PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is 'cosplaying the in-thing' ?

Melchior
09-22-2002, 01:42 PM
This is kind of an offshoot thread of ranma's "Overdone Cosplays" thread. A great thread, but a few people mentioned just doing a certain costume because it is the "hot" thing at the moment. Although I'm sure this is valid for some people, I'd be willing to bet that there is a vocal minority of people who have seen the series, loved it, and cosplayed it for that reason.

Take our anime club for instance. While alot of us love to cosplay, usually we only have enough moola to do one costume or series a year. But I'd like to think our groups turn out very well for the time we spend on our costumes.

This year we did Inuyasha. Every one of us loves the series and this was our primary motivation to do the costumes from it. I love my Inuyasha costume, and I really want to wear it more, but anyone who was at Otakon 2002 knows that it was "Night of a Million-Zillion Inuyashas". So it's somehow the "hot" thing of the moment. Kinda depressing when you're one of 20 people with the same costume (as most of you have experienced I'm sure).

Next year, our club is doing Angelic Layer. We've had this idea since maybe, oh, September of last year. But we wont get around to cosplaying it until NEXT year (2003), and by then there will be a million people cosplaying that as well. Ah well. At least we'll have fun.
:D

So the rest of you, what do you think about this? It's kind of hard to differentiate "hot series cosplay" from "good series cosplay". How many Chii's have actually seen Chobits? How many people have played FFX that cosplay Yuna (the majority, I would gather). Thats kinda what I'm fishing for. Maybe more people than you think do their costuming for the love of the series rather than the character design.

Just a thought, hope I didnt offend anyone unintentionally.

Space Invader
09-22-2002, 09:12 PM
I just dress up in an outfit I find appealing. I personally don't give a damn what everyone else is wearing, although I do have to admit that it would be weird with 20 other people dressed up as the same character as me ^^,. That's why I pick lesser-known / more complex outfit. No school uniforms or anything like that for me :).

Tea-chan
09-22-2002, 09:18 PM
Series that are massively, massively popular to cosplay currently:

CHOBITS(Most definitely. So many Chiis! *_*;; I was going to do a Chobits costume, but, now.. no.)
InuYasha(So many InuYasha cosplayers. A few are good, but a lot seem to have something that just doesn't work for it.)
FFX(Too popular. x_@)

I believe Chobits will be the next Sailor Moon of cosplay. Yes. That's exactly it.

Mei Lan Chang
09-22-2002, 10:12 PM
I was planning on doing a Mai...but I admit I was discouraged to see that it has been done so many times.

Now that is not to say you should not make a costume because everyone else thinks that the charactor you like is really cool too.

I will proudly strut my stuff an Ani-Magic in the highly overplayed Rei Ayanami plugsuit, but to I care? Heck no! I am balancing it out with an original charactor later, but still. PLAY WHATCHA WANNA!

Space Invader
09-22-2002, 10:25 PM
>PLAY WHATCHA WANNA!

That's really true. Leave it to me to do either a) a really little known/ undercosplayed character, or b) an outfit that almost no one would try to attempt. Except me, but maybe that's because I'm kinda nutty ^^,

Himemiya
09-23-2002, 09:14 AM
I prefer doing a character that I love, AND I doubt that anyone else will cosplay. Like for chobits, I like chii and all, but I'm doing a Yumi costume ^_^ So I can pose with all the chiis! Yay!
I've developed a twitch to people who see a picture of a character, watch an episode, and crank out a costume. I think I'm allergic to them.

KuroBara
09-23-2002, 09:19 AM
Melchior- You're the fourth person I've heard mention cosplaying Angelic Layer at Otakon 2003 (including me!) I always have fun posing with someone cosplaying from the same series. Does anyone remember the chorus line of Vashes at Otakon 2001? They were hilarious! My first cosplay was the very common Suzaku no miko. Even though I ran into 5 more, we had each done it in our own way. The best was running into a suzaku seishi group that had everyone but a Miaka and Tamahome. Had I decided against doing a "common" cosplay, I would have missed out on a great photoshoot.

Cosplay who you want to because you like the character, not because it's been done, or it's the trendy thing.

