PDA

View Full Version : So...how tiny is too tiny?

Kurenai
09-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Yeah...I seem to have this habit of spawning topics off of others.

About those catgirls/moogles/lums/excuse-to-show-off-underwear... where do you guys draw the line? What's good, what's bad?

Personally, I'll cosplay tiny things as long as I don't look too horrendous, and as long as I love the characters. I'm not totally into the "Hey, look at me I'm wearing next-to-nothing!" look. I like to have fun and be in character and forget about worrying about looking bad...I'm kind of used to the fact that I'm nowhere near a model anyway ^_~;;

Oshi
09-19-2002, 10:05 PM
I draw no line.

...*runs away*

aeva
09-19-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Oshi
I draw no line.

Ditto. if you ahve the confidence, go for it! ....and I am more then willing to stare at the barely-clothed catgirls/Lums/Caldinas/Naghas/Parfaits/Cacaos/ect. ^.~

Sami
09-19-2002, 10:18 PM
I don't like it when people use it just as an excuse to show themselves off and have people drool over them. >_> Have some shame, people! *wags finger*

However, I think it's perfectly fine, if one has the body for it. No offense, but I'm not into seeing a 400 lb Lum or Naga anytime soon. x_x I'd like to keep my eyesight, thanks.

But I haven't really seen a lot of it, so it's ok. ^_^ I think that if it's OK for your body type, than go for it! Personally, I'd be afraid something was falling off or my butt was showing.. and would be real self conscious. ^^;

Space Invader
09-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Arr... I'm not excited at all about seeing girls running around in next-to-nothing costumes. However, it doesn't bother me. I have nothing against it, and I actually want to do a rather... eh... suggestive... outfit... *hides under desk*. Silky from Tenshi Ni Narumon, but she's in a different outfit... see attachment for pic. I do have shame, yes, but everything is covered pretty nicely, so I wouldn't feel very strange in it. Now if it were a bikini that my arse was about to fall out of, that would be quite different... *sweatdrop*. But, to tell you the truth, I think I have the body for it (I'm 5'4" and weight 100 lbs.), so I don't think I would blind anyone. And that reminds me, I'll be sure and carry a large steel bat for protection against those scary fanboys O.o.

P.S. - And I don't want to do it for the attention, I want to do it because I think the outfit looks really cool ^^.

Celine
09-19-2002, 10:44 PM
The girls who dress in these costumes tend to do so because they like the character, not that they necessarily want to have people drool on them. Faye is really popular with girls as well as guys. I've known Lums who do the costume because Lum is an awesome character from an awesome series. The Sailor Starlights I've seen have all been huge SM fans. Sex appeal can make a costume more tempting, but most times the cosplayer is doing something they already like.

In general, anime cons have rules that won't allow you to wear thongs or anything inappropriate. This means that what they are wearing at the con is acceptable in public, so there are really no grounds for criticising them.

Yuna
09-20-2002, 12:06 AM
well, whatever floats your boat you know? But if that's what you have the habbit of cosplaying, don't expect people to recpect you or take you seriously.

Jinx
09-20-2002, 12:15 AM
I think it's okay.. well, actually, I think costumes like Lum etc that are already a little skimpy are ok I guess, but I think it's a bit much if people _make_ their own skimpy costumes. ^-^;;

Oh well. I think it's cool when someone comes up with something definitely creative.

KuroBara
09-20-2002, 01:01 AM
Space Invader ~ that's an awesome outfit, and it's not too revealing.

I'm ok with skimpy if it's an established character, not just, hey! look at my butt! And, if it looks flattering on you. But, to each their own.

Personally, I wore mini-skirts all 3 days of Otakon 2002. Next year, I'll show some tummy, and more leg. I'm getting more comfortable with revealing clothes, and the costumes are for characters that I adore. Plus, I don't think I'll blind anyone.

Ranma Saotome
09-20-2002, 01:52 AM
You draw the line when you see a pot belly. :D

katrinastrife
09-20-2002, 05:44 AM
However, it doesn't bother me. I have nothing against it, and I actually want to do a rather... eh... suggestive... outfit... *hides under desk*.

That isn't too bad.... ^^* You people are self concious, nyu!

^^* I dunno. I think that it's scary when people that really shouldn't be wearing skimpy stuff do. But, no one's perfect... and I respect people (even if they're not perfect figured) for being brave (or crazy) enough to wear stuff like that ^^*. I did, once, but I dunno if I'll do it again ^^*

Michi
09-20-2002, 09:08 AM
I don't purposefully hunt out skimpy outfits. o.o I did Kuja, which is bearing midriff and wearing a thong.. and I did many versions of Mai, which is.. not covering much. But I didn't do it because I like to show off my body, oh no. If anyone saw how I normally dress, they'd see long t-shirts and pants in the summer (and when I do manage to bother to wear shorts, I get overly self conscious.. I only have one pair :P). ^_^; I just happen to LOVE Kuja and adore Mai, so I cosplayed them. I do a good number of covered characters too.. It just happens to be whatever that character I like is wearing.. or if the outfit is really cute. ^_^;

Rosiel
09-20-2002, 09:11 AM
> The Sailor Starlights I've seen have all been huge SM fans.

