easy" except prehaps Silk Spectre I comic and movie, and SSII's comic (movie is quite difficult). There have already been some pretty amazing versions of Silk Spectre's movie costume and i've seen some comic Nite Owls and Ozymandis, mainly at large sci-fi/fantasy/comic cons like Dragon*Con or SDCC. As far as small to medium cons, there will prob be some of the easier things like comic Comedian and Silk Spectres. And there will ALWAYS be Rorschach cause he's awesome.

Now, what would be really impressive is some Minutemen cosplay besides Sally and Comedian. THAT would make me fangirl.

I honestly don't think SSI's movie costume is particularly easy either! Perhaps it's just because I'm currently making it, but it really isn't that easy. Granted I'm trying to get mine as close to the movie as possible, but the yellow part is not easy at all!

The comic ones will definitely be easier to put together (hoorah 80's comic costumes), but the movie ones are definitely so much more difficult.

But I do agree that you will see lots more Watchmen costumes around. But that's kinda predictable since it's a huge sci-fi/fantasy movie, it has AWESOME costumes and it will be recognisable.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Im working on SSI's as well. Not exactly EASY, but still kind of easy compared to others, which is what i was getting at ^_^. I think people think the increase in costumers means people are just joining a fad. That might be the case, but the true fans will shine at gatherings and their attention to detail. I'm just glad a comic i love is getting more exposure so that it CAN be recognizible and theres nothing wrong with that at all :)

People say Rorschach will be the new Joker (as far as mass of bad costumes), but i'm cool with that as long as i get to interact with other Watchmen fans.

Last_Chael
02-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I understand! I agree, who care if it's just a fad! It means more people get the joy of reading the comic and dressing up! WOOHOO!!!

I have a question:

I've seen a few people now make SSI's cincher and neckpiece out of vinyl. Is there a reason for this? Is it just your personal preference or is there a particular shot that makes you think it's vinyl? I'm really curious because I would never have thought to use vinyl!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Hmm...for me it just seems more vinyl. I was thinking of superhero costume fabrics so I picked a shiny yellow as a personal perference but always thought of the black as vinyl I think a wide variety of fabrics can be used but I guess we'll know friday which is more accurate. Lol!

Now, a question. At everyone eles' theatres is there a midnight showing? How did u find that out? Also,
Do u think others will be in costume? For me, I know I'll be the only one because I always am. Haha back when Harry Potter released when I wore my costume, I was the only one. Always.

fightstar
02-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Midnight showings for movies is easy. Just head out to the theater on Thursday and buy your ticket early and there you go! If your going in costume just ask them about it maybe they will hook you up with something, who knows.

Coranz
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
The Pictures I have of the Neck-piece and the clincher, they are not that Vinyl...hence me not making my neck-piece with it...*plug* Pictures are on my website *plug over*
The ones I have seen that have them made from Vinyl are just a tad too shinny for me and my perfectionisum...lol
This (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3275614568_1606dfded1_o.jpg) picture shows that it does have the shinny look, but no where near as much as Vinyl...

I wish my theatre was having a Midnight screening...I miss them...I went to all 3 of the LotR ones and even went to the 3am screening of the 3rd Matrix movie...lol

C

Last_Chael
02-27-2009, 10:37 PM
That's cool, I was just curious! I wondered if perhaps someone had a better shot that showed it :P

Cora that's why I went with delustered satin. I think that picture probably shows it the best. It's got a sheen but isn't too shiny.

I did a test of my hair and make-up today!! :D

Now I haven't actually written up the tutorial yet, but if you want to have a look, I've uploaded the photos in order, starting from this one (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/Picture132.jpg). Hopefully you can kinda work out what I've done from the photos. But I will write up instructions soon, after I've done some more work on the costume. Also my hair isn't quite long enough to do the back rolls properly, so I apologise! I tried my hardest to get it all looking right and take as many photos as I could while I was going. Hope it helps!

Also, my corset now has binding (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/Picture131.jpg)!! Now to put the grommets in!

Aer
02-27-2009, 11:31 PM
http://movietickets.com/ shows midnight showings around your zipcode!

fortunately we have this awesome historic theater near me where all the nerds like me go when movies like this come out so I feel much better about wearing my costume there than a chain, haha ;P

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-28-2009, 12:13 AM
All vinyl is not shiny...I have a matte vinyl. Most shiny vinyl is pvc.

I finished my cincher and choker tonight. The entire thing will be complete tomorrow night

Aer: thanks for that site! I'll have to check it out when I'm actually on a computer and not my phone

Last_Chael
02-28-2009, 03:32 AM
I can't wait to see it Jesse-chan!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
It was kind of simple when I got the hang of it. First thing I've made with no pattern. I deserve cookies haha.

This thread has turned into the silk spectre thread lol. Where are u other watchmen cosplayers!?

NoTsOsErIoUs
02-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm still about.
Good luck with the work on your costumes everyone.

Here is a vid from the world premiere of the movie.
Are you watching closely?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6s--TmW1Ps&feature=related

RobinDragonryde
03-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Now, a question. At everyone eles' theatres is there a midnight showing? How did u find that out? Also,
Do u think others will be in costume? For me, I know I'll be the only one because I always am. Haha back when Harry Potter released when I wore my costume, I was the only one. Always.

Even if the website for your theatre doesn't show it, though, give them an email or call--my local theatre's website STILL doesn't show it but I called and they reassured me that yes, they are having a showing. *whew!*

BonPig
03-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Epp! Watchmen!
I'm making a Silk Spectre II costume and I've already made a rough version of it. Does anyone know what they used in the movie to make it? Latex? Spandex? PVC? annnddd which one is stretchier?

