PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts: Metal Working

O0o=SoRa=o0O
07-09-2003, 02:09 AM
Hey,

I was Planning on Metalworking my Kingdom Key, and i was wondering on what metal I should use. Study yet light is what im looking for.

Thanks,

Sora

evaneko
07-09-2003, 07:24 AM
>< i don't have any advice on metal- however if you plan on bringing this to a con you should check the rules on weapons- some cons don't allow metal weapons

strychnine
07-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Our Con doesn't alow metal unless it's peace-bound in it's sheath.

However, if you wanted to make it LOOK metalic, I just heard about a new stainless steel paint that came on the market, it's pretty pricy though.

You could always go with chrome paint (that stuff works really well) and paint some crafted styrofoam or cut-out cardboard.

khamryn
07-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Strychnine- The new metallic paint is awesome.. I think Will used it on his latest gunblade and it was really cool so that's a good idea. :)

As for metal-working.. I want a metal keyblade as well but ah.. most cons don't allow metal weapons to my knowledge for security reasons. :\

Amethyst Angel
07-09-2003, 03:52 PM
New stainless steel metallic paint? Does this wonder substance have a name? (And would it be compatable with plastic surfaces?)

Nietsche
07-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Khamryn- that spray Will used certainly gave a great sheen! But he did have to respray it while in San Frncisco because the heat caused the pattern of the bubble wrap to be pressed into the gunblade...poor guy...but he did respray it many frustrating times...he wasn't happy about having to do it!

strychnine
07-09-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't know what the brands are, but they don't come in a spray paint. It's a brush-on paint and it costs about 50 buck for a litre. I saw it on a tv show...sorry! Maybe look it up on google or something?:thumbsup:

Gren
07-09-2003, 05:24 PM
I actually prefer the metalic paint look over metal when it comes to cosplay. It just photographs so much better.

khamryn
07-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Dez- Really? I hardly saw him during the con. x.x That sucks.. but it looked beautiful at least ^^;;;;

Gren- I don't.. why? Because weapons are generally made out of metal :p (Unless your a cosplayer.. wood is the preferred choice XD)

TheBrainUM
07-10-2003, 05:33 PM
well I thikn they would allow this. I have never seen a sharp key blade, even the one in the game doesn't look all that sharp. I don't think the rules apply to metal poles which is what this would be essentially. Since this is going to look like a keyblade and not an actual sword, the people in charge probably won't even realize it's not wooden. I mean I don't know, but if there is no actual blade on the item I don't see what the problem would be. You could beat someone sensless just as easily with a well made wooden keyplade as you could a metal one

khamryn
07-10-2003, 05:48 PM
TheBrain- Otakon had their weapons policy last year that said absolutely no metal weapons. ::Shrug.:: I'm basing off that mostly.. and Katsucon is even more of a nazi and doesn't even allow wooden props (or didn't last Feb.. maybe they'll get better?)

Gren
07-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Cances are, you'll have to get your prop checked by security. And they will definately be able to tell it's not wooden. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of being out on a prop.

khamryn
07-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Gren- Neither would I.. ^_^

Gren
07-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Plus Keyblades are oodles and oodles of fun to pose with! To the point that I'm making a Heartless Riku, partially as an excuse to make a second keyblade. They're a fun fun prop. You can wave them around and pose with them and people always were supper happy to get to hold it and fuss about with it while I did things like take off my horrible clawed gloves so I could actually -use- my hands.

O0o=SoRa=o0O
07-11-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Gren
Plus Keyblades are oodles and oodles of fun to pose with! To the point that I'm making a Heartless Riku, partially as an excuse to make a second keyblade. They're a fun fun prop. You can wave them around and pose with them and people always were supper happy to get to hold it and fuss about with it while I did things like take off my horrible clawed gloves so I could actually -use- my hands.

I Completly Agree, seeing as how AX04 will be my First Cosplaying Experiance i wanna go full out... and all of those paints and metallic looking stuff wont suffice for the real steal thing... i wanna make my keyblade look good, and real. i want to have it stand out for be the only real keyblade, not a foam board look alike im going for replica...

-Sora

Gren
07-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Go ahead and make one. But I don't recommend trying to take it to a convention.

People can give you all the advice in the world, if you're not willing to listen to it, it's wasting both of our time. So make one. You can purchase sheet metal at most hardware stores. If you want tips on how to make it solid metal, you should talk to people who forge. Try the Rennaisance faire circuit. People who cosplay know how to make convention legal props. That means plastic, foam, paper maché and the like. If you want to make a dangerous prop (which a big hunk of metal is. Not to mention that your arms will ace by the end of the day from holding such a top heavy hunk of metal) then cosplayers really aren't the people to talk to.

O0o=SoRa=o0O
07-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Gren
Go ahead and make one. But I don't recommend trying to take it to a convention.

People can give you all the advice in the world, if you're not willing to listen to it, it's wasting both of our time. So make one. You can purchase sheet metal at most hardware stores. If you want tips on how to make it solid metal, you should talk to people who forge. Try the Rennaisance faire circuit. People who cosplay know how to make convention legal props. That means plastic, foam, paper maché and the like. If you want to make a dangerous prop (which a big hunk of metal is. Not to mention that your arms will ace by the end of the day from holding such a top heavy hunk of metal) then cosplayers really aren't the people to talk to.

thank you for the input.... you acctually had changed my mind...... :looks for other materials" but I'm Still gonna make a metal kingdom key.... just not for con's.

-Sora

caelestis
07-19-2003, 02:57 AM
I've been working on an oblivion keyblade out of pine and it isn't heavy at all-- but it's pretty thin and detailed though. Hopefully it'll turn out allright ^^

But Khamryn-- Katsu doesn't allow wooden weapons? *eeps*

carly579
07-20-2003, 08:47 PM
I'd suggest Aluminum if you want to make it out of metal. It's ultra light weight and when polished looks a lot like silver. You can get it in a um.....er.... 10 gauge sheet and cut it with a jewlery saw....I've heard you can use a scroll saw but that idea scares me ^_^;