PDA

View Full Version : eat-man trenchcoat material

wanuwashuu
09-19-2002, 11:17 PM
hey all,

i'm going to be attempting a Bolt Crank (Eat-Man) costume, and the only really difficult part looks to be the trenchcoat he wears, the sort of greenish one. yes, yes.

i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the material for the main part of the coat..... any help would be appreciated greatly...

i'm a sort-of experienced sewer, but i have a lot of time (until next august) to make mistakes.

thanks!

Alexeil
09-20-2002, 10:35 AM
Wai, Bolt!! I don't hany any advice, sorry ^^;; Just wanted to say I love Eat-man and I hope it turns out well for ya, I'd love to see it! I've always been saddened that Viz cancelled their translation and release of it here. Well good luck!

wanuwashuu
09-21-2002, 06:38 PM
well, i have about 10 months until the comic-con, so with luck i'll have a breakthrough ^_^

the only thing that looks to be harder than the actual tranchcoat will be somehow faking the ability to regurgitate weaponry through my arm. hmmm..... perhaps something involving pressurized co2 and inflatables?...

nahhhhh...............

thanks, tho!

wanuwashuu
09-27-2002, 08:42 PM
do you think i would be better off using pvc, or a more woven type of material? i don't know if i can get that shade of green in pvc, but do you think that it would be a more accurate match to the material he uses? *ugh*.

Ayaka
09-27-2002, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't mess around with PVC, it's a pain to work with. I mean, it's not a huge issue, but . . . besides, I never thought of his coat as being a vinyl/leather type material. Wool would look good, but you do NOT want to be walking around in wool! I'd look around for a polyester blends, maybe a microfiber, although that probably wouldn't have enough weight to it . . . but I'd suggest using a fairly heavy fabric, to get it to drape well. Well, that's my two cents, anyway. ^^;

wanuwashuu
09-27-2002, 09:44 PM
thanks, that was exactly the type of answer i wanted to hear!

now, the only *real* main question remaining is the pattern.... i could try messing with my own, or i could modify an existing pattern immensely. i know i've said this a lot, but does anyone have any suggestion for the _type_ of pattern to use?

wu-ha!

Ayaka
09-27-2002, 10:46 PM
lol I'm an Eat-Man fan so . . . gah, wait, that's why there haven't been any new graphic novels in so long? ;_;

And if you mean pattern brand . . . I think everyone has different opinions on that! And I haven't really got any at all. It's varied from pattern to pattern for me, even within the same company. But for crying out loud start with a pattern of some kind. oO I would not want to do that coat from scratch.

BTW, as I look at it, it looks like his coat is supposed to be down. (Down? In the desert?! Oo) You could go a size bigger and put some batting in between the outside of the coat and the lining (linings are a pain, but it will look better) . . . but it would make you burst into flames lol. So never mind, lol.

wanuwashuu
10-02-2002, 12:00 AM
thanks ^_^ i'll try to find some type of coat pattern and modify it a lot.

Oh, if only there were more than _4_ eat man fans in america, then my plight would be slightly more common. But i am super-happy to find a place like this, and people like you ^_^