PDA

View Full Version : Cna2003

lainey
07-07-2003, 09:42 PM
There really should be a seperate forum for this con.

Anyways..
what are you guys cosplaying as?

Just *curious*

I'm going as Yuna from X-2..popstar.

Sarcasm-hime
07-07-2003, 11:36 PM
I won't have time to make a new costume for CNAnime, as I'll be desperately trying to finish my Worldcon costumes....so if I go to CN, I'll probably just wear Ayumi, possibly Snapdragon.

heki-chan
07-08-2003, 12:47 AM
ragnarooook ^0^

Chosuke
07-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Well I'm bringing:

Gippel <FFx-2>

Anji Mito <GGX2>

Ryoma Echizen <PoT>

SUPAH SECRET COSTUME NUMBAH FIVE. and its number five because the longe the name is the cooler it sounds.

lainey
07-08-2003, 09:48 AM
Sarcasm-hime, so that's who you were cosplaying as!

*understands now*

We were arguing on who you were cosplaying as...
omigosh that's a good idea though!

Sarcasm-hime
07-08-2003, 01:14 PM
nyuuuuuu...I wanna make Ragnarok costumes.....but have no time.....bleh. Next year maybe. *sigh*

Vanity Fading
07-08-2003, 03:34 PM
I am planning to go as May from Guilty Gear, hopefully I'll be done by then *crosses fingers*

lainey
07-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat
Well I'm bringing:

Gippel <FFx-2>

Anji Mito <GGX2>

Ryoma Echizen <PoT>

SUPAH SECRET COSTUME NUMBAH FIVE. and its number five because the longe the name is the cooler it sounds.

lol are you going as Gippel on Friday?
MUAH Must find you then..going as FFX-2 character as well.. *hunts*

Chosuke
07-08-2003, 04:35 PM
Yep!
And I will be with my Baralai too!

mikcy
07-08-2003, 04:51 PM
[KR]cube Shinya, Toshiya with his diamond/checkered pants, and Gunner Paine from FFX-2. Let's just hope I can finish them all by then. X.x;

Chosuke
07-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Ooh..I LOVE gunner Paine!
I want get pics with ALL the FFX-2 Cosplayers..though that might be quite alot xD

Kikoro
07-08-2003, 05:49 PM
I will be cosplaying as movie version Hitomi. This time i plan to have wings. weee!

Kia
07-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Sarcasm-hime, you are always welcome to join our group when you have the time....if you want to be part of a group... ^_^

Ryukka
07-08-2003, 10:04 PM
So far (if my friend katie is coming):

Naria (escaflowne, katie will be eriya)
Millia Range (GGX/GGX-2)
and I'm still deciding on a third costume, possably Selphie (FFVIII) if my online friend ends up coming up for it, (he'll be zell X3 yayy zelphie) and if not, maybe a version of yuna or something. If I have time, then I'd really like to do Toshiya from Dir En Grey, or Hide, maybe mana. Dunno.

Kikoro: omg if my friend and I end up doing naria and eriya and we have to get pictures with you X3

Mekou
07-08-2003, 10:18 PM
I am going to be

Anzu Mazaki's school uniform! =D And I have a secret crossplay
and yet anohter secret cosutme! =D
But that last one may be saved for AN04

JustinCredible
07-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Most likely either "Listerine: The Action Fighter For Your Mouth" or "Halls Fruit Breezers" commercial character...

I haven't decided which... or if I'm lucky both...

mikcy
07-08-2003, 11:33 PM
LMAO I love those choices XD No really I do! XD

Chosuke
07-09-2003, 08:59 AM
Listerine! Listerine!

Ryukka
07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
omg go as listerine XDDD thats so great, i'd probably stalk you untill I got loads of pictures BWAHAHA

Kikoro
07-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Ryukka definitely! I want lots of pics with people at this con, my pics didnt turn out all that great at AN03.

