PDA

View Full Version : Megacon's Costume Contest

makeshiftwings
10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Okay so... if I gather the nerves, I'm gonna participate in Megacon's costume contest. I'd like to know a little bit about it though, since I never went to their costume contest - what's it like? I'd imagine it's absolutely gigantic.

I don't know who I'm going to submit, which leads me to my next question. Pit I will have revamped the wings to be bigger and better by then, so I will be completely confident with my costume. Plus, he's easily recognizable. I hope Lion Sora will turn out good. I think the craftsmanship of this costume will be more impressive - I'll have used Wonderflex, Paperclay, beading, painting, and of course just sewing by the end of it. However, it's an intrepretation of Lion Sora, not a fursuit and not quite a gijinka... How do judges receive original designs?

Thanks all :D

Yorukanji
10-03-2008, 11:35 AM
i have never participated in it either XD. but from what i saw in March...it is huge. the line was so long, it practically stretched across the entire third floor 0.o

from what i could tell, the judges seemed to be going for the more original outfits. i guess it all depends which costume you would feel better showing off ^.^ aaaaannnnndddd...GOOD LUCK :3

makeshiftwings
10-03-2008, 12:58 PM
i have never participated in it either XD. but from what i saw in March...it is huge. the line was so long, it practically stretched across the entire third floor 0.o

from what i could tell, the judges seemed to be going for the more original outfits. i guess it all depends which costume you would feel better showing off ^.^ aaaaannnnndddd...GOOD LUCK :3

XD Thanks.

JFBount
10-03-2008, 03:50 PM
are musical performances allowed (i.e. Saxophone) =p ?

makeshiftwings
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM

XD You wanna do that for the costume contest? Or the cosplay contest?

Yorukanji
10-03-2008, 07:43 PM

*gasp* nah way O.O is that you???? your the guy who found me on facebook right??? lol i looked on your profile and saw the picture of the duck duck goose game :bigtu:.

in reply to question...i really don't know. musical talent can't hurt your chances :toothy:

JFBount
10-04-2008, 08:55 AM
hahaha yeah that was a while back now wasnt it ... that duck duck goose game was still proabably the highlight of Megacon 08 for me but 09 its all about Saxophone Godot

Hime no Toki
10-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Megacon is the largest costume contest in Florida, usually around 120 entries or so, and is craftsmanship only, meaning, no skits/performances. I haven't entered for a few years now, but hopefully will be entering again this year as long as my costumes get done for it in time. It's really up to the judge's discretion in terms of originality, but the only costumes that can win awards are from Japanese origination, as in, characters from games and series (anime, manga, historical, music) that originated in Japan. This is the entry criteria for Mega.

makeshiftwings
10-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Megacon is the largest costume contest in Florida, usually around 120 entries or so, and is craftsmanship only, meaning, no skits/performances. I haven't entered for a few years now, but hopefully will be entering again this year as long as my costumes get done for it in time. It's really up to the judge's discretion in terms of originality, but the only costumes that can win awards are from Japanese origination, as in, characters from games and series (anime, manga, historical, music) that originated in Japan. This is the entry criteria for Mega.

Hmm okay X3 Guess I'm safe either way then.

Who are you planning on entering?

Hime no Toki
10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Count Waltz and Jazz from Eternal Sonata, my boyfriend and I will start working on the costumes soon. I have a lot ahead of me, mostly stress, lol.

makeshiftwings
10-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Oooh fun XD

Well good luck!

Foos
10-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Actually, skits are allowed. The sound quality and stage space just isn't very good for it, and there aren't any awards (though you can qualify for fan favorite). Usually the info goes up right after the first of the year so you can pre-register as well as have time contraints and skit-related questions answered. I wouldn't recommend trying to perform, as that thing is better suited to traditional cosplay contests with proper sound, space and judging. But it's up to you!

I would highly recommend pre-judging, as it will shorten the time spent in line as well as get you judged early enough in the day so you can still change out of your costume and goof off if you want.

makeshiftwings
10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Another question:

Can you be barefoot for the contest? I know you can't in the actual con, but the contest... idk.

Foos
10-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Another question:

Can you be barefoot for the contest? I know you can't in the actual con, but the contest... idk.

If you had sandals on that you slipped off right before the stagewalk, I don't see why they'd care XD

makeshiftwings
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
If you had sandals on that you slipped off right before the stagewalk, I don't see why they'd care XD

XD Alright.

nessabutterfly
10-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Another question:

Actually, AFO had a rule this year that you had to have shoes on at all times, even on stage, so there's no way to be sure Megacon won't crack down on the same rule. Apparently you can get stick on sandals though that don't show. For my barefoot costume I just bought really tiny fleshy-gold flip flops-- you couldn't really see them in pictures.

