PDA

View Full Version : Death Note cosplay (kill your friends)

LoveTheBomb
08-09-2008, 12:22 AM
as in, the actual death note.

the box will be the same size as my older Seele box (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Xiao-Mei/0012t9bw.jpg) but will have an added layer on the front for the cover.

Notice the little door that my badge is hanging out of. There will be another one on the death note, but I am unsure if I want it to be through the cover as well, or just on the paper part so that I can open my cover at will. It'll either be that or tell people to open it for me and then hand them a sharpie through the door then (there will be space for people to write names)(So you can kill your friends in horrible ways!). There is also going to be another door on the side so I can reach through and...not be able to see my hand so I'll be groping at random.

Click for a hastily drawn diagram
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Xiao-Mei/img267.jpg)
So, any suggestions for improvments?
--with love, The Atomic Bomb

nitrofreak06
08-09-2008, 12:52 AM
well i can tell you this, its the first time i seen something like this. so a+ for that :D but from the image you posted, it doesnt have deathnote written on it. your going to do the same but its going to look like a deathnote instead? only thing that i can think of is dont go so thick try to go thin as possible but not to the point where you might lose your balance and mess up your cosplay =D

EasilyAmewsed
08-09-2008, 01:06 AM
This made me smile.. ;) Funny & interactive
My first wonder was..how are you going to keep the cover shut? I'm guessing black velcro or some kind of pull string you can operate...
I agree having your badge on the paper side of the book would be better so it doesn't interfere with openings & closings.
EA

LoveTheBomb
08-09-2008, 01:34 AM
well i can tell you this, its the first time i seen something like this. so a+ for that :D but from the image you posted, it doesnt have deathnote written on it. your going to do the same but its going to look like a deathnote instead? only thing that i can think of is dont go so thick try to go thin as possible but not to the point where you might lose your balance and mess up your cosplay =D
There is going to be deathnote written on the front, that was the inside cover. I'm not sure if I'm going to be putting the rules on the inside cover or not.

This made me smile.. ;) Funny & interactive
My first wonder was..how are you going to keep the cover shut? I'm guessing black velcro or some kind of pull string you can operate...
I agree having your badge on the paper side of the book would be better so it doesn't interfere with openings & closings.
EA
I was going to have a string duct taped on the cover that I could tape on the inside, through the side door. Hopefully when I'm leaning over to make the cover shut it'll be endearingly cute and not just awkward looking.

calen383
08-09-2008, 10:56 AM
You could rig it up so there is a string you hold onto on the inside to keep it shut. Then put springs or something akin to springs to let the cover spring open when you let go of the string.

LoveTheBomb
08-09-2008, 11:01 AM
You could rig it up so there is a string you hold onto on the inside to keep it shut. Then put springs or something akin to springs to let the cover spring open when you let go of the string.
Hmm...that does dound like it'll work, but I'm a little hesitant about attaching stuff to it. I'm paranoid about them falling off in the middle of the day.

calen383
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Make it so it won't. You'll have to make it somewhat sturdy anyway. I've seen Death Note fans at cons. You'll be lucky if you make it out of the con with under 50 glomps by the end of the day (I pity you, btw). Make the entire thing very sturdy. You'll need it.

And if the springs fall off...wouldn't you be back to your original design anyway? You might even be able to put the springs on the inside of the box with you if you design it correctly.

LoveTheBomb
08-09-2008, 01:19 PM
'tis true, there's nothing I could loose. I have three enourmos rolls of duct tape only for this box, it should be pretty sturdy. I just hope no one glomps me hard enough that I fall over and can't get up...

(so I'd probably need something a little sturdier than just a string holding it closed, I'd probably have some sort of metal handle or even hook lock on the side. Hmm.)

Koisnake
08-09-2008, 01:27 PM
That idea is so creative.

If you want the front cover page to actually close, I'd suggest you have a little velcro to keep it shut. Fangirls can easily open and shut your book when they are finished 'killing'.

Great idea, though, very original!

LoveTheBomb
08-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Mm Ah, n... *thinking*
I'm thinking that I'm going to be going with the velcro now instead of the springs. It's much easier to attach and I don't have to worry as much about it coming off in the middle.

laparapa
08-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Haha. My sister had the very same idea. Props to you. Depending on how heavy this may be, and how much you can carry, perhaps you could use a whiteboard for the "paper"? That way, you won't run out of space to write names and whatnot.

KoudelkaUK
08-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I love this idea! So much more original than the million and one L, Light and Melo cosplays there are going around!

abubacar
08-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Haha this would be really really fun to see. Great idea! I would say some kind of velcro would work to keep the cover shut.