*giggle* To dress that way you have to be a big SM fan, uh? ;)
(And SM does not stand for "Sailor Moon" in that sentence)

All jokes aside, my (probably unpopular) opinion.

I don't like to wear skimpy outfits. And it has nothing to do with being self-conscious as I am aware of what I look like and am very happy with it. It's just that I'd rather work on an intricate tailored outfit than a bikini. It's more of a challenge.
And that I find fully dressed people /infinitely/ sexier than half-naked ones. (my Victorian tendancies I guess) It leaves something to the imagination and I find it more alluring. I prefer a cosplayer in a Gundam Wing Oz uniform over one in a Vagrant story outfit any day.

Now about other people wearing skimpy things...

1) SPANDEX RULE holds for skimpy.

2) Rei in her bathing suit IS NOT A COSTUME.

3) Attitude.

A) I've seen lots of very Lum costumes on this site, and while it's not a costume that impresses me, since it's as easy as it comes as far as craftmanship, they are cute.

B) I've seen lots of genki Sailor Starlight, smiling and being all around nice and Sailor Moonish. I love Starlights cosplayers.

C) I've seen Tira Misu (manga) and Karen Kasumi cosplayers who while they had the body to wear their SM/bondage outfits looked and acted /vulgar/. There are children at cons. This is where I draw the line.

Basically, as long as it's done in good taste and you don't show anything the world at large does not want to see (read: wear thongs and micro-bras) it's OK with me. When you look like you were picked up on a street corner (you know what I mean), go to a SM (as in Sado-maso not Sailor Moon) club to strut your stuff, not a con.

Bottom line: THERE ARE CHILDREN AT CONS. COSTUMES SHOULD BE PG.

Choice
09-20-2002, 10:07 AM
i really dont know what normal is anymore; you have to admit the idea of cosplay is pretty freeform. its pretty interesting be able to look back 4 years ago and notice how intricate and more bizarre its become.

...although i will say alot can be said with a look in the eye, a smile, a walk. you know? like marlene dietreche's face. people who impose whatever what want to see onto you.

i swear sometimes ive seen a look of fear when i just see a guy walking around in gundam suit and all i can see are his eyes....

me and a friend watched nightbreed, this clive barker movie yesterday and now i either want to do dr. decker, the "bad guy", or the drunk priest. oddly enough i already have a preist outfit.

Tenshi
09-20-2002, 11:06 AM
To add to Rosiel, Rei in her bath towel also is not a costume >.<. I understand cosplay is a very egotistical art, but when a costume is made just for shock/T&A factor, it just gets annoying.

Makoto
09-20-2002, 12:45 PM
I have wise words from a good friend of mine. ^_^

Most conventions welcome families, so there WILL be children wandering around. Kids are short. If you're wearing a costume with your rear end hanging out, then that will be *face-high* for a lot of the little ones.

Please, think of the children. ^_^

HuongStar
09-20-2002, 12:50 PM
As of late I've found that by coincidence, all my soon-to-be cosplayed characters show an inordinate amount of cleavage. Despite the technical challenges that these designs involve, girls will be quick to call me names and guys will be quick to harrass.

*shrugs* I like my frivolous costumes and I like my challenging ones. I cosplay for fun and while I enjoy a good challenge, I don't pick costumes solely for that reason. I do it because some aspect of the character/series/persona appeals to me. For the exception of one of my costumes (that was completely store bought), each design presented a new challenge to me. Despite all the work that went into my Bebop costume, people still call me skanky and an attention-whore for wearing Faye. *eye roll* What can you do?

sailor-moon
09-20-2002, 01:22 PM
i think the more you have on makes the costume more impressive....i should talk, i run around in sailor senshi out fits at con/'s.. :thumbsup: but seriously, if one wants to expose almost everything go for it, just dont complain when the fan boys dont stop fallowing you around :crylaugh:

Usagi

Space Invader
09-20-2002, 03:23 PM
>if one wants to expose almost everything go for it, just dont complain when the fan boys dont stop following you around

That's why I would carry a large steel bat :)

Mei Lan Chang
09-20-2002, 03:56 PM
I am personally not ashamed of my body, and however I choose to decorate it is a demonstation of self expression. I don't think anyone should be ashamed to wear whatever they want, I mean hey? Isn't that what we are trying to strive for? Equal treatment and acceptance of everyone? If a girl, OR A GUY, wants to show off a little flesh more power to them.

