PDA

View Full Version : how to hide my natural hair...

Sala
07-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Okay, I have worn numerous wigs and one problem that I always run into is that my natural hair extends out past the edges of the wig (like in the front and sides that frame the face). People have said: just pull the wig down further, but to me that just looks weird. Not flattering at all. What do people suggest? I've had some friends jokingly tell me to get one of those 'Bald Men wigs' and then put the wig I want to wear over that. Others have told me to simply hairspray the hell out of my hair, so that it's practically part of my scalp. Does anyone out there have a method that works?

K_Valentine
07-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Use a Wig Cap?

KaraokeKate
07-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Yes, a wig cap would be a good start. ^_^

I just wrote a section on "How to Wear a Wig":

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_wigcare.html

Sala
07-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Well, that's not really my problem....

The way my hair grows on my head, it grows starting closer to my cheek bones than my ears on the sides. So, even with the wig cap, I can't capture it all. You still see dark brown under a blonde wig. I guess I'm looking for a way for this to be less noticable w/o dying my hair the color of the wig or shaving my head...
Would it look too silly if I had a solid skin-toned wig cap showing at the edges of the wig, or is that too ghetto?

Gren
07-14-2003, 06:50 PM
I have short hair, so hairs trying to escape can be an issue. I usually just gel the crap out of my hair, and if there's any bits that still want to show, apply a bit of foundation to them.

that's much less of an issue nowadays, since I decided to just shave my sideburns off.

Sarcasm-hime
07-15-2003, 12:05 AM
Hmmmm. Just read your tutorial, Katie, and I agree on most of it except for one thing.

I have straight, rather slippery hair down to my knees and I've tried lots of methods of putting it up under wigs. I tried just twisting it tightly and massing it at the base of the skull like you suggested, but I found that the weight of it pulled the wig backwards...also, the wig cap would just slide back from my hairline. Since then I've usually used pin-curls, but found that gave me too 'poofy' an effect under the wig. So for my most recent wig excursion, I tried french-braiding my hair in a circle around my head...and found that the most successful method. The braid provided an anchor at the front hairline for the pins to grip; my hair is straight and fine, and previously pins didn't seem to do much good there.

I imagine it has a lot to do with hair type and texture, of course...this is just my experience. The braiding is a pain in the ass, especially with hair as long as mine, but it kept the wig on all day with almost no movement whatsoever.

KaraokeKate
07-15-2003, 03:28 AM
Well "down to your knees" is past your butt. So the disclaimer applies. ~_^

The primary problem I've seen with people braiding is more in referrence to the style they choose to do it under, than the braiding itself. If the wig design has enough body that it won't look awkward then rock on. But when it's a very sleek/close to the scalp design and you're trying to stuff a braid under it, then that's where people are getting "lumpy" heads.

As for AnimeRei's question, it sounds like you've just got some extra "fuzz" hairs around your hairline that are getting out of place. Have you tried facial bleach? Many salons offer this service now, and it's an alternative to shaving it back. I had an Armenian friend whose hairline actually went down to her temples, and she just would get it bleached or waxed every once once in a while so it didn't annoy her too much. ^_^

Koumori
07-15-2003, 09:38 AM
I have very straight, very fine, shoulder-length hair, and I always use pin curls under a wig cap. Take a section of your hair and twist it until it starts to coil back on itself, then curl it around your fingers so it lies flat to your head and secure it with two bobby pins in an X shape. Repeat until all of your hair is up and cover with a wig cap. It's almost immobile, doesn't make extra lumps under your wig and gives you something to pin your wig to for a really secure hold.

Sala
07-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Gren: ooh, thanks for the tip about using foundation! I've never tried that (since I don't own any foundation - kinda hard to match it to my face since I have millions of freckles!) But I'll go out and get some. That should work. THANKS!

number18
07-15-2003, 01:10 PM
I've had this problem myself with wigs. For my #18 costume, I have to push the hair behind my left ear. Since I have short hair, the little hairs won't just stuff into the wig and I have this line of brown hair sticking out from the blond wig on that side. Check out my Juuhachi costume #1 in my costumes and you'll see exactly what I mean. My only solution to this is bleaching my hair to match, which I ended up doing for Anime Boston (no biggie to me bleaching my hair, btw). I am wondering what I am going to do for every time I wear the costume again...

EDIT:
Here's the pics to demonstrate and to save everyone from poking thru my pictures.

Look at the brown hair! >.< http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=20598
Ahh, bleached. No brown hair! But maybe you can still tell my natural hair here... http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=36557&password=&sort=1&cat=3660&page=1

twilighthush
07-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Oh jesus christ, I HATE pin curls.
I always hated doing it in class.
they're such a pain in the ass.