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Robin: alrightie I'll do that. Might just drop by and ask them if I'm around which I will be since I gotta drop by the costume shop to get a whip for SSI.

Bonpig: earlier in the thread we discussed that it looked like latex. I think pvc would look good as well.

Last_Chael
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Robin: alrightie I'll do that. Might just drop by and ask them if I'm around which I will be since I gotta drop by the costume shop to get a whip for SSI.

Silk Spectre Doesn't have a whip. In the poster, she was holding the prisoners leash. It wasn't a whip :P

I've heard a few people saying she has a whip, and she doesn't!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Oh thanks for clearing that up! I saw another cosplayer with a whip so i was confused. Yay, i dont have to buy a whip! haha

Last_Chael
03-02-2009, 03:10 AM
No worries! I hope that didn't sound to harsh, coz I didn't mean it that way at all! I've talked to a couple SSI cosplayers and they seemed to think she had a whip too. I looked through all of the reference images I had and couldn't find any evidence of a whip or in fact any prop (which I was kinda disappointed by as I wanted a prop!). But yeah, in the poster they did for her, she was holding something that could be mistaken for a whip, but it's definitely a leash.

Anti Ai-chan
03-02-2009, 03:53 AM
I'm kind of new posting on this thread, but hi to everyone! I just finished my SSII movie version for WonderCon and I plan to wear it to the midnight premier. I'm so excited to watch it that I bought my ticket on Fandango two weeks ago. lol

@Bonpig: At the WonderCon Panel they said it was latex though I made mine mostly out of PVC and it worked well enough. Good luck making SSII, her costume was practically eating me alive. DX

Coranz
03-02-2009, 03:59 AM
Anit Ai: I just had a quick gander at your SSII version! Awesome work!! :D

C

Anti Ai-chan
03-02-2009, 04:08 AM
@Coranz: Thanks a bunch! I'm a little limited on pictures at the moment, more to come soon hopefully!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-02-2009, 10:31 AM
last chael: Not harsh at all! I'm so glad you cleared it up. I'm sure more people may have thought it was a whip prehaps by the reference image and some other cosplayers already with the costume misinterpeting it as such and carrying a whip (<- which is what i thought and was confused!) I kind of just wanted it to be a whip so i'd have something to carry and not have to do the standard "hands on hip" pose.

Anti Ai chan: I LOVE YOUR COSTUME *steals*

Anti Ai-chan
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM
@Jessi: XD Thanks but please don't steal it, I need it for the premier! You can have it after that. XD

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Ah ok *gives it back*
rofl

I'm so excited for the movie. Going to see if my theater has a midnight screening and advance tickets! (and if costumes will be allowed...i dont see why not, but i've never been in costume to this particular theater)

Anti Ai-chan
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Haha Thanks!

You should check Fandango since most theaters allow their pre-sale tickets. Also, I wouldn't see why people would have a problem with you going in costume. You know little kids probably go see Harry Potter wearing cloaks and witch hats all the time, it's the same thing really.

Faraday
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
@Coranz: Thanks a bunch! I'm a little limited on pictures at the moment, more to come soon hopefully!

Let me help you with that :* http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=dd1emu&s=5

Juego
03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey peeps, we were pretty well represented at Mega:

Comedian & Silk Spectre I (http://flickr.com/photos/thekruger/3323482449/in/set-72157614645777261/)
Rorschach vs Rorschach (http://flickr.com/photos/thekruger/3324306594/in/set-72157614645777261/)
Rorschach and Silk Spectre I (http://flickr.com/photos/thekruger/3324296026/in/set-72157614645777261/) (I feel weird having changed my mask blot... doesn't feel like me, lol)

Gaku_X
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeee only a few days my dear dorky friends!
*dances*
While shopping at a thrift store for other costumes my fiance found a nice tan coat for $8 which I shall dirty up for suitable Rorschach nastiness.
And because I don't have the confidence to saunter about in anything sheer or the time and money for latex....or any desire to be a Silk Spectre,I'll be getting together a fair approximation of the Silhouette.

Note... Because I'm that lame I'll be calling myself Silhouette II,though it does suit the theme,hm?

Anti Ai-chan
03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
@Fritzy: Oh snap! Thanks a bunch! <3

@Juego: You may feel weird about the change of ink blot but you still look awesome.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
soooo close. My theatre does have a midnight showing (yes!) and i asked could i wear a costume. She seemed kind of surprised, but a little excited (it seemed) but said yes. I didnt get my tickets because my roommate hasnt decided if shes going - despite me saying i'll pay. I dont want to go alone, especially in that costume late at night, but i'm no stranger to going to the movies alone. lol

EDIT
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/jessichan99/silkspectrecostume.jpg
Ha, this picture is so crappy, but you all get the idea. Skirt looks a bit weird mainly because of how i was standing and trying to direct my roommate/friend how to work my cell phone camera.

Anti Ai-chan
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
lol Phone pics ftw! Looking good so far!

Coranz
03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I wish I had moneys of my phone, I took pics of the 3 kinds of black spotted shear fabric I found at my towns fabric store...$6p/m is great....

C

Kung_Fu_Candy
03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
The premiere is tomorrow and I'm still working on my costume! XD;;;; I'll probably be working on it until 6 or 7 pm tomorrow. *le sigh* I'm such a procrastinator.