I think it's really mean to rain criticism on someone for their costume of choice.

Oshi
09-21-2002, 11:47 PM
Yeah, like, I want to do Kurim from .hack//SIGN. He shows alot of chest. He wears an open vest. Soo... unless i can lose this computer gut by the time I make it.. ah, hell, it never stopped me from going swimming.
My point is, I'm willing to show off skin because I want to cosplay that character, and a little fat isn't gonna stop me ^_^

Tea-chan
09-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Heh. Eheheh.

If you can pass off the costume, it's fine. If the costume is absurdly scant, then, don't do it. Honestly, don't you get cold?

I've lost a lot of weight, and am therefore creating a Subaru costume(.hack//SIGN), but I know for sure I'll feel quite exposed in it. Oh well. Her character design is too cool to pass up.

aeva
09-22-2002, 08:37 PM
Tea-chan, you'll make a very much AWESOME Subaru! ^_______^

Tea-chan
09-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by aeva
Tea-chan, you'll make a very much AWESOME Subaru! ^_______^

Or quite the blinding one. Either way. :D

Oshi
09-22-2002, 09:12 PM
SUBARU-SAMA!!!!
Awsome, awsome! Do you plan on going to Katsucon, cuz I should have Kurim done by then ^_^;

aeva
09-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Tea-chan

Or quite the blinding one. Either way. :D

=.= Stop putting yourself down, or I'll put away the whip. XD But duuude, tath'll be an awesome costume. *-* I SO want to do the other chick.... whatever her name is... ::needs to watch .hack//sign::

Oshi
09-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Mimiru!! wai!!! Or BT? The scantily clad swordswoman or the elegantly dressed mage?*loves .hack*
We should so try to get together a lil .hack//SIGN group for Katsu or so o_o;;

The thing is, will anybody be willing to paint themselves Bear-style? >.>

aeva
09-22-2002, 09:27 PM
http://blackwings.net/hack/images/bw02.jpg

The chick in the upper-righthand corner. I SO want to be her...... That is, once I get around to watching the stash of .hack//sign on my hard drive ^^:;;;

aeva
09-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Yeah, the costume is tiny, but I don't have much shame. o.O And if I blind anyone, then... oh well.

Oshi
09-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Yeahh, that's Mimiru ^_^
So, you two wanna try and get a group together for Katuscon, or some other con?

..that pic rules... I wish there was a page with Kurim on it... >.O

Shadow Lady
09-22-2002, 09:38 PM
As long as the costume isn't really skimpy and you have the body for it (there are children present. Please don't scar them for life.) I really don't care. I'm seen a pretty big Kuja on the net and was a little disgusted. *shudder* :eek:

Personally I don't wear such clothes. I'm not that thin so I pick certain types of characters to cosplay as. Last Year I went as Dorothy from The Big O and everyone said I looked good in it. (Black is slimming. :D)

aeva
09-22-2002, 09:38 PM
Yeahh, that's Mimiru ^_^
So, you two wanna try and get a group together for Katuscon, or some other con?

..that pic rules... I wish there was a page with Kurim on it... >.O

That's be spiffy!! ...unforeuntalty, I can't go con-ing until next summer. x.X I'm broke, and there are not CLOSE cons until like.... June. ::dies:: But we should meet up and do that! =D

Tea-chan
09-23-2002, 03:57 PM
SUBARU-SAMA!!!!
Awsome, awsome! Do you plan on going to Katsucon, cuz I should have Kurim done by then ^_^;

^^;; I'm not going to Katsucon, unless if I got REALLY LUCKY. Gomen nasai. ^^; Come to Shoujocon 2003. :P I'll wear my costume there, too. XD

engrish
09-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
And that I find fully dressed people /infinitely/ sexier than half-naked ones. (my Victorian tendancies I guess) It leaves something to the imagination and I find it more alluring.

This is something I'm not proud of but I find Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz to be very sexy. Ohh and the entire cast of Bay Watch are freaks.

I think someone also mentioned that a short skirt would be considered "face high" for a child? I suppose that's one situation where being a short man could have it's advantages. :crylaugh: :crylaugh:

KuroBara
09-23-2002, 09:25 PM
>_< I walked around in a sports bra and long skirt today for a little while, attempting to get used to it for cosplaying. My boyfriend's eyes damn near popped out of his head, and he asked if this would be a permanent style, so I guess I'm ok. Just have to get used to this for walking around a con.

Space Invader
09-23-2002, 10:42 PM
>I walked around in a sports bra and long skirt today for a little while, attempting to get used to it for cosplaying. My boyfriend's eyes damn near popped out of his head, and he asked if this would be a permanent style, so I guess I'm ok.

Haha, my ex-BF (who I'm still friends / little more than friends with ;)) acted the same way when he first saw me in my swimsuit... *cough*