PDA

View Full Version : Death Note cosplay:Matt's vest

KaniKano
08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I would like to know where I could buy or how to make Matt's vest.

navigated
08-05-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm quite certain this is at least the 4th time I have said this on the forums, Matt's vest does not exist, its very much something you're going to have to make for yourself.

As for the actual construction (this is a very bare bones way to make it - there are much sturdier ways to make this vest), you're going to probably want to buy a jacket pattern with a mock collar (one that sticks up like Matt's vest) make the jacket as instructed, leave off the sleeves and add the fur where it needs to go. A very basic walkthrough on Matt's vest.

I'd also use the search function on the forums, this question has been asked millions of times.

kenshin-chan64
08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
ooh! the moment i read the first post, i knew you were going to be here and probably annoyed navigated!

but yes, just do that and you will be fine. if you get confused, just do a search on the forums and there are other threads that might go into more detail

navigated
08-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Haha, well it's not really me being annoyed, I'm mostly just confused as to why people expect Matt's costume to be easy, or expect to be able to find something so specific as his vest in stores. Matt, while he's wearing street clothes, wears things that aren't exactly common. Jeans with horizontal seams, gauntlets, a striped shirt (which, admittedly I was surprised as to how hard those things are to find). While Death Note is a series full of street clothes, it is also a series full of clothes no one actually wears.

But as it's been said twice now, really do check out other DN threads and Matt threads, his vest is very much a hot topic of conversation and there's sure to be lots of advice elsewhere.

ShikaChu
08-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I was looking for a vest thread and this was the first one I found. *to keep these threads down I'll ask here*

What would be a good base to make the vest out of? I was going to just try and buy a vest and add faux fur (which I've seen other people do) but I was also thinking that I might help my mom make me one from scratch. I found a few fishing vests that might have worked, but they seemed kind of ... just wrong. Any advice?

Mattastilicous
12-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I had a red jacket that happened to have a brown fleece lining, so I turned it inside out, cut off the sleeves, and sewed on fake fur. I think, however, if you want it to look really authentic you're better off making a vest from scratch (it was pure chance that the lining of the thing was brown; and even then it's a bit too dark).

sugar_suicide
10-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Actually you CAN buy Matt's vest. It's $90 with shipping but it's awesome...here's the link..

http://chibibuu.com/gallery.html

haaku1234
10-18-2011, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=navigated;2565680]I'm quite certain this is at least the 4th time I have said this on the forums, Matt's vest does not exist, its very much something you're going to have to make for yourself.
QUOTE]

Though it will probably be impossible to find now and making it would undoubtedly fit better, I actually did find a perfect Matt vest at Ross one day. My Beyond told me about it and lo and behold, there it was.

The angle's a bit odd and My shirts sticking out from the bottom--I was not expecting Mello's dad to want a picture--but there you have it!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=190133264379695&set=t.100000750750102&type=3&theater