PDA

View Full Version : tangles tangles tangles!!

Tokyopixie
07-08-2003, 10:39 PM
relatively new to wigs and need some HELP!

how on earth do you get tangles out of a wig?!?!?!?!

please please help me. :D

Koumori
07-09-2003, 05:51 AM
Brush/comb it. No, seriously. :) There are wig conditioning sprays you can buy at wig supply stores to make this job easier. If it's a really cheap wig, though, and/or the tangles are really bad, you may end up with a frizzy mess no matter what, in which case you might need to wash/re-condition/re-style, if the wig is good enough to stand up to it.

SailorMo
07-09-2003, 06:23 AM
I use pomade and a metal pik comb to de-tangle..

No matter what you use tho, *gentle* is key!

:)

number18
07-10-2003, 11:59 AM
and you should try to start combing/brushing from the bottom up to the top...

Sarcasm-hime
07-10-2003, 12:35 PM
So I got a conditioning spray at a place that sells wig and theatrical supplies as well as regular hair products. I asked what would be good for detangling synthetic wigs and they sold me this stuff (Hair Alive Techniques Infuser) that, from the label and instructions, seems more designed for real hair. I tried using it on my Windy wig, and haven't gotten much success. I'll completely saturate the strand with the spray, which allows me to comb thru it, but then it's all stiff from the spray. Or I'll just turn my head for 5 seconds and it's tangly again. Are some sprays better than others? Was I ripped off?

Koumori
07-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Sarcasm-hime
So I got a conditioning spray at a place that sells wig and theatrical supplies as well as regular hair products. I asked what would be good for detangling synthetic wigs and they sold me this stuff (Hair Alive Techniques Infuser) that, from the label and instructions, seems more designed for real hair. I tried using it on my Windy wig, and haven't gotten much success. I'll completely saturate the strand with the spray, which allows me to comb thru it, but then it's all stiff from the spray. Or I'll just turn my head for 5 seconds and it's tangly again. Are some sprays better than others? Was I ripped off?

I can't say for sure, but my guess is that products designed for use on real hair probably won't be very helpful with wig hair, since the latter is plastic and the former is organic. There's a type of silicone spray you can get at wig supply stores which is great for making wig hair slippery enough to comb tangles out (but probably wouldn't work on real hair).

SynVanSiWes
07-10-2003, 02:39 PM
I had a wig that wouldn't stop tangling. The ends of the hairs were all crinkly, and not on purpose, it was damage. In the end I could't find anything to do to it, so I got a new one. I couldnt find a way to save the wig, maybe if I had tried to straighten them with heat. But that could have ruined it in a melted plastic sort of way. I should have tried I guess. It's junk anyway at this point.

However I have heard that you need a wig conditioner designed for wigs. Hair care products for real hair interact with the hair oil, I believe. And I would guess that chemicals stick to normal hair much differently than plastic. Porosity or chemical reactions perhaps.

Alaria
07-11-2003, 06:32 PM
I've used my own shampoo and conditioner and dentangler and they did help, but the best thing to get is wig sheen, which I'm guessing might be the wig conditioner everyone else is referring to. The stuff I get is in a pink and white bottle, and its a combo conditioner/detangler

megumibish
07-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Hey I use Gabor's wig detangling spray that I found at a wig shop. It's a bit pricey but worth it. 6.99 for a 12 oz bottle and it works wonders. I also tend to use those big toothed wethair detangling combs to comb my wigs or this cheapo metal toothed padded brush I got at a dollar store. The metal teeth run very easily throught the plastic hair.

Yumeko
07-15-2003, 03:10 AM
If i don't pre treat my wigs, they end up getting into a tangled mess that keeps tangling up no matter what, so i either cut the tangles away and re style the wig or b...toss it

VesVesRed
07-18-2003, 09:22 PM
I went to Wal-Mart and got a bottle of 'Johnson's No More Tangles Detangling' stuff. It works VERY well and it's easy to go get. Left my wig feeling softer than it was when it arrived and shinier, too.

lialia
07-20-2003, 09:24 PM
hmm silicone you say koumori.. hmmm *raises eyebrow* i wonder if frizz ease would work....*runs off to find out*

Sarcasm-hime
08-12-2003, 05:37 PM
argh....went to a local makeup supply/wig place and asked for detangler for synthetic wigs, and the woman told me that there isn't really anything, there are apparently sprays that make wigs shiny, but she said that heat and brushing are the only ways to detangle wigs. Was she just an idiot? I'm very frustrated.

