PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Sandals

Kohana
07-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Does anybody have any idea how to make the sandals they wear in Naruto??? I had a couple ideas of trying to make some type of a cover for the sandal but I really have no idea how to go about it. Help please!
Thanks in advance :D

trabus
07-16-2003, 02:03 PM
There's about 2 different types of sandals that I've seen in the manga/anime, most of them have a seam on top of the foot. I made mine as 3 pieces that all wrap and meet in the back. The best way to make a pattern for them is to lay some paper over your own foot and make adjustments as you go. The bottom part should start at the beginning of your toes and stop right before your ankle, and have enough fabric at the toe part to fold back to make a band (I put a strip of craft foam in it to give it some shape). The middle part should stop just above your ankle. The top part should simply be a band around the top of your ankle.
I made mine from a very stretchy spandex type material, one that I could easily put on like a sock. I used sandals with only a strap on the top of the foot, and hot glued the the bottom of the cover onto the sandal.

I can draw a scaled pattern for you later if you would like.

Hope that helps. :)

Kohana
07-16-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanx for the help... and if u can draw the pattern I will be forever sing your praises! Now to find spandex and i'll be set!... Thanx again

trabus
07-17-2003, 03:20 AM
I had a friend's birthday party tonight, so I wasn't able to make the pattern for you yet, but I will do my best to get it done tomorrow night. :)

cutekawaii
07-17-2003, 08:37 PM
I covered a pair of sandles.

pic: http://moonglow.nu/nikkichan/cygnenoir/costumes/fin/shino1.jpg
http://moonglow.nu/nikkichan/cygnenoir/costumes/fin/shinojer.jpg

twas a commission.

Anne Packrat
07-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Payless Shoes had a good pair of sandals on sale. They were Men's sandals so if you're female then subtract a size and a half or two sizes. Then glue, blue fabric, and thread worked for me.

trabus
07-18-2003, 12:02 AM
Heres the pattern (Men's size 10) at 50% scale.
http://www.trabusproject.com/images/costumes/sandal_pattern.gif

You will probably need to adjust the pattern to fit your shoe size, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I would try it as a paper pattern first.
Basic instructions:
1. sew the base and the ankle together. (the ankle strip will be longer than the base due to poor measuring on my part. Just trim off the excess and it should work fine. )
2. sew the back of the connected pieces together, making a sock-like shape.
3. cut out a square strip of craft foam measuring 1.5"x7.5"
4. fold the toe cuff in half over the strip of craft foam and sew it inside.
5. sew the toe cuff to the toe edge of the base.
6. roll the ankle cuff so when it is flattened it measures 1.5 inches wide. (make sure you have at least a quarter inch leftover to sew to the base)
7. sew the ankle cuff to the base.
8. fold the bottom edge of the base in about a quarter inch, then sew along the bottom edge of the base to finish it.
9. hot glue the bottom of the base the sandal (make sure you've adjusted them to fit before gluing).
10. enjoy your sandals.

baku_neko
07-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Wow! That's super awesome trabus! Thanks for posting that! ^____^

Kohana
07-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks for everything Trabus... you're the coolest!!!!

SharinganDesign
10-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I am currently talking with the manga writers of Naruto to get the rights to make an official pair of sandals, down to the last decorative stitch. I will let you know if this little project of mine gets off the ground.

Kohana
10-09-2003, 07:55 PM
That is so cool... but I'm guessing it would be pretty expensive

Willy Chang
12-23-2003, 02:26 AM
Um hi I'm a new user and my name is willy chang And I have some small issues and problems... How do you make the Naruto Headband???!!! The headband that cutekawaii looks so cool!!! I mean what's the materials needed and how do you make one??? Can somebody write instructions down??? If they do I really appreciate it!!!

Mako-san
12-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Hay Willy Chang here is a thread about the head protectors

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=26215

yukitoLeonheart
12-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Do you guys want to know a few methods that work really well.

Easiest one ever........ Get dark blue tape and $15 boots from payless. Cut off the front and use the blue tape to get the rugged and blue look. Then paint the bottom of the boot to match the color. It works VERY well. YOu have to alter the boots height, but this technique is easy, comfortable, and looks amazing.

There is a secret to doing the headbands too...... but that is far tougher

Willy Chang
12-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Yo thanx Mako-san I really appreciate it!!! :thumbsup:

Tevina
02-17-2004, 09:11 PM
oh oh oh!! I made some Naruto shoesies!! Look at mah piccies! www.geocities.com/torn_angel9264/feet Do they look like em!? I'm cosplaying Kurenai so I did black instead of blue, hehe.