Adiana
10-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I plan on entering the cosplay contest too. This will be my first time ever going to Megacon and I'm looking forward to it all. I've seen pictures of the contest but I didn't know there were about 120 people attending it. X.x; I feel so nervous now. Lol

After seeing the questions and answers I think I can narrow down what I want to wear then. :D Yay! Hope to see everyone there!!

makeshiftwings
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Actually, AFO had a rule this year that you had to have shoes on at all times, even on stage, so there's no way to be sure Megacon won't crack down on the same rule. Apparently you can get stick on sandals though that don't show. For my barefoot costume I just bought really tiny fleshy-gold flip flops-- you couldn't really see them in pictures.

Yeah I'm buying those stick on sandals for my costume.

I just wanted to make a good entrance by running on stage, but I'm clumsy and don't want to fall on my face ;-; I think I'd have a lesser chance of doing that if I was barefoot XD

Foos
10-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Makeshift: Spookloops uses those stickyfeet for her King of All Cosmos costume and she seems to have no trouble manuevering on them. Definitely go that route, those things are awesome!

makeshiftwings
10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Makeshift: Spookloops uses those stickyfeet for her King of All Cosmos costume and she seems to have no trouble manuevering on them. Definitely go that route, those things are awesome!

Great, thanks so much! :D

BayushiKachiko
10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
In terms of the actual contest...

Be prepared to wait.

...and wait.

...and then wait somemore.

While most of the participants at Mega 07-08 were stellar and very cool, the judging and execution of the contest (in my opinion) were not. Music was lost, certain staff members were beyond rude, and all in all it felt like the judges were only half interested. I'm sure that with so many entries it can be daunting, but still.

Best advice I got from it, however, was from Foos---be prepared to pimp your own costume. Hardcore. Don't just wait for the judges to ask you about stuff on it, tell them. If you spent a lot of time on something, definitely brag about it. Tell them what you learned, if you had to use new techniques, etc and so on.

Other than that, good luck! Despite Florida being dramu central, there are some really talented people here, and you can learn a lot just standing in line (see: waiting).

makeshiftwings
10-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Awesome :D

When's prejudging usually?

negativedreamer
10-28-2008, 08:54 AM
In terms of the actual contest...

Be prepared to wait.

...and wait.

...and then wait somemore.

While most of the participants at Mega 07-08 were stellar and very cool, the judging and execution of the contest (in my opinion) were not. Music was lost, certain staff members were beyond rude, and all in all it felt like the judges were only half interested. I'm sure that with so many entries it can be daunting, but still.

Best advice I got from it, however, was from Foos---be prepared to pimp your own costume. Hardcore. Don't just wait for the judges to ask you about stuff on it, tell them. If you spent a lot of time on something, definitely brag about it. Tell them what you learned, if you had to use new techniques, etc and so on.

Other than that, good luck! Despite Florida being dramu central, there are some really talented people here, and you can learn a lot just standing in line (see: waiting).

i find most judges are not interested until you make them intested in your costume. that has been my experience not just at megacon, but at all cons. What helps is to have a paper with the very important points the you must get to during your 2-3 minutes. other less important details have printed along with your progress and reference pictures that they can look over later. asking some of your friends to judge your costume in that short of time will really help you get used to it.

i tend to have problems getting judged since the judges do not know how to use the material i use. so be prepared to explain those wierd things you do and bring extra progress shots of those parts!!

i have judged befor and its hard to be that focused after 45 minutes of judging (it usually takes 3-4 hours to get to everyone) so please consider that when talking to the judges. the few judges that actually stand up and get close to your costume are a rarity indeed and greatly apreciated.

mewillusion
10-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm thinking about entering my boyfriend and myself as Medusa and Stein for fun but I'm rethinking that now. If the group is willing to wait in line for the contest then maybe we'll join but I don't want to waste being there by standing in line. I'll save the contests for Metrocon! ^^
Megacon is my "have-fun-with-Bonzai-and-everyone" convention. Though I know drama is in store... it always is..... >.<

negativedreamer
10-28-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking about entering my boyfriend and myself as Medusa and Stein for fun but I'm rethinking that now. If the group is willing to wait in line for the contest then maybe we'll join but I don't want to waste being there by standing in line. I'll save the contests for Metrocon! ^^
Megacon is my "have-fun-with-Bonzai-and-everyone" convention. Though I know drama is in store... it always is..... >.<

megacon usually allows walk ons... so if you would like to do that for fun it would save you a lot of time!

