PDA

View Full Version : New Important Notice

Ranma Saotome
07-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Straight from the website...

Effective immediately, any attendee aged 17 or younger must have permission from a parent or guardian to attend any event sponsored by Katsucon Entertainment, Inc.

The permission form, to be signed and presented at registration or mailed with a pre-registration form, is posted below with the Pre-Registration information.

Now this doesn't affect me, but is anyone here bothered/affected by this?

Lyn
07-17-2003, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I noticed that and found it a bit strange that they uped the age again. I remember they did that once already in the past. I'll be 18 in December, so it doesn't affect me but it might for some of my friends. But well, its not like they're saying anyone 17 or under has to have a parent with them at all times, just that they have to get permission, which I can understand though 17 seems a bit old for that. I would say 14 and younger would be a more appropiate area.

lunasreincarnat
07-20-2003, 03:45 PM
gah ill be 18 but my lil bro will only be 13 sigh... this is so freaking stupid

Lyn
07-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Not really...the only "stupid" part of it is the age range they chose. I have a feeling they're doing this though because of hotel regulations and also so they don't have any underaged people running around, getting into trouble. And making sure parents are responsible for their kids. I think 17 is a bit high though. I think it should be more like 13 and under or something like that. And its not like your brother has to have a parent with him at all times. He just needs a signature from a parent to give to the staff when he hands in his registration form. Its not like its a major hassle or anything.

Nene
07-20-2003, 09:12 PM
It bothers me, as I'll be 16 when the next Katsu rolls around. I mean, I'll be able to get the signature, but it just makes me feel so young and irresponsible! Which I am, so I guess it kind of works... Maybe they're just worried about kids sneaking in and getting in trouble with their parents from going with their permission? Something like that probably happened last year... But see, it's still pretty easy to get around. What if some of the kids, forge, for example?

lunasreincarnat
07-20-2003, 09:41 PM
but why are they doing this... just seems like extra work for them @_@! and sigh... it would be so easy to forge and what not.

Nene
07-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Yup! Of course, not like I'd forge..->>- -<<- ::cough, choke:: But I guess those Katsu-peeps like the extra work. They SURE seemed to enjoy the rampage of psycho fangirls last year in hopes for DJ. Yup. Now if only I could get my fake liscence by then..-= =- ...for my friend!! -o o;;

Ranma Saotome
07-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by lunasreincarnat
but why are they doing this... just seems like extra work for them @_@! and sigh... it would be so easy to forge and what not.

That I do not know, but maybe they will have an explanation soon.

Recca-kun
07-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Anya
It would make more sense if conventions actualy checked badges and all that jazz, theres no stopping people under 17 without guardian permission from roaming the halls...
Katsucon can not check for a badge if you are not attending an event - it is a hotel, not a completely rented out con center - therefore if you do not have a parent signature just hang out and cosplay the whole time. Problem solved, you save $35-50 plus whatever you would have spent in the dealer's room, and that money could be spent on food or costumes instead. ;)

Lilli
07-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Maybe they wanted something more than a 16+ age limit, but didn't want the stigma of being an 18+ event?

Just a guess. Maybe it's just Katsucon showing one more way that it can randomly suck? Either way it dosn't have any impact on me, because I'm old. And chances are, I'm not registering, either. ^^;;

Ranma Saotome
07-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Recca-kun
Katsucon can not check for a badge if you are not attending an event - it is a hotel, not a completely rented out con center - therefore if you do not have a parent signature just hang out and cosplay the whole time. Problem solved, you save $35-50 plus whatever you would have spent in the dealer's room, and that money could be spent on food or costumes instead. ;)

I dunno...

Most cons will rent out the whole hotel for itself.

Lady_Sephiroth
07-29-2003, 10:09 PM
18 is the age of majority in this country, which is prolly why they chose it. I'm doing much the same whing for the Tekkoshocon cosplay this year, getting parental permission from minors before they can enter.

There are HUGE liability issues when you bring minors into any mix, especially in a case like any con. In our sue-happy culture, I don't blame the Katsu brass one bit for this and would be happy to see other cons follow suit. It's probably a huge discount on their insurance and a huge load off the hotel's mind.

Sala
08-06-2003, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I can see why they did it. Being 20, this doesn't affect me in the slightest, but I can see if being a pain in the arse for other people. But, they hafta watch their backs. I bet they got sued by someone this past year, so something like that...