Cole
07-21-2003, 08:20 PM
I'll be going as Cloud Strife (not KH Cloud) and my sister will be going as Seung Mina from Soul Caliber.

lainey
07-21-2003, 09:58 PM
*dances*
I'm going to need a pic with you then Cole :D

coscrew
07-24-2003, 12:51 PM
same as AN, crono and marle. cn's getting non-new costume worthy anymore =(

Kisa
07-24-2003, 02:31 PM
I agree coscrew. I'm rewearing at least two costumes, and my only new one is so the poor guests at which it is aimed at, is so they have SOME good memories.

nuriko001
07-24-2003, 02:45 PM
was goign to do frodo.. but.. due to laziness, and lack of money can't:(..maybe i'll have it next year.. plus..we didn't have a ful lord of the rings group..maybe nextyear, we can plan a huge!!!lord of the rings group!!!!

as for me, only like one outfit psycho le cemu roman hikou:P

Minakolabelle
07-24-2003, 04:08 PM
I have 4 new ones, but I make my costumes for the sake of making them....

i wanna do 5 now so I can be cowboy toshiya >.>

Kisa
07-24-2003, 04:12 PM
I make mine for the sake of making them too, but dammed if I'm going to put effort into finishing them, and stressing out to get them Pretty and Done for CNA, which doesn't deserve them.
I'd rather do them at my own pace and just take pretty pictures.

Plus, it also satisfies my need to be bitter at CNA for being so damn crappy. (and yes, I mean this in the sense that it sucks, not that it's full of stuff.)

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 04:28 PM
:juggler: I've got WAY TOO MUCH to do with revamping my worldcon costume, (I just got back from a week at G-FEST and I'm really behind, not to mention that I'm still strugling with the remodelling of our house and there is no where to put anything or even sit down! Argh!

Soooo... I probably won't be in costume at SFX. I've been asked to help out at the Masq anyhow. I look forward to seeing you all there!

:dance: ~ Dawn :)

Kisa
07-24-2003, 04:46 PM
at least it means the Masq. wont be like Last Year. *grumbles*

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Kisa
at least it means the Masq. wont be like Last Year. *grumbles*

??? <curious look> :confused:

mikcy
07-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'm dense and like to change my outfits. So far, I've only kept one outfit that I orignally chose. Oh well. Got myself 3 outfits. Yes.

Chosuke
07-24-2003, 07:28 PM
This' will be my first time at CN..
I'm guessing whether I bother to Haul ass for Cn costumes next yeyar depends on my experience this year.

Kisa
07-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Before this turns into Me being a rambling ball of fury, i'll point to kevin's page and last year's CNA report.

http://www.stillvisions.com/events/CNA2002/CNA1.htm

It's mostly why I would refuse to PAY for the event itself, and the details of the problems with the masq. are quite easy to find, and why I will not participate IN a masq. at CNA again, until things change for the better.

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 11:25 PM
He already KNOWS what I think of his review, but I'll post my comments here just because his anger is misdirected. I belive that we've cleared up some misconceptions since Kevin originally wrote that piece but I want to rebut what was said for those people who don't know.

So we had the first two acts up: the junior division. One was a really cute kid dressed as Draco (from Harry Potter). Xiola called out "Draco sexypants!" to him. I'm sure his mother was thrilled; at least Xiola didn't give him her phone number...

She was. I asked. She agrees, Draco IS a sexypants although she's more of a Snape fan herself. Hands off until he's 18. :D

The next number was a Predator costume done by a professional design company. Entered as a junior entry. Grand. Most competitions don't allow professional entries compete for awards, let alone in the junior division.

NO ONE mentioned this to the masquerade director BEFORE HAND. Rules state you can't deny someone entry based on something you suspect. Personally I was suspicious but even I had no proof.

Novice? Yeah, right...

I know guys that would kick his ass out of the water and they've never been in a masq in thier life and are therefore technically a novice. I'm not saying he was, but if there was PROOF why didn't anyone come forward at the time?

Oh, and in any other masquerade would not be allowed in competition, let alone in he novice division. Apparently, since the guy in the professionally funded and team-built suit had never been in a masq before, it was a novice entry. Right.

Same questions. Same argument. You can't deny someone entry to the masquerade because they LOOK proffessional. Not without proof.

Not to sound conspiratorial here, but the fact this entry got placed first among the non-junior cosplayers seemed to be a little less than conicidence; I wonder who they knew on the inside to get that done. Or how much they paid to get the best placement, especially since I saw that costume entered near the end of the registration line.

This is the first slap in the face ANYONE who's been involved in the local masquerades KNOWS that where you get placed in the line has NOTHING to do with the order in which your registered. The competetors are mixed together. Sometimes special requests are granted such as "Please put me first because my suit is heavy and hot" or "not after Derwin Mak", but generally they are spaced out with an even level all thru. FACT: Said person didn't know ANYONE, and we didn't know him.
He may have requested to go first so he could collect his kid for all you know.

