PDA

View Full Version : Worldcon Info!

Kaijugal
07-14-2003, 10:24 PM
:bouncer: Information about special WORLDCON/TORCON rate from Alixandra, Please read. :)

Gentlebeings:

Please spread the word. We just received the word that for those, who wish to attend/compete in/work for the Torcon Masquerade there is a special price of $50.00 Canadian.
THIS MUST BE PAID IN ADVANCE; CUT OFF DATE IS THE END OF THIS MONTH; JULY 31.
If you wish to take advantage of this, please mark your forms as: MASQUERADE ONLY; AS PER PETER JARVIS, CON CHAIR, TORCON.
There is no charge to simply drop by and help Barb, since masquerade headquarters will be in the Crowne Plaza. This does not get you into the convention; does not get you near the actual masquerade.
There is no charge for the costumers' suite, which will be open to all. Times and details to follow.
There is no charge for working the fashion show. Details to follow.

Peace
Alixandra
eddana@sympatico.ca

Kisa
07-16-2003, 10:56 PM
You know... the sad thing is, I wish I could scrape together 50$ and time to make the costume I want... beacuse it would be awsome for World-con.
*sigh*
I was going to ask you about it at TT, but I forgot.
Ohwell. I'll save it for TT next year :)

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Kisa
You know... the sad thing is, I wish I could scrape together 50$ and time to make the costume I want... beacuse it would be awsome for World-con.
*sigh*
I was going to ask you about it at TT, but I forgot.
Ohwell. I'll save it for TT next year :)

OOps. Well I might see you at SFX eh?

BTW are you guys going with my suggestion about volunteering to be models for the SALUTE TO CANADIAN COSTUMING fashion show?

Did you know that some of the costumes being shown are famous? Check out 'The Costume Makers Art' by Thom Boswell.

(Yes it's "Thom")

Cheers!
E-mail me anytime!
~Dawn :)

xiola
07-24-2003, 04:48 PM
(i like the name Thom, it reminds me of Thom Yorke, who i always thought had a cute name :p)

and yes, after you mentioned it at TT we went and pestered (um, was it barb? or someone else? i'm horrible at mixing up names) to sign up and gave her our contacts and sizes. :P

that was kisa and i, but i think Ruth and Louise said they signed up too (Dan might have tentatively signed up too, but i'm not sure, and then i sent her to run after Darian because i figured he'd be interested, given his vanity ;P)

so uhm, hopefully she'll email us back, coz i'm hoping to do it o.o (and it's an excuse to visit Kisa and Louise for a week between CNA and Worldcon :D)

... personally even if i had a wonderful costume i don't think i could handle being in the Worldcon Masq for my own costume at all. and it wouldn't be worth all the snubbing from the older crowd and the hassle of not being able to pay for the actual con and having to deal with security at the same time... but i'm just sensitive that way, i guess. even if i made something ten times as good as i'd ever made before i'd still start thinking i was inadequate once i got there. i'm so much happier with my costumes before i start having to compare them to other people's, so i am still questioning whether i should really do masq's at all. i just feel bad for the missed opportunity and exposure if i don't O_o. maybe someday when i have a real job and a high enough tolerance for stress that it might actually be worth it... X_X

yeah ok i'll stop rambling now. i think the short answer is "yes". ;P and i still have to look up that book...

Kaijugal
07-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by xiola

and yes, after you mentioned it at TT we went and pestered (um, was it barb? or someone else? i'm horrible at mixing up names) to sign up and gave her our contacts and sizes. :P

that was kisa and i, but i think Ruth and Louise said they signed up too (Dan might have tentatively signed up too, but i'm not sure, and then i sent her to run after Darian because i figured he'd be interested, given his vanity ;P)

so uhm, hopefully she'll email us back, coz i'm hoping to do it o.o (and it's an excuse to visit Kisa and Louise for a week between CNA and Worldcon :D)

... personally even if i had a wonderful costume i don't think i could handle being in the Worldcon Masq for my own costume at all. and it wouldn't be worth all the snubbing from the older crowd and the hassle of not being able to pay for the actual con and having to deal with security at the same time... but i'm just sensitive that way, i guess. even if i made something ten times as good as i'd ever made before i'd still start thinking i was inadequate once i got there. i'm so much happier with my costumes before i start having to compare them to other people's, so i am still questioning whether i should really do masq's at all. i just feel bad for the missed opportunity and exposure if i don't O_o. maybe someday when i have a real job and a high enough tolerance for stress that it might actually be worth it... X_X

yeah ok i'll stop rambling now. i think the short answer is "yes". ;P and i still have to look up that book...

I'm glad you will be participating in the fashion show. It's a great opportunity! Actually it will be a great way for you to get aquainted with worldcon so perhaps if you want to attend again as a masquerade participant you won't feel so intimidated. As for being snubbed by the older crowd, I AM the older crowd and I don't snub you, nor will the local established gals like Barb Schofield and Caroline Julian. We want you all to attend, you are the future of the hobby and I personally hope I can consider you friends in the hobby as well. :) I'd be very proud to have you guys and gals along side me representing Toronto/Southern Ontario this August!! (as for the negative opinions of any foriegn "old crowd" people. Bah! They suck!) Hahaha.

Cheers!
~Dawn :cheers: