PDA

View Full Version : It's right before a con...

Ranma Saotome
05-21-2002, 09:58 PM
And $hit just goes wrong? I didn't get my last costume because of a miscommunication error... I just got teasd about my wig for Ranma... Does anyone have these jinxes before a con besides me?

Adella
05-22-2002, 04:04 PM
I did. With my Princess Peach wig. I was so happy that we finished my dress and Admin's mother was helping me style my Peach wig and it WOULD NOT curl and we ended up hacking it to bits and butchering it. LOL! So I had no wig and couldn't wear the costume :( this was a day before ACEN.

What happened to your ranma wig?

Rosiel
05-22-2002, 04:23 PM
> Does anyone have these jinxes before a con besides me?

I always get last minute bad luck.

I remember AX when it was so hot it melted the glue holding my fake nails on. O_O Luckily my own nails were almost long enough and I only had to rush madly looking for white nail polish. ^____^

But then, I never had horrible luck some hairspray/concealer/nailpolish or a gob of hot glue did not fix...

Wait I take it back. The horrible story of the feathers which got lost in the mail and forced me to be wingless Rosiel at Nekocon 2000. I was CRUSHED.

Ranma Saotome
05-22-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Aeris
I did. With my Princess Peach wig. I was so happy that we finished my dress and Admin's mother was helping me style my Peach wig and it WOULD NOT curl and we ended up hacking it to bits and butchering it. LOL! So I had no wig and couldn't wear the costume :( this was a day before ACEN.

What happened to your ranma wig?

I had one Ranma wig before. When I moved, my mother decided to keep it. The second one I have, nothing happened. My roomate's sister and mom jut teased me about it. ^^

So today I go to get my Vivi costume. I'm waiting at the Staten Island Ferry to pick it up. He wasn't there. Now I'm rushing back home to the cleaners to get my costumes. Got them!

I now have less than 2 hours to leave! ^^

Kenshin Ken
05-23-2002, 01:44 AM
aagh I've had alot of problems right before a con... there's always that feelign that " you're missing something"...^^;;

Last year's AX, I bought a pair of Zori for my costume, and I wore that to the ariport and to the con ( costumeand all hehe ^^ yuffie made me do it!! ) however.. in my haste.. I forgot to pack comfertiable shoes... so I ended up wearing zori for the ENTIRE length of AX...^^;;.

kelldar
05-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Ooooooh yeah. I didn't get to go pick up my lulu wig until last night, and I was really, really freaking out. I imagined getting there and finding it looking HORRIBLE, and not having time to re-do it ><; Luckily it turned out great, and I'm packed now... still trying to go over in my mind that I got everything...... *had gone over the checklist 3 times*

Rosiel
05-23-2002, 04:22 PM
> there's always that feelign that " you're missing something"...^^;;

So you maniacally double check your costume... and you have every single little detail down to the matching socks, but when you get to the con you realize...

You forgot your toothbrush.
I /always/ have a mad drugstore dash before /every/ con. >_<

Ayaka
05-23-2002, 07:36 PM
OMG!!! Rosiel, we must be soul twins or something. Guess what the ONE AND ONLY thing I forgot to take to Anime Central was? My toothbrush. OO Sadly there were no drugstores nearby . . . but I hardly ate anything that weekend, and Kasugai gummies make decent breath mints in a pinch (I tried not to get too close to people just in case).

Rosiel
05-23-2002, 10:39 PM
> Guess what the ONE AND ONLY thing I forgot to take to Anime Central was? My toothbrush.

NO! I thought I was the only one who did the toothbrush thing!

LOL

> Kasugai gummies make decent breath mints in a pinch

Well I have found you can do some decent brushing with toilet paper wrapped around your index finger and someone else's toothpaste if you're really desperate.

LOL

Look how this conversation has degenerated... ^____^

Ayaka
05-24-2002, 12:27 AM
> NO! I thought I was the only one who did the toothbrush thing!

I'm not sure if we should be relieved, or very afraid. lol ^^

> Look how this conversation has degenerated... ^____^

It's all right, it's the inevitable fate of all threads on any board, provided the proper amount of time (and boredom/insanity on the part of posters).

On the original topic, I have some wig orders I'm cutting it tight with. I hope I don't wind up being one of those people who are wigless at a con. And Ranma, hope you're having (had, when you see this) a great time! And happy b-day!

Michi
05-25-2002, 04:22 AM
I've started making checklists of all my costume pieces before I pack. ^^ It seems to work pretty well... but...

