PDA

View Full Version : Getting mistaken for different characters

enishi
09-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Anybody get mistaken for characters they're not supposed to be while in costume? For example, people keep calling me "Goku" when I'm in my Enishi costume.

At AX, I had four people call me "Squall" when I was wearing my Tidus costume and my Brotherhood sword a "gunblade."

-__-

SeraMuun
09-20-2002, 10:43 PM
I get it all the time when im in my Kagome from Inuyasha costume.. everyone thinks im sailor jupiter -.-*****
and i had someone mistake my inuyasha costume for a cat girl.....

ZiggyB
09-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Yah I had a big problem with that with my Johnny from DDR costume. Of course I wore it to ComicCon, not exactly a big anime or DDR fanbase, but still. :P I got mistaken for Elvis (of course), Johnny Bravo and some guy named y2kai.

Oshi
09-20-2002, 11:28 PM
At AXNY... yknow those 'Chibi Trigunners'?
They started calling my Kaze costume Harry Potter ;_;

Rosiel
09-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaall the time.

Zoisite got mistaken as Kunzite, and Nephrite a number of times.

Rosiel was at different times Vicious from Cowboy Beebop, Gackt, Sephiroth, someone from X, and a few others that don't come to mind right now. Basically every white haired character ended up being applied to that costume at one time or another.

^______^

Oh yes and Professor Tomoe too!
(Don't ask)

Tenshisama
09-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Yep Yep, when I wore my Hanaukyo Maid Tai outfit to Sakuracon, I kept getting called "Mahoro". I just kinda found it funny that people would be so sure about it too. ^_^;;

Jinx
09-21-2002, 12:09 AM
Hmmm... someone thought my Honey costume was from Nautico, but I suppose that's ok since FV isn't very popular...

Strangely enough, people got my evil Yuri costume right. o.o

shiroi_yukiko
09-21-2002, 12:17 AM
My whole Angel Sanctuary group a few years back was called both Dir en grey and Malice Mizer the whooooooole time we were in costume. Everyone was so sure we were j-rockers!

Yuna
09-21-2002, 12:53 AM
some guy said when I was wearing my wedding Yuna costume that I was Tifa, but then he changed his mind and said I was Aeris. He wasn't exactly too bright.

Celine
09-21-2002, 01:42 AM
Haha, yup. When I went as Fen Feiring, I was mistaken for Shampoo, Meiling (CCS), and Chun Li.

videogirlc
09-21-2002, 03:02 AM
My devil hunter Ayoko was mistaken for Shampoo from Ranma 1/2. Well it didn't help that my boyfriend was dressed as Ryoga.

Rosiel
09-21-2002, 07:24 AM
> My whole Angel Sanctuary group a few years back was called both Dir en grey and Malice Mizer the whooooooole time we were in costume.

LOL Even with more wings than people, as one of my AS group walked down the hall, we heard people scream "Oh look it's X" a few times. ^___^

And then obscure stuff like Ramirez got recognized perfectly. I'm still amazed at Akon I had people running up to Charli and I screaming "Ramirez" or "Belleza". Straaaaaaange.

KuroBara
09-21-2002, 09:04 AM
"Oh! You're Sailor Moon!"

...actually, I'm Neptune. See, the skirt is turquoise, so are the shoes with the lace up ribbons, and this mirror...but I can see where you'd get that wrong. Actually, that happened last Halloween, not at a con. Silly anime-illiterate campus.

Chosuke
09-21-2002, 09:37 AM
Well when I was at AN dressed as Ranma saotome in black
these two ladies at a sort of charity table filled with sailor moon merchandise started wailing "DUOOOOO CHANNNN!!!" and following me around with a videocamera..o.o; trying to make me say things and pose..so I did,after I had rolled up my sleeves to show the white underside and tucking my chinese smock in.All I had to do was tuck a napkin underneath the highcollar and it was instant priesthood ^^;;

so I didn't mind much,I looked a better duo then ranma..since my braid WAS brown o.o;

kelldar
09-21-2002, 09:57 AM
My friend had the same thing happen to her when she was dressed as black Ranma! She finally gave up, and when people asked if she was Duo, she just said yes.

