PDA

View Full Version : Harley Quinn bodysuit

Dumbledork
10-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey, I'm doing a Harley Quinn suit (my first ever realy cosplay!) and I'm almost done except for the cowl.

My current problem is, I have a lycra one piece (long sleeve & full leg) as the base of my costume but as far as I know lycra wont dye... and to make it worse my body suit is flourescent green!

Is there anyway to cover this? I've heard about people using spray on Latex to colour costumes, would that work in this case? And where can I get spray on Latex in red and black?!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Kamikaze_TIE
10-18-2008, 11:51 AM
You definately DON'T want to spray paint the costume! I've never tried dying lycra. My best suggestion would be to go to a fabric store, buy a small piece of lycra in as close in color to what you have and try dying it. If you don't want to do that, buy the lycra in the color(s) you want your costume in and have another made. If you want part of it in the color you already have, a good seamstress should be able to take what you have and cut it, add what you want in the color you purchase. If you don't get what I'm talking about, contact me at Familytreeclimber@Yahoo.com I can try to explain it better.

Dumbledork
10-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks, that helps :)

Sarcasm-hime
10-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Umm...you have a bodysuit but it's fluorescent green, and you want it to be red and black? Sorry, but you need a new suit. There is NO way that dyeing will work; dye is translucent so it adds to the existing colour. Green + red = mud.

Honestly, the way to make this costume is to either buy two bodysuits (red and black) and cut them apart and piece them together, or just get a pattern for a bodysuit and make your own using red and black spandex; in this case you'd draw out the colour division lines on the pattern beforehand.

KittyCanuck
10-18-2008, 07:24 PM
or just get a pattern for a bodysuit and make your own using red and black spandex

Or you could use your green bodysuit as the pattern, since you already have it.

Hee-Hee
10-18-2008, 08:51 PM
KittyCanuck has a great idea-- cut apart the bodysuit you have at the seams and use it as a pattern! You'll save yourself a little money that way, since you'll be buying new fabric.

Dumbledork
10-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Erm yeah, I can't do that. I sew like a drunken monkey with no eyes. Making the neck piece was a mission enough and that's cotton >__<
I've got a red bodysuit now. I just need to black out parts of it. Will fabric paints work on lycra or not?