KaraokeKate
07-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Now tell us what you REALLY think. ~_^

Sala
07-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Number18: that is my problem exactly. Even with massive amount of spray and gel, my hair still shows around the edges of the wigs that don't come down far enough! I really don't want to dye my hair blonde again (it JUST grew back to its normal brown color!), but I just might have to...
Question: do people think that 'comb-in' blonde dye will cover my brown enough for that to be an option, or would it just look like I have yellow gooey stuff in my hair? (i've never tried comb-in temp. dyes)

cloudette
07-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi AnimeRei3,

I have your exact same probelm. I was inuyasha for the past AX so I had to wear the white wig. Well all of my hairline from ear to forhead to other ear is not covered by the wig. The only saving grace was the wig has bangs and the front sides are supposed to cover my ears. Well I did use foundation which did work some. I also have this stuff called Color HEads from the brand got2b. Its like gell with color and it works like cement so it will be great to keep your hair back. I was also thinking of using the bald cap idea because I want to be caracters with no bangs, and like you said before pulling the wig down to cover my hair like will leave me looking like a cave man with a little forhead. Let me know any other ideas you may have come up with.

I feel your hairline pain.

Moogle Hiromi
07-16-2003, 10:29 PM
I would just use foundation over your whole face, so to blend the sideburns into the rest of your face.... [ah....] Try to match the foundation on your neck or somewhere with a blank space. [Hahaha, I have freckles too... :P] Just ask somebody who knows a bit about makeup to help you, then that foiundation trick may work.

And that comb in blond should work too, maybe try both methods at once?

Mao

number18
07-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Hmm...foundation...seems like it'd look really weird covering hair but I guess I might try it or...something. I'm so not into wearing make-up though. I like having mascara on but I ALWAYS ALWAYS end up rubbing my eye for some reason and smearing it or SOMETHING...I suck at wearing make-up of any kind besides lip gloss... :P

I guess I should look into it some time though. Us poor dark haired individuals... :(

Koumori
07-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by twilighthush
Oh jesus christ, I HATE pin curls.
I always hated doing it in class.
they're such a pain in the ass.

I need 'em. My hair is so fine and smooth that pins just slide right through it if I don't give them an anchor. :)

cloudette
07-22-2003, 09:49 PM
On the topic of covering hair lines...
I found a stage makeup book that covers the topic of covering hairlines for character creation. :) the book is "Stage Makeup" by Richard Corson. The book sells for like $100 bucks on amazon because it is a book for an actual make up course. But! I borrowed a FREE copy from the Library. THANK GOD FOR THE LIBRARY. So check it out if you can. The book covered 3 methods for covering the hair line. Most of them invovled a technique called soaping. Soup is just using a wet bar of soap and rubbing it on your hair following the growth. Let it dry. It will dry hard and flat. They also use "Derma wax", "spirit gum", and "Eyebrow Plastic". You would not use all of the above at the same time but different combinations. After covering your hair line with the stuff above you would then cover the waxed area with a concealer of some type. It seams like it would take some time to apply all the layers of stuff so this is probably a really seriouse method of covering hair. But I am definatly going to try.

Ruby-Chan
07-24-2003, 12:47 PM
i often have a problem with wigs too. I have very thick (we're talking weighing enough it gives me headaches occasionally) wavy hair down to my hips. because its so thick i've found very few methods of pinning it up that don't make me look like a cone head.

Koumori
07-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Ruby-Chan
i often have a problem with wigs too. I have very thick (we're talking weighing enough it gives me headaches occasionally) wavy hair down to my hips. because its so thick i've found very few methods of pinning it up that don't make me look like a cone head.

Hmm. I know Rosiel has said she just braids her waist-length hair and tucks it down the back of her shirt... but that obviously will only work for a long wig and relatively high collar.

Sarcasm-hime
07-25-2003, 12:11 PM
My hair is even longer, and as mentioned earlier the only method I've found that didn't result in a cone-head was french-braiding in a circle around my head, then coiling the rest of the braid and pinning it in place. It would probably work better with more than one braid so that the braids would be small.

coeli
07-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Yeah, the coiled braids are the way to go for really long hair. Not only does it distribute the hair evenly, but the braids give you a good "base" to pin your wig to so it doesn't shift.

--Coeli

RyoDragon1
07-25-2003, 07:06 PM
i used coiled braids and a flesh coloured kneehigh stocking.. (the kind you get in department stores) .. it worked really well.

Ruby-Chan
07-29-2003, 03:53 AM
so is there any method out there of hiding hair as long and as thick as mine under lets say a chin length wig. i've done the gathering it at the base of my skull in a wig cap thing for longs wigs, but i think it would show at the bottom of a short wig.

Sarcasm-hime
07-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately, I think that for people with really long and/or really thick hair, some wigs are just not feasible. I don't think I'll even try to wear a really short wig, because no matter how careful I am at evenly distributing my hair under the wig, there will be extra mass there.

Chin-length would probably be possible, but instead of just gathering it at the base of the skull, I'd recommend pinning or braiding or something ot make sure it didn't peek out.