PDA

View Full Version : Not so usual cosplays

Sushki
11-01-2008, 03:20 PM
i'm starting this thread now.. everybody with me? haha, sorry

claude is a filler-character in bleach (a pink bunny bag [when not in own body]), and i have decided to cosplay him. problem is, i couldn't find anyone who had done that before, not on the whole web (exept a gijinka)... for the record, i might have found a reason: especially for a n00b like me, it's practically impossible! okay not impossible, but sooo much work. and i only got 2 months left, stil doesn't look like anything..shiet

what i want to know is if you ever cosplayed a character, or just randomly thought of a cosplay practically never done before. also, if you have a theory of why.

i kinda think of my friend now, since she wanna cosplay everything no-one else does xD (so she kinda died when i forced her to be sasuke, moahahahahaha!)

Benihime78
11-01-2008, 11:54 PM
One of my friends did Claude in his gigai form if you want to see that? There's a picture of her in one of my albums.

I do Gintama cosplays. It's a rather obscure series, so the cosplays aren't as usual as others. I try to do uncommon cosplays so I don't blend in with a herd of people that look like me.

Wataru
11-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I have an idea rolling around in my head to do a Cait Sith cosplay... But I was reminded of two important things: 1) climbing stairs would be a huge pain, and 2) no one likes Cait Sith, so I would probably get kicked randomly by FF7 fanboys/girls. xD

And this one's not quite as obscure, but I did a Midvalley the Hornfreak cosplay early this year. It was a great choice, I think, because most people knew who he was (except for the people who thought I was that guy from Cowboy Bebop -.-;), but had rarely seen him cosplayed.

Sushki
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
to benihime78: yosh! will take a look at it ;) the funny thing about calude is, that when he's in a real body, you can tell how perverted he is xD as a stuffed animal, he's totally innocent *evil smile* ._. i'm a bit tired

to wataru: no, come on!! haha, do the cait sith! i'll protect you from those crazy fans! bankai!

Can not sew
11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't know if anyone on this site has really done a Noein cosplay?
I love Noein and I'm planning to cosplay Tobi next year.
Yes... she has awesome purple hair, and most people think she is a guy (IT DOESNT TELL ANYWHERE! I JUST ASSUMED SHE WAS A GIRL)

ardhri
11-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I cosplayed Rin/ Kaleido Ruby from Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia (it's a video game only released in Japan) and only ONE person knew who I was. :) It was at my local con, too, which surprised me because I also wore her to Otakon and nobody there recognized her.

I try and do characters or designs I like, and I don't worry too much about how obscure they are. :) Next year's are all major mainstream characters except for one. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it, and I know why nobody's tried! It's going to be a true challenge if my friend and I can actually pull it off.

Kawaii Spider
11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
I've never seen one Princess Tutu series cosplay in person, and it's very rare that I can even find pictures of them.

I for one am entertaining the idea of cosplaying as Autor at some point - I feel kind of an odd draw to him, the same I feel toward Szayel from Bleach. We seem to have similar personalities, faces, and hair, and it's a cosplay I wouldn't have to remove my glasses for...

SailorAnime
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I tend to cosplay not-too-usual things a lot, like Arabian Tamaki from Ouran, Touya from YYH, and Iori Yagami from the Days of Memory game. :D I just think it's fun. I find that the more obscure outfits are more fun to make and wear (i.e. they look cooler). Though it's a little discouraging to be at a con and have no one know who you are.

Also, what part of Claude are you having problems with? Maybe I can help you figure some things out.

Sushki
11-03-2008, 06:44 PM
to kawaii spider: matching personality with SZAYEL? O__O erm...so, you're like, perverted, fruity and experimental insane? haha, if so, totally awesome x'D i'm signing up as lab rat!

for anyone: i think it should be spread to do never done cosplays, especielly the really cool ones.. i mean, who wanna see ten faily itachi in 5 minutes? (and that comes from me, future itachi-cosplayer, lol.... -.-'')

hm, my biggest problem is the head.. since i'm too lazy to translate, i'm gonna try to explain. to make it as much as a stuffed animal as possible, the body and legs are made of textile-foam (on of all my made up words)..it's like the stuff you have in small chushions on chairs... maybe i should get a dictionary, hmm..no, takes too much time. and, the head.. since it's gotta be stabile, and be able to be that with two loooong ears and the eyes, looking perfect and beautiful thogh made out of heavy clay, i decided that with two packages of glue-bullets and a knife, i could build it out of plastic foam (another of my home made words). it's the same material as the kinda hard and plasticy mattras you have under a sleeping bag, but double as thick. so, here comes the problem in all it's glory.

