PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about attending?

KwEeNofKoRn
10-01-2008, 12:31 AM
My group and I are thinking about attending this con.

What makes CC fun and a great con? What are the most fun activities? How is the experience? Is it a con you would highly recommend?

Sarcasm-hime
10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm a bit biased, but IMO if you're nuts about making costumes it's the BEST CON EVAR.

It's all costumes, all the time. Some features:

- multiple masquerades (regular sci-fi/fantasy/everything else masquerade, historical masquerade, single pattern competition, fashion design runway show and competition)
- awesome themed parties every night
- almost everyone is in fantastic costumes 24/7
- tons of really interesting panels and workshops (this past year included lacemaking, hatmaking, electronics for costumes, leatherworking, movable wings, Chinese Opera costumes, sari-wearing, Elizabethan costume, and lots more).

There's also various tours before and after the con (usually Thursday and/or Monday/Tuesday), to local attractions and fabric stores.

CC is seriously my favourite convention. Everybody is so fun and friendly and very welcoming to new faces. It's fairly small, so there's a real community feel, and it's fairly low-key and relaxing despite everybody rushing to get their costumes done for the various masquerades. XD

trixyloupwolf
10-01-2008, 04:27 PM
^^;; i would go if i knew how to go there ^^;;

and had some friend with me ^^^;;

i love costume
you guy are sooo lucky ^^

KwEeNofKoRn
10-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm a bit biased, but IMO if you're nuts about making costumes it's the BEST CON EVAR.

It's all costumes, all the time. Some features:

- multiple masquerades (regular sci-fi/fantasy/everything else masquerade, historical masquerade, single pattern competition, fashion design runway show and competition)
- awesome themed parties every night
- almost everyone is in fantastic costumes 24/7
- tons of really interesting panels and workshops (this past year included lacemaking, hatmaking, electronics for costumes, leatherworking, movable wings, Chinese Opera costumes, sari-wearing, Elizabethan costume, and lots more).

There's also various tours before and after the con (usually Thursday and/or Monday/Tuesday), to local attractions and fabric stores.

CC is seriously my favourite convention. Everybody is so fun and friendly and very welcoming to new faces. It's fairly small, so there's a real community feel, and it's fairly low-key and relaxing despite everybody rushing to get their costumes done for the various masquerades. XD

Thank you very much! That definitely will help us decide! And can you wear any costume at this con? Or is it specific styles?

CapsuleCorp
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Anything you want. It doesn't matter if most people there don't know who you're dressed as, they're all about the costume. We wore obscure Suikoden IV costumes there two years ago and got fawned on because I made armor and swords and the others had all this detail on their costumes.

It is a much more mature crowd than any anime con you've ever been to, though, so be prepared. No squeeing fangirls running through the hallways trying to get boys to kiss so they can go "oo yaoi!" (and may I say, thank god for that)

KwEeNofKoRn
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok thanks!

And a more mature atmosphere with no loud annoying fangirl brats?! Oh man we may just attend now! xD

kairislife
10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
im going!!!

but not to glout but i get in free tho.... it going to be my first year there!

sry 4 miss spelled wrds typing on the wii

RaDragon76
10-21-2008, 01:27 AM
The thing I enjoy about this con is that everyone is really interested in costuming and it doesn't matter what type of costume your wearing. The other plus for me is the fact that the crowd is much more mature than the crowds at anime conventions and the panels are great too. Hope you decide to come. :)

KwEeNofKoRn
10-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Well its looking to be like a really great con! If we all are able to, we are definitely going!

MithLuin
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
It's very local for me, so I am looking forward to going :) I'm a little nervous to take an amateur-looking costume there, since.....well, yeah. But I like that it's open to all fandoms.

Sarcasm-hime
10-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I want to emphasize to people that you don't have to be afraid of going to Costume-Con even if you don't have the most super sparkly Awesome Costume to End All Costumes. XD It's a really inspiring, fun con even if you're just wearing comfy hall costumes and learning stuff, hanging out and going to parties.

Don't feel pressure! I didn't compete at my first CC, and I still had a fantastic time.