At AX 2001 I was Asuka in her school uniform from Eva.. I ordered the hairclips off of eBay and they arrived the DAY before I left. I was ecsatic -- but you know what? I didn't bring them to the con itself. -_- They fell out of my bag on the way out the door; I found them on my floor when I got home.

Rosiel
05-25-2002, 11:21 AM
> I've started making checklists of all my costume pieces before I pack

I do this all the time. Otherwise, I always forget things. Especally when each costume has different ear-rings or contacts or little things like that.
Now if I just added "toothbrush" to the end of the list... >__>

Kenshin Ken
05-25-2002, 06:22 PM
gyah ^^;; methinks that we'll be in need of a mother that'll annoy the @)_#@* outta us for everything we think we know that we'd have to pack... << did that make anysense? lol*

Medellia
05-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Not to plug or anything, but I've worked out a checklist of every possible thing I could think of that one may need at a convention, and it's on my website: http://students.washington.edu/medikiti/
Go to the green menu on the left and it's the "Convention Checklist." Here's a direct link, but you'll be outside of the frames (hasn't yet gotten around to fixing that problem >_<) http://students.washington.edu/medikiti/checklist.html

Oh, and let me know if you can think of anything to add!

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 01:06 PM
I'll check it out in a bit... If it really good, may I mirror the checklist on my sites?

Medellia
05-28-2002, 03:40 PM
Certainly. Just make sure to include where you got it from, so people can contact me with more suggestions ^_^

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Not a problem. ^^

Rosiel
05-28-2002, 04:24 PM
Actually I Have a new one for this thread...

It's right before a con and... as you start planning things you need to pack since you are leaving bright and early tomorrow, you realize you didn't even THINK of how to pack a 4 foot long wooden sword that needs to fly with you to a con in Dallas...

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 04:38 PM
My friend Jesse, forgot his Chiriko wig... I felt so bad for him.

Medellia
05-28-2002, 05:03 PM
I hear ya, Rosiel. I'm planning to go to winter Comiket in Tokyo this year, and so I'm trying to figure out what costumes I can make/take that won't get crushed in my carry on >_< I don't particularly want to check the costume luggage in and find it on it's way to Tahiti -_- And sending is so expensive! *grumbles* How did you manage to that the sword, btw?

Rosiel
05-28-2002, 05:51 PM
> How did you manage to that the sword, btw?

I'm staring at it right now, really really desperate for an idea. ^___^

Ginny
05-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Oooh I've got a story. Otakon 2001 (which was a horrible con for me all together, but that was a bunch of crap) we went Thursday, and we got there and all checked in and my boyfriend is like

him - "Where's my costume?"
me - "Stop joking around."
him - "No really, where's my costume?"

So we have to drive all the way home. 2 hours. ok fine. We get on the road, I-95 is closed for 2 hours. It takes us 4 hours to get home. Get the costume. Drive back again.

And that was the beginning of the worst con I ever had >.<

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by G-chan
Oooh I've got a story. Otakon 2001 (which was a horrible con for me all together, but that was a bunch of crap)

Funny... I said the same thing about this years Animazement... :rolleyes: :hafha:

Nadeshiko
05-28-2002, 08:33 PM
My order for my Princess Mars dress never came. I was supposed to wear it for AX, but there was a postal strike in my area. ^^; It kinda sucked b/c I was going to wear it for the masquerade.

Oh, and before ACen, I lost my camera. So I had to settle with the disposable ones I had to buy at the airport.

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Nadeshiko
My order for my Princess Mars dress never came. I was supposed to wear it for AX, but there was a postal strike in my area. ^^; It kinda sucked b/c I was going to wear it for the masquerade.

Oh, and before ACen, I lost my camera. So I had to settle with the disposable ones I had to buy at the airport.

*hugs*

Jibrille
05-28-2002, 08:50 PM
how about 'its right before a con and you dont have your costume done so you finish it in the hotel room' ... thats what happened to my friend at this past Katsucon. >.< it was amusing....in a sucky kind of way.
that con had issues... *shakes head*

and yes i admit... i've forgotten my toothbrush too.... ^^;

Ranma Saotome
05-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Toothbrush? That makes 2 of us. ^^

shiroi_yukiko
05-28-2002, 09:26 PM
how about 'its right before a con and you dont have your costume done so you finish it in the hotel room'

That's what tape is for! Ha ha! I recall all too well using black electrical tape to fix my group's Angel Sanctuary costumes the morning of a con...