Hime no Toki
10-28-2008, 12:47 PM
I think it's very important for cosplayers to 'sell' their costumes to the judges. Make them interested, point out what you like most on your costume, what was the most challenging, what was a new experience for you in crafting costumes. I think part of the problem is it can be hard for judges to be interested in your costume if you don't seem at all excited about it and don't want to talk about it. Also, it can sometimes be suspicious and make the judges wonder if you ever made anything on your costume if you can't explain it. I'm not condoning this behavior, but I figure that is most likely the reason why some judges seem disinterested. No doubt some judges truly don't care about the contestants, which I feel is a huge dishonor to the entries, and I would like to think these judges are in the minority. The best thing to do is explain as much as you can. Judge doesn't want to get up and close? YOU get up and close and show them your costume. Show them your hard work. I think it's a huge disappointment to have to work hard on something for months and then have it ignored. No one should have to deal with that. I don't understand why judges wouldn't want to get up close, anyhow, as you can't possibly judge craftsmanship from a distance. Two costumes could look equally good, but one could be fraying like mad and the other have nice, serged seams. Looks can be deceiving!

BayushiKachiko
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
^--Hime and Negative know their stuff.

Let me clarify in saying that I'm not trying to discourage anyone from entering Mega's contest--far from it. I think it's a great experience, and I'm still up in the air about competing or doing a walk on myself.

However, I do still think you need to be prepared for the stuff mentioned above in the judging. Hime and Negative have given some really good advice and insight that's of great benefit if you've never competed before, or never competed at Mega. It's just good to have a total picture of what to expect. I know personally the first several events I competed in had judges that were up and inspecting the costumes and seemed interested in what was being said, which was a very positive experience.

And yes. Lots of progress pics. Lots and lots.

Lucifer
10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I always bring a list of things to point out for the judges, since they have limited time to see you. Usually it is attached to my reference image, so the judges would always see it.

I haven't been in Megacon's contests in years, so I don't know how well it is now. Assuming its like most other contests, just understand that the judges have limited time, and have a LOT of people to see. So make yourself memorable. If it means taking off your costume and showing its reversable, or that you made your shoes...go for it. I've judged in the past, and I'll honestly say its those odd instances that stand out, and often times are rewarded.

I will always say though, never to take costume contests too seriously, because it the end, its just a costume contest...and they are a dime a dozen.

Hime no Toki
10-29-2008, 04:06 PM
...not to mention Florida has a millions cons/contests, haha.

Cosplay should never be OMGSERIOUSBUSINESS though, I agree. You have to take it with a grain of salt. MegaCon has also been known to have very stiff competition in the past, so go into it with a positive outlook and have fun with it. Awards shouldn't be everything.

makeshiftwings
10-29-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm just not sure if Megacon is good for a first costume contest :/

And cosplay iz ttlly srs bizzness, Janet X3

Lucifer
10-30-2008, 07:26 AM

Megacon's costume contest is no more than Jacons, Metrocons, AFO's, AWA...etc, etc, etc. The same thing occurs at all. You walk up, get judged, go on stage, and sit down. How you feel your costume will DO in the contest, that's all depending on who enters, not the contest itself.

Megacon's contest tends to have bigger costumes, because there is more time between that and the last convention that people have TIME to make something more grand. That's all really. The competition was always pretty high at the first con of the year (and tends to dwindle by the end of the year).

negativedreamer
10-30-2008, 08:57 AM

And cosplay iz ttlly srs bizzness, Janet X3

my first contest was at megacon, and i enjoyed it. but since its a big con, there are more entries so there tends to be a lot more waiting involved. metrocon is very similar. both get about 75+ entries every year. i personally feel these contests are more "work" to participate in. Megacon i had to stand in line to go onstage, metrocon a least gave us chairs. Both of these brought us water which was epic.

jacon and afo are still big cons, you get judged the same way. just its about 50+ entries, a bit less waiting, so these are a bit more laid back. Jacon this year was a unique format, i am unsure as of yet if they are going to use it again. AFO was nice that they let you chill in a separate room until you were about to go onstage, plus there was a water cooler right outside of the room.

i tend to be one of those people who admit i take contests seriously. if i feel my work is good enough to give up time at a convention, be put into a schedule, let someone judge it and enter a competition it means something for me. i have plenty of fun costumes which i do not enter and i take very lightheartedly.

makeshiftwings
10-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Ah alright :D I guess I'll just see how much I'll like my costume at the end and then see. Thanks guys!