But I must say, this costume has been totally hellish!! Silk Spectre II is definitely the most difficult costume I've ever had to make, and I'm not even in the final stretch yet. Watchmen fans are really dedicated!! >:D

Anti Ai-chan
03-04-2009, 10:10 PM
But I must say, this costume has been totally hellish!! Silk Spectre II is definitely the most difficult costume I've ever had to make, and I'm not even in the final stretch yet. Watchmen fans are really dedicated!! >:D

Hellish is an understatement for that costume! It caused me so many problems and I didn't even add the corset. DX Good luck to you!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Added a pic of my SSI to my gallery. YAY! Nearly 24 hours until i get to see Watchmen.

Coranz
03-04-2009, 10:26 PM
OMG I JUST CAME HOME FROM WATCHING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Review on the Way at the Watchdom LJ Comm...

Coranz

Anti Ai-chan
03-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Dang you and your time difference! (Just guessing that's how you saw it early....)

Coranz
03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Yes and no, we got it here a day before you guys (the 5th) so if I am thinking about it right, you still have a full day before it is released where you are...though I might be wrong...

Coranz

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Ah lucky Coranz
I just joined that LJ Comm you mentioned. :)
Making my first post right now

RobinDragonryde
03-05-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm LadyDragonryder there--that comm is <3

LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO GO!! *dies*

Coranz
03-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Yay :D

Stay tuned, I may post the first part of my review in a few minutes...lol

Coranz

stonesour_17
03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
So hey aside from Misa anyone in the Dallas area dressing up for the midnight premiere? I'm going to the Legacy as Rorschach! XD

Quantum9
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Okay, heres my thing. I want to do Rorschach, but to stand out from the 50 BILLION RORSCHACHS that will be at cons this summer, I want to put this ink pouch behind my mask so it really looks like his moving ink blots.

...so how best to do this?

fightstar
03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Okay this doesn't help in progressing costumes nor is this a spoiler. Here is a little comedy from the folks who brought you 'I'm a Marvel. I'm a DC.', here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n3VSw1XBOo&feature=channel). Enjoy!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
fightstar: I loved that! haha. hilarious.

Going to pick up my ticket everyone. yayyayyayyay!

KatsuyaTsubasa
03-06-2009, 12:53 AM
I did a ghetto Rorschach for the movie tomorrow. I started yesterday just to give you an idea how quickly I did this :P
I'm not going to do it this way again that's for sure >< but it'll work for the meantime lol
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1933658/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1933659/

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-06-2009, 03:25 AM
OMFG! The movie was spectacular/beautiful/awesome/etc! I loved it.

I went in costume, but ended up changing due to lack of appreciation. I might return again later tonight in costume since my fiance will be with me. I think everyone was worried about me trotting around late at night, alone, in that short Silk Spectre I costume (my roommate asked me did i want her mace. lolwut!)

Coranz
03-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Wasn't it great!!! :D
I saw it twice in the same day it was so F***en awesome!!

C

Anti Ai-chan
03-06-2009, 05:59 AM
OMG! I freaking loved the movie! For cereal guys, freaking awesome! <3333

@Jessi: That's too bad it wasn't appreciated. Mine was well received and people were taking pictures left and right.

Last_Chael
03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I saw it on Wednesday night at a preview screening. There was a huge big group of us, so it was really really awesome!

I Loved my costume, and loved how it turned out, and whilst I want to change a few things, I'm still pretty pleased with it. Unfortunately not many of my photos turned out (only the couple I took of my friend in her SSII costume), and most of the other photos I've seen of me look terrible. We're hoping to do another costumed screening again soon, as we all want to see it again and we all want to wear our costumes again!

Before that happens though I want to fix up the sheer part of my costume. Need to fix up the back (it's very messy as I was quite rushed) and I want to redo the hem making it shorter and the sides more pronounced.

But here are my two favourite photos from the night:
Vargas Pinup pose (http://www.flickr.com/photos/starfirephoenix/3330015353/)
Silk Spectre stole my laugh! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/starfirephoenix/3330044709/)

Definitely things that need fixing (I need to remmeber not to laugh when photos are taken as I have a horrible double chin), but I hope to get some better ones soon! I need to practice my sultry look!

Oh and Silk Spectre totally stole my laugh!

Lady Skywalker
03-06-2009, 08:27 PM
YAY! Movie! Amazing!!! EPIC!!!!

Last_Chael, you look so adorable! Did you do your hair or is that a wig cause I love it.

So I went to the IMAX premier which was sold out. So that means out of 500 people...I was the ONLY one in costume!!! Grrr! But I got pulled out of line by the staff to take pics with their posters and stuff for promotional stuff. hehe

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm kinda sad I didn't stay in costume all night. Oooh well. Haha

If anyone has wig suggestions for SSI (color, styling tips, etc) I'm all ears. It'll be greatly appreciated.

CharAznable
03-07-2009, 03:36 AM
Hey guys, big fan of the comic and the movie, I'm considering going to AX as the movie version of Nite Owl II, wondering if anyone had any tips on it, cause I'm not sure where to start, any help will be greatly appreciated.

hoshi<3
03-07-2009, 03:38 PM
just saw the movie it was AMAZING it followed the book so closely!

maybe i'll try silk spectre or rorschach some time in the future ^^

kinkami
03-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Loved the book, loved the movie. There were a couple things I was little sad that they changed in the movie, but it was so much fun.
I'm definitely considering doing Rorschach for the next A-kon. He's just such a great character and I love his design. I'm also afraid that he's going to be the next Joker costume especially around Halloween this year. -_-;

But I really want to do it! I really don't like doing an overdone costume, I've had it happen once before and it wasn't very fun at all. I think it'd be pretty hilarious since I'm blonde and a girl. I'd have tons of fun getting to wear a mask for once. I'd probably even do some fake stubble so I could lift the mask up half-way.

