PDA

View Full Version : Wig emergancy!

Nine
07-17-2003, 12:52 AM
Ok.. I have a wig dilema. I need a wig for Felicia (Darkstalkers), which I have to wear within a week's time. I haven't been able to find a wig anywhere around where I live, and then some, and buying online is too late.

I have a long blue wig, that I bombarded with hair spray for one costume. So, I just washed out the hairspray.. but the wig is so frizzy, damaged, and just basically unappealing. Is there any thing I could get, like special shampoo, or whatever to make the wig look half decent?? Are there any products you can suggest, either made for wigs or not made for wigs, so I can get it looking normal-ish again? I can comb through it (surprisingly), and it needs a trim to get all the mats out at the tips, but other than that I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks

Yumeko
07-17-2003, 01:08 AM
it's a long shot considering that this shampoo was not intended for use on syenthic fibers...but try some of that frutice...(the stuff in the green bottle made with fruit) and see if that works...

penultimate03
07-17-2003, 01:28 AM
I say if worst comes to worst, gel it down like crazy

Also, pomade stuff (you can get it in little tins or 'tubs') helps with smoothing down hair.

I have a looong wig that got really poofy after brushing it, and it smoothed right down with some pomade. It makes the wig a teeny bit greasy in the beginning though, so be careful with it around very delicate costumes.

Gren
07-17-2003, 01:33 AM
look closely at one of the individual hairs. Is it perfectly straight, or does it twist and kink about? If it's kinked, then the plastic has been damaged (probably through brushing) and is pretty close to unrepairable. Some people on the boards may know ways to re-melt and straighten the fibers, but no shampoo can help. What I would recommend is going all out Felicia. Poof that wig out as much as is physically possible and wear it like you meant for it to be that way. She's got big hair, so you're lucky.

KaraokeKate
07-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Like Gren said, overbrushing can cause kinks, and no shampoo will fix that. I'd suggest you try straightening it first, to at least see if it's salvagable. I've got a tutorial up for it here:

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_straightening.html

If it won't calm down even after that, then yeah. Poof-away. ^_^

LuckInSpades
07-17-2003, 08:30 PM
If you have a form you can set the wig on to work it, then you can try to brush-straighten it. While I am not sure if that is what KKate just linked to, but just take a small clump at a time and on the lowest heat setting, "hairdry" the wig and gently brush. Make sure you have the knots out in the first place, if possible. Just go section by section. It takes some time, but hopefully that should work.

Nine
07-19-2003, 05:16 AM
I think the wig is too damaged to straighten and make pretty.. so I thought about poofing it up... but I have no idea on how to go about doing that! *is useless!*