Xiola heckeled Gordon when he announced it as a novice entry. Gordon said "that's what the form says".

Fair enough, but ut was such an unfair entry, especially as a novice. I'd mention the company, but that would provide publicity.

Once again you never volunteered the information, and you're still not. That's your negligence. If you were so concerned you'd expose these people so it doesn't happen again.

Too bad the technical staff hadn't done the same. First off the lights: there weren't any. Dim house lights were provided. When the crowd shouted to turn them up, it took them fifteen minutes to find the switch. No spots, no colours, nothing; just a guy and a switch. Grand.

Newsflash. There WAS NO TECHNICAL STAFF. This is one of my constant bitches. It was some people who care about the masquerade who stepped in at the last minute and did the best they could. Appearently their efforts were wasted tho as some peoople are ingrates.

Then there's the stage ninjas. All two of them. Stage ninjas are supposed to make the onstage task easier for the people onstage. Like helping them set up and strike what few props they have, making sure people enter and exit properlly, and also making sure nobody falls off the stage.
I guess the fact that there was only light controller meant the last one wasn't too likely, since the whole auditorium was lit. Still, a catcher or two would be a good idea.

We heartily agree. VOLUNTEER YOUR ASS.

, it sould come as no surprise that the presentation aspect of the performace lives and dies on the sound. This importance has apparently been lost on the organizers of CNAnime.

Thank you for pointing out that it was the organizers and not the masquerade staff who once again tried to do the impossible with nothing.

w was the sound? Well, for some people it seemed to work just fine. For others, the sound techs were overcome by the technical complexities of magical devices known as cassette tapes. Others had blaring sound, while others had barely audible sound, and one had none at all.

We need a panel on how to prepare tapes and CD's within an acceptable sound range. This is an ongoing problem at every con. Unfortunately we're not all sound engeneers but there are some tricks that we could all learn to make life easier. <scribbles notes>

It might have been clever, had the words been audible, and the music more than barely audible. Oh, and it would have been nice if the techs had cued the sound properlly too, but I won't ask too much here. So, the result was an act that could not be understood by the crowd, a gag that didn't happen, and a whole lot of work for naught.

Once again we're under the mistaken impression that there was sound equipment and sound techs provided. (BZZZT! WRONG ANSWER) It's not a fan run con. And only the masq staff seems to give a shit and do the best they can. It was pulled together to make the show as good as possible under horrible circumstanses because they love masquerade and masqueraders Why can't people write CNanime and complain instead of posting nasty accusations about the masq volunteers? Being informed before you rant would help too. >:(

Well, you say, couldn't people have won awards based on the strength of the costumes alone? Maybe, but there were no set workmanshp awards, which are designed to go to such acts. You see, workmanship awards are generally judged beforehand so that the judges can actually see the costumes up close; CNA has no such judging. So unless you're the costume built by the professional design studio, no dice for workmanship alone...

Reason # 101 why totally fan run cons are better, but that being said you always have some jerk who bitches that FAN RUN cons don't give REAL PRIZES. :rolleyes:

Complain to CNanime (not the masq staff who have no power), volunteer or better yet Support Anime North and Toronto Trek and Ad Astra and other cool Local cons that DO have all that great stuff like equipment and workmanship awards and staff that aren't treated like crap.......

Some of you may be saying right now "aren't people taking this a little too seriously?"

[i]Here's what the judges couldn't see:
(note this is hand painted...)

OH were YOU a judge. No you weren't. Don't tell us what the judges saw and didn't see because you don't know.

In live shows, for every second you see on stage, many hours of work have been performed by many people that you may never see, or may only read about on the program. Their masquerade act was the culmination of hours of design and creation, mostly costume work but various other prep activities as well. Most of them had barely slept over the last few days in order to complete the untold hours of work. That, and costumes aren't cheap; most spent a great deal of money on their costumes as well.

I was rude and gawked at some strange looking people outside. I took a photo of them looking in, wishing they were normal like us...

And all that derailed by a sound tech who hasn't figured out the concept of sound levels.

NOT A SOUND TECH. (I repeat) NOT A SOUND TECH. NO SOUND TECH VOLUNTEERED and last time I checked kidnapping was illegal. True, it sucks. I've had it happen to me, but unless people volunteer or CNanime starts paying people, <sarcasm>sure they will </sarcasm> There is nothing you or I or anyone else who's not a sound Tech can do about it.