Spetsnaz
03-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I actually had plans on making a Rorscach cosplay for a while now.

But sadly, it looks like it will be this year's Joker...

So, I think what I will probably do is save it for smaller cons. Or just wait until the phase is past and everyone has calmed down their rampage of the character.

otakusenshiange
03-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Okay, well, incase ya'll are still looking for latex
I suggest here:http://www.mjtrends.com/gridview-latex-sheeting

I have like zero skill but SOOOO want to do movie-version Silk Spectre II. Mainly because I think I might be able to pull it off. Maybe. lol
My main problem is I think I'd have to have someone make it for me, cause like I said I've got zero skill. But from what I read on the site you don't actually sew latex, you have to use some bonding glue? That might make it easer or harder. I can't tell. :3
That site also has pvc,vinyl etc. Do you guys think that might be easier? I am a way n00b seamstress but my mom is pretty good. Haha though I doubt she'd make this for me. I was also thinking that I might wear sheer tights or dancers tights underneath. I mean, I'd be overheating even more,but then all my lady bits wouldn't be hanging out like Ms. Ackerman's. lol
Any suggestions?

leelandolee92
03-08-2009, 02:12 PM
hi everyone!

so this movie was so sick!!!!! i've decided to cosplay vintage nite owl because the minutemen are 20x cooler the the watchmen LOL. so i have liek everything planned btu i was wondering if anyone knew how to mke his cp type thinger...
D: it looks diffucult..if any has any imput its greatly appreciated!

Thanks
<3's to all watchmen cosplayers:)

Anti Ai-chan
03-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Okay, well, incase ya'll are still looking for latex
I suggest here:http://www.mjtrends.com/gridview-latex-sheeting

I have like zero skill but SOOOO want to do movie-version Silk Spectre II. Mainly because I think I might be able to pull it off. Maybe. lol
My main problem is I think I'd have to have someone make it for me, cause like I said I've got zero skill. But from what I read on the site you don't actually sew latex, you have to use some bonding glue? That might make it easer or harder. I can't tell. :3
That site also has pvc,vinyl etc. Do you guys think that might be easier? I am a way n00b seamstress but my mom is pretty good. Haha though I doubt she'd make this for me. I was also thinking that I might wear sheer tights or dancers tights underneath. I mean, I'd be overheating even more,but then all my lady bits wouldn't be hanging out like Ms. Ackerman's. lol
Any suggestions?

Latex is a bitch to work with and even to wear! The gloves for mine were latex and were fine at first but started to hurt after a few hours. I used PVC for mine and I think it worked well but it's definitely not as tight as it should be, but that's more because my lack of skillz. -___-;;; Tights would work, just be careful that it doesn't awkwardly show the waistband since the outfit will be skin-tight.

Turtleen
03-08-2009, 03:12 PM
The movie was amazing, I want to go see it again! I didn't know Watchmen was being made until January when it was in regular book stores. That was quite the surprise to see it on one of the promotional racks xD

Friends and I cosplayed to the movie, I think the only one who was recognized was our Rorschach, but it was fun. We had Rorschach, Silk Spectre I, Silk Spectre II (movie version), the Comedian and I did Nite Owl II. Most of us are planning to cosplay Watchmen to FanExpo/CNanime.

otakusenshiange
03-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Latex is a bitch to work with and even to wear! The gloves for mine were latex and were fine at first but started to hurt after a few hours. I used PVC for mine and I think it worked well but it's definitely not as tight as it should be, but that's more because my lack of skillz. -___-;;; Tights would work, just be careful that it doesn't awkwardly show the waistband since the outfit will be skin-tight.
I imagine so, I might just have someone make it for me, if they're willing. I would use pvc but I'm afraid that when it's so tight the plastic will separate from the fabric. It happened to a pair of pants I had and it was not a happy ending. It's the only reason I'd choose the latex over the pvc. I'll look into it more, I guess. Thanks for the input,though, your costume looks really great!
As for the tights, I don't think the wasitband would show because the corset would probably cover that part up, wouldn't it? At the very least the belt would. Who knows? lol

!*Jessi-Chan*!
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
I agree that latex is hard to work with and wear. Even in a costume as "skimpy" (not really all that skimpy, but ya know what i'm getting at lol) as Silk Spectre II, it'll be a hassle to be in the costume longer then an hour or two at the most before your skin wants to breathe.

In saying that, i'm willing for the torture when i make my SSII costume since i would like to use latex is possible. As for the site mentioned, mjtrends, i have had very good service with them as i ordered vinyl and pvc from them once before. It shipped quite fast and i loved the fabric.

otakusenshiange
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I agree that latex is hard to work with and wear. Even in a costume as "skimpy" (not really all that skimpy, but ya know what i'm getting at lol) as Silk Spectre II, it'll be a hassle to be in the costume longer then an hour or two at the most before your skin wants to breathe.

In saying that, i'm willing for the torture when i make my SSII costume since i would like to use latex is possible. As for the site mentioned, mjtrends, i have had very good service with them as i ordered vinyl and pvc from them once before. It shipped quite fast and i loved the fabric.

good to have a positive review of them. however im a) broke b)totally not capable of making this costume myself. it'll prolly go on the back burner until I am skilled enough or can find someone to help meee. lol

leelandolee92
03-08-2009, 08:38 PM
pictareeeee!!! of my comedian costume at watchmen premier :)
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/207529/

Technoir
03-09-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm a little late with this, haha. I ended up cosplaying Silhouette for the movie premiere. While I plan on actually making her costume, I didn't have the time or the money to do it before the premiere. So I just threw together stuff I had around the house. The result was passable, but just that, haha. I'll make up for it when I make the real thing.