TheBunnyPirate
11-03-2008, 03:50 PM

wait, so I can't enter my Gir costume! I had no idea they had a rule for that......*sadface*

PluieEnfant
11-03-2008, 06:52 PM
wait, so I can't enter my Gir costume! I had no idea they had a rule for that......*sadface*

Megacon usually has a Universal Costume Contest, so maybe you could enter Gir into that. I don't really know if they're having the contest next year and I'm not sure of the rules, but it is universal. You should be able to do it with Gir. I think....Check the megacon website for future updates on that. XD Yeah, I know...I'm so reliable...-__-

RaccoonCop
11-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Just to clarify, there are two contests at MegaCon. There is the CosPLAY contest, which I cannot speak for, then there is the Universal Costume Contest hosted by the 501st. As a judge for this past year's costume contest, I can say that we had intended on using celebrity judges that canceled at the last minute and we ended up using event coordinators as judges also. While we all have our fair share of experience in costuming, the last minute decision made it difficult to properly plan out judging criteria, etc. It was basically a matter of... you walked on stage, had about 10-20 seconds to pose (if you wanted to speak or perform, you could, but there were no organized performances... no sound system, music, etc, allowed), and then we all gathered around after all contestants were done and selected the winners.

We do not use standard rating systems like other conventions, there are not different levels (novice, journeyman, etc), and costumes are broken down into category. Immediately after the convention, I contacted the 501st commanding officer and made several suggestions of some PRE planning we can do for next year to improve the contest. Again, this past year the idea of using celebrity guests didn't work... it was not part of their contract and they were not obligated to attend, so most did not (The Defuser showed up and watched, but got there late and couldn't judge).

If you guys have any suggestions for improvements on the Universal Costume Contest, please feel free to provide them (PM me, sadly I do not check these forums as often as I should) and I will make sure they get passed along (I do not know yet if I will be helping coordinate this year's contest, but if not, I will get the information to those who are).

Again, I can't help you with the cosplay contest

Kitsune
11-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Well, speaking of the Universal Costume Contest, do you know when you'll have information for the day/time of said contest? I'm entering the cosplay contest with my friends as part of a group, but I really had my heart set on entering the Universal Costume Contest, too. I'm sure a schedule hasn't been finalized just yet, but an estimate just on when the information will become available would be appreciated.

The biggest problem I had with last year's contest was a lack of organization; I had NO idea where to go to get a number, and meandered around very lost for a while before someone finally got me to where the numbers were being given out. I know it's easier said than done, but a little more organization would go a long way.

I did have fun in the line waiting for the contest to begin, though. Some great people entered last year, and I really do hope to enter again this coming year.

(Edit/ I suppose I should have read the whole post more carefully, or at least have read it not so early in the morning. I'll toss a PM out, too!)

RaccoonCop
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Again I can't speak for the Cosplay contest, as I wasn't even there, but the Universal Contest was actually fairly well organized from a logistical standpoint, once you got there. We had big signs telling contestants where to line up, by number (i.e. 1-10 in this line, 11-20 in this line, etc). There was an issue with some of the contestants not getting numbers because they didn't get their sheets turned in to the right area, which wasn't their fault, and that should be fixed this time around.

I do not know any of the specifics for this year's contest (date/time/location), but I do know they usually schedule the two contests well apart so people can participate in both.

Pantsu_chan
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Does the Wasabi cosplay contest always have that catwalk in the center of the stage? The width may be slightly prohibitive for what I'm planning on making for this (can't say TOO much, but it'll have a really long/wide train). Anyone know the dimensions of the catwalk offhand?

negativedreamer
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Does the Wasabi cosplay contest always have that catwalk in the center of the stage? The width may be slightly prohibitive for what I'm planning on making for this (can't say TOO much, but it'll have a really long/wide train). Anyone know the dimensions of the catwalk offhand?

the past 3 years it has been there... though this will be my first megacon that most likely i wont be competing in... i will miss it!

Pantsu_chan
11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks...I figured as much. Well turning around will be interesting then! And you won't be competing?! You're still coming though, right?

negativedreamer
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks...I figured as much. Well turning around will be interesting then! And you won't be competing?! You're still coming though, right?

yea i will be there for sure!

makeshiftwings
11-05-2008, 10:02 PM
So wait I'm confused.

There's the cosplay contest, which is skits.
There's the universal costume contest, which is anything.
And now there's the wasabi cosplay contest...?

I'M SO CONFUSED X_X

Pantsu_chan
11-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Wasabi's cosplay contest is THE cosplay contest. There are no skits. You walk on the stage (maybe they play you background music on a CD you provide), down the catwalk, then back off the stage. You can act in character, but no skits.

Lucifer
11-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Wasabi's cosplay contest is THE cosplay contest. There are no skits. You walk on the stage (maybe they play you background music on a CD you provide), down the catwalk, then back off the stage. You can act in character, but no skits.

You're talking about the Anime Sushi Costume Contest, which is held on Saturday and brings in around 120 contestants. Anime/Manga only entries. No performances, costume only.

makeshiftwings
11-06-2008, 10:39 AM
You're talking about the Anime Sushi Costume Contest, which is held on Saturday and brings in around 120 contestants. Anime/Manga only entries. No performances, costume only.

Oooh, okay. Do you think they'd accept Sora, since there is a KH manga, or should I do the universal one?