HuongStar
09-23-2002, 11:57 AM
It's one thing to cosplay as something that everyone is doing (ie Chobits) but it's another thing when you don't bother to find out about the series or anything.

This happened to J-Rock a couple of seasons ago where everyone started to make J-Rock costumes for no reason other than everyone started to do it. Chobits is the current fad and I've heard people talk about cosplaying it without even bothering to read the series. >_< I can understand if something is next to impossible to play/read/find information on (ie Korean or super-new Japanese series) but I wouldn't cosplay something I knew absolutely nothing about. *shrug*

As for overdone cosplay, I have a ton of "overdone" characters I'd like to make but I won't try to make them until I know I can improve on the design and construction.

Rosiel
09-23-2002, 12:13 PM
> Had I decided against doing a "common" cosplay, I would have missed out on a great photoshoot.

And you would not have had the temptation to get a sign to go with your costume. I considered it a few times when Rosiel was being consistantly mis-identified. ^___^

But I have to admit, I /like/ obscure cosplays...

KuroBara
09-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Obscure cosplays are fun, the few people who do recognize you are usually really cool.

John Booty
09-23-2002, 02:02 PM
I like obscure costumes!

I was Frog from Chrono Trigger at Otakon2K2 and while most people had no idea who I was, the small number of people who did recognize the character were extremely happy! That made the costume worth it.

The other sorta-obscure costume I have is Wildstar (Kodai) from Star Blazers (Yamato). That hasn't been on the air in the U.S. since I was a tiny kid.

Hardly anybody recognizes that one except for like, 35 year-old dudes (I'm 26, for the record). But a few younger people recognize now and then. Whoever recognizes it, it always makes me happy. ^_^

Hikaruchan
09-23-2002, 02:26 PM
I do obscure cosplays of characters I love, but I also do popular characters if I like them. I am sure I will be one of many Kagomes at AWA this weekend (but I will hopefully have a ghetto InuYasha around to be a bit different) - but I am trying to finish up another costume that I have only seen done 3 times before so at most I would major maybe 2 of this character will be there.

Kurenai
09-23-2002, 09:54 PM
While I think some of the really popular costumes deserve to be because of awesome character design/development, some are just a fad. Personally, I'm not sure why, but cosplaying the more obscure characters can be really fun ^_^

Karasu
09-23-2002, 10:29 PM
I cosplay the characters I love! When I cosplayed Akane (Sailor Lead Crow) only one person recognized me. I truely don't care for the 'in' cosplayed character.

My next ones are the adult Katan (Angel Sanctuary) and Sora (Escaflowne movie).

Tenshi
09-24-2002, 12:09 AM
So far my costumes have had a good balance of obscurity and recognizability. The most wonderful thing about my FFVI costumes is having those rare people recognize it and get excited *_*. But it's not so fun when the outfit is SO obscure that only two people at the biggest con in North America recognize you >.<. And I thought Pretear was more popular than that :P.

Michi
09-24-2002, 12:10 AM
I remember AX2000 was FF8/Rinoa occupied.. and in 2001 at every con I went to there was Trigun everywhere. I also remember about 10 Asuka Langleys at Otakon, ALL in that yellow dress. o_o This year... it's FFX and Chobits, definately.

I like obscure/lesser seen cosplays. Because the people that recognize you think it's really superawesome, and I love that. ^^

Psychotic Jei
09-25-2002, 02:12 AM
Yeah...I try to find characters that I like alot...and that people rarely cosplay. Like Kiros....has anyone ever really cosplayed him? I's gonna feel so special.

But yeah, I think in the end if you really like a character you should do it. And if you dont want to be like everyone else...give it some flare. Like I want to cosplay Takeru...but everyone does that kinda thing...so I'm going to make a Raver Takeru costume. Its fun

RX 03
09-25-2002, 06:28 PM
Ah, I like to were cotumes I never really seen I've done people do and that I really wanna do. I don't think anyone has ever done a giant Kuroneko-sama mask.