Sakoiya
02-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Heh, for mine i just got a pair of shoes that people wear when they have casts. And im going to wrap some blue fabric around it.

baku_neko
02-27-2004, 10:47 AM
oh oh oh!! I made some Naruto shoesies!! Look at mah piccies! www.geocities.com/torn_angel9264/feet Do they look like em!? I'm cosplaying Kurenai so I did black instead of blue, hehe.

What method did you use? Those look really good.

Tevina
03-02-2004, 10:02 PM
hehe thnx! All i did was buy a pair of sandals wit the top covered and bought a matching pair of socks n snipped away at the heel and front of the sock n bam! There u go. lol.

baku_neko
03-19-2004, 12:05 AM
hehe thnx! All i did was buy a pair of sandals wit the top covered and bought a matching pair of socks n snipped away at the heel and front of the sock n bam! There u go. lol.

What do you mean wit the top coverd. When I look at your pics, it looks all like one whole sandal. I can't tell where the sandal top starts and where your sock parts show....

Daala
03-19-2004, 08:05 AM
that's what we did, took some cheap sandels and covered them up >> Shoes - Images (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=81494&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2)

Kurai Kaze
03-19-2004, 03:18 PM
I got a very tall pair of Golashes at the local Goodwill for six bucks. I'm cutting off the top to compensate for height, then I'm using the extra material from the former boot tops along with contact cement to creat the extra folds and such over the rims. I've not quite figured out how to paint them though. Pretty hard black leather. Any ideas, anyone?

KakashisAngel
03-22-2004, 02:28 AM
is there anyway you can make a pair for me i want to cosplay as kakashi*drools*

Zirofax
03-22-2004, 03:38 PM

That's really cool! It turned out really well! I need to do something similar for my Temari Shoes. ^^

Tevina
04-10-2004, 12:32 AM
=D I guess you can't really tell where the sock and shoe are seperate cuz they're both the same color black. lol.

allyunion
04-10-2004, 05:31 AM
They look very nice! I give it a 5 star rating, par excellence.

Devi Dark Wolf
12-06-2004, 04:56 AM
Awesome pattern and directions, trabus, you saved my LIFE from the destruction of those shoes. XD

Devi

Mokona Plushie
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
For winter I am currently using a pair of socks that I dye blue and then I will sandals and cover the straps in blue duck tape...for now it works. I just don't want to get my shoe covers wet and such.

lilithbunny
03-01-2005, 03:56 PM
A little more advanced than sock over sandal, but very quick version of the naruto sandals.

Cotton Duck + Cheap Flip Flops + Hot Glue + Upholstery Tacks = Naruto Sandal.

I've made 5 pair of Naruto sandals and I've tried the sock over a pair of sandals thing. Ugh! The sock thing is more expensive and doesn't look nearly as nice.
1. Find yourself some cotton duck (it's a heavy, shoe-quality outdoor fabric) at the local fabric store (half a yard 'll do ya)
2. Find yourself the cheapest pair of flip-flops in your size either in the correct color, or paint them; cut off the toe thong (if doing sand village sandals do not cut off toe thong and do not make toe cuff )
3. Aquire upholstery tacks in the right color, or paint them (remember to sand metal before painting so the paint sticks)

Assembly:
1. Cut out two roughly 16"x16" (bigger if your feet are big) squares of duck.
2. Place your foot on its side in the middleish of square (leaving plenty of room to roll down the cuff at the ankle and enough to go around the back of your ankle)
3. trace around foot and bottom of leg
4. stitch along the line at the top of your foot from right behind where your toes are to the corner where your leg and foot meet; trim seam
5. turn shoe inside-out; stitch along top of foot line from end of fabric at toe-end to right behind toes and from corner of ankle to top of fabric (this is so when you roll the cuffs at the toes and ankle, you don't have a raw seam showing);trim seam
6. put foot in "shoe" and squeeze fabric together to determine where the back seam will be, allow enough room to be able to slide foot through ankle opening, trace
7. stitch back seam from top of fabric to even with corner of ankle, flip shoe inside-out, stitch back seam from bottom of fabric to even with corner of ankle; trim seams; flip shoe inside-out again
8.put on cotton duck "shoe", put flip flop sole on the bottom of your foot and stick upholstery tacks through cotton duck and foam sole to secure --this is where you tug down the cotton duck so you get a nice tight fit so you don't have a loosey-goosey wobbly shoe and determine placement of seams, etc
9. roll end of toe of shoe back for toe cuff (trim if necessary) and reposition uphostery tacks to secure; with upholstery tacks still in, remove shoe
10. trim bottom of cotton shoe about 1/2" from bottom of sole and remove upholstery tacks
11. fold up bottom of shoe 1/2 inch, stitch the fold in place, and hot glue to flip flop sole
12. I like to further secure top of shoes to sole with upholstery tacks (probably not necessary, but sometimes I'm a stickler for durability)
13. roll down ankle cuff and trim fabric if necessary
14. put on sandal, run around feeling like half a ninja, repeat steps for other sandal