PluieEnfant
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Oooh, okay. Do you think they'd accept Sora, since there is a KH manga, or should I do the universal one?

The Anime Sushi Costume Contest includes games as well.

Lucifer
11-06-2008, 12:26 PM

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. The Anime Sushi contest allows for entries of Japanese origin, this includes anime, manga, video games, Jrock, and so forth.

Sora would be fine. If you check out various websites from Megacon, the most photos you see ARE from the Anime Sushi costume contest.

Honestly, the only contests I know of at Megacon are Anime Sushi's Costume Contest and the Universal Costume contest. I'm not aware of any skit based one, unless that was a new addition.

makeshiftwings
11-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Ahh, okay. Thanks guys! :3

Prota-Girl
01-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I was trying to see if there was a contest for comic related costumes. I really want to enter my Batman one of these days. ;_; Good luck everyone! :)

Divine Dragon
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I plan to enter Action Bastard in the contest. It would be even better if I could get a short girl to be Lollipop. I have a friend who could be Shin Chan, although I don't know if they would allow him since his costume would just be a store-bought red shirt and yellow shorts.

I also wonder if they would even let me enter since my character's name is Action BASTARD! Would they allow the announcer to say that? Last year, he was very reluctant to say "Hard Gay".

I would also like to make an audio CD, since they allow that for the contest, but instead of music I'd like to use 2 or 3 Action Bastard voice clips, but I don't know if they would allow the words "bastard" and "ass" since the costume and music must be rated PG. However, the Speed Racer movie was PG and they said "damn", "ass", "shit", and gave the finger.

I guess it would be easier if my CD just had Action Bastard's laugh.

LainaBug
01-10-2009, 02:54 PM
The Anime Sushi Costume Contest allows skits up to 1 minute but there aren't specific skit awards. Though there is a Fan Favorite award.

So it's kinda like, you can do a small skit if you really want - but you don't have to. There's usually only a handful of skits since it tends to be a craftsmanship based contest.

Here's a link to all the rules and info regarding the contest: http://www.animesushi.com/smf/index.php?topic=4127.new#new

Foos
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
I was trying to see if there was a contest for comic related costumes. I really want to enter my Batman one of these days. ;_; Good luck everyone! :)

There is no comic-specific one, but you CAN enter it into the universal costume contest.

makeshiftwings
02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I've got another couple questions.

Does anyone know if we have to wear shoes? I'm so worried about falling on my face in my topless sandals. Also, I'm going to be carrying around a little gourd object to keep my stuffs in. I don't want to bring this on stage. I'm going to be going alone to Mega so I won't have someone to give it to. What do you guys suggest?

kimiko_yuki
02-16-2009, 03:13 AM
is there a specific rule about entering the contest with something that has already been entered in another contest and won? I'm upgrading my seth/asta with more intricate armor and weapons and wanna enter it in the contest but I'm not sure if this would be a problem.

Foos
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Kimiko: Ask. If you've won an award with it before, just make sure the judges know. At almost every con this year, there have been people re-competing. Heck, last year at Megacon one of the people in the best technical group also won best individual at Metro.

Hime no Toki
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Generally speaking, you can usually re-enter, unless you won a major award. Judges awards and honorable mentions, I see nothing wrong with people re-entering with costumes that have won those awards, but larger awards, well, I think it is good ethics to leave the costume out of future competition. Some cons, such as AWA, forbid entering costumes that have already won an award previously, and I can see why. I know it's usually a question judges will ask to know if you have won or not, and it's best not to lie since judges can and will do their research afterwards if it is questionable. I won Best of Show with Wander at Ohayo and am yanking out of the competition this year at Mega for that very reason. I don't really see any point in entering again, but that's my own personal opinion and I know others that don't feel the same. But judges are usually going to want to see something fresh over something that is impressive, but has already won a major award somewhere else.

Divine Dragon
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
I've got another couple questions.

Does anyone know if we have to wear shoes? I'm so worried about falling on my face in my topless sandals. Also, I'm going to be carrying around a little gourd object to keep my stuffs in. I don't want to bring this on stage. I'm going to be going alone to Mega so I won't have someone to give it to. What do you guys suggest?

If you're carrying stuff around, you can leave it in the area where all the contestants line up before you go on stage, and you can pick it up after your turn. I was carrying around a bag and a boombox last year, and I left them where the rest were lined up when it was my turn.

makeshiftwings
02-16-2009, 09:39 PM
If you're carrying stuff around, you can leave it in the area where all the contestants line up before you go on stage, and you can pick it up after your turn. I was carrying around a bag and a boombox last year, and I left them where the rest were lined up when it was my turn.

