PDA

View Full Version : Seeking~General Advice on Rem (Death Note) Cosplay Construction

Reject_Reality
07-30-2008, 04:53 AM
Hi guys! So, this will be my fourth cosplay and my first one which requires serious sewing and construction. I've stumbled across some awesome Rem cosplays online, here and elsewhere, and I'm seeking the advice of those wonderful people and/or anyone more experienced than I in the great art of cosplay! All opinions and input greatly appreciated! :)

So here's the deal:

I have a plain white wig I used in another cosplay which I plan to partly dye with a blue sharpie to make it resemble Rem's. However her hair is odd and separated for lack of a better word. Any clever, simple ideas on how to achieve this look?

Pic of the wig: http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll357/reject_reality/wigshot1.jpg

Pic of Rem's hair:http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll357/reject_reality/Rem.gif
and http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll357/reject_reality/dn2eb4.jpg

I have some basic construction plans, but please someone, ANYONE tell me if you think these sound ridiculous or if you have much better ideas as far as her outfit goes.

Full picture of Rem: http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll357/reject_reality/charaRem.jpg

My plan:

Begin with a fitted black shirt sewn with strips of white fabric all over, then shaped white felt and cardboard for the center and hip bone structures + white felt cuffs and spikes up the arms. And more cardboard and felt for the shoulder/neck area.

White pants with shaped cardboard+felt for the leg bones

Not to mention face paint, white cloth for my face, earrings, etc.

I'm open to any kind advice! Thanks everyone!

Reject_Reality
07-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Anybody?:confused:

Sunarry
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
I saw someone cosplay Rem once, she used paper mache to make her costume. It gives it a much real look but warning it's so hard to move around. For the wig use alot of gel and the sharpie sounds like a good idea but I think paint would work better. I hope that helps!!
*Nya*

Reject_Reality
08-02-2008, 07:03 PM
*bumpbump*

o01101011
08-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Rems hair, for lack of a better description, is dreaded. I don't believe there is a way to do it with your current wig.

As for the body, it wont be comfortable, but rems basically covered in armor and you should probably go in that direction instead of fabric. Fabric rems turn bad really quick.

Reject_Reality
08-03-2008, 02:05 AM
That's not very encouraging. :confused: But thanks for the input.

Really? Almost every Rem I've seen was fabric, and most of them looked great. :angel2:

o01101011
08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
^^; sorry, I'm not an encouraging person.

If you look at 3d models or the movie rendition you can see that its really meant to be more like armor.

http://www.cornerstorecomics.com/images/sta_deathnote_craft_rem.jpg

It shouldn't be to difficult to make the cuffs from a base like cardboard then cover them and mold the details from rigid wrap. You could then attack each piece by fishing line so they don't slip around and you could just slide them on over the sleeve of a black shirt. The torso could be done by making a base piece almost like classic armor where it latches at the shoulders and side and then building up on to that the "ribs" spikes, ect.

You're actually rather lucky because unlike most anime series you can have professional 3D references where most are limited to 2D and have to guess how something will look in 3d.

As for the "wig" theres a relatively cheap solution. You could make each piece from felt. Make the proper shape and fill it then simply sew it to a wig cap, stocking cap, ect. Felt will have that slightly fuzzy feel/look while keeping with rems odd solid shape of hair.

Nandra
08-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Just a warning: you should take this reply with salt. Very large, heavy amounts of salt. (My experience with cosplay is limited in the extreme.)

When I look at Rem cosplays, I find that the cloth/foam hair sometimes seems odd - I like your idea of starting from an actual wig. So, my first thought is: can you just mix up a diluted glue mixture, and use it to permanently style the hair? (Kind of like paper-macheing it, in a way.)

Obviously, it would be a disaster with most characters, since it would make it look way less like hair; but since Rem's hair is so - tentacle-like, for lack of a better word, I think it might work.

By the way, I'm a huge Death Note fan, too. Good luck with your costume, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

blackcat523
08-04-2008, 02:04 PM
For wigs (spikes and such) got2b spiking glue. The stuff is like caulk for your hair and holds really well (used it for the spikes in my L wig when nothing else worked).

As for Rem, take your time with it and do what you want, fabric, armor, what ever your comfortable working with. Rem is a hard outfit. I suggest working in pieces instead of trying to tackle the whole thing. Break it down into areas and experiment to see what works best for you. Some are better with papermache and cardboard while others (like me) are good with fabric and sewing.

Take your time with it and see what you come up with.

Reject_Reality
08-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Blackcat~ Thanks so much! That's very encouraging! My friend just returned home from CA and is going to help me with some papermache for Rem's feet and possibly some other parts. But for most of her outfit I'm relying on my skill with cloth. I started making the shoulder spikes from felt and posterboard and they're going pretty well so far, other than lacking stiffness (but I figure I can always add some wire or more poster board). Anyway, I truly appreciate your input! :) Thanks for the suggestions too!

Just a warning: you should take this reply with salt. Very large, heavy amounts of salt. (My experience with cosplay is limited in the extreme.)

When I look at Rem cosplays, I find that the cloth/foam hair sometimes seems odd - I like your idea of starting from an actual wig. So, my first thought is: can you just mix up a diluted glue mixture, and use it to permanently style the hair? (Kind of like paper-macheing it, in a way.)

Obviously, it would be a disaster with most characters, since it would make it look way less like hair; but since Rem's hair is so - tentacle-like, for lack of a better word, I think it might work.

By the way, I'm a huge Death Note fan, too. Good luck with your costume, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks! I'm glad you agree that starting from a wig with work! I'm hoping it will, and I agree with you. Sounds like a good idea. I just finished sharpie-dyeing the ends of the wig and tomorrow I'm going to start with hairspray and work up from there. I appreciate your help! :bigtu:

RagDollCosplay
06-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I am also planning to be a Rem Cosplayer for my cosplay the wig I am going to get a tad longer http://www.animestuffstore.com/majo-c-6150-p-1-pr-25677.html in The platinum blonde sharpie dye it and dred it in thick dred randomly through out the wig much like thishttp://th02.deviantart.net/fs26/300W/f/2008/153/c/b/Cosplay__DeathNote___Remu_001_by_NienZien_ya.jpg but I am going to braid a thick braid first just so I have a basis and then I am going to put the dreds around the braids. As far as the actual body comes I am going to make myself taller because I am only 5'5'' I want to be 7' from head to toe so I will be wearing stilts that and I find that the shinigamis when I picture them in the real world they are much much taller then the humans and when ryuk stands next to light which is what about 6'1''? maybe ryuke sort of towers over him so I am going to be wearing My secret design of stilts. as far as making the armor like outter shell of Rem I am not sure what I am going to do so I can't help you on that But thats my wig idea! :D I wish you luck in your endevors to make your Rem cosplay!