PDA

View Full Version : Making a wig "from scratch"

chesh
07-08-2003, 11:31 PM
So, I'm trying to make wigs for the Twins (the albino viruses) from "The Matrix Reloaded". I've found the perfect dreads (for sale, even!) on ragdolly.net, but now I need to know how to attach them to a wig base -- can I even get one without hair already attached? And how could I get that fuzzy base-of-the-dreads look on the wig at the attachment point? I don't really want to just pinch-braid them in, as that can look really, really obvious when somebody inexperienced (me!) is doing it.

I *could* just put them on as extensions, but my hair isn't all that fond of my just now, and I don't want to risk ripping bits of it out if I screw up.

Gren
07-09-2003, 12:53 AM
The only wig bases I have found for sale have been for theatrical quality, and hideously ecpensive. Sooo, since I'm currently working on making a sora wig from scratch, I made my own base. I cut up the base of another wig which I didn't fancy any longer. Turns out it's pretty much just a long rectangle, with two half circles, some ear flaps, and a few strips of elastic.

Is it loose hair fr making dreads, or are the dreads pre-made? Are they folded over in half like the other ragdolly products?

chesh
07-09-2003, 11:41 AM
They're pre-made. They're folded over (about 16" long), but it looks like I should be able to unfold them to 32", since both ends are finished, and they don't seem to have any funky loops or anything at the middle.

What fabric to you use to make wig-bases from scratch?

Gren
07-09-2003, 05:19 PM
I just use netting. You can find it at any fabric store for 1.50/yard or less. Probably the easiest way to attach the dreads is just to hand sew them, folded in half, to the netting.

Ceres86
07-11-2003, 08:30 AM
um, u can buy a wig base for about 3 bucks but i cant really help you on where you can buy em. I know my parents sell them at their wig shop but not all beauty supply stores carry them...

If u do find one, you can just sew them on really tight cuz there are lil holes like a netting (havent really worked with extentions)

Gren's idea is really good.

Gren
07-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Ooo. Now I need to call around wig shops. I hate making the bases! Thanks for the info! This'll make at least a step of the process much easier! ^o^

chesh
07-11-2003, 10:43 AM
There's a pretty big wig shop in town (they have something like a few thousand wigs in stock). Thank you, Ceres, I'll have to check that out!
(I didn't think that a wig shop would sell wig bases -- duh.)

I love your icon, Gren.