PDA

View Full Version : How to make this?

jennarose
08-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I am having trouble trying to make this what Aigis wears on her head from the game Persona 3. I have an idea on how to make the headband part (by taking craft foam and paint, but then cutting more strips on craft foam to make it pop), but I am stuck on the ear parts...how would I make those with craft foam? Or what is something else I could use to make them? How can I get them to bend in like that? Actually, what would be a better what to make the headband part?

Any ideas? :confused:

pictures:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/roxarosx/nnnnn-2.jpg

Vince Noir
08-14-2008, 09:23 PM
I am having trouble trying to make this what Aigis wears on her head from the game Persona 3. I have an idea on how to make the headband part (by taking craft foam and paint, but then cutting more strips on craft foam to make it pop), but I am stuck on the ear parts...how would I make those with craft foam? Or what is something else I could use to make them? How can I get them to bend in like that? Actually, what would be a better what to make the headband part?

Any ideas? :confused:

pictures:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/roxarosx/nnnnn-2.jpg

You could use floral foam, you know the green blocks that you stick flowers into. Carve the pieces out of that then cover it with a few layers of elmers glue diluted with water. After that you can paint it or whatever you wish to do for decoration.

LadiesMan217
08-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I made one (never wore it though) completely out of craft foam. Circular props are almost always a problem for me...

But here are two pictures of what I did. More are attached below
For the actual band I used two layers of foam, one solid piece, one piece with the triangle pattern cut out.

the sides were made of 4 pieces once finished. It depends on how much detail you want to include.28705

Anyway, the second picture might help you a little because it shows the basic shapes I used. I couldn't tell you how many times I cut those little circles out, tore them up, and cut them out again.

hope that helped a little

Edit:

I don't recommend using floral foam for anything that is meant to be hard. It is way too soft and sucks up moisture like nobody's business. There is a similar, more firm product mostly called "sahara" (as opposed to "oasis" wet foam) that is used for silk floral arrangements. even that would be too soft to use. If you want to go that route, just use styrofoam. or pink insulation foam.
Sorry, I'm a florist, so I've spent a lot of time sticking my fingers in floral foam. haha. I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble.

Vince Noir does bring up the good point that carving/sculpting is always an option.

jennarose
08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Those are really good, btw. I can't really tell, but is your headband piece 'hard' so that it sticks on your head, or does it have a littler string that ties around your neck or so (that was how I was originally going to make it stay down).

I have some insulation foam with me, so maybe I could see what I could make by carving...and then use paper mache.

Thanks for the tips! :D

Oh never mind, the string type thing in the first attached picture...oops...guess I didn't see that the first time. XD.

LadiesMan217
08-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Those are really good, btw. I can't really tell, but is your headband piece 'hard' so that it sticks on your head, or does it have a littler string that ties around your neck or so (that was how I was originally going to make it stay down).

I have some insulation foam with me, so maybe I could see what I could make by carving...and then use paper mache.

Thanks for the tips! :D

Oh never mind, the string type thing in the first attached picture...oops...guess I didn't see that the first time. XD.

Actually, its both. I started out with a hard band to which I glued my foam cut-outs, then I used the string around the back to keep it tight. It stuck out a little bit on the sides without it.

jennarose
08-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Actually, its both. I started out with a hard band to which I glued my foam cut-outs, then I used the string around the back to keep it tight. It stuck out a little bit on the sides without it.

Oh...I see. That may be a good idea since it would fit better on the head that way...hmm...I'm pretty sure I have a headband lying around somewhere...

edit: I had some insulation foam lying around so I decided to give it a go at trying to crave it...this is what I got...

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/roxarosx/bbbbbbbb.jpg

It may be a little too bit width wise, but I still can sand it down quite a lot...soo...and if I were to go with the insulation foam, should I crave in a dome and then put craft foam for the red part and put the silver fans on with craft foam?

Oh and the sparkle headband may be the one I turn into hers...like you did it...that would be the most easiest...hehe..