Medellia
05-28-2002, 09:50 PM
*lol* Yea, I finished my neko Ruri costume while staffing a video room friday night ^_^; Then last Sakura con, I realized I'd bought thigh high nylons, not the full length nylons >_<;;

Jibrille
05-28-2002, 09:56 PM
i am still suprised he got it done too! he made his jug, finished his sword, and finished his belt (he was Auron)... his ability to suprise me is astonishing. i hope it doesnt happen again though... it was such a mess >.<;;
Out ability as a group to fit 6ft weapons into cars at the last minute never ceases to suprise me either ... O.o

Tenshi
05-29-2002, 12:00 AM
Ooh, cameras. . .I was so mad last year at Anime Expo. I had all my gazillion rolls of film ready, and. . .my battery died. The camera was BRAND NEW >.<. Naturally, it took a specialty battery you can only get at Radio Shack and such, so I was screwed for the rest of the con ;_;.

As for finishing your costume in the hotel room -- my first leotard for Celes was ruined, so I had to search all over Long Beach to find another ~~;;. Cost me an arm and a leg too, hmph.

Tenshisama
05-29-2002, 12:32 AM
It's right before a con... you've got a few hours left to pack before leaving for the airport... and you realize... proper shoes to go with your costume were the last thing on your mind >.<
i've never looked through closets in my house for shoes faster than that

and at AX last year... my brand new camera also decided to break down leaving me with virtually no pics from last year -_- so embarrasing. "can I take your picture? oh... wait... my camera has broken" -_-;;;;

Ranma Saotome
05-29-2002, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Tenshisama
and at AX last year... my brand new camera also decided to break down leaving me with virtually no pics from last year -_- so embarrasing. "can I take your picture? oh... wait... my camera has broken" -_-;;;;

That happened to me at BAAF. I had to run out and buy 2 disposeables! :hafha:

Ayaka
05-29-2002, 12:05 PM
(I'm not really here, if anyone asks. Snuck away from work - stuck in PA cleaning out my great aunt's.)

Rosiel - how about putting the sword in a mailing tube, and checking it? One of those sturdy ones from Mailboxes Etc or Office Depot/Max. Augh, here come my folks . . . *runs away*

Nadeshiko
05-30-2002, 02:06 AM
Toothbrush! XD

I forgot that at last year's ACen! x_x I also forgot that my dad was rooming in the other hotel and I could have asked him to go to a corner store to buy me one, too. Toothbrushes are the jinxes when it comes to packing. Not only it happened at ACen, but camping trips as well...

Medellia
06-02-2002, 01:16 PM
I usually bring two toothbrushes ^_^;; That and tons of extra hair pins, clothing and saftey pins, etc. As you can imagine my luggage is always huge, but it's come in handy to have extras. So if you ever need a toothbrush, come fine me ^_~

Asuka Langley
06-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Whoooa!
Well, since here in Brazil we have just a few Cons, I usually wear all the costume the day before, just to make sure nothing is missing! =D
Oh, and also use my toothbrush the day before - just in case =P

*Asuka

Hikaruchan
06-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Lets see, for the following cons I forgot the following:

AWA3 - camera
AZ 2001 - spare camera battery
AWA7 - couple small pieces for Access Time
AZ 2002 - lost comb somewhere, had to go buy another

Luna
06-20-2002, 09:25 PM
Yup, crap happens at the time you less expect it - but I DO expect things, because I have the nightmares about crap happening - and the funniest thing - it comes true. Had a nightmare that they shipped me the wrong wig from the online store - they did...I am sitting here and sweating, got my tracking number for the package, everything - but scared to death that something might be wrong again! Just my luck.
Question for all: are you all will be competing in the Masqueraude or just doing easy stuff like Hall Cosplay, Fashion Show and Mini Masqueraude? All of you are so serious about everything that has to be perfect... Just wondering...
:-)

Ranma Saotome
06-20-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
Lets see, for the following cons I forgot the following:

AWA3 - camera
AZ 2001 - spare camera battery
AWA7 - couple small pieces for Access Time
AZ 2002 - lost comb somewhere, had to go buy another

You were at AZ 2002?! Who did you cosplay?!

Rosiel
06-21-2002, 10:22 AM
Someone else has cosplay dreams? Last night, I dreamt I was at AX dressed as Ramirez and got stuck in the elevator so I could not make it to the cosplay.