Tell me you wouldn't be mad. I dare you.

I would. BUT now I also volunteer at every major local con to help the masquerade just for reasons like the ones above.

But, there is a competition; if they want to, they can make it a non-sanctioned event. But then, less precious admission dollars would come in. That, and the participants have put a lot of time into their costume; you'd hope that the techs would prepare too.

There... were.... no...sound....techs.... there was barely even sound.

Another thing said was that the people running the show were volunteers, and thus a professional level of work can't be expected.

Bullshit. Utter bullshit.

Just because you're not paid doesn't make you any less accountable. I used to be a volunteer camp counsellor at a tennis camp. Would it have been okay if I'd lost a kid and said "hey, it's not like you pay me"? Sure, I could wing the odd tennis ball off an annoying kid's head by accident, but ultimately I had all the respopnsibilities of a paid counsellor. You agree to the job as given to you; if you don't want to do it, then you decline.

Get your facts straight. No one agreed to anything. There was no sound and the masquerade contestants were about to be hung out to dry. It's only because someone stepped in and provided the missing equipment and manpower, onsite, at the time, that there was any sound at all.

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 11:26 PM
Did I ever mention I love my job? Just checking...
I've done lots of work for free (and even more at personal cost) It'd be nice if the people involved helped out because they'd like to see the show go well. Even just enough to run throught the tapes, make sure they're cued, and note the volume levels for each. Other cons do it; maybe CNAnime should as well.

Did I mention that CNAnime considers the masquearade and after hours non event? That the only reason there is a masquerade is that 3 or 4 of the same people who run your other local cons volunteer a hell of alot of thier time to do the job of 20 people with none of the usual support or equipment? There isn't even a masquerade office, and there wasn't any equipment to cue the tapes up on even if there had been. DID I MENTION that power outlets are 100$ a day at the MTTC and they won't even provide us with one free of charge? Did I mention that alot of the expense for these masqurades come out of the Masqurade directors pockets becasue they love you guys so much?? Great way to show your thanks I must say. :fuming:

Yes I'm ranting. Yes I know this is for what should be a fun time for all involved. But guess what: losing hours of work to a shoddy stage crew isn't fun. Period. Trust me: I've been there from my days in a pit orchestra...

So of course you'll be volunteering this year right?

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Before this turns into Me being a rambling ball of fury, i'll point to kevin's page and last year's CNA report.

http://www.stillvisions.com/events/CNA2002/CNA1.htm

It's mostly why I would refuse to PAY for the event itself, and the details of the problems with the masq. are quite easy to find, and why I will not participate IN a masq. at CNA again, until things change for the better.

Yes I've seen this rant. (see notes above). Why not write to the organizers and suggest a better venue, or time for a technical rehersal or a greenroom? I'm sure they think everything is hunky dory. By posting nasty stuff like the stuff above you're only hurting the people who want to help most. I suggest you talk to Barb and Martin and see where the real problems lie. On a brighter note, SFX is giving the masquerade a supposedly better venue, (and audotorium), only time will tell....

Cheers!
~!Dawn

Kisa
07-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Well, we talked to three sets of people after the Masq, and only the people on sunday bothered to really even listen to us, so I dunno.
I mean, we Saw Barb and co. trying their best to run things, and we know it wasn't THEM that were the real problem, but when people just 'unhuh.' and then ignore you when you try to discuss things, it doesn't get very far.

The people who DID talk to us, told us to tell people why it was broken and not to participate, because that was the only way that the execs. will realize that people *aren't happy* is that they'll notice that the bottom line is being affected and be forced to care a little more.

I honestly suspect that's why we have a better venue THIS year. They KNOW we were pissed, because I told the staff people last year point blank that I woulnd't be IN another masq. there, and that I would make sure people knew how badly CNA was run, and mentioned Queen's and the club, and the CCML and that I knew a LOT of people online.
THey seemed to notice that part of it anyway.

Kaijugal
07-25-2003, 01:06 AM
In this case you're being proactive. I knew I love you for a reason. ;) :D <dodges swat> Hell, you're even helping out this year. I'm glad. I wish more people were like you. :spinner: (damn no clapping smiley!)

Kisa
07-25-2003, 01:42 AM
I wish more people were like me too. The world would be a much better place.
Or at least, it wouldn't annoy me as much, because my armies of minions would have killed all the annoying people, and there would be icecream, coffee and grapefruit for all!