The result is a very professional-looking, well-fitting, long-lasting pair of Naruto sandals that I made for about $4.50 a pop ($1 for flip-flops, $2.50 for cotton duck, $1 for upholstery tacks) and it took me a little over an hour to make a pair the first time. Next time I make a pair, I'll take process pics if people wanna see 'em.

These are pics of the shoes I made for Temari in about a half hour. They're a bit different: they are black, don't have a front toe cuff, have a toe thong, the top seam lines up with the big toe, and I didn't secure with upholstery tacks (but they've held up just fine).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/lilithbunny/IMG_0031.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/lilithbunny/IMG_0032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/lilithbunny/IMG_0033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/lilithbunny/IMG_0035.jpg

Shattered_Angel
03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
I had a friend's birthday party tonight, so I wasn't able to make the pattern for you yet, but I will do my best to get it done tomorrow night. :)
Hey is there any way I can get that pattern too. Thanks a bunch ^_^\/

trabus
03-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Hey is there any way I can get that pattern too. Thanks a bunch ^_^\/
lol, look down a couple posts. I replied to them the next day.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=355279&postcount=7

TMPikachu
03-02-2005, 10:25 PM
are they 'functional' though? Not that it really matters, but are they comfortable, and can you run in them decently (not floppin' around)?

trabus
03-03-2005, 06:19 AM
are they 'functional' though? Not that it really matters, but are they comfortable, and can you run in them decently (not floppin' around)?

If you use the right materials, yeah. A heavier, neoprene-like material would do the job pretty well (though you'd probably want something a bit more breathable than neoprene). It also depends on what kind of sandals you use for the base. If you can secure the cover to the sandals in a way that won't fall apart (the best way would probably be to seperate the sole from the base, then glue the fabric inbetween them), then yeah, you should be able to run around in them without flopping around and they'll probably be pretty comfortable too.

If your first pair doesn't meet your standard of functionality, just make another pair, correcting the mistakes from your first one. Isn't that what cosplay is about anyhow? ;)

Shattered_Angel
03-03-2005, 07:47 AM
lol, look down a couple posts. I replied to them the next day.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=355279&postcount=7

Ooops hehe sowy bout that but thanks alot too ^^\/

Rinpu
03-04-2005, 10:54 AM
A little more advanced than sock over sandal, but very quick version of the naruto sandals...Next time I make a pair, I'll take process pics if people wanna see 'em.

I'd love to see progress pics, Lilithbunny! Your shoes look awesome--some of the best I've seen. I'm going as a Naruto character for Animazement (late May). Is there any chance you'll be making any more before then?

lilithbunny
03-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Absolutely, I've got to make two more pair before Acen (mid may); one for my little brother who grew out of his last pair and another for my new roomie. (HA HA, I've have entangled him in the web of ninja cosplay!) However, I've been wanting to just make a pair to (as geeky as it sounds) wear around town. So, hand-in-hand with my new digital camera, expect me to post complete instructions with pictures sometime in the next two weeks. (And if I don't, yell at me.)

Rinpu
03-05-2005, 05:18 PM
So, hand-in-hand with my new digital camera, expect me to post complete instructions with pictures sometime in the next two weeks. (And if I don't, yell at me.)

