PDA

View Full Version : Is this con any good?

StabbityBlkMage
07-09-2003, 12:47 AM
I've been pretty spoiled. Anime Expo is about 15 minutes from me. I've been going to it for the past 4 years and dont know anything smaller. So tell me if this smaller con is worthwhile?

Kensuke
07-09-2003, 01:22 AM
No. It sucks ass. Stay away from it.

But seriously, if you like Cosplay, I think you'll like Ani-Magic. I'm obviously bias since I work for the damn thing, so I'll let other people respond to this. "^_^"

Michi
07-09-2003, 01:31 AM
I don't quite get what you mean, StabbityBlkMage... You've been spoiled by AX's size and don't think you could enjoy a small con like Ani-Magic? I've always enjoyed Ani-Magic just because it's a fun weekend to relax after the rest of the year. It's a very far cry from the huge industry run convention AX is. It's like a cosplay party, even if you're not in costume.. I don't think anyone could say Ani-Magic isn't worth it, especially if it's in short driving distance. It's not going to kill you to try it out. ^_^; I recommend it. o.o

Famira Damaris
07-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Ani-Magic is, well, much more "intimate" than Anime Expo's environment. You can sit down without feeling like you're wasting "precious minutes". I personally find it more fun than Anime Expo.

AM Chair
07-09-2003, 02:03 AM
Stabbity:

If you like:

1. Waiting in line for your panels

2. Waiting in line for the Masquerade

3. Milling about with 10,000 souls

4. Paying $3.50 for hot dogs

5. Paying $130 for your hotel room..single occupancy

By all means don't show up. But if you crave not these things, come on up and hang with us and the guests (you can actually get close to them!) The Autumn Dream is NOT AX, nor is it meant to be. It's a very different sort of con, with a very different feel. And once you experienced it, you'll be back.

Revell

Mandy Mitchell
07-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Ani-Magic is a great con! I loved my first Ani-Magic so much that I kept on returning year after year! It's not that much further away if you live in LA/Orange County. You really get to meet and hang out with people.

Aya Mizu
07-09-2003, 01:04 PM
I believe there is another thread regarding the same subject?

JoeBoeing
07-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Let me say it this way... I've gone to the following cons Anime Con 01, AX 95-01, AX 03 and Fanime O2 and I had more fun at Ani-Magic 02 than all those cons combined.

The Cospplay under the stars a.k.a. the masquerade is poolside and no need to wait in long lines for tickets to get it. The GoH's are not sorounded by security. You can literally hang out with the GoH's.

This con is known as the cos-players con and the staff and volunteers are so friendly and really try to make it a pleasent con for you.

Last year I think the tally was around 400 attendees.

The panels are more personable and small enough that you can usually ask a couple questions.

The only drawback I can think of is the dealers room. It really lacks compared to AX and fanime.

But this is a con where you can meet new friends and hang out without the rush rush feeling of the larger cons.

After going to AM last year I found AX to be a bore.

FRom,
Joe

StabbityBlkMage
07-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Well thanks for all of your opinions, especially you Joe, it seems like this is more of a personal con rather than a massive con of massiveness. I suppose I will attend....next question is. Shall i stay overnight or not...2 hours each way for me and it says that its $$75 a night, so thats good. I dunno. I'll see you all there!

RyuHayabusaDOA2
07-09-2003, 08:51 PM
I was there in 2001 and I liked the atmosphere and the imtimacy of the con, plus I helped Rob Miles do his Jump Over The Pool stunt during the half-time masquerade show :D and yeah, me and my friend Jeff and my other friend Richard, we literally hanged out with Steve Bennett and Tomoko Taniguchi until the early of the hours evening sunday night...that was a cool thing and I felt that I was part of something special. I'll try to be there this year! :D

MegaMako
07-10-2003, 12:52 PM
I think you will have a great time, StabbityBlkMage. :)

I have gone the last few years, and always look forward to the next one. Just think of it as a big Cosplay party. The dealer's room is pretty small, but there is plenty of Cosplay fun!

See you there! ^^ I'm counting the days... :P

Kensuke
07-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by JoeBoeing
Let me say it this way... I've gone to the following cons Anime Con 01, AX 95-01, AX 03 and Fanime O2 and I had more fun at Ani-Magic 02 than all those cons combined.

Anime Con 01? Do you mean Anime Con 91?

Because if you mean Anime Con 91, I am impressed. You get a cookie.

I will now call you Joe Boeing: The Ancient & Wise.

JoeBoeing
07-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Yeah, typo... I ment Anime Con 91... I was only there for a few hours because I was visiting a friend in the area.

FRom,
Joe Boeing: The Ancient & Wise

MegaMako
07-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Sweet!, JoeBoeing.. I probably saw you there way back then. LOL.

I used to live in Sunnyvale CA, right near the Red Lion Inn. AnimeCon was awesome that year when Gainax was blowing out all of thier stuff there at super low prices. I remember how awesome that summer was. ^^ I also went to most of the BayCon's.

Wow.. Anime was pretty hard to get back then. LOL

Moon Prince
07-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Ani-Magic fun. Like what has been said.

It's a nice relaxing con. Where else can you sit by the pool and talk to a con guest? Or actually stand there and take the time to talk to a cosplayer and look at their costume with out a HUGE crowd gathering pining for pictures?

I've been going since the first year and I have had fun everytime.

It's just fun to go a kick it with your fellow fan.

Karisu-sama
07-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Ani-magic is probably our family's favorite anime con. It's comfortable, not rushed; it's a cosplayer's con; you can hang out with people and talk and swim and hot tub... Yep, it's a more intimate Cosplay Party!! ^_____^

Raider3
07-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Ani-Magic is quite fun, and a lot more self-contained and low-key than AX. (And I was surprised at the size of AX this year... Man, that con made me realize how out of shape I was... )

Anyway, AM is much less-stressful than that... If you're rooming on site, you get dressed, step out of your room, and *boom!* you're at the convention! No multiple flights of stairs or elevators from hell. (Well, unless you're in the sections of the inn with floors above ground, but even then it's not that big of a deal!) Moreover, if the mood strikes you, you and your costumed friends can head out and do a mass invasion on foot down the street to 7-Eleven or the Carl's Jr.!

In the meantime, since I'm staffing, I'm wondering just where at the AVI staff crash space will be... I'm new and all, but not a newbie to staffing. See you there!

Hibiki-chan
07-18-2003, 02:06 PM
I am planning to attend Ani-Magic with my second planned costume but I'm not sure if I can pull it off -- I mean AX wasnt near me, and I'm guessing Lancaster (which I've NEVER been to) is about the same amount of drive as I would from L.A. to Anaheim.

Either way, I'll probably go gung ho by myself and go there anyhow!

AM Chair
07-18-2003, 11:14 PM
Depending on where you are from in LA, the most it'll take you get here is an hour as long as the freeways cooperate. It's an hour from down town, 1:30 from Torrence

Revell