PDA

View Full Version : Extension question

newmyu
07-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Okay, I keep seeing questions about wigs and making them longer, and everyone suggests adding extensions. My main question, however, is... exactly how do you go about adding extensions??

I know I could get the style I wanted to in a wig (or at least, feel very confident that I could) but I would like to know what I'm getting into with the extensions before I order _anything_.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

LuckInSpades
07-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Depends how real you want it. if you had the patience, then carefully glue each extension strand to the respective one on the wig. Otherwise, I am not sure of techniques. Yes, you bet it'd take awhile, however, it would be ideal because it would blend nearly flawless (glue them together by laying them next to each other with about a cm of length overlapping)

Koumori
07-17-2003, 08:58 PM
What you can do is take loose hair that's the color you want and sew it along a narrow band of bias tape in an inconspicuous color, to make a weft (hair sewn along a strip). Then you can hand-sew that to the base of your wig for fullness and length. You can also sometimes buy hair already on wefts, but it tends to come in a more limited array of colors and lengths.

newmyu
07-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Yes, but... what if they're being attached to hair that's dangling down, such as from an odango? I could see the glue thing, but wouldn't that make it difficult to comb out later if it got tangled??

Koumori
07-18-2003, 07:43 AM
If you just want to attach loose hair, you may need something called a "heat sealer," with which you can attach small clumps or strands of hair by melting them to the wig hair at the root.