PDA

View Full Version : Hairness

Psychotic Jei
07-13-2003, 05:42 AM
Okay....I know alot of people deal with straightening hair. So here's my question...what works the best. Seriously...I want to grow my hair out...and then find something to make it not go all Supah curly any longer. So for all those with thick curly hair...how do you fiiiiix it.

Gren
07-13-2003, 09:01 AM
Well, striaghenting real hair is very different from straightening wig hair. Yess, if memeory serves, there are some crimping irons that have a flat panel for straightening, and you can buy hair relaxers.

Ringo
07-13-2003, 10:42 AM
I have long really curly hair. Here's what I know.
Most people who straighten on a daily basis, use a large barrel brush ( the round ones), and blow dry it while you brush the hair ( while turning the brush). It really not as complicated as it sounds but it takes practicve not to get your hair all tangled. I takes me around an hour and a half to strighten mine this way XD
I haven't use a flat iron yeat but I it goes after the initial strightening with the blow dryer and brush.
There is also something called a ceramic iron that is supposed to work wonders on strightening curly hair, but good ones will run you aroun $100 and if you use them to often it can permenently straighten your hair.
There is also a new chemical/intense moustiure process I'm not sure what it's called but it strightens your hair for a couple months then it's supposed to go back to normal. I have no idea what it's called though.
Then there is a strightening chemical process like a perm that will strighten it out.

I would suggest going to a stlyist who know how to deal with your kind of hair, they can tell you what will woek best and what to stay away from so you don't accidentaly destroy your hair. ^_^

megumibish
07-13-2003, 06:44 PM
well if you go the relaxer method all your hair will be straight except for regrowth. they have regular relaxer found in the hair dye section of most store. they should be by the home perm kits. or you can go to a salon and they can do it for you. and if your hair isn't too curly then you can use a flat paddle brush to blowdry it straight. those frizz gels really work well for keeping the frizz down. it takes me 30 mins for my underarm lenghth hair. my hair is just frizzy wavy and it's best to towel dry wet hair very well to cut down blowdrying time.

Something Lulu
07-13-2003, 08:10 PM
I have waist-length curly/frizzy hair, and I've tried a bunch of methods. I used to blow dry it sometimes, but it was always kind of puffy, and it never worked well, despite whatever serums and lotions I used on it. When I went to the salon they'd do it up in monster-size rollers and sit me under the dryer, and then pull it straight with a blow drier and brush. That cost anywhere from $18-30, depending on where I went.

I finally bought a flatiron a few months ago and it makes my life so much easier. I wash my hair and let it dry completely (usually overnight) then put Smooth n' Shine polishing lotion in it. It takes me about 40 minutes, it comes out bone straight, and it was only $40. I got the brand "Hot Tools" because it came very highly recommended, and it was fairly inexpensive. The ceramic flatirons are amazing, but I think those can cost something like $150. >_< When I got my hair done last year before AX and CC the woman used one on my hair after blow drying it first and I was in awe.

A friend of mine told me about some process that will straighten your hair even as it grows out of your head, but it's an incredibly expensive procedure and I don't like doing anything permanent to my hair, so I didn't ask too much about it. My suggestion would be the flatiron. My arms got way too tired with the blow drier, and it always took me almost 2 hours.

Ringo
07-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Be carefull with relaxers from the store they are made for people with coarse curly hair, and lots are lye based. If you don't have that kind of hair it could really damage it. I guess if you really wanted to try an at home relaxer make sure and it for your hair type.

I figured out the name of that treatment, it's Thermal Reconditioning and costs any where from $200-1000 depending on the Salon. It's supposed to be the "miricle perm" but that's pretty pricey. XD Depends on how bad you want wash and go board straight hair.

Psychotic Jei
07-15-2003, 03:36 AM
Yeh...I came to notice they took the lye products off the shelf. But...I have thick eavyvurly hair... So I dunno.