Sami
09-21-2002, 10:39 AM
Yeah, when I wore my Red XIII costume, people constnantly thought I was Merle or something. ^^; I think only one or two people knew who I was, and one of them was a merchant in the dealer's room. :D

Tenshi
09-21-2002, 10:49 AM
Sailor V was called Sailormoon all the time. . .did I have odango? ._.;;;

I heard Cammy from Street Fighter when I wore Celes. . .that was rather amusing. I didn't know Cammy wore a cape :P.

Famira Damaris
09-21-2002, 11:43 AM
*grumbles* People kept mistaking be for Frau Bo at AX 2002. oO; Even though Frau Bo wears something completely different (I was Mirai Yashima in uniform). ;_;

Chosuke
09-21-2002, 11:49 AM
That funny!
But these two ladies,not really cosplaying..one was wearing a pair of cat ears..were like,videotaping me and my friend Lisa for a good portion of the con..I guess she liked our costumes o.o;
I remember clearly her screaming "Say something to the camera little duo! say Hi hun!" So I kinda waved..and was like "heya lady" o.o;..and proceeded to get into char..it was fun.

Maryssa
09-21-2002, 04:38 PM
my most frequent problem is not being mistaken for another character, its usually just no one having a clue who i am at all o_O; though more recently i've had more recognizable costumes (although at Otakon someone didnt know that i was belldandy)

Nietsche
09-21-2002, 05:38 PM
Claude C Kenni from Star Ocean EX managed to get mistaken for Trunks from DBZ...since when has Trunks worn a headband?

Celine
09-21-2002, 06:30 PM
Nietsche, is Trunks the dude with the "C" patches on his jacket as well? ^^ Because I got the same problem when I went as Claude... that was too long ago and I'm not familiar with DBZ, so I didn't understand the mistake.

Nietsche
09-21-2002, 06:36 PM
Celine- Yup he is that guy!
The game jacket looks more like Trunks' jacket than the anime jacket too...I am glad that it is not just me!

Hikaru Tsuki
09-21-2002, 06:53 PM
Somehow, some guys thought I was Pikachu when I was in my Puchiko costume. O_o;;;; My friends and I got back at them (they were calling us freaks), when they asked one of my friends who he was, (he was Lulu) he said "I'm being a WOMAN!" and they screamed "ITS A GUY!!!!" XD

scandia
09-21-2002, 07:28 PM
I don't think any of my characters has been mistaken for anyone else. Although few recognized Nadeshiko Kinomoto, and nobody recognized Kendappa or Little Neese (I was wearing her priestess outfit, not her usual orange one).

Confusions on my part:

They I thought

Puff-Puff Girl from Dragon Quest Miyuki-chan in Wonderland hare
Yuzuriha from X Satsuki from X
Evila from Space Channel 5 II Ulala from same game

Cat Scratch
09-21-2002, 08:36 PM
Some one thought I was Queen Amadala when I was in my Carmila costume. I guess it's an honest mistake. Big hair, elaberet red dress. But still... I also had some one think I was Eve from Parasite Eve.

Cat Scratch
09-21-2002, 08:38 PM
My friend had me make him a costume of The King in Yellow from the H.P.Lovecraft story an people mistook him for a leaper.

digikoomi
09-21-2002, 09:58 PM
Well the funny thing is I was Yuki from fruits basket, but I just had holding my brother's sword for a second, a girl ask me that am I a character from WeiB...and this is another funny thing that happen to me, that is my friend point at Squall and keep calling him Cloud...so..I call him Could too >_< so shame.....