Here are the pictures. (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/142836/)

Also, I'm not sure how many of you have seen that Lean With It video of the Rorschach and Batman cosplayers. Here it is, if you haven't. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u63Ol73V1k) Well. My friends and I decided to film a parody/homage to it at the premiere.

Here's our video of that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7yNG31t_aA)

Aaaand now I'm done linkspamming. Haha. Sorry about that.

Kung_Fu_Candy
03-09-2009, 02:52 PM
The movie *completely* blew my mind! I've already seen it 3 times, and I solemnly swear to see it several more! XDD

My Silk Spectre II costume still needs work (corset and gloves plz!), but I wore the in-progress version to the premiere. Sadly, pretty much nobody dressed up! It was just me and a lone Rorschach. All the fanboys in the theater were really excited to see a Spectre though! XDD

Ooh, thanks for the latex link!!! I definitely want to remake my costume with latex (right now it's done with PVC), but I'll probably save that for the future. I'm happy with the PVC for now, and the creation of the PVC version cost so much money, time, and tears (oh the tears!!! ;n;) that it would be totally painful for me to toss it out now! XD

@Far Cry: YAY for Silhouette cosplay!! She is most definitely the hottest girl in the movie, and the character deserves more love! And many cool points for the video! XDD I love how Walter is totally uninvolved. You can hear the inner "hurrm".

Juego
03-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm a little late with this, haha. I ended up cosplaying Silhouette for the movie premiere. While I plan on actually making her costume, I didn't have the time or the money to do it before the premiere. So I just threw together stuff I had around the house. The result was passable, but just that, haha. I'll make up for it when I make the real thing.

Here are the pictures. (http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/142836/)

If you don't finish, I will be a sad Rorschach!Panda. ;)

I've been collecting photos/caps of Mothman, but I may not be able to tackle him til 2010. I still have hopes for a Minutemen group at some point. Probably best to wait for the extended DVD comes out, anyway.

Last_Chael
03-10-2009, 08:13 AM
That's a pretty cool Silhouette costume! :D My friend did an AMAZING Silhouette costume for our premiere!

Ladies of the Minutemen (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/DSC_0171.jpg)

Silhouette found herself a pretty girl :P (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/DSC_0170.jpg)

Those are the only pictures I have but I shall try and find more!

Arisa
03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Hey everyone! I'm planning to do the original Silk Spectre's pregnant outfit from the movie. We don't see the bottom of her outfit, so I guess it could be a dress, but since everyone else is in costume in that short scene and she's also wearing the glove and wristband-thing that she wears in her normal costume, I'm going to assume that it's still meant to be a costume, just with the top adapted to fit her belly. Thoughts?

:D Does anyone have any decent screencaps of that scene? I've found this (http://pics.livejournal.com/lay_of_luthien/pic/007aheat), but caps from any scene not in the trailer are hard to find with the movie being so new. I'm sure I'll get plenty if I just wait a little longer, but maybe someone knows of some resource that I don't?

I also found what seem like the perfect boots! They're pretty inexpensive too, so I'll post up the link for anyone else doing her movie costume(s): http://www.electriqueboutique.com/womens-shoes/High-Heel-Fantasy-Female-Adult-Sexy-Costume-Boot/GET-25-BLK.html They only go up to US size 8 though, so keep that in mind if you have larger feet.

Coranz
03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I posted a picture of the Art-work of that Costume a few pages back I think...I must find it again...

EDIT: Here (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3312749456_aaf0c51d45_o.jpg)

I am not sure if the length stayed the same for the movie...so I would think it would be open to interruption...

Coranz

Arisa
03-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I posted a picture of the Art-work of that Costume a few pages back I think...I must find it again...

EDIT: Here (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3312749456_aaf0c51d45_o.jpg)

I am not sure if the length stayed the same for the movie...so I would think it would be open to interruption...

Coranz

Oh, awesome! Thanks! Sorry, I read back a few pages but didn't read the whole thread.

Coranz
03-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Its all good :D

I love that dress actually, and I can pull off the Prego Look without the padding...lol being large sometimes rocks...LOL

Goodluck on the dress :D Pictures=Love and Sharing Hehelol

Coranz

Arisa
03-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I actually am pregnant, and will be wearing it at Jacon (25 weeks) and Supanova Perth (31 or 32 weeks, I forget which), so I will have a pretty sizeable belly!

I will definitely share pictures when I finish... just not sure when that will be, due to funds and all, haha. Should be done by May, I hope!

Coranz
03-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Congrats! :D
It'll look awesome, totally accurate :D lol

Coranz

Annissë
03-10-2009, 09:11 PM

YAY! Far Cry, you will make a very good Sihouette! Can't wait to see your end results for the SDCC! :skidude2: GO FOR IT!

I can't wait to do my SSII version in latex!

Coranz
03-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I found these shoes on the site that Arisa posted...Might be good, might not...I can't get a closer picture of it...

HERE (http://www.electriqueboutique.com/womens-shoes/Lace-Up-Knee-Boot/0452-BLK-PAT.html)

Coranz

Last_Chael
03-11-2009, 01:54 AM
I actually am pregnant, and will be wearing it at Jacon (25 weeks) and Supanova Perth (31 or 32 weeks, I forget which), so I will have a pretty sizeable belly!

I will definitely share pictures when I finish... just not sure when that will be, due to funds and all, haha. Should be done by May, I hope!

That's fantastic! This is on my 'pregnancy costumes' list too :P

And wow, you're coming to Australia? What made you choose Perthnova?