CapsuleCorp
10-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Same here. I thought it would be intimidating, but it was nothing but laid-back and friendly. Everybody was so cool! And I actually took notes at panels. NOTES. I learned stuff!

Looking back, I feel rather silly for being even the slightest bit intimidated about competing. I'm totally competing in 09, and I may do more than one competition in 10 since it's in my backyard! But even if you don't compete and just want to stare at all the pretty costumes, you're in good company. We're all going to appreciate costumes, learn about costumes, and show off costumes, whether we're novices or masters.

RaDragon76
10-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Don't worry about it at all. I was scared to death when I attended my first Costume Con but quickly found out there was nothing to worry about at all. The people are friendly, very interested in costumes and are, in general, very accepting of anyone in any type of costume. You'll learn tons at the panels and have a great time I'm sure. You don't have to compete or anything just enjoy the costumes around you and ask questions if you've a mind too. The people won't bite and they'll be happy to answer your questions.

LadyoftheThread
10-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Hope itís okay if I add some questions here. :-) Iím excited that Costume Con is finally close enough for me to attend next year but since Iíve never been to one before, I was wondering about how some things work.

One of the things I'm curious about is how scheduling is for the con. When do events usually start happening on the first day and end on the last day? Iím trying to decide if I should arrive a day in advance and/or stay until Monday.

Also, Iíve looked over the masquerade rules and was wondering about the divisions. I think I remember once reading in a thread somewhere on cosplay.com that contests at anime cons are considered regional. And that divisions there are independent of divisions at Costume Con and World Con masquerades, which are considered international, so you can start again at novice. Is that correct?

Iíve won a lot of craftsmanship awards (mostly from hall contests for craftsmanship only rather than masquerades) and compete at Masters/Craftsman level at anime cons. But having seen some photos from this yearís Costume Con, I highly doubt Iím ready for that level at Costume Con, especially if I wanted to try the Historical Masquerade. ^_^; Thereís still a lot of things I havenít tried yet (for example, I still havenít attempted a corset or hoopskirt although Iím planning a costume with those for next year).

CapsuleCorp
10-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh man! It'll be great to see you in Baltimore, LadyoftheThread!

I've only been to one so I can only speak to that one...programming started mid-late afternoon Friday and there was not a ton of programming on Monday, but there were field trips to local costume/sewing related tours on Monday. But considering that Sat and Sun are FULL DAYS, it's always worth it to try to make it for the whole thing. And then there's the Friday Night Social. :D

As far as skill divisions? Email the director. Easiest way to clear it up, just in case each director has a slightly different take on how to weight your awards. They'll probably be happy to encourage you to compete up a level since that's always legal to do, but I was in the same boat as you last time I asked - I didn't WANT to be in Master yet, I was just verifying that I was Journeyman. ;) I know I can compete in Master if I really wanted to, but I don't want to! Not yet!

RaDragon76
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Another thing to point out scheduling wise is the fact that there is normally a break in the early evening (about 5ish or so) so that everyone can get dinner or has time to get ready for the masquerades. So don't be surprised if there are no panels scheduled for around dinner time.

As for skill division, I would second talking to the director just to be 100% sure. If your not ready and your awards are not sufficent to do so then you don't want to be stuck there.

@CapsuleCorp: And some of us don't want you to compete as a master at CC. Some of us have only just gotten to Journeyman level this year after all. :) We'd like to stay there for a little while before moving up again.

trixyloupwolf
10-29-2008, 09:00 PM
nia can't wait ^^

any know wen the futur costume thingy will be post ?????

my first time ^^;; so hope we have enopught time to build something ^^

friendly
trixy

Sarcasm-hime
10-29-2008, 10:38 PM
The Future Fashion Folio is mailed out to all registered members of the convention; don't know if it's also going online. That reminds me, I need to register!

As for the other questions, this year there were panels on Monday although it was a sort of slow-down relax half-day, and the Thursday tours were great. I would definitely encourage arriving a day earlier and/or staying for Monday to get the full experience. :)

Yes, the International divisions are different. At my first International event (Worldcon 2003), while I could technically enter as Novice, based on my skills and experience I was advised by the Masquerade Director to enter in Journeyman. So I think you'd probably be Journeyman as well, LotT. I'm not sure whether I'll have to move up to Master this year, will have to ask. (Yikes!)