Ali-kun
09-21-2002, 11:05 PM
Hahaha, I have an even better story ;P

Saturday at A-kon I got up early (okay, RELATIVELY early) to to go the dealers' room, so I was wandering around as Alec from Ayashi no Ceres on little sleep...and when some chick asked if I was Watari from Yami no Matsuei I accidentally said yes x.x

I should have just left it at that but then I had to correct myself, I probably both confused her and sounded totally dumb XD

(Well, I HAD planned to change Alec to Watari if the rest of my AnC group didn't pull through, and actually finish their friggin' costumes...but I still had no excuse to be that dumb *giggles*)

scandia
09-22-2002, 06:32 AM
Someone thought this girl I knew who was dressed as Nagi Naoe from WK was Kamui from X.

Dragoon Knight
09-22-2002, 03:15 PM
At AX when I cosplayed the Blacksmith from Ragnarok Online, people thought I was Tidus, and then at SDCC when I was Tidus and Kitty was Tifa, some people said that I was Squall and she was Aeris, then the next day Kitty and I were cosplaying our Squalls and some guy thought I was Tidus and she was Tifa O.o I mean come on...get your characters sorted out BAKA's ...lol

Shing57
09-22-2002, 05:21 PM
I've seen a lot of Chichiri's from FY getting mistaken for Miroku from Inuyasha and vise versa.

khamryn
09-22-2002, 06:59 PM
NDK...

People kept calling me Farfy while I was in my Touya. Even before I stuck the blood on. >.< And some guy walked by and said "Resident Evil ^.^" and I was like "... no ............."

Mei Lan Chang
09-22-2002, 09:25 PM
HAHAHAHA..these are all too funny. I can't wait to see what people think I am when I dress as a Gimme Cat for Ani-Magic.

Kamui Motoaki
09-22-2002, 09:46 PM
heheheha . . . ha hahah!!!
i'm gonna cosplay as JACKIE CHAN!!!! ^_^

Dragoon Knight
09-22-2002, 10:07 PM
O.o LMAO!!!

Himemiya
09-22-2002, 10:41 PM
I once mistook a black lady for shampoo from ranma 1/2. I don't even remember *what* she was wearing, but her hair was in shampoo-looking buns on the top of her head, and hair is the first thing i look for ^.^;;

KELL - i was dressed as Ranma-chan at animazement, and your friend was ranma in the black chinese outfit, and it didn't even click in my head that she was ranma until later that day x.x I felt so bad!! Glomp her once for me and tell her im sorry!

On a webpage, someone put the caption "charmy from DDR" under a picture of me in my Emi costume -.-; Oh well, its not that popular of a game anyway ^.^;

Koumori
09-23-2002, 08:45 AM
I was wearing what I thought was a generic gothic lolita dress & headpiece at AnimeFest, but I had blue bangs, so people kept asking me if I was Mana. I wasn't supposed to be, but I could see where they would have thought so, so eventually I just told them I could be if they wanted. I was a lot more vocal than Mana, though.

HuongStar
09-23-2002, 10:59 AM
The best thing I did was convince someone that my Ulala Serizawa costume was some made-up obscure J-Rock band....it got even better when the j-rock fangirl said she'd heard of that band. XD

Rosiel
09-23-2002, 11:08 AM
> it got even better when the j-rock fangirl said she'd heard of that band.

LOL.

I've had the temptation of dressing up randomly with a group of friends, making up an anime, and going around the con trying to convince people it exists. ^____^ Haven't done it yet though.

Makoto
09-23-2002, 11:16 AM
There's cosplay for PCCR (http://bishounen.org/pccr/), so anything is possible. ;)

Hikaruchan
09-23-2002, 01:20 PM
At both AWA and DragonCon, I had some total clueless person guess I was George Washinton while dressed as Lady Oscar. Right time period - wrong sex and country. Especially clueless was the AWA person - as I was carrying a French flag and it was an anime con - Hello.

A J
09-23-2002, 05:05 PM
I lost count of the number of times people have called me Deedlit while in my Pirotess costume... I guess I should be glad they're at least getting the right anime series but come on, they don't look ANYTHING alike... :)

Michi
09-24-2002, 01:04 PM
Hmmm.... When my friend Seri and I wore Anthy & Utena on Halloween in '99, we got three Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band comments. ^_^; But these were people that didn't even know what anime was, so, it was just fine. I didn't care; it was my first time cosplaying and I like the Beatles. :DDD

I've had lots of people ask me what the heck I am when I'm in Gackt or Kami, because they don't know J-rock. I remember explaining Malice Mizer about six times when I was Illuminati Gackt at AFest. o_x

I felt bad when this one girl, a friend of my friend's, was dressed as Treize but her hair was black and to her chin.. So I thought she was Noin, because it was too long since I had watched Gundam Wing to remember the outfit completely. ^_^;; I let her use our blonde hairspray after that. XD

Can't remember being mistaken for anything, but I'm pretty sure it has happened at a con. *is really braindead right now*

Psychotic Jei
09-24-2002, 02:18 PM
The worst thing for me....was when some mistaken my Farfarello costume for Fujin. -_-; Of course the guy was apologizing the rest of the con....after I gave him a deathglare. x_x;

battlechaser
09-24-2002, 03:05 PM
hehe... happens all the tym. ^o^"""

people kept calling me ran 'aya' fujimiya when i was wearing my sakuya kira costume (when did ran wear a leather jacket? it was ken, ne?) i thought only a few think that way until our group (angel sanctuary) did our skit on the stage... evryone were shouting 'ayyyaaaaaa!!!!!!!!' <major sweatdrop> --__--ooo

ja!

battlechaser

Shima-Mizu
09-24-2002, 03:47 PM
When I went to AXNY as Yukino in her sweats costume, a few people (I think Ranma included) confused me for some game character...from a game I've never heard of...

Scoti
09-24-2002, 09:03 PM
when my mother was droping us off at CNanime I asked her if I could test this color hair spray on her because we had the same hair color. anyway after my "testing" we all got out of that car and like 3 people started taking pics of my mom thinking she was cosplaying because she had blue in her hair (plus my mom's funky clothing style didn't help much lol)O_o;;

at anime north '01
iori yagami="j-rock trowa" "that guy from streetfighter..ryu?''
anime north'02
seymour= "kuja" O_o; (I'm not sure how the heck that happened)
Mika="Tasuki (FY)" (I wasn't even carrying a fan! and tasuki doesn't have wings!)

Celine
09-24-2002, 10:10 PM
I almost forgot- when I went as TK, my friend went as season 2 Tai in his winter outfit. People kept thinking he was Davis, or the Digimon Emperor... and he got so angry! I dunno, I was just proud of people for identifying Digimon. ^_^

Xx Lulu xX
09-29-2002, 09:54 PM
::bouncer:: I was a Miko Rei Hino, (Sailormoon), and everyone kept calling me Rei ayanami....odd...no?

SailorAndromeda
09-30-2002, 05:27 PM
At Otakon this year, when I was Evila, a whole slew of people called me "Evil Ulala". I would politely tell them I was "Evila", but hey, at least the knew the game. And I guess Evila IS sort of like an Evil Ulala.
And not too many knew what I was when I was a Female Summoner (FFT). But I didn't really expect to get recognized, and there were some who knew what I was ^^

~*Liz*

Daitenshi
09-30-2002, 10:32 PM
At Dragon*Con Lindze let me borrow her Lilith costume. People kept calling me Morigan O.o;;....
I just politely pointed out the difference by pointing to my chest and saying "Morigan has DD's. Alas, I do not." XD

Yuna
10-01-2002, 05:34 PM
THAT'S WHY LILTH ROXORS!!