On to Naruto and Kingdom Hearts! *silence* See noone knows!:razz: :thumbsup:

cutekawaii
09-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by RX 03
On to Naruto and Kingdom Hearts! *silence* See noone knows!:razz: :thumbsup: Gahh everyone and their moms are gonna do KH x-x I plan on doing KH Sephiroth, but that's only because a) I love Sephiroth with all my heart and soul, b) I'm sick of seeing the ff7 version, and c) One wing!!! HOT HOT HOT!!!

As for lesser known/less popular cosplays... I don't feel any different doing a popular one or not :o I've done my share of both...in my least known one, alls I got were people going, "What the hell -are- you??" It was my Eros costume which no one has done, and no one has seen, and no one can figure out what the heck is! :p I also have a Moogle, but I felt just the same in it as in Eros.

I've been almost totally turned off to FFX cosplay. I had a great idea for an FFX skit but decided against it because ALL I SEE IS FFX SKITS!!! But, I DO want to make Wakka one day because Wakka is da MAN! ya? Plus you don't see many Wakkas around.

Celine
09-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Psychotic Jei
Like I want to cosplay Takeru...but everyone does that kinda thing...

I disagree because I never see enough of him. And there is maaaaybe one per con, if you're lucky. ^^ Oh well, no matter what version you do, it'll be great because he's awesome.

officer_fujita
09-27-2002, 11:45 AM
I only cosplay characters that I really like or familiar with. If a friend says "Hey, you'll make a good Genjo Sanzo", then I'll go hunt for some pics, watch episodes of the series the character belongs to, then decide if I'd want to cosplay the character.

So far, I haven't experienced being in an event with another person cosplaying the exact same character that I'm cosplaying as... but even if I did, I wouldn't really mind.

shinta
09-27-2002, 01:01 PM
I go for the not-so-known-but-complex-costume. I love a challenge in making them, altough they can be really costly. At least you can stand out from the crowd and people DO take notice.

Ah yes, the photo shoots...*sigh*

I did experience once when I cosplayed Millie of Trigun. There were two of us. I didn't mind as well. Probably because I had a stungun and she didn't. ^^;

officer_fujita
09-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Yeah Jojie, you rock. =D

Tenjou
10-01-2002, 03:13 PM
Fads will be fads, and if Chobits is the one this year, then I guess it will be. I hope when I go to shoujocon it there will be some diversity.

Shauna
10-01-2002, 06:01 PM
Ah! Melchoir I know exactly how you feel. I thought that Furi Kuri wasn't that popular but apparently it is! I want to go as Haruko sooo bad, but now I've seen so many of them lately! My life is barren... :'(

Chosuke
10-01-2002, 06:26 PM
I personally don't care who goes as who..or what so-called fad there is.
But one thing does bother me,out of twenty or so Yuna's..there are about two who actually even looked like they tried on their costumes,the rest look thrown together and rushed.

I believe that even if a costume is popular,or alot of you..you should still spend that extra time and love on it... cosplaying for recognition in a popular,but bad costume doesnt earn you many points in my books..or other people usually.

tydawgsd
10-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Yeah some friends and me are doing a cosplay of Hack//Sign at AX03, and I am sure there will be a lot of cosplayers for the series there, but we are doing because it is one of our favorite series ever, not because it is the "in" thing.

Chiri
10-04-2002, 06:26 PM
for AXNY 2002 i was Chichiri (Fushigi Yuugi) ^^;;;

http://www.bootyproject.org/images/anime/axny2002/img_1982.jpg

*nervous laugh* >__< I think the guy who took my picture was dressed as Folken from Escaflowne (and I took it from his site too XD hope he doesnt mind ;_;)

Anyhoo, for next year (2003), I plan to go to AXNY once again, as well as the Boston convention and Otakon 2003, as OVA II Tasuki!! (http://genrousama.tripod.com/images/special12.jpg) ^^;; This'll be a helluva lot better than my Chichiri costume (which was my first one o.x;;)

~ Chiri
*whispers* o yeah..hehe, I'm new x_x;

