PDA

View Full Version : School Emblem

silentstardust
08-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm working on a cosplay that has a school emblem patch on a jacket. It isn't a patch that I can buy premade (say like Ouran for example). I've been trying to brainstorm ideas to make the emblem myself but I wanted to ask if anyone had other ideas that might be better. So far the only thing i've come up with was doing a heat transfer of the emblem to some thick fabric, say canvas, and sewing it on. I'm not at a point in sewing where I can embroider yet.

The Hag
08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Inkjet fabric is another option. It's available in craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore. You can just print out the emblem on the fabric. I think it looks better than iron on.

virus=[1.6k]
08-26-2008, 08:37 AM

potatoperson110
08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, how does inkjet fabric work?

The Hag
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
It's just an 8.5"x11" piece of fabric that you can put in an inkjet printer and print on like it was paper. It comes in a few different varieties (fiber type, texture, washable, etc.). Some of the more specialty ones may only be available online. I seem to recall reading on some blog that you could use any old fabric if you treated it the right way, but I don't remember the details and I'm too lazy to google right now! XD

Mangochutney
08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
O HAY, look what I found! I knew I'd seen what Hag was talking about somewhere.

Golden Digital Grounds, for making weird things printer-friendly! (http://www.goldenpaints.com/mixmoremedia/digiground.php)

I'd recommend Googling "golden digital ground" to find an art supply shop that carries it; I saw Daniel Smith and Blick on the first page of results.

potatoperson110
08-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Heh, that's cool :}

The Hag
08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Thank you Mango for not being as lazy as I am!

silentstardust
08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I think i'm going to try out "The Hag"'s idea first. Since i'm going to be redrawing the logo in Illustartor from scratch I should be able to come out with a clean image when printed. And there is a Michael's less than 5 minutes from where i live.

O HAY, look what I found! I knew I'd seen what Hag was talking about somewhere.

Golden Digital Grounds, for making weird things printer-friendly! (http://www.goldenpaints.com/mixmoremedia/digiground.php)

I'd recommend Googling "golden digital ground" to find an art supply shop that carries it; I saw Daniel Smith and Blick on the first page of results.

Thanks. I have a not so cheap nor not so expenisve printer so I think I'm going to try to do it without first. I live in an area where there are quite a few independently owned fine art supply stores so if I try to use these products i'm gonna check with them thanks. I know these stores carry Golden products cause i bought them there ;)

;2600049']if you got skill you could hand paint it but inkjet would be better ... whats the cosplay ?

I have the skills ^^ The cosplay is the one mentioned in my signature "Hikari" and it's a school outfit. The emblem is very important to this cosplay because she belongs to an elite class of students. It's going to be done in January but I wanted to get a jump start.