PDA

View Full Version : FFX Lulu help

Meta
07-15-2003, 11:36 AM
I saw some of the costumes in another thread, and it inspired me to try to make a Lulu costume. However, i was thinking about using vinyl to make the main body of it. Does anybody know if this would work well, because i dont know much about fabrics and dont want to spend cash on something that wont end up looking nice. Thanks in advance....

FallenAngelII
07-15-2003, 01:56 PM
Er... vinyl... o_O I don't think that's a very good idea... o_O. But maybe its just me.

Rikkie
07-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Vinyl wouldn't be a very good choice if you want it to be comfortable. The inside is just.. scratchy. How would I know this? Because I made my rikku top out of vinyl lol! But you could still make it out of vinyl, just don't wear it on a hot day, it doesn't absorb sweat =P.

My suggestion is pleather, but then again, I don't know much about fabrics either.

Meta
07-16-2003, 09:36 AM
what did Yaya Han use for her Lulu? I liked her's a lot and Im going to try to mimic it as much as I can.

RealizeDOP
07-16-2003, 09:48 AM
^.~ If by main body you mean the corset, the Vynil isn't that horrible of an idea as long as you line is with something. But vynil will get HOT real fast cause your body will start sweating faster cause their is no air going out. Lots of people make it out of vynil, however, i would suggest using (if vynil is your choice) a light weight matte vynil.

Sarcasm-hime
07-16-2003, 06:31 PM
I've seen many people use vinyl or pleather (they're both basically plastic so neither breathes) for the skirt and sleeves, but I don't think you should use it for the corset. If you look closely at the pics, the corset looks like it's made out of pleated or wrinkly fabric...that would be more comfortable than vinyl or pleather. Plus making a corset isn't easy, and with vinyl or pleather you can't undo the stitches and try again. ^_^

Meta
07-16-2003, 08:31 PM
i didnt plan on using vinyl for the corset. I already found one that i plan on getting. It was made for Lulu cosplayers.

strychnine
07-16-2003, 10:35 PM
...is made out of vinyl. And it's actually quite comfy...though your middle gets fairly hot. This isn't a big deal thought because the dress is off the shoulders and legs. I really find it hard to sit in with all those belts tho.

The only thing I suggest now? Take your time on the belts, it's worth it. Start with 3 belts going straigt down, then every horizontal belt should be sewn to those, and every other piece glued down, that will make sure that your belts stay in place. And also remember: buy a leather needle, it's hollow, it's MUCH easier to use because it carves the material rather than poking through it.

I have accessories for sale on my website if you like, as well as a picture of my dress and other things. If you have any questions, just ask! ^_^

Good luck, Lulu is a FUN but difficult costuime...but rewarding if you pay attention to detail.

Koumori
07-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Meta
what did Yaya Han use for her Lulu? I liked her's a lot and Im going to try to mimic it as much as I can.

She added a lot of creative details to hers that are not exactly like Lulu's from the game. However, you can ask her if she's willing to share any tips with you; she posts here as angelicstar.

LuckInSpades
07-17-2003, 02:05 AM
I am sorry, but I think you are crazy to want to make it out of vinyl. Like everyone has said - it doesn't breathe, and you sweat. Also, I hope you have a heavy-duty machine to sew through x layers of vinyl.

I made mine out of velveteen for the corset, and satin for the remainder of the dress. And THAT was hot enough at Fanime con. However, the ultimate decision is up to you *shrug*

Pink Bunnie
07-17-2003, 03:20 AM
I made my sleeves and skirt out of textured vinyl. I luv the appearance it gave. I got the fabric at Hancocks a long time ago so I'm not sure where to get it anymore.

If you want vinyl/pleather I'd recommend finding a soft pleathery type material. In the CG pics it has a bit of grain to it so if you can manage to scrounge fabric with one up Yippies! It took me a good month and days of driving and searching to find my fabric x.x;;

strychnine
07-17-2003, 05:18 PM
I just really like the way vinyl looks, it looks just like her dress material. Like I said, I didn't find it too hot, and on an average day here right now, it's about +20 cel...which is pretty hot. Aside from the middle of your torso, you're not wearing much aside from that ^_^

I say it your own choice and preference, if you don't mind a little sweat on yer midsection, go vinyl! ^_^

Mandy Mitchell
08-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Yaya used upholstery for her Lulu costume. I used black vinyl for my Lulu costume, and it worked fine. Not the flimsy vinyl, but the sturdier one.

LiL QoH
08-20-2003, 02:36 AM
I used a uhh.. I dunno.. It's not like regular PVC, looks more like actual leather but a little lighter, has veins in the fabric and everything. I got it in the fabric district a couple years ago.. 6 yards of it for 40 bucks! man I love to haggle down there! :D