Oh okay. Spanks!

chinna
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
can any peice of the costume be store bought like a skirt or earrings and/or then modified to that of the costume of the character? is the entire cosplay jugded on likely-ness to the character or on how nicely it was made? can there be partners or is it singles only?

ShiNo_Usagi
11-02-2009, 04:45 PM
can any peice of the costume be store bought like a skirt or earrings and/or then modified to that of the costume of the character? is the entire cosplay jugded on likely-ness to the character or on how nicely it was made? can there be partners or is it singles only?
You can purchase pieces of your costume but only up to a certain extent is allowed, I think 15% store bought. You an enter either by yourself or in a group of 2 or more =)

BayushiKachiko
11-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Necro like whoa.

I'd recommend that you modify anything that you purchase. Some other peeps here that have judged can clarify or vouche for the following, but I think the only thing the judges are NOT overly picky about being modified are shoes since let's face it, most of us are not cobblers. Though, I usually have boot covers on anyway, so...take that for what it is.

More than one person will qualify for the group category.

And again, others can vouche more specifically for exactly the judging criteria, but a lot of attention goes in to the craftsmanship aspect. However, if the craftsmanship is good, the level of "likey-ness" should (by default) also be good. If you're doing an alternate version of a character, make sure you bring in reference pics so the judges have something to compare your costume to.

Good luck!!

Braithcakes
11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
what if some pieces of our costume are made by a comissioner? I have a jacket and backwrap that were made for me o.O
would I give credit for those particular pieces?

ShiNo_Usagi
11-02-2009, 05:57 PM
what if some pieces of our costume are made by a comissioner? I have a jacket and backwrap that were made for me o.O
would I give credit for those particular pieces?
Yes, you would tell the judges that they were a commission and who made them. Though it lowers your chances of receiving an award.

Braithcakes
11-02-2009, 06:09 PM
that's ok, I want to do it for fun.

although...it's an ENTIRELY original design of a game class...so would I need to bring in my detailed sketches of them? and then they would judge on how well I pulled off that design?

it's ok if I don't get an award :3 I just want to showcase my designs((I wish I could sew better ;_; all I can ever do is mod stuff))

ShiNo_Usagi
11-02-2009, 06:13 PM

although...it's an ENTIRELY original design of a game class...so would I need to bring in my detailed sketches of them? and then they would judge on how well I pulled off that design?

it's ok if I don't get an award :3 I just want to showcase my designs((I wish I could sew better ;_; all I can ever do is mod stuff))

Always bring reference images so that you can be judged accurately. Sketches that you have made up of the costume (how the pieces go together and such) are something you may want to bring =)

Braithcakes
11-02-2009, 06:48 PM
:3 alrightyyyy

._. I just hurted myself trying to etch in an insignia into a little metal clasp ;_;

Lucifer
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM

I'm going to be honest and say you probably shouldn't enter the costume contest at Megacon.

First and foremost, it is a costume contest. If you didn't make your costume, why be in a contest for costume contruction? I understand you don't care about awards, but if you enter, that means someone else may not (due to a potential cap on contestants, as everyone knows Megacon has a LARGE contest participation), whom had made their own costume from scratch.

Unless the person who made your costume pieces is in a group WITH you,...its just best to not enter and enjoy hall cosplaying.

However, you can always inquire if Anime Sushi is doing a catwalk after the costume contest. One year I know they did, allowing those who did not want to be judged a chance to get on stage after those who were judged had already had their spotlight.

ShiNo_Usagi
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
However, you can always inquire if Anime Sushi is doing a catwalk after the costume contest. One year I know they did, allowing those who did not want to be judged a chance to get on stage after those who were judged had already had their spotlight.

I think that they should do this every year for this exact reason, it's such a great idea because I know people who just want to showcase a costume but not be in a 'contest'. any reason why they only did it once?

Lucifer
11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I think that they should do this every year for this exact reason, it's such a great idea because I know people who just want to showcase a costume but not be in a 'contest'. any reason why they only did it once?

No idea. I just know in 2004 they did it because several of my friends who didn't enter did the catwalk after the contest. My guess is that year there was time for one? I really don't know.

I think it all amounts to if there was time or not, considering Anime Sushi's costume contest is the one with the most entries.