Lilli
08-15-2003, 12:18 PM
._.;; If you don't know what you're doing, I really don't recommend using heat on your wig. And certainly don't brush it while the fibers are hot.

Yes, Koumori mentioned something about Silicon, the very best wig detangler I ever found/used was a Silicon based spray. For like, minor tangling, I sprayed it on the wig, shook it, and they mostly fell out. It was a great help for the nastier ones too, but for those, like everyone else has been saying, big-toothed combs, work from the bottom up, and patience, patience, patience.

T_T I wish I could remember where I got that Silicon wig spray from. It was beautiful, magical stuff.

As far as heat goes... I know that steaming a wig can help improve it's condition vastly... But that's usually when you're trying to straighten it... I think... Or re-style it. I've never tried steaming a wig to get tangles out of it. Mrrh. Best of luck? ^^;; I find that getting tangles out is such a problem, that I usually do all I can to avoid them getting tangled in the first place... i.e. proper storage techniques.

Kabuki
08-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Syn-Wig

this stuff is GODLY!!! (bit pricey at ten bucks for 8oz) but a little goes a LONG way...

its speficically for detangling and anti-static i've only seen one shop that has this...but it is DEFFINATLY worth seeking out.

it comes in a clear spray bottle and the liquid itself is pink

I really don't like the pink and white bottled: "Wig sheen and conditioner spray"...it doesn't really seem to DO anything...

but yes..SYNWIG!!!!!!!!!!! >=D

Sarcasm-hime
08-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Argghhhh. I just don't know who to believe anymore. One wig shop tells me that there's no such thing as a wig detangling spray and that heat is the only way, another shop tells me that silicone will destroy a synthetic wig...but then lots of people here swear by it. WTF?!?

liz-maru
08-22-2003, 02:51 PM
>< im gonna try using no more tears on my 45 inch wig cause its just not coming untangled >< ill let cha know how that goes! lol

GurgiMK
10-01-2003, 09:40 PM
here's some wig untanglers:

http://www.aaa-wigs.com/accessories/wig-conditioners/wig-conditioners.html

Yumeko
10-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Okay this is going to sound extremely weird, but the lady that used to do my braids told me this is what she would do when ever the bulk hair a customer was a tangled mess...

first, boil a pot of hot water and half a cup of Olive oil for about ten minuets then take it out and pin it to a foam head
Second: using a blow dryer on LOW heat and a vented brush GENTLY brush through the wig drying it.
Finally give the wig a once over with a light oil sheen like you would use on your hair.

I found out the olive oil gives the hair a nice silky texture, the key is to pull gently when brushing out the loosened tangles otherwise the syenthic fibers fray and can cause brand new tangles..

Wig conditioners have alcohol in them and can dry out the wig also causing damage...so in theory those wig conditioners in theory cause more damage than good.

Lilli
10-07-2003, 10:06 AM
x.x; No offense, but that sounds like a really bad idea to me. I should think that it would ruin the wig beyond repair. (If she's working with making braids, was it possibly human hair? Or a different sort of "ethnic" textured hair used for braids?)

Maybe I've had the wrong sorts of ideas all along, but I've always heard to never brush a wig while it's wet, and never brush a wig while applying heat. And the olive oil thing sort of worries me, too ^^; Once again, it sounds like it might improve the condition of human hair, but how would such oils interact with say, Kankelon fibres?

Sarcasm-hime
10-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Well I remember Tristen Citrine telling me how to get the wave out of those big hanks of kinky Kanekalon hair...she recommended warm water and fabric softener. I wouldn't put a wig in boiling water, though....I'd think that would be wayyyyy too hot for plastic.

