PDA

View Full Version : Rogue (X-Men) Suit help

Tonksie
10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Hello!

I'm going to start working on a Rogue (from x-men) cosplay. I want to do her green/white outfit (ref. pic included), but I'm trying to figure out what material to make it from. I want to avoid spandex if possible for something a bit thicker (so that it isn't like "look ma, cellulite!") and less cheap/shiny looking, but it obviously still has to be tight and stretchy. I'm also likely going to make the cloak from the same material, so not something that's just gonna hang down all blah.

I'm still really really new at cosplay and this is the first I'll be sewing myself, eek!
What kind of pattern would I want to use for this? I have one for the cloak and pants that I can use, but for the top, would I just use a normal long sleeved shirt pattern and then make it small? I'm particularly worried about how to get the shoulders and armpit area all tight like that with a normal pattern.

Thanks!

glass_ayla
10-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm going to give you the advise that I give every superhero costumer....

I love spanedman.com. He does great stuff and for about 100 bucks you can get EXACTLY what you want (cape will prob be extra). They do a professional job and you will look great. Just send him a photo of what you want, they have a quick turnaround time even for custom stuff.

Sewing spandex is a challenge if you don't have an overlock machiene. You may want to try sewing a cotton pair of pants first if you have never sewn before.

In addition, I recommend wearing a body smoother under your superhero costume- it will drop you a size and hide anything that jiggles. They make a Body suit that is full, and one that comes up to just under your bra strap. Remember anything (like a corset) with bumps will show through your spandex.

You can always to to League of Heros message board- they all do superhero costumes and have some great tips on how to look finished.

SgtScoops
09-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi. Just curious if u found the material or a way to create rogues green and white costume? I tried the website link buts its unavailable. I want to go as rogue for halloween and this is the outfit I want. I've had no luck so far In finding it.

nakichu
11-16-2010, 04:14 PM
i was also curious to see if there's an results, and disappointed to find out that the link didn't work. if you had any updates on the costume, i'd love to hear!

Tonksie
01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
wow, sorry, I hadn't thought to check this thread for updates! I did, in fact, finish the costume (you can see the pics in my gallery). Yay!

I ended up making the costume out of green spandex from spandexhouse. It was really nice because you could have them send actual samples of the fabric to you first so that you know that the color and the texture match what you want. I found one that was a perfect color and really good quality. It was nice and thick, and didn't look cheap/shiny/tacky at all.

I made the suit in two pieces, a shirt and a pair of pants. I found a pattern for leggings and used that for the pants, and then a friend helped me alter a long sleeve shirt pattern to make it longer and more fitted. I sewed the white pieces on as part of the pattern, instead of sewing it on top, because the green kept showing through when I put it on top.

The hooded cape was made from a costume cape pattern (I think it was a lord of rings style) that I significantly altered through trial and error to get the right shape. It was also made of the green spandex.

Sewing spandex, especially in my first project was really hard. I have a normal machine with an overlock stitch, but the fabric was really slippery and heavy (especially the cape), so that made it difficult. My seam ripper and I became great friends.

As for the smoothing, I ended up wearing a pair of high waisted dance tights underneath the costume. I have come to love dance tights even more than my seam ripper. It really helped smooth out everything and I felt a lot more comfortable.

tucats
10-07-2011, 06:29 AM
The best step for Stop Armpit Sweating is: Wash Your Arm Everyday
Make sure that you wash everyday as this will help kill the bacterium that causes you to sweat. You may find however, that washing once a day is not ample so instead shower in the morning before your begin your day, and again after sweating washing will be the only thing that stops you from sweating after you have sweated. One really good tip that I would like to pass onto you that has helped many people that sweat under the arms is using talcum powder on the area where you sweat.