PDA

View Full Version : Death the Kid wig (a sort of tutorial!)

Miyabi-
10-19-2008, 11:22 PM
This isn't really a "hey guys I need help" thread but it's more of a "Eureka I found it! and want to share!" thread. ^_^
I know in the past there have been a few threads on how to do this wig and I was planning on using this and the method to make a wig for a friend so I thought I'd share my ideas and that it might be helpful:

Hot Topic has put out clip in hair extensions in black and white stripes! They're not very thick but if you cut each one in half and made a weft out of the cut off parts and attached it to clips like the tops of the originals it could possibly work!

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302028580&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442189199&bmUID=1224470263056
They're not very wide but you could possibly cut each one in half and make wefts. ^_^
Here's a pic of all the angles of DtK's hair:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/jeanedwar/LiveJounal%202008/02%20Feb/kid_miyano.jpg

Once you make the wefts you can clip it just underneath the top layer of the wig's hair (so you're not sticking the clip on top.)
Then, cut the hair on the top of the wig to where the ends meet the start of the first white stripe. (I'd use a razor comb so it's more natural)
Comb it down and blend it into the striped wefts.
Spray with hairspray and you're done!

NetBelleAnie
10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
There's a much easier way. Mask off areas of the wig/your hair to remain black, and use white hairspray where needed. Or if you don't like tape, make a stencil with paper.

Lothlin
10-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Personally, I think Miyabi's discovery is going to look loads better than white hairspray ^^;

Miyabi-
10-20-2008, 12:36 AM
There's a much easier way. Mask off areas of the wig/your hair to remain black, and use white hairspray where needed. Or if you don't like tape, make a stencil with paper.

Yeeeah white hairspray tends to look crunchy and flakes off unless you hairspray it to death. Flaking off on Kid's black outfit would just look like he had dandruff..lol
This way looks much much more natural and won't gunk up your wig. ^_^

Bahzi
10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Personally, I think Miyabi's discovery is going to look loads better than white hairspray ^^;

Agreed, colored hairsrpay is disgusting, and something you don't ever want to get near a wig, or near a costume for that matter. It always looks clumpy and gross, and flakes off. I really like the solution Miyabi found, that would actually look really nice.

DesertLily
10-20-2008, 01:13 AM
This isn't really a "hey guys I need help" thread but it's more of a "Eureka I found it! and want to share!" thread. ^_^
I know in the past there have been a few threads on how to do this wig and I was planning on using this and the method to make a wig for a friend so I thought I'd share my ideas and that it might be helpful:

Hot Topic has put out clip in hair extensions in black and white stripes! They're not very thick but if you cut each one in half and made a weft out of the cut off parts and attached it to clips like the tops of the originals it could possibly work!

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/store/product.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302028580&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442189199&bmUID=1224470263056
They're not very wide but you could possibly cut each one in half and make wefts. ^_^

Once you make the wefts you can clip it just underneath the top layer of the wig's hair (so you're not sticking the clip on top.)
Then, cut the hair on the top of the wig to where the ends meet the start of the first white stripe. (I'd use a razor comb so it's more natural)
Comb it down and blend it into the striped wefts.
Spray with hairspray and you're done!

Glad to see someone found a good use for those hideous raccoon tail extensions! Those would work GREAT for Death the Kid.

navigated
10-20-2008, 01:44 PM
While it is an excellent solution, my concern is over the fiber quality. I have some of these extensions myself, and they're really party wig quality, though it might not be too noticeable when you have it in a nicer wig.

There's really no point to this post other than pointing this out.

Miyabi-
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
You think so? I pulled them out and didn't think they felt as bad as a party wig. They didn't seem to have that cheapy shine to them like party wigs either.
Seeing as how you really don't need to use heat on them or dye them they'd blend into a regular wig just fine. It would work okay if you clip them underneath and cut the hair on top of your wig to blend in with them.

navigated
10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know if because mine aren't the striped or gradiated ones, maybe they're just different quality, but mine are pretty partywig esque. Not nearly as frizzy as a bad party wig, but decidedly plasticy. But like you said, it'd probably be fine since it's not going to make an ENTIRE wig out of those fibers.

Lothlin
10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Sometimes extensions are slightly lower quality than straight wig hair across the board, I've noticed; Maybe they're toyokolan instead of kanekolan? I bought some extensions from sally to make a stringfall and they're a little lower quality than I'm used to, but they don't look too bad. Same deal maybe?

Miyabi-
10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Hmm..I'll be going back up there on Friday. I'll take a peek at the back of the package to see if it tells what the fibers are and I'll post and let you all know for sure. ^_^

Lothlin
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I checked the fibers, the package said they were modacrylic and polyester (I forget what the percentage was on each though, definately more of the modacrylic.)

Kasy_C.
10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Wow, that would have made it a whole lot easier! I could have used those in my real hair and saved buying a wig all together! Oh well, I already have my wig made... but I may buy some of those just for my own amusement. ^_^

EmoSasuke
11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
..Miyabi. Please don't take this in a creepy stalker way, because I swear I'm not, but..

I think I may have just fallen in love with you. XD

Seriously! I have been losing sleep over how to do DtK's wig, because I thought I could reuse a short black wig I have, but I did not want to use the spray method. Too bad I didn't stumble upon this earlier to get to hot topic and buy them before Halloween was over - I don't know if they'll still have them in stores, but I suppose I can always order online. Uwaa~ As soon as I get some money, I will start on this post haste. Thanks very much for posting this!

[As an aside: Are you the same Miyabi that ran the crossplay panel at Ohayo last year? If you are, you were really great fun to talk to! ^_^ Will you be attending Ohayo again this year?]