SailorAndromeda
10-02-2002, 12:09 PM
Haha, that's funny Jenny ^^
I thought you looked good in Lindze's Lillith btw. It confused me at first though :)

Kendo_Bunny
10-03-2002, 05:28 PM
At Otakon 2002 I accidentally mistook Poco for Raiel... at least until I got close (my glasses were dirty) It was the hat that got me... their hats are exactly the same style. And at a very long range I mistook the back of the black Vash for Vicious. ^^;;

I've never actually been mistaken for anyone else, since I only go as original characters ^^; But one of my friends had to make a 'I am NOT a Sailor Scout!' sign for her Kagome costume ^^;

Nine
10-12-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Hikaru Tsuki
My friends and I got back at them (they were calling us freaks), when they asked one of my friends who he was, (he was Lulu) he said "I'm being a WOMAN!" and they screamed "ITS A GUY!!!!" XD

Lol I remember that XD I can't believe they thought I was a girl.. come on my fake breasts aren't in proportion with my body, I have a guy figure, I even think I had stubble from not shaving/shaving horribly... XD

Besides with people thinking I'm a girl in my Lulu costume.. no ones ever mistaken me for anyone else... With my Alice costume no one knew who I was, does that count? lol

Chiri
10-12-2002, 09:10 AM
I can't remember how many people mistook me in my Chichiri costume (it's not like you could have made that mistake O.o...but most knew who I was >^^<), but people thought I was Xellos (Slayers Try), and a ton others .... o_O;

But, like I said, most obviously knew who I was, because I just kept hearing: "CHICHIRI NO DA!" being yelled at me from behind me, and then across the Mariott ... XD

~ Chiri

ReiChan
10-12-2002, 04:15 PM
Someone mistook my Haruko Haruhara for Julia from Bebop.

How that happened, I have no idea. Haruko looks absolutely nothing like Julia AT ALL. Heh...I thought that was funny. I set the poor confused guy straight, but I was nice about it. ^_^

Oshi
10-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Get this... at AnimeNEXT, there were a couple people confusing Seifer and Squall... KH Squall, even...

Rosiel
10-15-2002, 09:37 AM
I have to mention I got more mistaken identities than ever before at AnimeUSA.. =)

First of all, Schuldig. How mainstream is that? I thought everyone knew of Weiss Kreuz, if only because they hate it. But people kept on asking me if I was "that Saiyuki guy" (probably Goyjo).

Then the infamous "Are you Sephiroth" question emerged again. And again. I should have put on my Atziuluth hat with my uniform... because I spent a lot of time at the Ironcat table with a YUFFIE which I am sure did not help. LOL.

BabySnowLeopard
10-15-2002, 05:49 PM
"LOOK!!! IT'S LINK AND DEEDLIT!!!"

ROFL ~~~~~~~~~~~~~XD

lol... that and, when we talked to Tomoko Saito at Fanime 01, I was dressed as Pochi and Lily was dressed as Saria, sans ears... and Saito-san had to do a double-take before she realized Lily wasn't dressed as Mint X3 I guess they are really similar!

~Kie

Lightning Count
10-15-2002, 09:47 PM
When I was dressed as Diana (Sailor Moon) for Ani-Magic someone thought I was Chibi Chibi........ AS IF!!!!!! ;ob

Kelvena
10-16-2002, 02:13 PM
At SakuraCon (I'm a west coaster) I was walking around, *not dressed up* with my hair in a braid (it's long, and brown), and I heard some girl as I walked by going "it's Duo!"

No, thank you, it's a tired little fangirl walking around in her PJs.

LaylaCinder
10-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Well... way back at Otakon 2000; when before that there were hardly any j-rock cosplayers, everyone was convinced I was from Five Star Stories, when in truth I was Cyberland Mana. ^^; Even had some guys asking me to do some "compromising" to say the least pictures in it, thinking I was from FSS. I guess I can see a slight resemblance...but still. And at anime next...I had people thinking my water sprite was Undine, I think it is? :o Which...I really might as well have been.