Sounds great! I'll be looking forward to it! ^^

lilithbunny
03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Hooray! Blue Naruto sandals are finished and website with step-by-step pictures and instructions is coming soon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/lilithbunny/Sandals068.jpg

caineyamiyasha
03-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Those are really good how did you conect the material to the sandal I have been trying to figure out a way to do that besides staples~

caineyamiyasha
03-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Hooray! Blue Naruto sandals are finished and website with step-by-step pictures and instructions is coming soon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/lilithbunny/Sandals068.jpg

can you send me the link to the web site when you have it up? please pm me~

Valgaav_Xellos
03-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Hey, um ok I have no sewing/costume-making talents at all @_@; So if any of you guys are interested in doing black Kakashi shoes for me, please let me know~! ^_^ (PM me or IM me at puchi kitai) If any of you could help I'd GREATLY appreciate it! ^_^
Thanks! :D

Valgaav_Xellos
03-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Well, I figured out how to do the shoes for Kakashi at least... I bought plain black legwarmers from Hot Topic and a cheap pair of sandals from Payless... I just slipped the legwarmer over the shoe and voila. Ghetto shoes. XD

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/HyperActvElf/IMG_2076.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/HyperActvElf/IMG_2074.jpg

Kyubi13
03-24-2005, 09:53 AM
whoah wit that idea im saved thank you allot :bigtu:

niphrodel
03-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Heres the pattern (Men's size 10) at 50% scale.
http://www.trabusproject.com/images/costumes/sandal_pattern.gif

You will probably need to adjust the pattern to fit your shoe size, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I would try it as a paper pattern first.
Basic instructions:
1. sew the base and the ankle together. (the ankle strip will be longer than the base due to poor measuring on my part. Just trim off the excess and it should work fine. )
2. sew the back of the connected pieces together, making a sock-like shape.
3. cut out a square strip of craft foam measuring 1.5"x7.5"
4. fold the toe cuff in half over the strip of craft foam and sew it inside.
5. sew the toe cuff to the toe edge of the base.
6. roll the ankle cuff so when it is flattened it measures 1.5 inches wide. (make sure you have at least a quarter inch leftover to sew to the base)
7. sew the ankle cuff to the base.
8. fold the bottom edge of the base in about a quarter inch, then sew along the bottom edge of the base to finish it.
9. hot glue the bottom of the base the sandal (make sure you've adjusted them to fit before gluing).
10. enjoy your sandals.

Ok... I'm definitely some kind of moron because I've been sitting here for the past half hour trying to figure out how to do the first step... where do I sew the base and the ankle together? I've tried a few different ways but I have a feeling it's wrong... do you sew the 3.5" parts together, or something different that i'm missing? Sorry...

lilithbunny
03-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Okay, okay. I get the message. Naruto Sandal tutorial website will be up ASAP.

Devi Dark Wolf
03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
I used trabus' pattern and a fantastic dark blue stretchy nylon fabric I got from a wholesale fabric district shop. It's basically swimsuit material. This will give your fabric the stretch it needs to really look like a "slip-in" sandal.

I tried buying elastic fabric becuase a regular stitch will close up the seams and not allow it to stretch. I have heard you need to use a zig-zag stitch to get it to stretch and allow it enough give to slip your foot in.

Devi

ash_chan
05-06-2005, 02:57 PM
@.@ I'm having trouble following all these instructions...I'm trying to make Tenten Sandals for FanimeCon...it's my very first cosplay...o.o;;...I already boucht a pair of cheap flip-flops...now what?

lilithbunny
05-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Go buy some sturdy fabric in the right color (I like to use cotton duck), a hot glue gun, & upholstery tacks

janmurphy
05-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Well, it would seem that the Japanese Naruto cosplayers have the SAME question! This months cosmode actually had a 'how to make Naruto sandels' panel. 4 easy steps. But all it was was the sock in a sandle idea. You know, cut the toe out and fold the top to make it puffy, then put foot in sandel. =3 Good ideas have no language barrier eh?
Wanna see my very abused ninja shoes? Poor things get painted everytime I stwich villages. They started blue, got painted black, back to blue ect ect. Theyll prolly stay black now the poor things.
I did the thing where you buy some shoes that look about right and take a HUGE exacto knife and cut off the toe of the shoe. Was easy peasy, parental supervision required. =3

XalabasterX
05-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Can anyone here clarify Trabus' directions? I'm having a very hard time interpreting them.

Armless Wookiee
05-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Help i really don't know how to sew at all and i need help with my sandals don't know where to start

Elycium
05-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Can anyone here clarify Trabus' directions? I'm having a very hard time interpreting them.
I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting them myself...

oi, Trabus! any chance of mayb clarifying things a bit? ~_^

Masahito
05-31-2005, 02:57 PM
Does anyone have a Pic of Trabus's Naruto Sandal desighn? i wana know what it looks like :) if you do plz post soon,going to A-Kon on Thursday and i dont have much time!