EDIT: I fail, and didn't read your signature until after I posted this. I'll look forward to seeing you there and hopefully chatting some more! ^_^

AndoMasanobu
11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
dagger! figures they would put these out now! this is actually something i had tried when i was doing samples for my dtk. i had bought white extension a was planning of sewing them into the wig and blacking out the stripes but i couldn't find a method of adding the black to it and having it match the black of my wig.
i would never suggest using white hairspray though, in my samples that came out so nasty, it would ruin a wig for sure. my finished wig was done with tape and thin layers of white spray paint. it came out better then i could have hoped for. if these extensions aren't that horrible of a quality i really hope they help others out when it comes to this wig in the future.
~aoi

Miyabi-
11-12-2008, 07:12 PM
..Miyabi. Please don't take this in a creepy stalker way, because I swear I'm not, but..

I think I may have just fallen in love with you. XD

Seriously! I have been losing sleep over how to do DtK's wig, because I thought I could reuse a short black wig I have, but I did not want to use the spray method. Too bad I didn't stumble upon this earlier to get to hot topic and buy them before Halloween was over - I don't know if they'll still have them in stores, but I suppose I can always order online. Uwaa~ As soon as I get some money, I will start on this post haste. Thanks very much for posting this!

[As an aside: Are you the same Miyabi that ran the crossplay panel at Ohayo last year? If you are, you were really great fun to talk to! ^_^ Will you be attending Ohayo again this year?]

EDIT: I fail, and didn't read your signature until after I posted this. I'll look forward to seeing you there and hopefully chatting some more! ^_^

Daww! You're so sweet! No stalkerishness taken! ^_^ Yup..that was me and hopefully I'll be running that panel again this year too. Come say hi and let me know who you are!
If you're doing Soul Eater cosplay for Ohayo I'll be running around as Chrona at some point that weekend!
I really hope you get your wig done how you want to! Good luck!

Miyabi-
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
dagger! figures they would put these out now! this is actually something i had tried when i was doing samples for my dtk. i had bought white extension a was planning of sewing them into the wig and blacking out the stripes but i couldn't find a method of adding the black to it and having it match the black of my wig.
i would never suggest using white hairspray though, in my samples that came out so nasty, it would ruin a wig for sure. my finished wig was done with tape and thin layers of white spray paint. it came out better then i could have hoped for. if these extensions aren't that horrible of a quality i really hope they help others out when it comes to this wig in the future.
~aoi

Sorry to bump the thread after this long but that idea would work very well too! If you bought pre-wefted white extensions you could color the white ones black.
I'd try the FW ink method for color though since black Sharpie on white wig tends to turn a kind of greenish tint after a while.
Ooor even try a combo of those two coloring methods. I've heard people say they've had good results from Copic markers as well!

Bahzi
01-05-2009, 01:06 AM
I've heard people say they've had good results from Copic markers as well!

I'd just like to add, a cool thing about using Copic marker ink, is that you don't even have to buy the $5 marker, you can just buy a refill, which has enough ink as 6-8 markers for about the same price!

MelonPlay
01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Wait . . . . does that mean I can color a white or blonde wig BLACK with the copic ink method? I'd love to cosplay as Jasdebi but I have a lot of trouble with his wig and that weird design on his hair x.x
so, can I use the copic marker ink method to draw this weird design on his hair?

Miyabi-
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm not so sure about doing designs on top. It might not show up as much....
With a wig like Death the Kid's you could color the wefts black before you sew them in and could work in small incriments.
I'm not sure how an all over design job would go...you might want to check out Gankoutsu (sp?) aka Count of Montecristo threads. I'm pretty sure there are characters in that series that have patterns in their hair as well. (Hayadee does I believe)

Meeltjuh
02-19-2009, 03:50 PM
noooes they're sold out!

Guess I'll try the 'painting the white extensions' method then

Teekchan
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
I just wanted to say a big "Thank you!" to the creator of this thread.

I found some of the same hair extensions at an 'Ardene's' at the mall, and used this method to great success. <3

wolfiegurl_lb
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm just curious and have absolutely no wig experience, But what about using the white wefts and layering them under the black parts. Kind of like what you did for the Hot Topic clip-ins, but done three times.

Convulsive
05-31-2011, 12:14 PM
I just used acrylic paint and tape, and it came out great. It's less of a hassle and WAY cheaper than HT's extensions.

pokkypok
06-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Has anyone tried this method? I'd love to see pics on how it turned out :D

KenjiiAtosh
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
im kind of slow... i dont exactly understand how to weft the hair and how to do it.

someone made their wig completely stiff/solid and spray painted/dyed it - it turned out really good in my opinion. Plus it kept it straight for symmetry.

oh, and i have a black wig, just randomly. im not sure if i can use it, i need to style it but i dont know if the bangs are long enough.... i'll try to upload a pic when i can.

KenjiiAtosh
06-23-2011, 12:11 AM
here are a few pictures of my wig, can this be styled? im worried the bangs are to short... ideas?

and yes, that owuld be my star wars build-a-bear in picture 3

http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/ICryBlackInk/?action=view&current=wig3.jpg#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs123 1.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee503%2FICryBlackInk% 2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dwig1.jpg

http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/ICryBlackInk/?action=view&current=wig3.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs123 1.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee503%2FICryBlackInk% 2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dwig2.jpg

http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/ICryBlackInk/?action=view&current=wig3.jpg

auburnsky
07-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I've been wondering, when you use acrylic paint to make the stripes, do they come off the wig if it's a synthetic wig? Or does the wig have to forever remain a wig specifically for Kid? Because I have a black wig that I'm using for an Izaya cosplay, so I don't want it to get ruined.