PDA

View Full Version : What do they look for when Judging?

carly579
07-14-2003, 11:02 PM
I'm in the Masquerade at Otakon. I've only had a little experence with judging. What do they look for? I mean I know the obvious...but I'd like some ideas of how they look at a costume. Also My character (Lina Inverse Return version) is very inconsistant from picture to picture. I plan on taking a few for reference for the judges, will they count off if I match one pic but not another? Mainly her armour on the right side changes dramatically, I haven't found two pictures where it looks the same. Also I'll be making some slight changes to the costume to accomidate my figure/enhance my appearence of the character. sorry for all the questions, but I'd like some veterans to share some advice. thanks!

Sarcasm-hime
07-15-2003, 01:12 AM
It depends from con to con, as judges are different, but in my experience if you provide documentation and explain why you chose to make it the way you did, you'll be fine. Hell, I took very generous artistic liberties with my Windy costume and still won Best Workmanship in Show. Judges aren't nazis. So if you just offer a good explanation of your process, they'll understand. Judges look at accuracy, but also how well something is constructed. And if you say "I chose to deviate from the official/more common version because of this and this and this..." then they'll know that it was intentional, not a mistake. Lots of people choose between different versions of the same costume...it's really up to you. ^_^

carly579
07-15-2003, 01:40 AM
whew that's good to know. Yeah since Otakon is such a big con, I'm putting together a folder of reference materials I used with an explanation of what materials I used, process and stuff.