PDA

View Full Version : Advice on who would be a good cosplay from a wheelchair

Kalenthiel
09-18-2008, 04:05 AM
Hiya! I am kinda new to the whole cosplay thing, but I need some advice. I am disabled and use a wheelchair to get around, and I was wondering if anyone would possibly have any suggestions on different cosplays that would look good from a wheelchair, or could even use my power wheelchair as a prop. I am female and not overly interested in cosplaying male characters.

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give, because I would love to get into some cosplay action. *grins*

GoPlayer
09-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Hiya! I am kinda new to the whole cosplay thing, but I need some advice. I am disabled and use a wheelchair to get around, and I was wondering if anyone would possibly have any suggestions on different cosplays that would look good from a wheelchair, or could even use my power wheelchair as a prop. I am female and not overly interested in cosplaying male characters.

I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could give, because I would love to get into some cosplay action. *grins*

The first thing that came to mind was Subaru from .hack//sign (her "real world" character's name is Mariko Misono and she's in a wheelchair)

That's all I remember off the top of my head...

EDIT: There's also a manga called Real that's about a wheelchair basketball team, but I think they are all males...

Kalenthiel
09-18-2008, 06:29 AM
*grins* Ah! I remember that now. That one would be interesting. With her I would have the choice of either her purely RL appearance or a cosplay mixing her game appearance with the wheelchair of her RL persona. Choices are good! Thank you!

I'd still love to get any other suggestions. I would love to gather a group of them, to give me a pool of people to possibly cosplay. *grins*

lament
09-18-2008, 08:58 AM
First character I thought of is Nunnally Lamperouge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunnally_Lamperouge) from Code Geass.
She's a very sweet looking girl ^__^ You might need to modify your wheelchair a little though.

Pocketfightr
09-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Castile from the video game Phantom Brave is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. She's sort of a secondary character, so probably not as recognizable without other Phantom Brave characters (and some Putty plushies).

Satsukina
09-18-2008, 11:17 AM
First one that came to mind is Nunally from Code Geass. She has a few outfits to choose from too.

I remember that there was someone else here who said that he wanted to turn his wheelchair into a gundam cockpit. I don't know if you want to try something similar. xD

MsTestament
09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
I think you could play anything you want. There is a genre or Lolita called Gore loli in which you add bandages, splints or other medical props to your costume. A lovely lolita dress with your wheel chair would be nice and it you could find an "old fashion" wheel chair that would be Perfect!

FumikoSan
09-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Mariko Kurama from Elfen Lied ^^

Lovefromwcu
09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I would recommend pretty much anyone from Silent Hill. Since the game has an obnoxious amount of hospital references/environments, any character would fit in a wheelchair. They're fun cosplays, too, since you have an excuse to, in a sense, do a true Halloween-style costume any time of the year. You just have to be willing to get a little dark with your cosplay.

blackcat523
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
You can cosplay whome ever you want to do! Don't let the wheel chair limit your possibilites.
Is it an electric wheel chair? Or a normal one?

Some cool ones I can come up with at the moment:

Speed racer (make the wheelchair the mach 5 and you be speed sitting in the drivers seat)
Any mario kart character (make the wheel chair the car!)

If it's a normal wheel chair, choose a good character and make them injured like they just came from the hospital. If I can think of more I'd let you know.

(last year when I was at Otakon there was a really cool rukia in a wheel chair and she was being pushed around by a Kon)

Koumori
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
It depends on whether you want your chair to be a prop for the costume or not. I think anything with long flowing drapey skirts would look pretty.

MochaValentino
09-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Acro (Phoenix Wright: Justice For All)

Nunnally (Code Geass)

Rufus (Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children)

IAmTheMurderer
09-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I would recommend pretty much anyone from Silent Hill. Since the game has an obnoxious amount of hospital references/environments, any character would fit in a wheelchair. They're fun cosplays, too, since you have an excuse to, in a sense, do a true Halloween-style costume any time of the year. You just have to be willing to get a little dark with your cosplay.

Oh, I agree with this one! :)

SailorKnight
09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Shuko Suzuhara from Angelic Layer (the main character Misaki's mom) is in a wheelchair in the anime. Don't feel like you have to go as a character in a wheelchair, though. Just one that you can wear sitting down (that's actually a lot harder than it sounds).

ninjagal6
09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
i think Hayate Yagami (http://nanoha.com/archive2/chara/cha_131.html) would work pretty well. she's very easy to do ^^

XRei_ChanX
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
You could cosplay Manga Havoc from FMA, But I know you don't want to cosplay a guy.

Kalenthiel
09-19-2008, 01:15 AM
These are all wonderful suggestions. I know I don't necessarily need to be a wheelchair bound character, but some characters, if you put them in a power wheelchair, just look silly. *grins* I am delighted with the response! Thank you!

I think you could play anything you want. There is a genre or Lolita called Gore loli in which you add bandages, splints or other medical props to your costume. A lovely lolita dress with your wheel chair would be nice and it you could find an "old fashion" wheel chair that would be Perfect!

This is a really cool idea! I love it!

I also love the ideas for Castile and Nunally, but I can see the point made for Castile. Nunnally I really love because if I did this outfit (http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/noiren/Copyofcnunnally25im2.jpg), I could dress up my chair something fierce.

*laughs* Only brings up long scary nights with the girlfriends, who would kill me for trying it out. *chuckles*

Mariko is an interesting one, but I am not sure how well I'd play psychotic. *grins*

Shuko Suzuhara from Angelic Layer (the main character Misaki's mom) is in a wheelchair in the anime. Don't feel like you have to go as a character in a wheelchair, though. Just one that you can wear sitting down (that's actually a lot harder than it sounds).

