PDA

View Full Version : Which is better-Shoujocon or Otakon?

Fireflystar
07-17-2003, 11:45 PM
I've only been to conventions relatively close to me..Otakon and Katsucon. But after this year's Otakon (this year's experience is gonna be my deciding factor) I've been thinking of going to Shoujocon instead. I live in MD..so this might not be so easy on my own..but I completely adore Shoujo everything, and since the dates of these conventions are usually within the same month,I have to choose.

So for those of you that have been to both Otakon and Shoujocon,which did you like better?

Also,is it any cheaper? ^^;

Koumori
07-18-2003, 08:42 AM
It all depends on what you're looking for in a convention. Shoujocon is a much smaller, more intimate experience than Otakon; it's more relaxed and gives you plenty of time to kick back and socialize. However, I prefer larger cons with more activities, so I would choose Otakon if I had to pick one. It all depends on you.

SleeplessBeauty
07-18-2003, 12:46 PM
SHOUJOCON! ^__^ It's a nice change from conventions like Otakon and AnimeExpo. You make a lot of good friends and you're not rushed to do things, but there's still plenty to do. I don't know how Rye, NY is, but when it was in East Brunswick, it was awesome.

makonurikoryoko
07-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Yeah I like Hsoujocon more because it is intimate and I've met alot of cool people at Shoujocon and I always have a REALLy good time. I like how relaxed it is and how theres still so much to do and you feel like you can do evrything where as sometimes at Otakon I feel like I can't do evrything I want to do. I'm also a crazy shoujo feind so that helps as well :D it just depends on your personality

Fireflystar
07-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Cool,thanks that was helpful! I do feel overwhelmed by otakon every year,and the anime they choose to show there is never anything I want to watch. My personality would probably do much better in a smaller con,cause it seems people do some random sometimes rude things to me when they know I'll probably never catch them again -_-
God,how am I gonna get there..blagh

Michela
07-20-2003, 06:41 PM
I've only been to a small number of cons, and all of them were quite large and crowded, which indeed can be a bit overwhelming. Though I've managed to find a way to "kick back and socialize" in every one, I can't wait to see how much more I can do this at a smaller con like Shoujocon. Not only that, but I'm sure less staff members will yell at me to move if I wish to remain in one place for more than two minutes (my newest costumes are known to be quite bulky. ^_^;; ) I can't wait to see Gravitation with my fellow shounenai aficionados as well! (There shall be much squealing and celebration :::grins::: )

F4shi0nabl3
07-23-2003, 12:45 AM
I liked otakon better when I went two years ago.. I miss the big con feeling, I've been to much smaller ones since then... I'm going to try to make both, as well as baaf... three in one month?? insanity.. heh

Michela
07-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Yay! I hope you go to Shoujocon! (I saw you in your Generic Bishounen costume at AB03, and you were absolutely brilliant! ^^) I someday need to go to Otakon, but I lack funding for it at the moment ("moment" meaning through high school *and* college :::sweatdrop::: )

hikura
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
I never myself been to shoujocon.But i can offer this advice.Smaller cons offer a more personable feel and lets you relax while doing stuff.While they might not offer big names in the world in which the con is based on(this one being related to anime/manga) you get more of the relaxed experince.Smaller con means smaller dealers room and less people.
Big cons offer such as big names in the area it is specialized in(anime/manga example).Better dealers room and such things.But the bigger cons tend to be more hectic and crowded so you lose that feeling fo inmaticy that comes with smaller cons.
It is up to you on which you decied to go to.I like the smaller cons myself due to the fact i like the more personable feel to such events.Only a few things would make me to go to a big con(most likely it would be a special guest(s) that i would love to speak with).

PockyDarcy
08-07-2003, 02:24 AM
Shoujocon most defenatly. People were nicer and it was more to do for me. I loved the kareoke contest and the masquarade. The guests last year were a lot of fun. I am ACTUALLY choosing Shoujocon over Otakon this year. I had to choose and I've gone to 3 otakons before. Didn't really have a good time at any of them. Trust me......too many egos to contend with and smelly baltimore. Baltimore VS upstate New York, if u are in your right mind u will choose New York. Baltimore is a messed up city. Believe the signs people carry around every year at otakon...Baltimore sucks!

Eriol
08-07-2003, 01:02 PM
If Baltimore sucks, why do people go to Otakon just to hold up signs that Baltimore sucks? They must have money to spend.

neoangelwink
08-12-2003, 03:16 PM
^_^ ther both good cons they both have ther ups and downs. it wahat every looking that make con great.