PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic contact lenses?

mechadoll0
10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I have never worn contacts but would like to wear some custom lenses for when I cosplay as Nia (gurren lagann). I've read about the danger of messing up your eyes if you get the wrong ones and if you don't get a prescription. I'm just wondering the best way to avoid disaster and if there is a reliable company to use that does a good job creating safe, custom cosmetic lenses. Thx!

benihime
10-29-2008, 06:33 PM
9mmsfx.com

Alwayzbored
10-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Well, I've been wearing contact lenses for a while, and they're not all that dangerous as my parents worried that they would be. People have heard that it could cause blindness or infection, but as long as you clean them well after each use (and possibly before each use also), then it shouldn't have negative results. I think you only need a prescription if you have some vision impairments like me. Otherwise, my friend just bought a pair of red contacts at a reliable optometry place for like twelve dollars, and he used it for almost a month without any problems. Usually disposable contacts are only supposed to last for two weeks, but a lot of people use it for almost up to a month. After that, it's a good idea to get rid of them. Just be sure that they're clean before you insert them into your eyes, and try not to fall asleep with them on. It's also not too good to wear contacts too long per day also, because it doesn't allow oxygen to get to your eyes as well as not wearing them.

Beryl
10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Seconding 9mmsfx. They're not cheap, but that's because they're the best.

Cosplaylab.com also has some decent ones, provided you can find some that fit your prescription. More on the P-word in just a moment.

Well, I've been wearing contact lenses for a while, and they're not all that dangerous as my parents worried that they would be. People have heard that it could cause blindness or infection, but as long as you clean them well after each use (and possibly before each use also), then it shouldn't have negative results.
The way you phrased this seems a bit misleading.

Just so everyone is clear, contacts CAN damage your eyes, if they don't fit right, or are used improperly. There's more to it than just cleaning. That passage should read something like this:

"As long as you order the right contacts for your eyes, and use them according to the guidelines provided by an eyecare professional, wearing contacts shouldn't have negative results."

I think you only need a prescription if you have some vision impairments like me.
If the above section was misleading, then this is flat-out wrong.

Everyone seeking to wear contacts should visit an optometrist for an eye exam. Even if your eyes need no correction, a contact lens exam measures the size and shape of your eye, which is instrumental in choosing the right contacts. If the contacts don't fit properly, there's risk of damage to the eye. A member recently shared a story about a very painful scratch on their eye caused by improperly-fit contacts. I have also experienced a scratch on my cornea (unrelated to contacts) and can attest that it REALLY hurts.

Also, using contacts properly is very important. There are guidelines to follow, and it's always helpful to have someone to explain how to use contacts properly. An eye doctor is the most qualified person to do that.

I'm sorry if I seem harsh on you, Alwayzbored, but this is an issue that we stress time and time again, every time somebody mentions contact lenses: go see an eye doctor before ordering anything, and if you order them online, order only from trustworthy vendors.

Your eyesight is precious, and you shouldn't risk it by cutting corners for cosplay, of all things.

tl;dr - OP: as long as you get a prescription, and choose an online retailer that asks for your prescription, you should be fine. If you have doubts about a particular retailer, feel free to ask here.

Alwayzbored
11-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Owie. >.< That is harsh.

Just kidding. Nah, it's fine. :toothy: I was just offering my thoughts in hopes that I could help, but I really should have considered my words more before I posted considering how precious one's vision is. This just proves how important it is for me to think before I say aloud (or post). :waaaah: I'll try to keep the thought in mind more often. Well, actually I did consider the pupil measuring part, but it's just that my friend got by so easily just coming to some optometry store and buying a pair contacts without having to do anything... I assumed the wrong thing. Wait. So what in the world is the optometrist doing selling to random buyers? :eek: Doesn't that make it illegal or something? >_<

Anyway, I also didn't receive any guildlines when I got mine... Either that, or I did, and I just don't remember. They just gave me the pair and showed me how to poke them in my eyes. >.< (It took me an hour and even longer to take them out. Haha.) They did tell me to wash them and not wear them for too long, though.