PDA

View Full Version : heeeeelppp.. x_X

Inamichan
07-12-2003, 09:49 AM
...I think the universe is playing some sort of cosmic joke on me. Y'see, because I absolutely can't style my own hair to look like Nuriko's (from Fushigi Yuugi), I was in dire need of a wig. So I searched and searched, and found one I could style, for about $25 (it was on sale, I think). Alas, I neglected to notice that it didn't come in the color I need (purple/violet). SO, I found a different one, that DID come in the color, that was more expensive by about $10.

The problem lies here: My mom is paying for this. And she kinda gave me this cold stare when I showed the other option to her, then asked me to look on the 'net for something cheaper. We're talking $35, that's already pretty darn cheap.

But, uh. So I'm faced with the problem of price, timing, and style. I'd definitely love to find something cheaper, as my mom's paying for this out of the goodness of her heart (I currently don't have a job). I know that you get what you pay for and all that stuff, but this is needed for Otakon, and...yeah.. I'm looking for a short/medium length purple wig that I can style to look like Nuriko's hair (when it's short, otherwise I wouldn't freakin' have this problem). It looks like the attachment.

If anyone could help me out on this short notice, I'd love you. ;__;

*Jibrielle*
07-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Umm...you can try e-bay, witchwigs.com or amphigory.com :angel:

carly579
07-12-2003, 01:29 PM
get the cheaper wig that dosen't come in the right color, then color it with a permenant marker. Seriously it works great. I was skeptical at first but recently tried it. I needed an orange wig, but not neon. I got a strawberry blonde wig and colored it with an orange marker and it turned out exactly the color I wanted!^_^

yummyfire
07-16-2003, 12:46 PM
color it with dye.

coeli
07-16-2003, 01:25 PM
I've been told that wigs can be dyed. All I can say is, cheap synthetic wigs do not take Rit dye. Platinum blonde wig + blue dye + much time and swearing (and yes, I have experience with dyeing cloth) yielded one vaguely grayish platinum blonde wig with a light blue foundation net.

You Have Been Warned.

On the other hand, reliable testimony has it that the marker ploy works, and possibly dilute acrylic paint as well. Check earlier posts on this forum for details.

--Coeli

Bobbi
07-17-2003, 10:03 PM
I don't think acrylic paint would work well. I work a lot with acrylics in painting, and they dry like latex, even when diluted. You'll end up with a glumpy, gobby mess... even if you tried to comb the strands apart, you'll be combing acyrlic paint right off. It doesn't stick well to non-porous surfaces, like plastic wig fiber. Infact, I use plastic coffee lids as palletes when painting because it doesn't absorb the paint!

Sarcasm-hime
07-17-2003, 10:13 PM
As an illustrator, I use acrylics a lot too...but I've heard from a source I trust (Tristen Citrine) that it is possible to colour wigs with diluted acrylic; it just takes a lot of time. I've seen wigs she coloured with this method, and they look great.

Koumori
07-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Most synthetic wigs won't take Rit dye, because Rit dye isn't meant to be used on synthetic *fabrics*.. much less plastic fibers, which is what wigs are made of. The diluted acrylic method is popular (you need to comb the color through and keep combing until it's dry so that it dries without clumping), and I hear that it's possible to get good results coloring wigs with a permanent Sharpie marker.

I will BEG you, though, not to cut costs on your wig, because that is one place where quality (or lack of same) really shows, and wigs are one thing where you really do get what you pay for. Especially for anime costumes, where the hair is often such a critical component, it's really worth getting yourself a good quality wig. The wig for my Nuriko costume came from www.amphigory.com and is their "Enchantment" model in the dark purple "Izzy" color. I recommend it highly; it's a very good quality wig, easy to work with and totally restyleable.