Chosuke
07-25-2003, 02:10 AM
A world full of kisa..:o

There would be no Jesus.
Just...Tree-san.

Sarcasm-hime
07-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Mmmmm, grapefruit.

Re: CN...I don't think I'll actually pay admission, since I find the con rather uninteresting. I'll probably show up in costume, hang around and socialize, and then organize a big dinner excursion to the Old Spaghetti factory or something. XD

Ninja Sensei
07-25-2003, 12:32 PM
OMG!!!! What is going on here? Rants 'R Us??? LOL!

(Let me just say that I, for one, enjoy Stillvisions' reviews. I may not agree with them 100% ... but then I don't write them.)

Stillvisions made a lot of good points in his review. He has many friends who are intimately involved with costuming and can therefore provide input from both the particpants' and the spectators' POV.

Kaijugal made a lot of good points. The staffing of the masquerade at CNA has woefully been less than supported. Many times we've had to rely on the help of people who you might best call "friends of costuming." (i.e. people who don't costume but are real troopers when it comes to supporting the hobby.)

Sarcasm-Hime made some good points. If you're not satisfied with what you're getting for your money, find a way to get what you want out of the day. In her case, just show up and socialise ... she's still "showing the flag" in support of the hobby.

Kisa made some good points. She didn't have fun, so she's finding her own way to support the hobby and still have fun.

Now comes my PSA portion of the post...:D

I must say that the support staff this year should be quite substantial. I have had 16 people volunteer to be ninjas at CNA!!! Many of these volunteers are hard-core costumers who have decided to lend a hand in fixing a process that they see needs fixing. Now, once we're on the ground we may end up using all these resources in different ways (like sound, lights (if any), green room, etc) but they are now part of the solution. (BTW - Kisa is among them, as is Stillvisions.)

And to Kaijugal's point of supporting other local conventions' masquerades, I was so pleased to see so many of the steady AN/CNA crowd at TT This year participating in the masquerade. Those who I talked to afterwards had many interesting reactions to the experience.:) (And you can bet that Kaijugal will be helping out behind the scenes at CNA as well.)

Many of you may not know but there are many other costumers out there who don't make it to AN or CNA ... because they feel that anime is not their bag. (Isn't it odd that the first reaction of those who I encountered at AN/CNA to encourage competing at TT or Ad Astra have said that "SF/Fantasy is not my bag"... Hmmm ... ;) ) I know some of you are goin to get the chance to meet many master costumers from the US when WroldCon hits town. I encourage you all to chat with them. And if you feel you need an introduction to some of them, if I can I will try and facilitate one.

(A funny story as an aside to this ... at a panel at TT this year, many of the younger costumers (I think all of them are on this board) were shocked to hear that some of the masters only worked on 1 costume a season and competed it at more than one convention. These comments were funny because what immediately followed was a question of: "I'm graduating this year and getting a full-time low-paying job next year. How can I keep up with making 5 costumes for each con I go to? I'll have no time and no money?"

... Do you see the irony?)

To wrap up (because I'm turning into a big bag o' wind), I think that it is a great thing that many of you are starting to branch out into learning how these shows work behind the scenes. After all, the people doing it now will not be doing it forever. And wouldn't you rather attend a masquerade where people know what they're doing?

(Maybe I shoulda wrapped with something like: "For just pennies a day, you can help these costumers ...;) )

lainey
07-25-2003, 01:31 PM
lol just walk around the con in costume O_o

i find that is quite silly...i dunno..just does :D

What costume are u bringing?

JustinCredible
07-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Way to go Gord!
If I wasn't planing on entering the masq... I would SOOOOO be a ninja... I'm glad that Kisa and Stillvisions have joined instead! Kinda reminds me of when I joined my high school yearbook!

Anyways, regardless of whatever problems there were last year, I as an audience member had a TON of fun. I can understand the anger of masqers who have unforseen situations occur and disrupt there plans... but hey it happens!

I'm 100% sure I appluaded your effort.

Sarcasm-hime
07-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Well I've been going to CN for many years now, and don't find it really worth the money IMHO. (If they offered a one-day admission, then maybe) But anyways, there would be no reason for me to go except to be able to hang and chat with cool people that I don't get to see very often. *shrug*

As for costumes, I was hoping to wear Windy, but I don't think I can do it without some kind of setup/storage space. So I might just do Hyakurin (Blade of the Immortal) or Minami (Neoranga).