we remember why the head was made from what it is: unstable textile-foam
and what is the body made of? that's right, unslable, shooey foam.
i don't know if you know, but three rolls of sleeping-bag-matt is heavy
so problem is, i don't know how to attach the two pieces without having the head dropping (top is about 30 cm [12 inches?] over my head) and/or tipping forward/backwards

in theory a lot could work..but not in real life. best idea so far is to but two stabile foam-boards insite the head with an upside-down u cut out, so they can rest on my shoulders, and possibly be tied under my arms. that that might fail -.-''

(note to self: no writing after midnight..system is packed with sugar and i make everything a hell lot more complicated..hence all te unncessesary text, gomen)

SailorAnime
11-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Oh, are you making the doll version? I thought you meant his gigai version. XD Hmmm. That'll take more thinking.

SabienStrange
11-04-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm planning on doing Yuri from Shadow Hearts.
Maybe at this coming years AX if I can convince my Demyx to be Kurando,
Another character not cosplayed that often, if never at all.
The game's not very well known,
and I've seen only a few cosplays of him that I think were successfull.
I think I'm only depressed about having no one know who I am,
As oppossed to everyone usually recognizing where I'm from. xD

Schuldig_
11-04-2008, 05:27 AM
what i want to know is if you ever cosplayed a character, or just randomly thought of a cosplay practically never done before. also, if you have a theory of why.

I haven't done it yet, but I have plans to. To me, it's a great way to bring some attention to a show or character that's rarely done - people tend to come up and ask you just who you are, and then you can wax lyrical about said character and enlighten people a bit. :)

ResidentPyroman
11-04-2008, 10:19 AM
And this one's not quite as obscure, but I did a Midvalley the Hornfreak cosplay early this year. It was a great choice, I think, because most people knew who he was (except for the people who thought I was that guy from Cowboy Bebop -.-;), but had rarely seen him cosplayed.

The Gung-Ho Guns in general aren't done often enough (although I can see why for most of them...)

Call me crazy, but I am so being E.G. Mine once I figure out a way to make the spikey-ball-thing. :toothy:

Lovefromwcu
11-04-2008, 11:58 AM
My latest cosplay is Misaki Ayuzawa from Kaichou wa Meido-Sama! (Maid-Sama in English). As far as I've seen, there are two other people who have ever done it. The reason it is so unpopular in cosplay is because the series is only released so far in Japan, France, and a few Indoasian countries, so barely anyone knows of it. Plus, it has no anime in Japan, as it is not Hakusensha's most popular series (as opposed to Vampire Knight, Ouran High School Host Club, Special A, etc). It is getting more popular in Japan, though, and Tokyopop has licensed it in America, although no release is set yet.

Also, before Vampire Knight was even in talks of an anime, I did Zero Kiryu and Rinchansflower was my Yuuki Cross. We were one of two pairs at the convention, and pretty much everybody else didn't know who we were. Now, though, people recognize us even when we don't have our hair done! I love Hakusensha series by the way. Best shoujo ever!

myalchod
11-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Obscure. <3 I've got two (or three, depending on how one looks at it) obscure ones on my list: Okita from Peacemaker (admittedly the yukata is pretty generic, but the pig is a dead giveaway for anyone who's seen the show), Risai from Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms (I'm compounding obscure by going with a cover version from the Japanese novels for the coming year, but I did the anime formals last year), and Kaya Syokka/Gypsy Queen from Trinity Blood (not an obscure series, but the character appears only in the novels -- ones not yet translated -- and in a grand total of THREE pictures; the habit version is only in one). (And if I ever get Nue finished, that's pretty obscure as well, but that project's on long-term delay.)

