PDA

View Full Version : indie web & paper comics

AmazonPrincess
07-16-2003, 01:44 AM
I know people have been posting a lot about the obscure costumes in some of the other threads... but who's done some indie costumes. I've got two that I want to work on, one of them isn't going to be hard at all, since the character dresses very real like. And that's Katchoo, from Strangers In Paradise. (One of my favoriteist comics in the whole wide world!!!!) I just LOVE Katchoo, and wanna run around as her somewhere, someday.. *^_^* But another one I want to do is from this little toddler of a webcomic, Entropy Kid. And the character is Soroko, she's really cute, with the aumsing t-shirts and big ole boots and funky purple hair with wires in it.. I don't really know how'd I'd do her... but someday I'll figure it out. *looks at her list of costumes* It's going to be a while until I can get to her though! *smiles* Sooo many costumes to get through! by the time I get to it she'll be mainstream! (j/k)
but if you wanna check it out here's the linkage
Entropy Kid (http://www.entropykid.com/)

JustinCredible
07-16-2003, 01:03 PM
I would love to see a good katchoo! :loves Strangers In Paradise Too!:

I want to do Static... although I guess he's more mainstream now with the cartoon 'Static Shock'... but that isn't the 'REAL' Static... from the comic... so I guess thats still Obscure....

AmazonPrincess
07-16-2003, 09:27 PM
I haven't actually read the comic for Static. But YAY! for SIP lovers!! You're now really cool in my book
(not many people I know read SIP)

duck
07-16-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure if David Mack's Kabuki is considered "indie" anymore, but Ice is one of my "I really want to figure this out" costumes.

http://www.oddhatter.net/costumes/research/ice.jpg

JustinCredible
07-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by AmazonPrincess
I haven't actually read the comic for Static. But YAY! for SIP lovers!! You're now really cool in my book
(not many people I know read SIP)

I try to lend people my SIP trades to get them hooked. The quality speaks for itself when it compells those who have read it my issues to go out and buy those same issues for themselves!

As for Static... yeah its mostly going to be in $1 bins... but its way better than the cartoon... tackles some great issues... If it caught on it could have been the new age Spiderman...

AmazonPrincess
07-17-2003, 02:07 PM
mmmmm... Kabuki... I've only gotten to read one book of that. Which makes me sad, I want more.

and most comics are better than their cartoons. It's just general principle.

Sarcasm-hime
07-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Heeeee, Kabuki. I *love* Kabuki. As evidenced by my Snapdragon costume. I'd also love to do Ice, but yeah it would be a LOT of work. Plus I've got 5 million other costumes I want to do.

I used to read SiP religiously, but the whole cheesy mafia storyline really puts me off. I wish he'd just stick to what he does best, interesting characters and personal relationships.

Other comics I'm nuts about: Promethea (another costume I wanna do), League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (SOOOOO much better than the cheesy movie), Blade of the Immortal (pics of my Hyakurin costume are in my gallery) and Finder (http://www.lightspeedpress.com/), one of the best comics out there and one that nobody seems to have heard of.

AmazonPrincess
07-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Blade of the Immortal is an awesome comic, and I've had Promethea reccomended to me, but haven't picked it up yet.

I still found the characters in SIP to be interesting through the mafia thing. I like Darcy Parker, she's a total bitch, but she knows how to run her stuff.

'So Darcy, what's with the tattoo?' 'Which one?' 'On your ankle' 'That's a lily, MY Lily.' "What do you mean, YOUR Lily?' 'It's my symbol. My BRAND. I put it on everything I own.' 'I've seen it on the legs of some of the girls here.' 'Like I said, EVERYTHING I own!'

*chuckles*

JustinCredible
07-17-2003, 09:33 PM
I've only read up to Trade 6... which is the huge High School flashback... If you are refering to what happens before that.... yeah I love it!

Darcy Parker... not so great, but David... yeah!