CyniclonJ
05-31-2005, 03:07 PM
I just spent two hours on Ebay and I think I saw some

Ushi
05-31-2005, 06:52 PM
This thread is in the process of saving my life. Though I have a year to figure out how to make two pairs of Naruto sandals for Ino and Sakura so no worries. I'm waiting patiently for that other tutorial.

Ikura
10-13-2005, 07:09 AM
*bumb* Any chance that that tutorial will be coming lilithbunny?

Chibi-kun
03-09-2006, 06:17 PM
I know somoene said something about sewing the fabric onto the sandals (?) and I wanted to ask how well that would hold as opposed to just glueing the fabric onto the sandals? since i doubt my sewing machine can take much abuse such as that XD

Pazuzu
03-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Depends how strong the glue is, yeah? :D

Though you don't have to use a sewing machine...could pick up heavy-duty (or whatever they call it) thread and hand-sew it.

Chibi-kun
03-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Depends how strong the glue is, yeah? :D

Though you don't have to use a sewing machine...could pick up heavy-duty (or whatever they call it) thread and hand-sew it.

XDDD not gonna happen.

i was thinking of hot glueing it on and just reinforcing with some of sort of needles into them.

Pazuzu
03-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Reinforcing with needles....that... sounds REALLY painful to walk on :D; I must be totally misinterpreting that idea.

(What's wrong with hand sewing?)

Chibi-kun
03-09-2006, 07:14 PM
lol, what i meant was that i would pin the fabric from the sides together with the glue so i know its completely on. I've seen several naruto cosplayers done it during kawaii con so i want to give it a try.

as for my reasons on not hand sewing it, namely because i didnt really understand how you would hand stick the larger pieces of fabric onto the sandals itself XD

Pazuzu
03-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Ahhh, I...sorta get it XD;; (not really but that's okay)

Well, if you had fabric on the sole that you could attach the sandal part to, THEN you could handsew it, but whatever works, I guess :9

Chibi-kun
03-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Ahhh, I...sorta get it XD;; (not really but that's okay)

Well, if you had fabric on the sole that you could attach the sandal part to, THEN you could handsew it, but whatever works, I guess :9

hmm...that would also work. I've seen a tutorial on making them as well, all you had to do was slip your slippers into them. I guess i'll go ahead and experiment.

Pazuzu
03-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I wish you luck with that, then! :D

nicoledyria
03-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Oh man, I really should hurry up and finish my sandals and post pictures! I made the pattern myself, and I must say it works rather well. Materials...cost me about $3, if only because the main part of the sandals I made out of a pair of black stretch denim pants that couldn't be worn anymore due to badly-located holes. There's a little bit of messing around I need to do with my pattern, but it works. I'm still in the "stitching the fabric to the base sandal" process.

*is an accuracy whore, which is part of what took so long on the designing*

lilithbunny
03-22-2006, 02:54 PM
God bless Google Pages for hosting my site.

And so...

after forever and a day...

(drumroll please)...

HERE'S THE NARUTO SANDAL TUTORIAL LINK:

http://liz.spain.googlepages.com/narutosandaltutorial

I'm also doing commission work now, so if you'd like me to make you a pair, just let me know.

Pazuzu
03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Whoa, lilithbunny, those sandals look AWESOME :D Really easy to follow tutorial, too!

Aome_cherry
03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
it watches... in my group we covered sandals with fabric and they become in form of socks are left..... pretty and resistant bye bye

Annie-Mei
03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
ah, she beat me to it!

Nicely done, and VERY easy to follow with the offered images!

Well, Just means that I have a little more time to perfect my tutorial as well. Similar to what you have posted, but I kinda followed the offical pattern ( there is a strip of material that actually goes down the center of the sandal). And Im trying to see if I can work a zipper as well into the pattern, or the use of velcro for ease of use.

lilithbunny
03-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Where've I been in the past year? There's an official pattern now? Crazy. I just copied my design by staring at numerous images from the cartoon and manga. (Which often left me confused-- Are they royal blue or navy? Is the seam running across the top of the foot in the middle or off-center?)

Annie-Mae, you are far more ambitious than I. I contemplated using elastic or velcro in the heel of the shoe, but settled on a slip-on. I did that because not only is it easier to make, but the heavy canvas I use doesn't play nicely with notions. I decided that making it out of heavy, shoe-weight fabric trumped being able to put them on without tugging. But then again, I am super-uptight about making costumes out of realistic clothing-grade materials. Yeah, my stuff ends up being really durable, and looks natural, but my wallet cries every time I walk into the fabric store. :(

Figle
05-03-2006, 12:56 PM
wow very cool thanks Trabus and lilithbunny! :)

Terensu
05-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I've a method I've yet to try... I'll try to get on it this weekend. Its in my mind, can't explain properly. I'll try to take pics while I'm doing it.