Arisa
03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
That's fantastic! This is on my 'pregnancy costumes' list too :P

And wow, you're coming to Australia? What made you choose Perthnova?

I'm moving to Perth right after Jacon (end of May). :p I'm moving in with my guy (my baby-daddy, haha) and he lives in Perth.

Also, after looking back through the thread, I saw you mention that you're cutting a fringe for Silk Spectre I? Ahhh, don't do that, at least not for the movie version! She doesn't have a fringe, she has "faux bangs", a roll in the front of her hair meant to look like a fringe.

GabrielDarkhawk
03-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Hey everyone, found some nice big ref pics of the movie costumes. Thought I would share.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/32776927.html
Last pic has a bit of nudity, due to Dr Manhattan, but some nice big pics of the other costumes.

Still going to make Rorschach eventually, his height in the movie makes me happy, he's quite small! XD

Last_Chael
03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
I'm moving to Perth right after Jacon (end of May). :p I'm moving in with my guy (my baby-daddy, haha) and he lives in Perth.

Also, after looking back through the thread, I saw you mention that you're cutting a fringe for Silk Spectre I? Ahhh, don't do that, at least not for the movie version! She doesn't have a fringe, she has "faux bangs", a roll in the front of her hair meant to look like a fringe.

Aww that's great! I'm in Adelaide! It's on the other side of the country, but hopefully you'll travel to interstate cons? I've not been to Perth, but might make the trip eventually! It's so expensive!

hahaha it's ok, I know it's faux bangs :D Here's my test rung (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/Picture123.jpg) and Here's the actual costume (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/DSC_0236.jpg). I have been meaning to cut my fringe for ages because I usually have bangs (especially now my hair is shorter, I need them if I want to put my hair in a ponytail). Currently my long fringe makes the faux bangs so difficult, so I'll probably get them trimmed a little shorter and in the U shape so I can still pin them up like hers, but they'll be easier to manage. I've been doing vintage hairstyles for over a year now :D It's one of the main reason I chose to do this costume - for the hair! :D

Now if only my hair my red, I would pull off the look better. With this hair style, I look more Betty Paige than Sally Jupiter :P

Arisa
03-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Aww that's great! I'm in Adelaide! It's on the other side of the country, but hopefully you'll travel to interstate cons? I've not been to Perth, but might make the trip eventually! It's so expensive!

hahaha it's ok, I know it's faux bangs :D Here's my test rung (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/Picture123.jpg) and Here's the actual costume (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Last_Chael/Costumes/Sally%20Jupiter/DSC_0236.jpg). I have been meaning to cut my fringe for ages because I usually have bangs (especially now my hair is shorter, I need them if I want to put my hair in a ponytail). Currently my long fringe makes the faux bangs so difficult, so I'll probably get them trimmed a little shorter and in the U shape so I can still pin them up like hers, but they'll be easier to manage. I've been doing vintage hairstyles for over a year now :D It's one of the main reason I chose to do this costume - for the hair! :D

Now if only my hair my red, I would pull off the look better. With this hair style, I look more Betty Paige than Sally Jupiter :P

I don't expect to be able to travel to any cons outside of Perth, sadly - as you said, it's expensive, and I think most of the expensive trips we make will be to the US, since I have friends and family to see and show the baby off to. Oh well. I do have friends in other parts of Australia I'd like to see someday, but I have no idea if or when I'll ever get the opportunity.

I'm actually growing my fringe out! I've usually kept it somewhere between mid-forehead and eyebrow-length, but a lot of vintage 'dos are harder to do with a fringe and I'm a huge vintage nut too, haha. I fangasmed so hard over Sally Jupiter's hair, oh man... it was also a motivator behind wanting to do her costumes for me too!

Your costume is awesome, by the way!

Last_Chael
03-14-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't expect to be able to travel to any cons outside of Perth, sadly - as you said, it's expensive, and I think most of the expensive trips we make will be to the US, since I have friends and family to see and show the baby off to. Oh well. I do have friends in other parts of Australia I'd like to see someday, but I have no idea if or when I'll ever get the opportunity.

I'm actually growing my fringe out! I've usually kept it somewhere between mid-forehead and eyebrow-length, but a lot of vintage 'dos are harder to do with a fringe and I'm a huge vintage nut too, haha. I fangasmed so hard over Sally Jupiter's hair, oh man... it was also a motivator behind wanting to do her costumes for me too!

Your costume is awesome, by the way!

That's totally understandable! My boyfriend and I are hoping to make it over to Dragon Con eventually, and definitely hope to go to Celebration V whenever that happens. But until then, we tend to stick to the local cons over this side of Australia.

Hahaha when I chose to do this costume, it was for the hair! I didn't know anything about the character or the movie or the comic, I just loved the hair! Of course, I never cosplay a character I don't know, so I started researching, then read the comic then saw the movie. I just find faux bangs so darned difficult. I'm thinking a slightly shorter fringe would be easier, since mine is currently around chin length. Also for everyday wear, I prefer a shorter fringe. So I'm thinking a u shaped fringe perhaps around eye or nose length. Won't take long to grow out anyway!

Thanks so much :D We went and saw the movie again last night and took lots more photos! I shall be uploading them to my gallery on here soonish, but until then, have a look here (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=609619816&ref=profile#/album.php?aid=61286&id=609619816&ref=mf) :D Hope you like them! We had so much fun doing this, and plan on doing a proper photoshoot around Augustish.

Arisa
03-14-2009, 06:19 PM
That's totally understandable! My boyfriend and I are hoping to make it over to Dragon Con eventually, and definitely hope to go to Celebration V whenever that happens. But until then, we tend to stick to the local cons over this side of Australia.