Jade-Angel
10-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Oooh...I was about to post this same question. My most recent wig purchase is considerably longer than all others (mid-back...I used to just have short ones)..and it will tangle at the drop of a hat. Of course, keeping it in a dorm isn't exactly the best thing either...but oh well. I personally have found that a plastic brush with wide bristles works pretty well....but of course, I'd like something better. -_-

Yumeko
10-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Yes I know the method is unorthodx but I've done it and it works. But this is something you can't just leave. You have to watch it or else it will melt if it is a synthetic wig fiber.

But to each their own.

HotaruGFC
12-11-2003, 05:26 PM
So, does anyone have the problem with wigs of them getting tangled at the base of the neck while wearing? my real hair does that and so do my wigs, long or shorter, and I don't know why. I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to how to keep it from getting so bad.

Infini
12-14-2003, 08:21 PM
I have a big problem with my Inuyasha wig getting tangled when I wear it. I'd like to know if there's a product you can put on it to stop it from getting really tangly when it's being worn. I wore the wig for maybe 3 hours, and it took me that long again afterwards to fix the tangles. No matter how gentle I am, several hairs still get broken while I'm detangling it, and I'd like to fix this before I break any more hairs.

I don't have a problem with tangling at the base of the neck, though.

-Infini

Chosuke
12-15-2003, 06:35 AM
My ashura wig tangles like hell too.
As soon as I untangle one part,I make six NEW knots!
It is a very long<butt length> good quality black wig.. so its not like its tangling because its cheap..but its driving me insane!

Menchi
12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
long wigs in general tangle, even if the wig is good, great, poor whatever quality i have noticed. but if ya are pantient an an go through it bit by bit seperating it into small sections from bottom up ya can get about any witg detangled...jus takes time. oh not even on GREATwigs..the fibers break esp on long ones when detangling.

HotaruGFC
12-16-2003, 10:14 AM
OK, I have a butt length good quality black wig for my sailor mars costume and it took me about an hour and a half to comb that sucker out... but I decided to try something on it to see if it would help out any, and it did! YEAH!!! at least it minimized the tangling and breakage. What I used was Vitalizing Hair Wax by Ion. It seems to have worked pretty well in keeping the wig from getting too tangled while wearing as well.

KaraokeKate
12-17-2003, 12:53 AM
Olive Oil? Wouldn't that make your wig smell like pasta? Why not canola oil, or mineral oil? o_0'

Anyhow, although the oil will not improve the texture of the wig, it can help lubricate the fibers so they untangle more easily.... HOWEVER, it is *not* necessary to boil the wig in the mix. Simply get a spray bottle, fill it with hot water and about a teaspoon of mineral oil, then spritz it on the wig. Wait until the water has evaporated, then use your fingers or the handle of a butterknife to "tap" out the major tangles. Once you get the big ones out, gently comb the rest using a wide toothed comb.

-Katie

Muralasa
12-17-2003, 01:37 AM
[...]

Masako
12-17-2003, 03:33 AM
Olive Oil? Wouldn't that make your wig smell like pasta? Why not canola oil, or mineral oil? o_0'

Anyhow, although the oil will not improve the texture of the wig, it can help lubricate the fibers so they untangle more easily.... HOWEVER, it is *not* necessary to boil the wig in the mix. Simply get a spray bottle, fill it with hot water and about a teaspoon of mineral oil, then spritz it on the wig. Wait until the water has evaporated, then use your fingers or the handle of a butterknife to "tap" out the major tangles. Once you get the big ones out, gently comb the rest using a wide toothed comb.

-Katie

Will the wig end up oily? O_o

Chosuke
12-17-2003, 06:26 AM
I don't think there would be enough oil in the formula to make it oily/greasy

But using ACTUAL straight olive oil sounds kinda gross o_o;;

mukino_kuneka
02-06-2004, 10:33 AM
My brother had this Dracula wig, but it got all tangled and he brushed it. . .Needless to say, it's no longer slicked down. . .

coyoterose
02-06-2004, 12:52 PM
I use an electric/food grade spray silicone lubricant I purchased at the hardware store. :) I forget how much it was, but I don't think it was more than about $5 for a fairly large container. It works very well.

lainey
02-06-2004, 03:46 PM
is brandywine's detangler/leave in conditioner any good?