~Kunoichi~Baka~
05-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Nice... I gotta use this patten (and cut off the heel part also ^^;)

WHAT OFFICIAL PATTERN!?!?

Mahio
08-20-2006, 06:08 PM
I get it now! I edited the pattern so that it's easier to follow. I hope this helps.

Edit: I just looked at the pic again, where the line is at the top of the base peice that I drew, is supposed to be "D"

skullkid1985
08-23-2006, 04:43 PM
im wondering how to make the things that sasuke wears over his legs

Mahio
08-23-2006, 08:41 PM
I made some armbands last year, and I think that it's probably gonna be really close to what I made. It's gonna end up as a tube ish pattern, and around the top and bottom, use some elastic so that they stay on. You're gonna want it to be very tight around your legs, so just leave enough room to slide them on and off. around the top and bottom *where the elastic goes* make a navy pocket for the elastic to run through. In the end, the elastic is stiched forming a band around the top and bottom.
It worked for the sleeve things, so I hope it helps some.

ookami-chan
08-23-2006, 08:56 PM

Medical wrap. ^^ The stuff I used was this medical wrap that actually stuck to itself (it wasn't a sticky tape wrap). o.o I used one roll for each leg. I wrapped the stuff in two-ish layers around my leg, and then hotglued the end for extra hold. After that, you just take some navy bias tape (or you can make navy cuffs from your fabric), and glue those in place to the medical wrap.

Its something that you have to do that morning as you're getting ready, but it only takes a few minutes if you use hot glue, and the end result is really nice. The medical wrap never budged once during the entire day (and during our masquerade skit). It wasn't too tight, so it didn't feel uncomfortable, and it was very breathable, so it didn't get too hot.

Pictures are in my gallery. It worked really well.

I would not suggest using white fabric, since it frays and it won't stay in place, no matter how tightly you wind it.

Relion
08-24-2006, 09:35 AM
Nya, i finished my sandals yesterday :BB Amazing what you can turn some sandals and an old sock into. xDDD

skullkid1985
08-24-2006, 01:34 PM
thanks about the leg things for sasuke

Chibi-kun
08-24-2006, 09:04 PM

I actually cheated when I did my blue sasuke one. I made leg warmers with the top and bottom with blue bias tape and had medical tape or gauze wrap around them. That way, I wouldnt be sacrificing skin when I peeled them off and are actually alot easier to be reused over and over again.

TylerDurden53
08-28-2006, 11:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Kakashi_FSS/SandalDesign.jpg

Thats a little something I came up with, using a zipper design (sorta like Kiba's sandals from the timeskip) for the base rather then the "tube sock" look which IMO looks awful. I also have a much thicker button over for above the ankle and over the toes to make it look more like the manga and anime. The way this will work is that instead of sewing the material on the sides (like lilithbunnys), you can sew them from above to get the look right then just stick you foot in and zip them up tight ^^.

As for finding the material and sole, your on your own. I haven't taken time out of my schedual to make these yet. I recommend the same material they use for skateshoes (and idea what its called?) and for the sole just take that of a black (or whatever color you want your sandals) boot or sandal.

FE Freak
08-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Tyler do you mean suede,nubuck,mesh,their are lots of different material they make skateshoes from.I really like your/his??,design.I like it alot alot.:bigtu:

TylerDurden53
08-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Well there his drawings but my design ^^. *fixed*

FE Freak
08-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Either way,but do we have to use skater material how about some outdoor-ish fabric or maybe some of that boxing glove material to "stretch" across the main foot part of the shoe?

TylerDurden53
08-28-2006, 11:49 PM
You don't have to but IMO it will give it a similar texture look (duct (duck?) cloth will work as well and its mighty cheap). With the zipper design theres no need for the main part to stretch though.

Hyde Coulter
09-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the Tut. Pic Mahio.

I Slightly edited it to be more legible for others, and Fixed that D portion.

Solid-Spider
09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I made some sandals for my kakashi costume I'm making for Halloween. I made them without a heel to match Kakashi's. I also made both cuffs. My shoe is a slip on that is secured tightly by a removeable ankle cuff. Way easier and better than a zipper. Also my foot doesn't swim in it like some that I have seen.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39565705/

FE Freak
09-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey Hyde,is there a complete set of instruction to go along with that link?

london2191
09-16-2006, 07:12 PM
I tried getting a sock, cutting the toes and put them in a flip flop. It looked awesome, but it was horrible. The sock kept slipping all the way down my foot and it got so bad that I got a blister on my toe. I have to wear a sock tho' or the fishnet for my Temari outfit will slip off. Can anyone think of a good way to fix this?