Hahaha when I chose to do this costume, it was for the hair! I didn't know anything about the character or the movie or the comic, I just loved the hair! Of course, I never cosplay a character I don't know, so I started researching, then read the comic then saw the movie. I just find faux bangs so darned difficult. I'm thinking a slightly shorter fringe would be easier, since mine is currently around chin length. Also for everyday wear, I prefer a shorter fringe. So I'm thinking a u shaped fringe perhaps around eye or nose length. Won't take long to grow out anyway!

Thanks so much :D We went and saw the movie again last night and took lots more photos! I shall be uploading them to my gallery on here soonish, but until then, have a look here (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=609619816&ref=profile#/album.php?aid=61286&id=609619816&ref=mf) :D Hope you like them! We had so much fun doing this, and plan on doing a proper photoshoot around Augustish.

Ahhhh, I actually live a state south of Dragoncon right now... every opportunity I've had to go to Dragoncon in the past has fallen through. I kept saying "Next year, next year" but, well... now there is no next year! Ah well... maybe when the baby gets a little older? Dragoncon should be close to its birthday, and it's a few weeks before mine, so maybe it can be a dual birthday celebration, haha. A very expensive dual birthday celebration!

I didn't know much about the costumes until I saw the movie but when I did, ohhh yeah, I knew I was cosplaying her mainly because of her hair. I also thought her normal costume was awesome but I obviously can't fit something like that with a big ole pregnant belly, haha. Post-partum for sure!
My fringe is at the bottom of my eyes right now and it's driving me crazyyyyy, ahh. It's not actually IN my eyes because it's flipping and curling every which way because my hair's curly/wavy naturally... it's a pain, I have to straighten my fringe every time I leave the house (which isn't often, since I'm a shutin and all, lololol). I think it will be easier when it gets longer and I can just tuck all my hair behind my ear.

That gallery is awesome! You even have a Comedian and a Silhouette! I'd try to get my guy to do The Comedian but I can't see him feeling too comfortable with that, haha. Maybe I can convince him to be Nite Owl when I do Silk Spectre II. :p

xsleepdeprived
03-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey everybody, 877654837374th Rorschach cosplayer here. I saw the movie a couple days after it came out, and I needed one more cosplay for a con I'm going to in April (MTAC, if anyone cares), and Rorschach was so awesome that I couldn't resist. Once I realized he was going to be this year's Joker, I still wasn't deterred. I mean...my other costume is the Joker. Nurse version though, so at least I'm a little original.

Anyway, I wanted to show you guys a couple pics of my progress, and ask a couple questions. Pics first:

Blank mask first (http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/xsleepdeprived/0314092321.jpg)
With the pattern (http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/xsleepdeprived/0314092321a.jpg)
You can see the pants better in this one...ignore the boots (http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/xsleepdeprived/0314092321a.jpg)
And just for the hell of it, Caramelldansen Rorschach (http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/xsleepdeprived/0314092321.jpg)

Now for the questions...the pattern on the mask in the pics is made of leathery material. In the pics, it's taped onto the mask with doublestick tape. I'm thinking about putting snaps on the mask, and making several different patterns that I can snap on, mixing and matching throughout the day. I think I'll also put some sort of bendable material on the back of the piece that goes over my nose, so it'll mold to my face well. What do you guys think about that plan? Any flaws in it that I haven't noticed?

Also, I have on brown pinstripe pants in these pics. I also own dark purple pants. If I can't find dark purple + pinstripes, do you guys think it would be better to have brown but pinstriped, or dark purple but no pinstripes?

Thanks so much!

Coranz
03-15-2009, 04:55 AM
For some reason, these shoes look right for SSI...apart from the shininess...HERE (http://www.cosworx.com/product.php?productid=25509&cat=2430&page=2)

What do you think...

C

Lady Skywalker
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Coranz, they look kind of high at the tow part, and her's have silver things that lace up her laces. I got mine from Spencer's. I just need to put some stuff on them to make them less shiny looking.

So, I finally finished it!!! Well, I still need the wig, and honestly, if I find better material, I'm remaking the yellow overlay. Here are some pics. Once I get the wig, I'll take nicer ones with make-up on.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/IMG_1079.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/IMG_1081.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t317/Lady_Skywalker13/IMG_1080.jpg

Coranz
03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I was worried about that as well...

You look great :D

What material did you use for the Overlay...

Coranz

Lady Skywalker
03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
But the material of those boots are better than mine. I hate the PVC look with passion. So it's up to you.

Thanks! I used a chiffon. I actually double layered it because it was more see through and her's. It's also all glittery and shiny on the right side, so I made the wrong side show outward. It's just not as bright as her's and I wish it was. It's more golden than canary.

Coranz
03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
lol If only I have the ankles for Boots...lol Covers are where it gunna be at for mine...

Last_Chael thinks, and I agree that the Fabric of SS' Overlay is more than likely Georgette...as you most likely know, Chiffon is a be-arch to work with...and too see through...lol

Everytime I crank it down to my Local Fabric store I am on the look out for it...haven't found it yet though...lol

I am on my way down to buy some Fabric for Belle and Buggy...I will have another gander for it...lol

My version needs a new skirt...I cut it out as a circle...thought it was too big, adjusted it, then it was too small and now it won't flare...lol Its gunna be fun fixing that...Hehe

Coranz

Lady Skywalker
03-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Yea, Last_Chael and I were talking about it I agree with her about the gorgette. It's definately something a little stiffer than chiffon. I went today to look for some, even white that I could dye, but nothing. I'm still on the look out!