Hikaru Tsuki
02-07-2004, 12:51 PM
My Inuyasha wig used to be one huge heap of tangles. Then, I went out, spent $10 and bought myself a wig brush. Went through it and now the wig is beautiful. Wig brushes are your best friends.

Masako
02-20-2004, 07:34 PM
What is a wig brush and where do we get it? O_o

GingerWolf
03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
any hair supply store should carry a wig brush..even some salons do..try sally's

archangeli
04-26-2004, 10:58 PM
I am now officially addicted to Katie Bair's wig conditioner.

It's inexpensive and smells wonderful. (and it makes your hands so smooth! :) )
It helped us detangle one of our VERY messy wigs. It's not a miracle product - but it helps make the strands of hair "slip" away from each other and prevent tangles.

I put some into a spray bottle to make it easier to work with.

sasha
05-02-2004, 12:27 PM
As VesVesRed suggested, I went out and bought the No More Tears detangler and worked wonders! I've had this horrible wig for 2 years now and I could never keep it tangle free for very long but this one finally did the trick! Definate miracle worker! :love:

deschaos
05-05-2004, 11:32 PM
I take a wide toothed comb and the Suave spray in detangler and liberally spray it in, making sure that it's saturated, and fingercomb it from the bottom first, making sure that I'm not pulling on the strands so hard that they break. Then I take a wide toothed comb to it.

kelldar
05-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Aiyee, wig troubles. ^^; Everyone's got 'em!

I, too, have a question! I purchased a long wig from Witch Wigs (one of the Cher ones) and when I was combing it, it seems to separate the hair and then it just gets more tangled. Like, when you separate the fibers, they just end up frizzy and don't come back together again and it really doesn't help in the detangling. Is that just an issue of needing conditioner?

Thanks in advance for any input!

~k.

That's the problem I'm having with one of mine- I've done so much work on it, it's now just a ball of frizz. I'm not having trouble with tangles so much, just the frizz. I'm also wondering if there's some kind of conditioner that would calm this down a bit...

GingerWolf
06-20-2004, 11:47 PM
okay here i go again with my two cents...

this is what worked for me ..well is working for me...

I have a white Amphigory enchantment wig (it comes down to my booty) and it is nothing but tangels. I went and bought a wig brush...i hated it; it did nothing but pull fibers out in larg clumps no matter how gentle i was...finally i had my mom go and buy my wide tooth comes and the johnson and johnson spray...only she didn't come home with that...she came home with a package of revlon comes (set of three) one wide tooth, wide tooth with a pick, and then fine tooth wih a pick. and equate no tears detangler. my hands smell great along with my wig and it works wonders!!...i start from the end and work my way up with the wide tooth with the pick on the end then i go over that with the fine tooth come and my wig has never been silkier or shinnier..i'm soooo happy with my wig right now...i even went through my show choir hair piece and it is soooo much better looking now then went i tried with my wig brush...infact i hate my wig brush....lol i've said that lol anyways i'm going to jet off here but this thread has been nothing but help to me !!

thanx you guys

seira-chan
07-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Wow! I found this thread and it has been such a help to me! i was going to ask a lot of these questions myself! I in fact HAVE the johnson's spray, and was curious if it would work on wigs - guess it does! Also, my mom collects dolls, and she has used fabric softener on their hair if it is frizzy, and it comes out softer and a less frizzy and brittle. i think she uses it like conditioner (work it in, then rinse out excess), but I'm not sure. I'll post back later. I have these two wigs, one that is only mildly tangly, and another which is a huge mess, and I'm going to test out you guys' methods on them! Thank you! T_T
Never ever ever buy cheap wigs from Party City unless you want to work harder. *_*

Lady Kikyo
07-15-2004, 10:50 AM
:thumbsup: Listen if u have the tangles, then use alot of oil! usually that takes off the tangles.

SynVanSiWes
07-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Wow this thread is still going... Hmm, I recently worked tangles out of a long wavy wig of mine. (a different one from the first one I mentioned) I just did combing and trimming.