I only have a coupla days because the con is only a week from now.

Someone said that they used legwarmers from Hottopic and it sounded like a good idea but the person's pictures weren't working.

KittyAngel
09-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi, um..... okay, after I do my 003 from Cyborg 009 cosplay at MTAC 07, I'm thinking about doing Hinata Hyuga from Naruto next time. All I need to know is was there a website that showed you step by step on how to make Naruto sandals and if there is, please let me know okay.

I've tried Ebay, but all they have is Men sizes. Any help would work!:bigtu:

FE Freak
09-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Well here's the tutorial i used.

http://www.freewebs.com/iron_chef_cosplay/tut01.html

TylerDurden53
09-17-2006, 04:52 PM
http://liz.spain.googlepages.com/narutosandaltutorial is pretty good

FE Freak
09-17-2006, 05:06 PM
That tutorial is long,this one's quick,easy,and probably more comfortable.

london2191
09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Hmm, both are very accurate and good, but does anyone have a very easy 2 second idea? I can't use up that much time. Besides, I don't have the material, I can't sew on a sewing machine....>>

FE Freak
09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
There's always the sock method?

london2191
09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I did the cut sock under the flip-flop, but the sock kept rolling down and I got a cut on my toesies.

I can't the sock over the shoe because it would get dirty, it's too small, it'd be ripped, and my flip-flip is a slightly too big. I'm brainstorming right now because I remember one person online saying that they put the sock on and glued it to the bottom of the shoe. xD I might just do that when I have enough time which'll probably never coz' AWA is this weekend. >>

London has been sick for two days so has loads of homework, a project, and stuff. ;_;

FE Freak
09-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Well i didnt use that method,i just used some dress socks and slipped them into a house slipper,then glued them on,and rolled the excess into a cuff.I thought it was pretty decent.

london2191
09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Hm. I might just end up putting an elastic around the end of the sock so it doesn't curl.

FE Freak
09-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Well there is just getting one of those thick sports socks*doesnt know the term* and do that also?

london2191
09-18-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't know what those are called...=\

FE Freak
09-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Neither do I,try looking for some in Walmart or Academy,im sure you'll find some.

Annie-Mei
09-19-2006, 02:45 PM
A down a dirty method too is to hit a local dance wear store and pick up some leg warmers in that color. they will fit nicely over your shoes.

Once I get my computer up and runing, I'll post my tutorial on how to make hte sandals (the more authentic looking ones as based on the official sandals sold in Japan). I've been meaning to post it, but I ran into mucho trouble electronically.

FE Freak
09-19-2006, 05:09 PM
I was thinking of the leg warmer idea too,i didnt want to sound stupid.Also those shoes look a bit,eh.

XiaolinSakura
09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
That's easy. Take THICK blue socks, and old sandals. Cut any extra parts of the sandals, cut the tosa & heals of the socks, put the sandals in the socks and there you go! Low-Buget Naruto Sandals!

EGLpirate
09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
i bought blue bedroom slippers and matching socks and sewed them together for my Kakashi & Sakura (the rest of us bought the "real" ones) ^-^

YuffieK
09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I made two pairs of ninja shoes for JTAF4 this past weekend and I think they came out really well :D

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=851088
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/MasterTheifYuffie/woooooo006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/MasterTheifYuffie/woooooo005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/MasterTheifYuffie/iobbr9.jpg

FE Freak
09-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Those are THE best homemade shoes ive ever seen,they puffy-ish and everything!!!!:bigtu: So what material did you make them out of,do you have a tutorial on how to make those? Do tell.