I like seeing obscure stuff done, especially when it's awesome looking. Even if I don't recognise something, I'm likely to squee when it looks neat, so it's always fun. Lesser-cosplayed characters from more popular shows are fun as well, or even lesser-cosplayed outfits of more common characters, so it's not all Ichigo in his shihakushou or whatnot. Makes a nice change of pace.

Pillow-chan
11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
I cosplayed Quote from Cave Story, but that's a video game. It's obscure though. Two people at the con I wore it to recognized me. XD
I will be doing obscure cosplays in the future! I want to be Ingrid from Capcom Fighting Evolution sometime soon, in 2 years or so. I also want to be Yumiko from Hellsing. She's a really minor character, not much love for her out there, I find.
I might be doing a cosplay from a Fate/Stay game too...black suit Saber, along with a character whose name I don't know also in a black suit. (I don't know much about it because it's a cosplay for a friend)

jusdepomme
11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Soon, I'll do a Mahou Tsukai Sally cosplay... it's really an old school character and I have yet to see someone to do it.

Two years ago, I've done Motoko Minegawa from Fruits Basket (she is the Prince Yuki Fan Club President). I was always mistaken for Tohru though

I also love to make original design.

EgnirysFaye
11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Ah yes, there have been some obscure cosplays that I wanted to do - but wasn't sure if they were considered too obscure lol I'd love to do a few, but I don't want to be horribly unrecgonized. (Like Lilith from Arcana)

But I do enjoy doing any character that isn't considered mainstream and not commonly cosplayed, but noticable enough.

Pocketfightr
11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm currently agonizing over the Angel from the On Your Mark video. Many things working against that costume... its from 1995 and without the two police/soldier guys... I'd look like just a random green haired angel. Even people who *might* know the video might not recognize it alone.

The other option might be Shizuku from Whisper of the Heart in her red dress... but I'm not sure that will be recognized either (unless I make a really good Baron doll... and even then).

I've done a handful of obscure characters.

evanae
11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Mm, I'm attracted to do obscure characters because I won't be the 4948324938393th Naruto, Sora, Rukia, etc etc. I also tend to like obscure series like Speed Grapher and Iroha so it works out well. But that isn't to say I don't do popular characters either. There's just an allure to the obscure ones...

IAmTheMurderer
11-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I usually end up doing side characters anyhow.
My current thing I really want to do but no one would know who the heck I was? Shingo Toujou from Bio-Meat:Nectar. Never published over here and manga-only.
Oh and probably Eugene Davis as well. NO ONE recognized our Ghost Hunt cosplay last year, haha.
I'm imagining I'm going to have some confused folks with my Kaien Cross too, unless I'm with some other Vampire Knight cosplayers.

WilwarinAndamar
11-13-2008, 01:28 AM
I love doing underdone cosplays. I like being different. :D

KnuxieChan
11-13-2008, 08:26 AM
I do a lot of obscure cosplay. So much, people don't pay attention to me when I'm in costume because they don't know the series. XD; I've done 4 different Ultimate Muscle costumes, and now I'm working on Hiiragi from Onegai My Melody. I've watched the series a while ago and it's now just being fansubbed. I kinda don't want to get my hopes up on being recognized in that.. but maybe I'll get lucky.

SailorAnime
11-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I do a lot of obscure cosplay. So much, people don't pay attention to me when I'm in costume because they don't know the series. XD; I've done 4 different Ultimate Muscle costumes, and now I'm working on Hiiragi from Onegai My Melody. I've watched the series a while ago and it's now just being fansubbed. I kinda don't want to get my hopes up on being recognized in that.. but maybe I'll get lucky.

Ultimate Muscle?! *looks at your profile* HOLY CRAP! KEVIN! <3 ilu forever.

KnuxieChan
11-14-2008, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Muscle?! *looks at your profile* HOLY CRAP! KEVIN! <3 ilu forever.omg, you know? ;__; I've done Mars, a crappy half assed Jeager, Kevin, and more recently, Lord Flash. I've conned my boyfriend into cosplaying as Kevin for me now. <3

SailorAnime
11-14-2008, 10:28 AM
omg, you know? ;__; I've done Mars, a crappy half assed Jeager, Kevin, and more recently, Lord Flash. I've conned my boyfriend into cosplaying as Kevin for me now. <3

You are my hero <3