Kikyo
10-05-2002, 03:42 AM
I personally don't care if a costume is "in" or not. And there have been a couple of times that I've seen a costume, and even though I had never seen the series I wanted to make that costume. Like one of the dark Chii's I've seen around. It's a really pretty dress with a black/purple corset (I don't know anything about chobits, so I don't know if I'm describing more than one dress or not) and I would love to wear it! Hell, I could even use it for dances and such, so long as they don't mind that slit all the way up the leg. But after seeing that costume and finding out what it was, I want to see Chobits now. Of course I'm too cheep to buy it (anyone know where I can dowload an episode??) when I don't know if I'll like it or not. Then again, I guess I've done that before....lol

PockyDarcy
10-06-2002, 01:34 PM
I love obscure cosplay because you get the series name out there. Being in a cosplay costume you are like a walking advertisement for the series. ^_^ As an example I timed Pretear for Otakon because I knew it was not a common series and there would be many people at the con. Many people asked me what series I was from. I had to give them a brief summary about the show and tell them to look for it on ebay or wait till ADV releases it to the US. I think it's exciting to spred the word about a great show. I've had many other experences similar to that before. Someone told me that if you play the charcter well, someone will buy the series because of it. I've gotten a few into Nadesico like that because they liked my Yurika impressions & costume. *giggle* Attitude is important too! ^_~

Karisu-sama
10-09-2002, 07:29 PM
The (transient) popularity of a costume shouldn't matter if you love the character and really want to do it - that makes it more likely that you will be inspired to do it really well! I certainly still like to get pics of well-done popular ones, or a group of the same character together.

My daughter wanted to be Kenshin - she got to be Kenshin. So *what* if there are already so many other Kenshins! It's a relatively simple costume, but we tried to make sure we did the research, single-framed the DVDs, and got the details right, even if they are not always obvious.

(White underkimono (Juban) is basically the same dimensions as the overkimono, and an overkimono worn with Hakama is called a Hakama-shita - it's knee length, and has a slit seam up the back to accomodate the hakama. She learned the proper way to tie Hakama straps, even if Kenshin wears a martial arts belt knot, not a formal cross knot. Hakama are normally still worn with an Obi, but the anime does not indicate that Kenshin wears one (maybe because he's poor?) We chose to substitute brown Tabi with regular brown socks, but we may get real Tabi and dye them brown at some point.)

YMMV, but I personally am not in favor of doing characters one doesn't know. If you haven't seen the anime or played the game, there will be no depth, no personality - it's just a shell. For me, at least half the fun of being in costume is putting on the personality.

Obscure characters - I actually like doing that quite a bit. I've done doujin characters it seems almost no one has ever seen. I am also the only Lycidia cosplayer I know of so far (from the webcomic Okashina Okashi - an independently wealthy teen with a dominatrix-type mentality and plans for taking over the world). It's a lot of fun when someone actually DOES recognize the character (and when you run into the character's creators! Wai!! :D )

Custom character costume design: I love it. But there seems to be less of a place for it at Anime cons than at SF cons - at Anime cons, it seems everyone expects your character to "be from something", and actually seem almost disappointed when it's an original concept (weird, IMHO, because that can take a lot more creativity.)

katrinastrife
10-10-2002, 06:33 AM
I personally don't care who goes as who..or what so-called fad there is.
But one thing does bother me,out of twenty or so Yuna's..there are about two who actually even looked like they tried on their costumes,the rest look thrown together and rushed.

Amen, Chobrat. That bothers me (even though, I admit being guilty of this once ^^*).

Kinda OT question -- Do most people cosplay for fun? Or do they cosplay for the costume. Some people I know just like to throw together something so that they look like a character they like... sorta. But, a lot of die-hard cosplayers put loads of work into their costumes, and they cosplay them as a sort of closure to the hours in front of the sewing machine...

What's your call, everyone?

Aoshi Shinomori
10-12-2002, 02:42 AM
well for me I like to cosplay characters that i like. and i also agree that u should cosplay a character that u have seen or known of. I was Hideki and some people recognized Chii but they didnt know who i was.

Karisu-sama
10-12-2002, 03:35 AM
Put that post in my thread! I made a new thread just for that question! :) (And I agree with you, Aoshi!)