PDA

View Full Version : Anime clubs & viewing anime?

Ali-kun
09-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Whee, a friend of mine in Japanese class wants to start an anime club at my college (I am behind her 150% XD) but...I know you're supposed to get permission to show stuff. Trouble is, I don't know much about that (maybe Yasmeen does, and maybe she doesn't...I have not asked her ^_^)

I wouldn't know how to go about asking the companies, nor if we would have to pay and if we did, how much. Any knowledgeable person on here able to help me out?

Heh...last year my high school had an anime club but we just puttered around not worrying whether we were technically legal or not. And actually, maybe the school won't approve us and let us be an 'official' club, in which case we could all just pile into someone's room and watch videos without worrying about any of this stuff ;P

I told Ellek ('nother buddy who is a sophmore) about it and she was not very encouraging...she said a group had tried before to have an official club and didn't make it. Well, we can cross our fingers, and if not, at least we have a list of people who would be interested in movie nights ^_^v

Oshi
09-23-2002, 09:05 PM
Hm... I'm pretty sure you only have to ask permission if it's gonna be a big, public thing, to show it at.
If it's a private club, there should be no problem. I think.

Ali-kun
09-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Humm, really? I thought I'd seen somewhere that you did. Well, if I am wrong then of course there is no problem ;P The problem comes if the club gets big enough to count as a big public thing XD

Mei Lan Chang
09-23-2002, 10:05 PM
If it's a huge public showing, I know you have to get permission. I am a member of the Tucson Anime Screening Society in Tucson, Arizona.

Try looking on our website for information or questions. http://www.tass-anime.com/main.php

KuroBara
09-23-2002, 10:08 PM
If you're showing something for profit, you definitely need permission. If it's small showings, I wouldn't sweat too much. You could always make them unofficial in a student lounge or something.

pakachu420
09-24-2002, 03:35 AM
my friends are getting one together at my college as well so i know a little about whats going on.

it kinda depends if u want to make it an official school club or not. most schools u have to get permision to have a club on campus and show that there is a good reason to have it. if it provides something good for the school or has something to do with a subject(like art. hint hint) you should be o.k.

japanese animation
japanese=language, animation=art(i love this stuff)

Celine
09-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Well, technically, to show any anime in *public*, you should get permission. Viewing it in your room/house with a bunch of friends is fine, but if you are showing anime on a screen where anyone is welcome to come by and watch, it's considered public. Contacting companies isn't very hard- if you don't know who owns a title you have, you can always check animeondvd.com, which lists all acquisitions. Every company's website has a special contact info for video/screening permissions (sometimes you have to search around a bit, it's usually under 'press'). Usually, they just need to know your name, your club name, what you are showing, and when. Some of them require you to be a chairholder in you club, with proof of your position. Good luck!

...Oh, and one more thing, they are not always very prompt. I've had really good luck with CPM, Manga.com, and Viz for quick response, though.

Ayaka
09-24-2002, 01:00 PM
I can say that while you should get permission if you can, the Anime Police are not going to show up at your college if you're showing something to a club of 20 people or something. Our club never bothered with permission since it was entirely non-profit, and we never had more than 100 people. I'm guessing that at the big schools you guys get way more than that? Anyway, do try for permission, but I wouldn't stress about it too much.

peacecraft
09-24-2002, 01:06 PM
I've been through this with the club I used to run.

Yes, you do TECHNICALLY have to get permission if you want to make everything all nice and legal. 90% of the anime companies we dealt with gave us free blanket coverage and were terrific about it (some even offered to send us free promotional stuff). Basically this allowed us to show any of there work at any of our meeting just for asking permission that one time.

The exception to this rule (bear in mind this was in 1996, so things may be different now) was Manga. Manga demanded all sorts of stuff, like asking about each title in advance for each specific meeting and letting them know how many people would be attending, blah, blah, blah. Needless to say, we ignored them and showed their product anyway.

At the end of the day, its probably best to just ask. You may get some cool free junk out of it, and if the worst happens, and they say "no", you can always disobey them anyway. ;)

Xeno
09-24-2002, 03:01 PM
I'm in a college anime club and i can tell you that you should look into their rules and regulations before starting an organization. for my school, all that's needed is a description and purpose of the club and as long as it doesn't involve breaking any laws it's cool.

i'll add something here that they didn't cover... if you are showing anything that has not been licensed in the US yet, then all rules are off...

Oshi
09-24-2002, 03:17 PM
By all rules are off, you mean go ahead and show it, right >_>
*wants to show some FF:U at his club*

KuroBara
09-24-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Oshi
By all rules are off, you mean go ahead and show it, right >_>
*wants to show some FF:U at his club*

That should be fine. My club showed Scryed and Flame of Recca last year and no one batted an eye. Then again, Student Activities doesn't really care what we do...nor do they follow what's licensed and what's not.

Shima-Mizu
09-24-2002, 04:52 PM
I never ask for permission to show stuff at my club...I'd have to send out way too many letters and I'd probably get a few rejections that would tick me off and I'd end up showing it to my members anyway---so I figure why go through the bother of asking if it's getting shown either way?

Jibrille
09-24-2002, 05:07 PM
we had some trouble with this stuff towards the end of last semester with my anime club. some people at the college actually questioned us and were scared about copyrights and stuff but for some reason the subject seemed to drop.
the college is a bigger issue to worry about than any company finding out what you are doing probably.
least thats how it ended with us.
then again the college just loves to give us a runaround with everything anyway... freakin jerks... 'losing' the papers for our room reservation for club... and not having a tv for us.... jerks...
*ramble bitter ramble mumble*....

anyway, when we looked into what it takes to ask companies and what not its just a pain and not worth it. so we continue now like we always did and all is well. ^^