I had a bunch of pom-poms around the neckline of the costume that tangled the wig hair. However I found that the wig hairs got damaged. They were all crinkly when you looked at them close. A sort of wig equilvalent to split ends.

So I trimed them out as best I could, in the same way that I would deal with split ends in my own hair. Brushed it and gently twisted the hair back into wavy curls by hand. It looks really great now, and the fact that I cut off a huge pile of hair isn't noticeable at all. But the wig was super thick to begin with.

I have to say this though... it was tedious. It probably took me at least 6 hours. So I did it while watching movies, and roleplaying. But I've still got more time than money :)

GingerWolf
07-15-2004, 09:33 PM
i love this thread i think its one of the best...this one and the blackhead removal one and and..lol

Nyo_kun
07-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Argghhhh. I just don't know who to believe anymore. One wig shop tells me that there's no such thing as a wig detangling spray and that heat is the only way, another shop tells me that silicone will destroy a synthetic wig...but then lots of people here swear by it. WTF?!?

I suggest going to a hair store that caters to black people. If anyone knows about detangling and defrizzing, they would know.

seira-chan
07-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Ok, I suggested using fabric softener, and it turns out that you have to dip/dunk the hair in a diluted solution - one capful per gallon of water. I'm not sure if I'll do that, or just whack the ends off - I have the same "split ends" problem. It's pink, and my mom remarked that it looks like cotton candy right now. -_-' so true.

Detangler does not work when the ends are fried.

Kagz
07-20-2004, 01:10 AM
WOW this thread is so great!!! I tried the Johnson and Johnson Detangler and its so wonderful! With a quick wash, trim, and style my 10gil wig...oops... 10 dollar wig is better than ever... shiney, silky, and oh so yummy smelling! ARIGATO!!! Who ever made this thread is a total genious!

Kairi G
09-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Well, i am going to have to try the detangler stuff. I had been taking such good care of my Umi wig but then it got massivly tangled at our cosplay picnic. Its a mess. and its a pretty thin wig so i dotn want to be ripping hair out of it to comb it. Ive been using a half water, half leave in conditioner spray each time i comb it, but it is just so tangled that i dont wanna ruin it...if it isnt already. but i could always just get another, it was pretty cheap, only like $20. Would washing the wig entirely help get the tangles out, and what do you all suggest as the best way to wash it.

deschaos
09-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Not really. You can rinse with conditioner and comb it whilst the conditioner is still on.

But the cheapness would explain everything.

Kairi G
09-17-2004, 10:55 AM
yeah thats why im considering just getting a new one... if i cant get it all straightened out with the conditioner stuff ill just order something new.

darkitec
10-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Thank you so much for the No more tangles information.

I have an old, very long, very cheap, costume wig that's been on and off the garage floor for 7+ years. A real mess. I washed it with wig shampoo and spent several hours with a wig comb trying to make something out of it. I then found this thread. I tried the no more tangles on it and with-in two hours I had managed to make it wearable again. The frizz gone and it actually looks better than when I purchased it.

Thank you, Thank you Thank you.

This evening I tried it on a good wig and had excellent results. It has been in storage for a very long time. While in much better condition, it wasn't looking very healty. It didn't seem to want to take a style. The bangs are now very flexible and look excellent. I'm so happy.

Lady Hoshi
10-18-2004, 05:34 PM
my question is what about the curls or waves that are suppose to be there. if i detangle my long wig, will i have to re-style it?

Sasuke_uchiha_6
07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Does any one if regular hair shine oil works on wigs???

Cora
07-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Does any one if regular hair shine oil works on wigs???

Please don't post on a thread that is 5-6 years old.

I'm assuming that "shine oil" is similar to Motion's Oil Sheen, and yes, it works. There are a lot of threads that explain how to use it, use the search function to find them.

Sasuke_uchiha_6
07-15-2009, 02:42 AM
sorry >< i didnt see the time span of this thread xx
thank you ^^

Tigress
07-15-2009, 03:25 AM
I usually comb it out with my fingers before and after wearing it. If it's really tangled, I wash it in warm water to help relax the fibers, then comb it out when it's dry.