Braithcakes
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I think I'll inquire about the catwalk thing, it's just because...the only parts of my costume made by someone else is the coat and bottom wrap, all the accessories, main parts, and props are made by me...bu I'm thinkinnnggggg yeah >_> that might be best.

but on a different note....I go to megacon every year and see ALOT of people in the contest that didn't make their costumes >_> but then I see even more who DO make all of their stuff and don't want to enter it because they're selfconcious or for some other reason.... D: I'm confused, is it because all of the buyers took up spots?

also also, does all credit go to a comissioner? or is it split between the comissioner and the designer? because essentially....the only reference pictures on the internet were drawn by me, since it's my own design...so it was a collaborated effort, since...I designed it fully, would the costume be HERS? or would the costume be hers, and the design be mine? o.O

Hime no Toki
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
No one should be entering a contest with bought/commissioned items being the majority of their costumes unless said comissioner is there to explain how it was made, and the cosplayer in the costume is acting as the model. This is very unfair to those who put a lot of work into their costumes - the idea behind a costume contest is to judge craftsmanship. Now, I am not sure if you know for a fact people are buying costumes and entering or assuming, or it was heresay, but that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Also, a lot of people choose not to enter a costume they made themselves or whatever reason - sometimes they want to do a test run in the costume, aren't interested in competing because it's not their thing, don't like how a certain contest is run, etc. Or, spots are taken up - Mega always draws a lot of entries, usually around 100-200 every year, so they most often times book all their judging slots.

makeshiftwings
11-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I think I'll inquire about the catwalk thing, it's just because...the only parts of my costume made by someone else is the coat and bottom wrap, all the accessories, main parts, and props are made by me...bu I'm thinkinnnggggg yeah >_> that might be best.

but on a different note....I go to megacon every year and see ALOT of people in the contest that didn't make their costumes >_> but then I see even more who DO make all of their stuff and don't want to enter it because they're selfconcious or for some other reason.... D: I'm confused, is it because all of the buyers took up spots?

also also, does all credit go to a comissioner? or is it split between the comissioner and the designer? because essentially....the only reference pictures on the internet were drawn by me, since it's my own design...so it was a collaborated effort, since...I designed it fully, would the costume be HERS? or would the costume be hers, and the design be mine? o.O

You need to have integrity when it comes to bought pieces. It is very, very wrong to buy a costume and to enter the contest and say that you made it. It happens, unfortunately, and I know for a fact that someone WON with a costume that was not made by them with no credit given elsewhere during the last Jacon. I agree that the catwalk would be the best idea - some contests offer that during the contest, I think. EXPCon had some walk-on's during their contest. I know that Vanessa had her whole group/family come up with her, but she was the only one who truly entered the contest. I would just ask the people in charge at Mega.
I entered a somewhat original design last year and got a Judge's award. If you decide to enter, just explain to them what's going on and they will decide where they think credit is given. Give them references of what you based your costume off of and explain why you designed it that way. And tell them EVERYTHING you made, and EVERYTHING she made. I'm not accusing you of potentially claiming something as yours but... It just really bothers me when people will enter with bought costumes and will win over people who have put hundreds of hours worth of work into theirs.

Braithcakes
11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
oh no no no, I understand that, I actually intended that as a serious question, because I wasn't sure if I would also be acredditted to partially "forming" the costume or not. and of course I would say exactly what she made and didn't make =.= I'm not an idiot....
I just didn't know if a designer deserved partial credit on the actual design or not.

edit: hime: only two pieces of my costume were made by a comissioner, and...they were made by her, yes....however I told her exactly what materials to use, and HOW to form it, drew our the little stitches and drew her a pattern too...like I said, I'm not an idiot...I wouldn't enter a contest unless I fully explained everything before-hand.

and yeah >_> I know that they bought costumes. because...I've asked them, if they made it...and most of the replies- no.

Edit edit: please DO NOT misunderstand me and think I'm taking credit or anything, I'm not...

ShiNo_Usagi
11-03-2009, 05:16 PM
oh no no no, I understand that, I actually intended that as a serious question, because I wasn't sure if I would also be acredditted to partially "forming" the costume or not. and of course I would say exactly what she made and didn't make =.= I'm not an idiot....
I just didn't know if a designer deserved partial credit on the actual design or not.

edit: hime: only two pieces of my costume were made by a comissioner, and...they were made by her, yes....however I told her exactly what materials to use, and HOW to form it, drew our the little stitches and drew her a pattern too...like I said, I'm not an idiot...I wouldn't enter a contest unless I fully explained everything before-hand.

and yeah >_> I know that they bought costumes. because...I've asked them, if they made it...and most of the replies- no.

Edit edit: please DO NOT misunderstand me and think I'm taking credit or anything, I'm not...

No one thinks you're taking credit, we're just trying to explain how things work at the MegaCon's costume contest and with most others. If you want some straight up answers to some of your questions you can go to Anime Sushi's site and ask on their forums since they are the ones who run the anime costume contest at Mega =)

Braithcakes
11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
>o> okie dokie :3

makeshiftwings
11-03-2009, 06:15 PM

No no, I'm not accusing you at all. You seem like a nice guy and your questions and concern just SHOW that you're worried about taking credit for something you shouldn't. No worries at all.