Chosuke
07-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Ooh Neo Ranga!
I LOVE that show.. The costumes are so pretty!

Anyway.. from what I've been hearing I'm kind of not wanting to buy a pass since they are so expensive and i'll mainly just be walking anf talking anyway..
But I guess I'll need it to get into the masq.

new costume added to my list if I didn't add him before:

Son Goku from Saiyuki - Manga version

Minakolabelle
07-25-2003, 11:45 PM
I'll be the nice one here and offer my room sence I'm staying in the crown plaza this year, and I'll be the only one in costume so there should be pleanty of space for you sarcasm.

Kisa
07-26-2003, 12:19 AM
I'm staying at Xio's house ^_^ it's cheaper then a hotel.
But yeah. I'm with Sarcasm in the sense that I don't really find CNA to be much interesting since there's very little to do or see. I only plan to go to socalize with my friends before school starts, and tuition is due and I have to crack down and be all academic. It's the last chance to cosplay seriously over the summer. :(

The reason I usually point to Stillvisions page, is that he tends to cover more then I would from just my view. He hangs out with like five seperate people who all have their various interconnecting circles, so he gets a LOT of stories. Plus, he isn't really a fan. He doesn't know a lot of the inner-circle and thus more objective then I would be. I'd be like freekin' Modivational Speaker Orlando Bloom "That's Fantastic! THey're so NICE!"

Some of the stories are stupidly exagerated. Some are pragmatic and sarcastic. But it's doing what it should be. It's getting the word out about the good, the Bad and horribly ugly.

I feel bad for the people running the Masq. because I know they try hard. But even trying hard, it did't make what happened O.K, and it's HARD to be nice and understanding when you're feeling hurt and let down and No-one you talk to seems to care afterwards.

And, as controvercial as his opinions are, it gets people talking, and eventually that will get back to CNA, and hopefully force them to change for the better.

(rather then CNA going "Don't talk bad about us. whaaawhaaawhaaa! that they do)

Sarcasm-hime
07-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Hey, thanks a lot Minakolabelle! I'm actually having second thoughts about wearing Windy for a whole day (that wig is soooooo damn heavy) but if I do, I'll definitely take you up on that very generous offer. ^_^

Kaijugal
07-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Sensei

(A funny story as an aside to this ... at a panel at TT this year, many of the younger costumers (I think all of them are on this board) were shocked to hear that some of the masters only worked on 1 costume a season and competed it at more than one convention. These comments were funny because what immediately followed was a question of: "I'm graduating this year and getting a full-time low-paying job next year. How can I keep up with making 5 costumes for each con I go to? I'll have no time and no money?"

Yes it definately changes the game when like me you work 2 part-times, are paying 700$+ a month on a mortgage and also repaying a student loan to boot, not to mention household bills and stuff. I had much more time and money for the costume thing when I was living at home. (Of course in your case Gord I'm preaching to the chior).

Kisa
07-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Well, I don't live at home, but I can say that you definitivly have to give up things in order to fund costumes. In my case, it's eating healthy, and an active social life. What money that doesn't go to Bills and rent, goes to the Con-Fund, and because I'm sick enough that I can't work and go to school at the same time, that con-fund keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Amusingly, the only way I did manage to keep a social life, is by having my con-friends become my regular friends.
So social events usually end up being renting a movie, and hand-sewing all around. Little things come to restaurants, on the bus, to class, big things or painting gets done in front of the TV or with the stereo on ect.

Sarcasm-hime
07-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately it's hard to watch subtitled anime while sewing. I've tried...*lol*

Kaijugal
07-27-2003, 08:24 PM
:D I second that ! Hahaha.. Most of my con friends, the ones that actually bother to visit, aren't the costumers, they're the tech crew and stuff so there's no sewing circles here darn it! <laughs>

xiola
07-27-2003, 10:09 PM
man, i don't exist. i need to post more. but i can't deal with all the debating on forums, it takes too much time while i'm at work ^^;;

but it's funny looking back on your spending habits and realizing why you never buy new clothes anymore. it's also kind of ironic when you hardly ever buy anime/fandom stuff anymore (unless it's a costume reference cause :P) because you're spending it all on fabric to make costumes *of* said fandom. :P