Carmila
08-18-2003, 08:56 AM
Eh, they are just trying to cover their butts legally. You see, you are responsible for yourself if you are 18 or over (legally), however you are still a minor at 17 and under. This way if anything happens to you Katsucon can not be held responsible for any misshaps. Though technically, they shouldn't but hey, that is the way our society is now and days!

Layd_Sephiroth is right - this will probably take a huge load off of their liability. Then again, are they going to go around checking everyone they think is under 18? Doubt it, but atleast they are covering their rears.

Ranma Saotome
08-18-2003, 10:01 AM
That's what I kinda figured.

But it is good to get everyone's opinons and thoughts. ^_^

Kellie
08-18-2003, 03:34 PM
I think its a great idea. As everyone said -liability- is a huge thing. And I'm sure they wouldn't have done such a thing unless they had problems last year. Remember, last year was the huge snow storm, so if they had any problems after the time the con had reserved the hotel, well there's some liability for you.

I don't think they're trying to make anyone miserable, I think they're just trying to ensure safety both for people and theirselves.

Besides, if your parents -know- you're going to the convention, what's so hard about getting a signature on a slip of paper? ^^ Its like going on a field trip right? You'd have to wonder what exactly that big problem would be and why it would be a problem to ask a parent to sign a piece of paper.

... >> Unless they're planning on taking over the world.

Oh .. and I'm twenty, so its all good for me. :)

Ranma Saotome
08-18-2003, 09:21 PM
Can we please not reveal ages here? I'm starting to feel _really_ old. ^^;;;;;;

Kellie
08-19-2003, 01:03 AM
Pssh! ;) Hush. You're not old.

Nyoko
08-19-2003, 01:11 AM
It does not affect me, but its an ok idea (a bit odd), though auron, my brother, is saying its stuped, because it effects him ~.~;;

Yui
08-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Katsucon can not check for a badge if you are not attending an event - it is a hotel, not a completely rented out con center ....

That's right, that's why I'm only going to start going to non-convention center cons from now on. (Unless there is a majorly awesome guest of worthy-ness there....)
Even if the entire hotel happens to filled with attendees and all the con suites are rented out for Katsu-run activities, -no one- can restrict access everywhere in a hotel. You can't reserve all the hallways of a hotel...that is public domain. It's also where the best part of cons happen anyway.

Uh, yeah, I'm way old as well and doesn't affect me, but it still seems like Katsu is just mindlessly trying to flaunt their power around. Funny that most of their staff and gophers barely meet that age requirement. XP

Ranma Saotome
08-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Pssh! ;) Hush. You're not old.
Like hell I am! XD

Kamui32
08-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Eh? WHat be this BS? Grrrrr.... My second Katsu this will be, I will get the signature but feel so young and unconfortable. Although I understand the need for a signature for the younger people (12 and below) since common sense Isn't a strong Instinct at that Age but 14 and above are well aware of the world! I am 16 and will be 17 by the con so I must still get this crap signed. Stupid the age limit thing is! Protest this 100% I do!

Sorahana
09-03-2003, 09:20 PM
I'll be 16 so this affects me lol XD. I can get my mom's signature no problem. It just depends if I'm going lol XD. There's a job I can do for 8 weeks and if I save all the money up I can pay for the Katsucon trip lol XD.

Nietsche
09-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Can we please not reveal ages here? I'm starting to feel _really_ old. ^^;;;;;;

ppssst! 26 year old here.....feeling any less old?

Ranma Saotome
09-03-2003, 09:32 PM
ppssst! 26 year old here.....feeling any less old?

In a word... YES! :)

Giant Alucard
09-29-2003, 12:19 PM
This doesn't affect me on any way, but it may affect some of the people I'll be going with.... oh well.

Hey Ranma, your only as old as you feel.... right.

Ranma Saotome
09-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah... True. ^_^

Sorahana
09-29-2003, 06:10 PM
It'll affect my my cousin too. He'll be 14 on........Friday!! Lol XD. Same B-day as Richard Cox(my fave voice actor).....:throws streamers:
And my boyfriend wants to go for some reason but he hates anime!! XD;. Anyway My mom is gonna book the room for 3 nights so wh00t!