LadyoftheThread
11-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone. :) Staying until Monday seems like a good idea. Does a schedule usually get posted online prior to the con?

Journeyman sounds about right but Iíll definitely e-mail the masquerade director when I have time to see what their opinion is. HmmÖ I only see an e-mail listed on the site for the Historical Masquerade Director though. Does that mean there isnít a director for the Sci-Fi & Fantasy masquerade yet? I was hoping to investigate both and then choose one to enter since I have several costume ideas and havenít made a final decision about what Iím making for competition at this con.

And, CapsuleCorp, I remember when we used to post in the YGO thread regularly so it would be cool to finally have a chance to meet you! :D

Gravely
11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
C Sue Schambaugh is the SF/F masq director.
she is very active on cosplay.com I believe.
she has also been MD for Anime USA

if her links on the CC 27 wesite aren't good, the over all events director is Marty Gear, and he would be glad to help you.

martingear@comcast.net

LadyoftheThread
11-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Ah. Thanks for the information, Gravely. :-) I was asking because I looked at http://www.costume-con.com/cc27/f_&_sf_masq.htm but didn't see a name or e-mail mentioned for the masquerade director on that page.

kairislife
11-05-2008, 10:35 PM
i cant wait to go.. first time i've ever heard of it and going to it

SixPence668
11-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, I just booked my flight and hotel so I'm definitely going!! Now to sew some costumes...lol. :D

Kaijugal
11-15-2008, 05:06 PM
It's great to see that so many cosplay.com folks will be attending. I'm pleased to hear that so many of you are attending again. *high fives* I can't wait to see you all there. :)
I can hardly wait. :)

Cheers!

RaDragon76
11-16-2008, 11:15 PM
It'll be nice to see you and Sarcasm again as well as the cosplay.com folks who have perhaps never been to a CC before. Looks like this is shaping up to be a good convention. :)

trixyloupwolf
11-17-2008, 07:06 AM
It's great to see that so many cosplay.com folks will be attending. I'm pleased to hear that so many of you are attending again. *high fives* I can't wait to see you all there.
I can hardly wait.

Cheers!

yeah!!!

Lyn
11-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm totally going to try to go considering how close it will be to me this year. I'm not sure yet what I'll wear there but my friends who want to go too have thrown a few ideas at me. ^_^ One of my coworkers from a theater job I just finished may be going too and wants to try to drag our boss along XP

KatieAriel
02-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I hope I can go!!!
gotta start saving....
its in may, right?

CapsuleCorp
02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
It's also much more expensive if you wait until May to register.

Kaijugal
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm already super excited about going this year!
I hope some of you new to Costume Con peeps come up and say "hi" to us in the hall if you recognize us! :) Cosplay peeps = The More / The Merrier ! :toothy:

trixyloupwolf
02-04-2009, 08:41 PM
i sure will do comme and say hi ^^
hehe

i will stalk you and maral mou wahhahahaha

hug!
can't wait to put my newer costume on ^^
almost done the singkle pattern
bouth my futur fabric
yeah

i miss all of my futur friend i be meeting there and i even don't know them
^^;;

yeah
new friend^^
and my best friend too ^^

Buddycat
02-23-2009, 06:04 PM
There should be a fairly large contingent of SLUTS who will be there. The only new con virgin may be one of our members' mother. If she winds up going, she'll be in for an interesting sub-cultural experience!

alpha_helix
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I want to go soooo badly but it's a week before my organic chem final. Talk about unfortunate scheduling. Then again, I will be done with all my other classes.

No, bad alpha helix! Studying for orgo is important. Passing orgo is important. Dumb orgo final!

CapsuleCorp
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey, I gotta get with the SLUTS about carpooling. I'm barely able to afford to go as it is, I need some corners cut.

Buddycat
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, you do. We sure weren't whether you were still going to be able to make it or not. I'm assuming you'd be hooking up with RaDragon & Kenemetset?

RaDragon76
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Unfortunantly, Khene and I will be unable to attend CC27 due to various issues so I suppose the answer to your question would be 'No' although she's still coming down here as far as I know.