PDA

View Full Version : Belphegor's tiara?

Uraya
10-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Uh, so I'm being Belphegor from Katekyo Hitman Reborn for halloween, and so far it's coming along pretty well. I'm stuck on his tiara though, it looks like this:

http://picvan.zjol.com.cn/UserDir/reborn/Big/Belphegor.jpg

My dad just got me a ginormous piece of sheet metal for it, but I attempted cutting it with scissors and I don't think scissors will survive a foe like that. And I don't know how I'm supposed to morph it into a dainty little tiara.

So, um, does anybody have suggestions on how to cut and create patterns on sheet metal? D8 I really want to make it out of a metallic substance, not clay or craft foam.

Thanks in advance~

Duh-chan
10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Did you ever consider just buying a tiara? Metal sheet, if you don't know how to work with it, is going to be alot more trouble that it's worth. Even if you do know how, you might not get the results you want. Sorry, I have no backing here if you need pointers on a 'how-to', I'm just saying that you're going for the more difficult route. oo

Uraya
10-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I saw tiaras on sale, but I didn't feel comfortable about buying them because they're super-inaccurate(they're covered with crystals) and also super-expensive. D8;; So I decided to make my own. Which isn't working out too well.

If sheet metal is too difficult, can anybody suggest like a softer form of metal I can shape? I know there's some kind of weird metallic substance that's not as flimsy and tacky as aluminum foil, but not as stiff as sheet metal. I can emboss it and everything, but I don't know where to find it or what it's called. I just know there's a sheet in this Art book on sale, and I don't want to buy an entire art book just for an extra sheet of metal. 8c

benihime
10-21-2008, 10:32 PM
well to throw another suggestion at you, my friend made her belphagor tiara from sculpy. it looked beautiful!
and you can always make it more shiny/metallic by using rub n buff and spraypaint

but here's her cosplay
http://elemental-photography.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=82&pos=24

Duh-chan
10-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Ah, true. Welllll, maybe you can use an aluminum pie tray? Or any other aluminum tray? They're not a flimsy as foil and it's pretty stiff, yet maliable. (depending on it's quality or brand) I got that idea while washing the dishes, and I seeing an alumium tray sitting on the breakfast nook. 8P

Uraya
10-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Hmm, yes, I guess I could try sculpy. 8O It looks really good in the photos! I remember I considered it, but then I wondered whether it would be too heavy. xD Was it heavy or light for your friend?

And oh yessss pie trays 8D! My dad suggested it to me before getting the sheet metal, but I was worried whether people would laugh at me because my tiara was made from a pie tray...how come I worry so much krjfeferlk

I guess I'll experiment with both. ^__^ And my mom had a fit when she saw the ginormous sheet metal, lol. She was all like, "OH MY GOD NO IT'LL CUT YOUR HEAD OPEN *bend bend bend*"

benihime
10-22-2008, 04:19 AM
it was pretty light yeah, i got to touch it XD
but she said she said she baked it for a few minutes and then curved it. actually i tried to do something like that, only bake it for like a minute and then curve it

Uraya
10-24-2008, 11:12 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/24chxjo.png

I tried it with the pie pan because I found a pie pan lying around. XD It's still a work in progress but could you give me crits/comments on how it is so far?

Duh-chan
10-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Oh dang, that's pretty sweet. 8O I think it's good so far, you just need to smooth it out and straighten out the edges.

kimuhalu
10-25-2008, 01:04 AM
:O That's beautiful. Don't be afraid to try using weird things for stuff... like this pie pan. :D

Ayase~
10-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Awesome looking pie pan tiara! :D I reckon I wouldn't have been able to guess it was made from a pie pan.

Uraya
10-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Lolol thanks guys ^^ I just finished my *~*pie pan tiara*~*. Turned out better than I thought it would...I was scared I would utterly screw up. Don't have a picture right now but I'll post my costume up for critique when I'm done with the whole thing.

Kanky
12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Umm Hello
I'm gonna cosplay Belphegor and I need a little help with the tiara
Any advise how can I make it stay on my head?(I made it out from sculpy)

Taejira
12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
For future reference, you can cut the sheet metal with a jewelry saw pretty easily :3 Then just file the edges and sand it smooth & shiny so it doesn't poke anyone's eye out and stuff. Jewelry saws aren't hard to come by and the blades are pretty cheap, but you need a few because the break easily. Then all you really need to do is trace the design you want onto the metal, cut it out, and voila! It may take a few tries to get used to using the saw though so you might want to practice on scrap metal first.

(If you're only ever going to make one prop out of metal, though, buying a jewelry saw might not be that economical XD I'd only do this if you plan to work with sheet metal a lot.)

strawberryuke
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM
ooo the tiara came out awesome so far. did you ever finish it completely? oh and did you use regular scissors for cutting the pie pan D:

Ichibi
12-29-2008, 02:46 PM
i made my tiara out of wire, sculpy and silver paint.
then i attached the grippy bit of a cheap 1 store tiara to the bottom to fit it.
Hope that helps anyone
And @Strawberryuke - they will cut but will be a nightmare to cut with. your best getting proper scissors for sheet metal