(but like kisa i get sick from stress far too easily to have a job on top of school. (which is bad, because second year fashion design will no doubt cost twice as much in fabric than first year 9_9)

as for social lives - it's rather sad that i don't even know what to do about my birthday this year because i don't WANT my friends to take me out for the night because i'll just feel bad for wasting time that i should be sewing :P seriously. what i want for my birthday is people to come over and sew! people that won't ask me to just sew things for them. :P

but i have to agree, for everyone pissed off about last year's CNA, volunteering the masq is the best option! :D
a) if you resent that the masq ruined many people's hard work last year, you're doing something about it yourself.
b) if you want to boycott CNA's corporate organizers by not adding your own costumes to what everyone sees at the masq, you can do that but you're not doing *nothing* to help the problem either.
c) and yes, if you want to avoid paying money to the organizing corporation that gives us little to no support, and show that you don't think they deserve your money, you get to enjoy their con and support YOUR friends without giving them money :P

ok... i've just spent far too much time basking in the fact that i finished a stupid pirate hat. must go back and actually do some sewing! :P *worries yet again her CNA costumes will be shoddy t.t* (only 2 this time! at least it's more practical than 3! and one of them was Johnny Depp's fault so i will not take responsibility for the impracticality of it! XD)

Chosuke
07-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Xiola: ARE YOU DOING JACK SPARROW? If you are.. prepare for ultimate fangirl harassment. At least from uhh.. me.

And I know what you mean about buying fandom stuff.
I got eighty dollars last week for 'spending' money from my dad while I'm in Nanaimo. 30$ of it went to buying 'south side' for the reference pictures.. and I felt guilty about using even that!
It was the 'I really should be spending this on fabric' guilt trip..
Which is why I hid the other 50$ untill I get into the nearest fabric land or fannys..

xiola
08-04-2003, 09:38 PM
um.... yes... kinda... :P

but it'll be a bit ghetto coz i don't have time or money, so i'm not really worrying about total accuracy, it's more about that whole sillhouette with the jacket and the hat *_* but i'm sad coz the back of the frock coat is wrong and i'll never be able to fix it now because i dno't have enough fabric left for it -_- but i don't think anyone will care about a seam being wrong except me.

but since the DVD's not out it's not there's only so much i can get from staring at crappy stills and scribbling notes in the dark...
but um... yeah. :P

Kaijugal
08-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by xiola

but since the DVD's not out it's not there's only so much i can get from staring at crappy stills and scribbling notes in the dark...
but um... yeah. :P

Hahaha. I had this problem when I did Queen Amidala from the SW:Episode One movie! They were keeping it real hush hush for a while so the only picture I had to go on (of the costume I was making-the senate costume), was one that they showed in an issue of VANITY FAIR the Feb before the movie was released. My costume didn't have the ponytail down the back because there is no way I could know she had one until after the movie was released.

Lack of source material sucks because you have to guess, BUT that being said most people won't recognize any of the small modifications the creator has to make for the very same reason. :)

~Dawn :)

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-05-2003, 01:24 AM
Well, I don't live at home, but I can say that you definitivly have to give up things in order to fund costumes. In my case, it's eating healthy, and an active social life. What money that doesn't go to Bills and rent, goes to the Con-Fund, and because I'm sick enough that I can't work and go to school at the same time, that con-fund keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Amusingly, the only way I did manage to keep a social life, is by having my con-friends become my regular friends.
So social events usually end up being renting a movie, and hand-sewing all around. Little things come to restaurants, on the bus, to class, big things or painting gets done in front of the TV or with the stereo on ect.

There are good and bad stuff but think on the bright side, the friends you hang out now is truely sharing the same interest as you. I actually have the same problem with you. I don't hang with my old friends much now. My time are so tight and stuff ||| But we still keep in touch and the friends I hang with now share same interest with me and i do feel more comfortable to be around with them then when I was around with my old time friends. (so lucky they can't see this forum |||)

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-05-2003, 01:31 AM
xiola: it is sooo true~ My spending habbits hand changed after I am into cosplay~ Really, no more $$ spending on junk food/snacks either~ ~>_<~

East&WestGaijin
08-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Kenney: Hey, were you the one last year who went as Rinoa Heartlilly? Because I saw a funny pic of A Rinoa pouring a bag of Doritos into her mouth.. Hahaha.

And did somebody say they're going as Cloud Strife? Because I am Reno and I also have the 3 other Turks.... I'm thinking Sector 7 Pillar or Sector 8 Train Track reanactment/photoshoot, maybe?