Rosiel
10-21-2002, 01:40 PM
More mistaken identities at Sugoicon this weekend!

A Waker cosplayer from Hellsing thought my degenerating Rosiel outfit was Integra Hellsing. He must have missed the puckered blue-veined half of my face. ^___^

But the best one came on Friday... I was asked (repeatedly) if I was Julia from Cowboy Beebop. And I wasn't even in costume. O_O;;;;;;;;;;;; Maybe I should have started saying "Yes" and trying to hunt down a Spike... LOL

Ninjafu
10-21-2002, 04:19 PM
This Ish me

Rikkumaru (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=6874&papass=&sort=1&thecat=540)

From Tenchu at Otakon 2002.
I guess some video game chars don't fly so well.
I got alot of "HEY! It's Strider!" and "Hey a generic Ninja"
Very few people could guess who I was without a hint.
Fortunatley other Ninjas knew and they all noticed my official NinjaBurger.com pin and bowed out of respect.

cutekawaii
10-23-2002, 08:31 AM
At Dragon*Con I was Mileena from Mortal Kombat and SOOO many poeple thought I was either Kitanta (who is blue, not purple! And she has fans, not sai!!) or Elektra from Daredevil.

One guy at the front desk said,
"That's a great costume, and it's great that you made it before the movie came out."
me: "uh...yeah.." *thinking: there have been 2 mk movies...*
him: "What do you think of Ben Affleck in the movie?""
me: "....Ben Affleck was in Mortal Kombat?"
him "...you're not Elektra are you..."
me: "No."
him: "Oh. Nice costume anyway!"

So after that friends convinced me to make Elektra for DC*03 because of all the confusion I got, and because I make such a damn good ninja xD They also want me to make Psylocke from X-Men....too many ninja costumes...damn my Ninja Skillz!!

Pipneko
10-23-2002, 09:36 PM
cute kawaii: LOL!!!

everyone ealse: LOL!!!!

hmm.. well, I have a couple instances... one was at the most recent Otakon, I didn't have time to finish my Sesshoumaru costume (from Inuyasha) but I had all the details, makeup and excessories so I went as modern-day Goth Sesshoumaru, and amused alot of people... but I think alot of other people had no idea who I was and figured I was just dressing as a random JRock figure. lol! After some of the people took my picture, I would ask if they knew who I was and they would reply: "Er... that... girl... from.... that.... anime...." sweat drop and run away. lol!

shoot... there was another one, but it's slipped my mind. lol! ^_^''

Eibii
10-24-2002, 06:29 AM
My young Muraki costume has gotten a ton of folks going "buh?" at it. (Like I've said before, it's an obscure version of a character from an already-obscure anime... >_o) I get a lot of Ayanami Rei comments in it, and it didn't get any fewer after I sang Cruel Angel's Thesis at this last NDK karaoke (at, like, 3 or so in the morning). Thankfully, I bring the Volume 8 YnM manga around in case I've got the time to flash it at people and say "Not Rei, sorry!" and then totter on my merry way.

Also this year, I got a boy in a Haruka costume asking me if I was Ami-chan... How do you get Ami-chan out of *this*? (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=11585&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500) Ah well, I'm rarely in a foul mood when it comes to telling folks what character I'm dressed as, so it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

My Blue Youshi's fairly obscure as well, but being in less of a hardcore anime crowd than NDK, she didn't get as much out right "Are you this? Are you are you are you???" confusion as Muraki did. I either got Smurf, or Eiffel 65 jokes - and there was one person who thought I was a Drow (blue Drow?). Didn't bring pictures that time (since I kind of don't have any ATM, bleh, need to print some later), but it'd definitely be a good thing to do for whatever future con I wear her to. ("Hey, she's 7 feet tall and butch! And you're not!" "Oh, um, I can explain... hey look at that shiny thing over there!" *zoom*)