Coranz
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Sometimes she is so 'stalker-worthy' lol Just kidding Hehe

I used 'Sun' Chiffon for mine...they only Canary Yellow they had, had blobs of glitter on it...I didn't want it to look too...weird...
I have never dyed Fabric before (which is another reason that has stopped me from make Padme's Picnic Gown...lol) But one of these days I will have to try it...

Coranz

Lady Skywalker
03-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I've never dyed either, but since this is a straight, basic color, I figured I could handle it.

I know what you mean about the globs of stuff. I found greta material but it was glitter and small rinestones all over it. Oiy.

It was the embroidery that stopped me from the picnic gown, hehe.

Pommie
03-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm contemplating doing Silk Spectre I for CONvergence this year. The more I'm looking at it, the more I'm liking it. I'm a lush for 1930s-1950s fashion...

Coranz
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I got all excited about finally finding Canary Yellow Georgette...then realised that it was Canary Yellow Lycra...LOL
Damn Spotlight for being so tricky...

lol

Good luck on your Costume, Pommie :D

Coranz

raptorguy11
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
here is my comedian WIP, yes i like making coke box armour.

Last_Chael
03-16-2009, 07:19 AM
Sometimes she is so 'stalker-worthy' lol Just kidding Hehe

Are you talking about me? Hahaha Coz I don't mind being stalked by nice costumers like yourselves. So long as you're not crazy stalker types :P Been there, done that, not fun :P

Yea, Last_Chael and I were talking about it I agree with her about the gorgette. It's definately something a little stiffer than chiffon. I went today to look for some, even white that I could dye, but nothing. I'm still on the look out!

I should point out here the difference between Georgette and Chiffon (which I learned during my stint at a high end fabric store!). Chiffon is very fine, and very translucent. The best way to describe it would be flat; it doesn't have a texture. Georgette on the other hand has a crepe like texture, which makes it slightly less translucent than Chiffon. Georgette is slightly heavier than Chiffon, but I wouldn't call it stiff. When you say stiff, it makes me think of organza, which is certainly not the fabric used.

So I'd say it's definitely georgette. You could try and dye poly georgette, but it will be difficult. You'd have better luck with silk, but that's incredibly expensive. I believe it's also more prone to snagging than the poly stuff. As it is I had a couple of snags in my costume.

Hope that helps :D

Juego
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Now for the questions...the pattern on the mask in the pics is made of leathery material. In the pics, it's taped onto the mask with doublestick tape. I'm thinking about putting snaps on the mask, and making several different patterns that I can snap on, mixing and matching throughout the day.
First, pick some inkblots from the graphic novel -- what you'd got currently is a bit too geometric.

I'd also suggest making a mask where the blots are inked/painted on. Swap out masks during the day. You really want to aim for a smooth, featureless look.

Also, I have on brown pinstripe pants in these pics. I also own dark purple pants. If I can't find dark purple + pinstripes, do you guys think it would be better to have brown but pinstriped, or dark purple but no pinstripes?

If you're going movie style, you need to have the old purple pinstripes. If you're going comic style, you can use grey pants, as he switches to those halfway through. I'm not sure how well dying a light pair of pinstripe pants may work, if you are looking for other options.

Lady Skywalker
03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
I should point out here the difference between Georgette and Chiffon (which I learned during my stint at a high end fabric store!). Chiffon is very fine, and very translucent. The best way to describe it would be flat; it doesn't have a texture. Georgette on the other hand has a crepe like texture, which makes it slightly less translucent than Chiffon. Georgette is slightly heavier than Chiffon, but I wouldn't call it stiff. When you say stiff, it makes me think of organza, which is certainly not the fabric used.

I was trying to think of the word 'textured', not stiff. I do know what you're talking about, but thanks. And form your description, it's defnately gorgette. I didn't know about dying it though. So it wouldn't work out too well? Yikes. Maybe I'll have to order this stuff from online? Because the Jo Anne's around here don't have gorgette, and of the chiffon, they only have the gold like mine is, nothing bright yellow. It's really upsetting me.

Coranz
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM
@Last_Chael: Yeah, it was about you, but of course I would never seriously stalk someone...too much work...loljk

oh crap! I totally forgot!
I know a site that has Canary Yellow Georgette...and it in NZ as well, so none of this "OMG" shipping!!

*Must find again*

raptorguy11, you armour is looking awesome, Coke rules the world, they just don't know it yet! LOL

Coranz

versipellis
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello everyone!
The release of the movie has really made me motivated to make a Watchmen cosplay, so I'm starting on a Silk Spectre II (comic version) tonight! I had a hard time finding fabric, what I got is a little more bright yellow that I would have liked, but it's good and see through, haha. My first time sewing anything like it. It will be an experience. :P

I'm probably going to wear it to Anime Boston in May. ^^ A little nervous about the whole tight-spandex-leotard-and-a-see-through-dress thing but I think it'll be fun. :>

HarleyQuinn23
03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
I plan on doing a female Comedian as one of my Dragon*Con costumes this year (other girls in my group going as Rorschach and Night Owl). I'm going to do a corset top with a matching "leg harness" over tights as a base. And of course stay true to the rest of the costume as far as pads, bandoliers, and weps go.
Latex would be the easiest material to go with for the corset and harness, not to mention the pads and gloves but I'm pretty damn allergic to latex and would likely require medical attention during the building phase alone.
Does anyone know if pvc can be, for lack of a better word, distressed? Being a veggie I'd rather stay away from leather. I'll do leather but only if I'm recycling and I don't think I'd find enough of the same leather to do what I need to do. Anyone have any suggestions or referrals to a builder who would know what to do?

Thanks!