PDA

View Full Version : Wig or no wig...?

maikaeirn
07-13-2003, 02:34 AM
So i'm a chic. A chic that happens to like crossplay. I don't know, but most of the guys costumes are just a lot more comfortable!

Anyways, i'm doing a Battle Royale cosplay (Shuya) and i'm pondering whether or not i should buy a wig. My hair is already short (barely touching my shoulders) and the right color...

I'm just wondering if i should bother going that extra mile, or should i just use my regular hair...?

What do you think?

Karisu-sama
07-13-2003, 02:57 AM
It all depends, of course! If your hair already looks right, or with very minor alterations would look right, I don't see that a wig would be necessary.

I wear wigs because my hairstyle length (and often color) is WRONG for the characters I crossplay, and I'm not inclined to change it.

yasafusa
07-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Yup, I agree with Karisu! However if you were like me; you'll need a wig.. I have short hair and I'm doing Rally Vincent!

-yasa

yuriko
07-20-2003, 01:34 AM
I personally just hate wigs, so I'm always going that extra mile to cut/dye my hair (with months of growing it out afterwards). This year I actually have to go from natural black to platinum blond O_O

I think if you don't mind having the hair cut when the convention is over, or it can be cut into something you like after, it's nice to go the extra length. If not, no reason not to go with a wig

Gren
07-20-2003, 07:48 AM
I'm the opposite. I loooove wigs. I'm currently makeing a wig of a style I already pulled off with my natural hair. Love the wigs!

manderina
07-28-2003, 01:34 PM
I usually shy away from wigs, because the first time I cosplayed I couldn't keep my hair from poking out in my wig, so I was walking around with long black hair with short auburn/pink ends sticking out in the back. They're good in some cases, but I still like to style and cut my hair to look like the character's instead of relying on a wig. I personally think it's fun to experiment with your hair for cosplay or whatever the reason, and even if you do something bad to it, you know it will always grow back ^^;

Michela
07-29-2003, 09:38 PM
If your hairstyle, color, and length is fairly appropriate for the character you're cosplaying, there is no need to use a wig... if you feel as if your hair will seriously inhibit the quality of your costume, I would suggest buying a wig, simply for satisfaction. The one time I used my own hair for cosplay, I looked back and wished my hairdresser agreed to dye my hair darker (she refused to dye my blonde hair the shade of brown I wanted, and yet I *still* had to pay her full price...) or I had enough money for a wig. If you think you'll find yourself in a situation like that, use a wig just for self-esteem reasons. If your budget is tight or you truly believe you can pull the costume off with your regular hair, you need not bother with a wig. It depends on what your opinion is more than anything.