Braithcakes
11-03-2009, 07:06 PM
OH >_> btw....who gets credit if say...my aunt helped me do it? >< like...she didn't do it FOR me, but she's been helping me make my little moneybag, and she's been helping me alter my pants and make my gloves, and then my BF is helping me sand down my prop staff

BayushiKachiko
11-03-2009, 07:21 PM
So long as YOU are doing the work, and they're supervising/assisting, I don't see why you would not be able to claim credit.

Though, some of the other peeps here with more experience both with competing AND judging, could likely answer that more concretely.

makeshiftwings
11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
OH >_> btw....who gets credit if say...my aunt helped me do it? >< like...she didn't do it FOR me, but she's been helping me make my little moneybag, and she's been helping me alter my pants and make my gloves, and then my BF is helping me sand down my prop staff

Yeah, I'd say as long as you're physically doing the work and not sitting there and watching the entire time, you'd be fine. Even if she just jumped on the sewing machine to show you how to stitch something or do something real quick, she doesn't get credit for the entire thing... Help is help :B And sometimes on evaluation forms, anyway, they ask if you got any help with the costume.

Braithcakes
11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
ahh ok, and yeah that's pretty much what she's doing, she shows me how to do something, watches me do it, and intervienes when I do a no-no ><

especially with the gloves...leather is hard to work with D:

Solo
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
If you're worried that having a supervisor/guide might be in question, then explain the situation to the judges and let them make the call. Don't leave out any information. It's more important that you come out and fully explain everything that went into the construction of the costume then to worry about winning under false pretenses and frustrating your fellow cosplayers or the judges.
Also if you used any different or unique accessories in creating your costume/props (Like using a discarded sign to construct a shield), tell the judges. Creativity is a big plus and is usually factored into the judges decision when choosing winners.

Braithcakes
11-13-2009, 12:33 PM
>_> so if I used pieces of an old abandoned bank's sign to make pieces of armor for it I should tell them? :3

Vadia
11-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Hello,

I plan to wear a bodysuit/zentai suit/ bodystocking under my costume to preserve modesty. Does the fact that I didn't make the bodysuit make it unable to participate in the contest? The bodysuit isn't part of the costume, just something I wear to limit the exposed skin and prevent flashing anyone, kinda like dancer tights for Kuja costumes. Should I just not wear the bodysuit when it comes time to judge? I can still wear the costume without it just more comfortable with it. Or does the fact that I have to make some alterations to the bodysuit make it eligible to wear into the judging?

Sorry to ask here but you guys seem to know how the costume contest works, and the Anime sushi site won't pull up for me.

Thanks,
Vadia

BayushiKachiko
11-13-2009, 04:43 PM
From what I understand, the suit would not make you ineligible.

However, were I in your position, I would likely NOT wear the suit during judging, or during the actual contest (unless serious slippage is a concern) because (again, this is only my opinion) that it may negatively detract from the rest of your costume. On the other hand, I also understand about not wanting to show too much skin. It's why I do a lot of crossplay, hahah.

You might want to try asking some close friends that will give you honest opinions about the costume, both with the suit and without. Maybe the suit WILL detract, but then again maybe not.

My apologies if that didn't help at all, hah.

makeshiftwings
11-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Hello,

I plan to wear a bodysuit/zentai suit/ bodystocking under my costume to preserve modesty. Does the fact that I didn't make the bodysuit make it unable to participate in the contest? The bodysuit isn't part of the costume, just something I wear to limit the exposed skin and prevent flashing anyone, kinda like dancer tights for Kuja costumes. Should I just not wear the bodysuit when it comes time to judge? I can still wear the costume without it just more comfortable with it. Or does the fact that I have to make some alterations to the bodysuit make it eligible to wear into the judging?

Sorry to ask here but you guys seem to know how the costume contest works, and the Anime sushi site won't pull up for me.

Thanks,
Vadia

Last year, I wore a body suit that I didn't make, but painted somewhat, and got a Judge's Award. I think you'll be okay. Just let them know you didn't make it.

Solo
11-13-2009, 09:34 PM
>_> so if I used pieces of an old abandoned bank's sign to make pieces of armor for it I should tell them? :3

If that's what you used, I would tell them during judging. I just like to through that out to people in costume contests in general.

I plan to wear a bodysuit/zentai suit/ bodystocking under my costume to preserve modesty. Does the fact that I didn't make the bodysuit make it unable to participate in the contest?

If you're worried about modesty I would wear it to judging and during the contest (you wouldn't want to worry about flashing on stage or in front of the judges). Just let the judges know why your wearing it. Its likely they've probable had other contestants in the same situation.

Vadia
11-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I'll let the judges know I didn't make it and why I'm wearing it.

Vadia

Divine Dragon
11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Last year, I wore a blue body suit I bought from eBay as part of my costume and I still won a Judge's Award. I didn't alter it at all and it seemed fine with the judges.