LOL

Hikaruchan
06-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Ranma,

I met you at AZ this year, when I was looking for my group. I was dressed as the following:

Friday - Kagome, Aya, blue rosebride Kozue
Saturday - Liana, Jun, Lady Oscar
Sunday - Hikaru

I put my costumes in member gallery on 3rd page, titled Melissa costume & stuff. I also will be uploading more of my AZ pics later today in my AZ preview gallery next to it.

mandichan
06-21-2002, 11:48 AM
The day OF Katsucon 2001 I was at school, and my friend was supposed to pick me and my friend up and drive there. I'm in gym class, and the teacher tells me I have a message in the office... It is my friend who was supposed to drive, he hadn't asked his parents for permission until that day, and now he couldn't drive and we had to take a train, which left in like 30 mins (its about a 15 minute drive to the train station @_@)

I got out of class early and my friend who was coming said she still hadn't packed, and we had to go to her house..

Sadly, we had to leave her behind T_T (She got up on the next train ok though ^_^)

Anyway, we barely made it in time for the train, and it ended up costing $80 *each way* ;_; It was terrible!!

Also.. for Shoujocon, right after I was going to this summer school thing, which started on the last day of shoujocon, and there was no time to re-pack inbetween.. and of course I had forgotten to pack my toothbrush in my shoujocon luggage T_T AND they were out of toothbrushes in the hotel store. I had to use a towel with toothpaste on it ^///^ I felt so gross, lol! ^_^

But pretty much every con someone realises they can't drive us, they can't come, we don't have a hotel, ect ect... We have the worst luck, there is always a lot of "pre-con drama" T_T

---Mandichan

Luna
06-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
Someone else has cosplay dreams? Last night, I dreamt I was at AX dressed as Ramirez and got stuck in the elevator so I could not make it to the cosplay.

LOL

Eckkkkkkk...those are nightmares...I had one last night were I was wearing my not finished Human Luna costume, my wig was burned on top, then half of it was white the other half was black....it was terrible...I even remember looking at myself in the mirror and fainting.... woke up sweating....lol...

Ayaka
06-21-2002, 02:16 PM
I have cosplay dreams too! Hah I thought I was super-weird. But so far none of them have been nightmares . . . *ponders* Well the last one, I had a dream I was cosplaying Kagome from Inuyasha, which is weird, cause she's NEVER crossed my mind as a cosplay . . . but I bet when I get a little closer to AX I'm gonna start having nightmares about forgetting things. o_o;;;

Other people have had such nasty stuff happen to them, I feel like I can't complain about any of my little pre-con dramas . . .

Ranma Saotome
06-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Ranma,

I met you at AZ this year, when I was looking for my group. I was dressed as the following:

Friday - Kagome, Aya, blue rosebride Kozue
Saturday - Liana, Jun, Lady Oscar
Sunday - Hikaru

I put my costumes in member gallery on 3rd page, titled Melissa costume & stuff. I also will be uploading more of my AZ pics later today in my AZ preview gallery next to it.

You did? I need memory enhancers... I know I saw a Kagome... *loads AZ 2k2 pictures* Blue rosebride sounds familiar...

I did take a group photo. There was a Kagome, Faye Valentine, and a Pai. Were you in that?

I took a picture of a blue rosebride doing the sword pull technique... is that you?

I know it's afternoon, but I goto sleep now... ^.^ Hey Hikaruchan, IM me k? ^^

Hikaruchan
06-21-2002, 04:25 PM
I was the only blue rosebride saw this year, you did the swordpull with me for a pic.

Don't have IM currently

HuongStar
06-21-2002, 04:39 PM
I think I've had a problem at every con I've cosplayed at:

AWA 7 - forgot to pack proper bra for Faye so you could see my bra whenever I so much as moved ~_~

Katsucon - told my boyfriend to pick me up a size small long sleeve shirt for Haruko; turns out that he bought a Misses' size S and it was too big! @_@

A-kon - forgot to bring my pink socks for Chii and also forgot the battery charger. We had no pictures for almost all Saturday but Al helped us out and recharged out battery in time for Masquerade!

I'm hoping this year's Otakon goes smoothly. *_*

Ranma Saotome
06-21-2002, 06:13 PM
I was the only blue rosebride saw this year, you did the swordpull with me for a pic.

Don't have IM currently

Oh, hi!!! :) BTW, you're very cute. :cool:

Hikaruchan
06-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Ah, you made me blush. Thanks for the compliment.

Ranma Saotome
06-22-2002, 05:02 AM
Ah, you made me blush. Thanks for the compliment.

Then my job is done. ;) Too bad I didn't get a facial shot of you. ;)

ThePirateKing
06-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Awh cosplay love :D cute.