PDA

View Full Version : Matt's (Death note) pants?

petitangel1095
08-04-2008, 11:20 PM
So I told my friend that I would make her pants for her Matt cosplay for Otakon, but the thing is, I have no idea how to do it.
.___.;
I was thinking I could just cut up the pants then sew them back together for that effect, and maybe fray the edges of the cut up parts before sewing them back together.

Ideas/suggestions?
(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm fairly new to this stuff. .__.; )

-Sorry about the lack of referance pictures, his pants are like, rarely in any pictures I can find..

kenshin-chan64
08-05-2008, 12:43 AM
woot! someone that wants to do the pleets!

well, i couldnt find the exact page number in the manga that shows him (if you want to search yourself, go to onemanga.com), but here is a picture someone drew based off of the very picture i was looking for (http://silentreaper.deviantart.com/art/Death-Note-Matt-Anim-Artwork-46222914). as you can see, they arent a frayed edge look that you might be thinking about.

what i did for my pants, was choose a width for inbetween the pleets ant measure and cut (i did 4.5"). make sure to keep track of the 'top' and 'bottom' of your cut pieces.

the next will be sooo much easier if your sewing machine has a small base or something. you take the bottom of the very top part (the bottom cut that is now the bottom of the now pants), you fold it over a little, like you are making a hem, and sew it onto the 'top' of the next piece (if you want to make it easy, sew the hem shape first, then follow the sew line when puting it on the next piece).

keep doing the same thing till you reach the last piece and are done! (you might need to buy some extra jean material from a fabric store if they come up short like i did and the pants dont quite tuck into your boots).

if you have an old cluncker sewing machine like i do, and cant get the circle of the pants around the base of the machine to get to the needle, let me know, it's sewn a diffrent, and harder way.

if it doesnt make sence or you want some pictures of wyat my pants looked like when i did it, PM me and i'll give it to you (dont curently have any pictures of them on the internet).

good luck and i love you for wanting to actualy sew the pleets in, and not draw them on with markers!

HyperShadow
08-05-2008, 01:15 AM
This might come in handy - http://tofualchemist.deviantart.com/art/MATTEHPANTSPLZ-A-Tutorial-87817892

=3

petitangel1095
08-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Sweet! Thank you so much!
Yeah, my friend was all like, I want the pants to look juat like his!
But it's harder then I thought it was gonna be.
And I may need to sew it by hand seeing as how my sewing machine is actually kind of old. D:

HyperShadow
08-05-2008, 02:23 AM
No problem, glad I could help! =D
I thought about doing the pants, and I may someday, but for now I just can't be bothered with it. XD;

Good luck with the pants! =3

kenshin-chan64
08-05-2008, 03:40 AM
This might come in handy - http://tofualchemist.deviantart.com/art/MATTEHPANTSPLZ-A-Tutorial-87817892

=3

yeah, that is another way to do it. in fact, lots of people do it that way, but my old sewing machine wouldnt be strong enough to go through that many layers of jeans, so that's why i cut then sewed mine :3