Shuko might be fun, but the appearance is so much that of normal clothing that I am not sure it would come off as cosplay. I love CLAMP though. *grins* On you second point, yeah, that is part of the problem. Like I said before, trying to do some costumes would be just silly, because the costume would either look silly, be awkward in a chair, or a big issue, some characters have skirts too short to be decently worn in a chair without showing everything off. XD

Other than that, only other thing I have to be worried about is costume parts being too long and getting grabbed by the wheels of my chair. With a chair that can go 15 mph, fabric doesn't last long if caught within. Some types of long skirts can be ripped off the body.

Ri-KunTehFluffy
09-27-2008, 09:34 AM
What about Sayu, from Death Note. She eventually gets a wheelchair.

ToroSonyCat
09-27-2008, 09:54 AM
I personally dont think it should affect who you cosplay, but just no one with big back-props (such as gaara from naruto, though you dont really want to do males its just an example)

But i can think of someone in a wheelchair for you, but you may need to do a little research, because i cant for the life of me remember her name.

Shes a girl in elfen lied, and shes in a wheelchair. Sorry i cant remember the name

why_00
09-27-2008, 02:42 PM
You could be Mitsuki from Full Moon
[x] (http://www.galeon.com/vanillagirl1/Cosplay-Mitsuki.jpg)

Or Misuzu from Air (TV)
this version (http://www.tbs.co.jp/anime/air/chara/image/misuzu-b.gif) or This one (http://bp2.blogger.com/_9z4DApMF1_E/Rkc7iH5ZfjI/AAAAAAAAALw/2ByGb7Tbkfc/s1600-h/misuzu+%28sleep%29+on+haruko%27s+back.jpg)

The latter version is the one where she's in a wheel chair, but it could just be mistaken for you going out in your pajamas.

Adonai
09-27-2008, 03:23 PM
My friend is going as a taru taru from FFXI (generic, she's never played the game) and we're ging to kit out her wheelchair to look like a chocobo and add the crappy fake legs over the side. It's gonna look sooo bad lol.

A14jojo
09-27-2008, 09:50 PM
I know you said that you would rather stay away from crossplaying, but I thought I could mention it. You could cosplay as Edward Elric when his is in the hospital. The outfit is pretty simple, the only problem would be the automail.

However if you think you could pull it off, then go with Nunnally,you probably will look very cute,and you seem to love the idea.

Whatever you choose, just have fun!

tastehtoast
09-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Nanaly from Code Geass wears a very cute pink dress in R2, and she's in a wheelchair. Just about the most adorable wheelchair cosplay to do. <3

JustBeMeltdown
09-28-2008, 10:30 PM
simca-air gear

and MANY more I can't think of at the moment that haven't been mentioned
EDIT-6 of them had been said D8

Shua
09-28-2008, 11:02 PM
professor x!

Blackjack Gabbi
10-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Barbara Gordon as Oracle. Although her normal outfit may be too hard to recognise, so you'd have to have some sort of Bat-gear on it.

Although turning it into some manner of street vehicle is a suggestion of win and awesome.

LordDraco3
10-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Shes a girl in elfen lied, and shes in a wheelchair. Sorry i cant remember the name

Mariko (though I think someone mentioned her earlier in the topic). And I can't recall ever hearing of anyone cosplaying as her.
DO IIIIIITTTTT!!! *cough*

Ammy-chan
06-15-2009, 01:51 PM
I totally agree. Awesome suggestions. Although I must say, being a female who uses a wheelchair, don't let that detail eliminate any of your choices. Because really, what are people looking at, the chair or the amazing costume? ^_^

I have been cosplaying Misa Amane my past 2 cons, and find that it adds this interesting edge/conversation piece to my cosplay. I actually had a number of people ask me if I actually used it or if it was a prop. I'd smile and reply that either Light abused me or that I am Misa who survived the suicide attempt. <3

Have fun!

Ink
07-14-2009, 02:03 PM
The easiest one to cosplay would probably be Rufus from Advent Children. (Almost) all that is required is a wheelchair and a white sheet: http://media.photobucket.com/image/rufus+advent+children/vincent214/Advent%20Children/RufusandRude.jpg?o=12

ShadowYin-Yang
07-15-2009, 03:40 AM
The only people popping up are:
Sayu Yagami from Deathnote
and
Faust from Shaman King

Good luck!

Devinette
07-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Don't look at me funny, but I've been thinking and I had to move around in a wheelchair for a while I'd take the chance to do Clara from Heidi or the Share a Smile Becky Friend of Barbie doll (yeah, the famous "wheelchair Barbie" from the nineties). Also Havoc from FMA and Faust from Shaman King, but since you're not interested in male characters that's not very useful.

You said you like CLAMP, I think there must be more characters in their manga that use a wheelchair at some point, but I honestly can't think of any, which is bugging me ^^; but if you have some sewing skill or know someone who does, and like dresses, CLAMP characters have such a huge variety that there must be a number to choose from that are both striking and beautiful, and the right lenght as to avoid getting them tangled in the wheels or being too short for modesty. It would be a matter of browsing mangas and artbooks.

Edit: I just thought of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle's Sakura during Infinity world, when her leg is injured, who doesn't exactly appear in a wheelchair but it fits and the dress is gorgeous if you're into EGL.