YuffieK
09-21-2006, 12:07 AM
They were actually realy easy to make~

First, I just bought a cheap pair of sandals. NOT flip-flops or anything, just the kind with the single band that you slip your foot through. Next, I just put duct tape all around with the sticky side facing out (away from my foot) wherever I needed it. Then, I put tape with the stick side facing down (so both of the sticky side would stick to each other) and just added a ton of layers or that. Then, to make the thicker band around the top I just got a lot of layers of newspaper and taped them on until I had it the thickness I needed. Then, after all of the taping was done and it had the shape of the sandal, I just go the scissors and cut a slit down the back, took my foot out, then put tape around the cut (so none of the sticky was exposed). Then I just got some dark blue stockings/tights/nylons whatever they're called and put two layers of that around the whole sandal. I just hot glued it around the top and around the oppening by the toes so it'll stay in place. and... that's about it :D

FE Freak
09-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Oh wow...um,thats just dandy,I'll try it sometime.*confused*

YuffieK
09-21-2006, 12:21 AM
^^';;
basically just use duct-tape as a base and the tights just make it look like fabric

FE Freak
09-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Oh that really straightens everything out,thanks.I'll try that whenever i have the time.*P.S. i love your shoes.*:bigtu:

london2191
09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Ah, duct tape. ^^ It does wonders.

Well, as a temporary thing, I'm just putting medical tape around the part of my sock which slides down and sharpie it black. =\ I don't have enough time for all that stuff...besides, it should be fine...

Nurika
09-23-2006, 12:17 AM
They were actually realy easy to make~

First, I just bought a cheap pair of sandals. NOT flip-flops or anything, just the kind with the single band that you slip your foot through. Next, I just put duct tape all around with the sticky side facing out (away from my foot) wherever I needed it. Then, I put tape with the stick side facing down (so both of the sticky side would stick to each other) and just added a ton of layers or that. Then, to make the thicker band around the top I just got a lot of layers of newspaper and taped them on until I had it the thickness I needed. Then, after all of the taping was done and it had the shape of the sandal, I just go the scissors and cut a slit down the back, took my foot out, then put tape around the cut (so none of the sticky was exposed). Then I just got some dark blue stockings/tights/nylons whatever they're called and put two layers of that around the whole sandal. I just hot glued it around the top and around the oppening by the toes so it'll stay in place. and... that's about it :D

le gasp! thanks so much, this really helps!!

Kaniki
09-23-2006, 05:55 PM
I love this thread. <3 It's been so helpful. With all the Tutorials and such, I finally know how to make the sandals! XD YAY! I'm about to go attempt to make them now {The Sand Village style ones}. Hopefully they'll turn out decently. >>; Then I can make the Sakura and Sasuke ones {Sakura = Sister, Sasuke = Me! XD}

london2191
09-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I definitely need to make some appropriate ninja sandals. The tap to hold the cut edges of my sock didn't exactly hold so it kept sliding down and I had to fix it every now and then, but I didn't get any cuts. -noddeh-

Sabakunogaara3
10-01-2006, 05:59 AM
oh yeah those are THE best looking shoes I've seen so far (texture wise). what items did you use to create those shoes... if only i could get me a pair...

gasgirl345
03-12-2009, 10:19 AM
get some black boots and just cut the top of them

ShikaChu
04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Me and my friends were really cheap and went to the payless and all bought the same pair of generic Converse's. :D We didn't have sandals, just chucks. It was kinda cool but looked stupid in pics.

DingDing
02-12-2011, 04:59 AM
Awesome thread :D
So, I really need hellpp!!!
I'm doing an ANBU version of Naruto and the ANBU style shoes are different to the normal ones. They are like much higher (like the height of Sakura's shoes in Shippuden) and they have a strap wrapped around it.. so how do I do that?
Thanks! and here is a reference pic: http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9jUBwbOuG4A/TMVWNEOCtkI/AAAAAAAAAC4/bOTwX1T7_GA/s1600/Yamato%2B-%2BA%2Bmember%2Bof%2Bthe%2BANBU%2Bblack%2Bops.png&imgrefurl=http://manga-pic.blogspot.com/2010/01/other-member-of-anbu-black-ops-yamato.html&usg=__-D9ieS3_EEPvSwacW-0fX2ru-zY=&h=1176&w=640&sz=304&hl=en&start=190&sig2=24K_AlkzrosaxcAKkWVPlg&zoom=1&tbnid=Ed9OWgokVoQCJM:&tbnh=178&tbnw=97&ei=3llWTeWcBIvcvQOP8tT1BA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Danbu%2Bnaruto%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DX%26rlz%3D1R2RNTN_enAU370%26biw%3D994%26bih%3D5 31%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C5337&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=671&vpy=132&dur=1156&hovh=304&hovw=165&tx=111&ty=185&oei=eFlWTaWwLtOdcZ6e_ZEN&page=14&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:190&biw=994&bih=531
P.S. I really cant spend too much money so something cheap please :)
wait.. they may have normal ninja sandals and just a strap over the pants? CONFUSING! ARGH