PDA

View Full Version : Why was AC-Cubed cancelled?

DarkRiderTommy
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I think it's really sad, especially since I desperately wanted to go to a second convention this year...

Ryocha
11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm surprised some people don't know.

It was announced last year that AC^3 was on hiatus this year due to troubles involving the staff and the convention center itself. So, in order to bring in new staff members, AC^3 was put on hiatus and is slated to be business as usual for 2009.

CardMaster
11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
AC3 is not there but you have G-anime who comming in just a few Month!

www.ganime.ca!

The*Fallen*One*
11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
But SOAP has huge plans for the upcoming year! Starting off with our usual SOAP Birthday Party in March, and some smaller events throughout the year, all leading up to AC3 2009! Back in it's usual spot!

jusdepomme
11-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I just can't wait to see AC3's coming back. It's definatly one of my favorite con. Ottawa people are just so great!!!

*Kumiko_Chan*
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
But SOAP has huge plans for the upcoming year! Starting off with our usual SOAP Birthday Party in March, and some smaller events throughout the year, all leading up to AC3 2009! Back in it's usual spot!

Usual spot? And that would be..? xD
Hampton Inn or Travelodge? xD
haha, Crowne Plaza... lulz

Ryocha
12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
haha, Crowne Plaza... lulz

WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THE CROWNE PLAZA. EVER.
D:<

I still remember how nice and small it was, though. And the writings people did on the windows of that poor Timmy's. I think I took photos of that. XD

*Kumiko_Chan*
12-07-2008, 11:57 PM
WE DON'T TALK ABOUT THE CROWNE PLAZA. EVER.
D:<

I still remember how nice and small it was, though. And the writings people did on the windows of that poor Timmy's. I think I took photos of that. XD

AHAHA~!
Crowne Plaza was nice and small < 3

CardMaster
12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
THe thing is that in Ottawa Gatineau aera you don't have much choice for venue.

1.Hampton Inn, dosen't want any other anime covention, I try that place; they never call me back.

2.Crowne Plaza, is a viable place, event with the staff problem, I just do think that the staff was ready for a con, or that the normal costumers of this hotel XD
This one is easy access a less. I prefer it at travel lodge.

3.Travel Lodge might be too small for the need of AC3, but that is a possible choice.

4.You have a Holiday in that might be a possibility downtown Ottawa.

http://www.hiottawa.ca/meetings.html

At first glance travellodge seem to be better.

5.The Arc Hotel do not have space for Ac3.
6.Les Suite d'Ottawa have less then 10 000 square feets, so forget about it.
7.The embassy Hotel: http://www.embassyhotelottawa.com/, not event to mention it
8.THe Radisson is to small and they go 3 room.
9.Same for the best western.
10.And much can be said about the other hotel in Ottawa.
I hope a did not forget one.

11.Congres Center of Ottawa is dead for a few years and it will cost a fortune.
But everything is more expensive in ottawa. I imagine a small room should be around 750 to 900$ per day.

12. The other place possible that will not happen for sur:
Hotel Place Cartier: In Alymers, I doubt that people we want to got there by bus during the week end. Anyway it is in Québec and out Ottawa. Also, that a mess to get room there, I was Calling in March and half the metting room where book for Feb 09...O o

13. Fourth point Sheraton: You have space to a certain degree, but you have the Palais connect to it. It is in Québec.
14. The Palais, it is in Québec, we are there, so event if that a great place they will not come.

I am ready to said that the venue will be number 2, 3 or 4 for Ac3, that just commun sense....

The*Fallen*One*
12-10-2008, 04:32 PM
The reason why the Hampton Inn doesn't want another Anime convention there is due to them not realizing what an Anime Con was like, they are used to business conferences, where people stay in the rooms, not wander about the halls.

There are plenty of other areas in the city of Ottawa that we are looking in to. It does not necessarily have to be held within a hotel. As long as there are suitable lodgings nearby would be suitable. If you look outside of the Downtown Core, there are tons of options.

And why would we even consider going to Alymer?

alchemy_girl
02-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't know if I'm treading on anything here that would be considered to be frowned upon, but I heard from a friend that the Hampton will not allow any more anime cons because of two hotel rooms being trashed and a hole was punched in the wall! And she also said that the name was going to be changed from AC3 to something else???

Anyway, I have absolutely NO FREAKING CLUE where she got her info, but I just wanted to know if the name was being changed and if there were any new updates or if there was even going to be an AC3 this year.

Thank you for putting up with my rambling and hope to see you all at AC3 2009 (Wherever it may be!)

The*Fallen*One*
02-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't know if I'm treading on anything here that would be considered to be frowned upon, but I heard from a friend that the Hampton will not allow any more anime cons because of two hotel rooms being trashed and a hole was punched in the wall! And she also said that the name was going to be changed from AC3 to something else???

Anyway, I have absolutely NO FREAKING CLUE where she got her info, but I just wanted to know if the name was being changed and if there were any new updates or if there was even going to be an AC3 this year.

Thank you for putting up with my rambling and hope to see you all at AC3 2009 (Wherever it may be!)

AC3 will still be AC3. We're not changing the name at all. There will be an AC3 this year, we just need to confirm the date and location. It will be back to it's former glory once again!

The reason that the Hampton Inn didn't like an Anime Convention in their rooms is due to the fact that they are used to Business Conventions, where the members sit in one room for an hour or two, then quietly move to another room. No running around and staying in the halls, no loud yelling, no photography/videos. They didn't like our culture. The damage to the Hotel rooms has absolutely nothing to do with the Convention, who organizes it, or who attends it. The damage is the sole responsibility of those persons who had rented that room for the duration of the convention, even if they attended the convention, it is their responsibility to look after their own rooms.

alchemy_girl
02-21-2009, 11:35 AM
All right, that's good to know.

Again, I am sorry if I crossed any lines with my previous comment.

Now I am still ready and excited for the resurrection of AC3 and ready to have some fun with my fellow con-goers!

eebanee
03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm very glad to hear AC3 is going to be up and running for 2009, its defiantly one of my favorite conventions (Was actually my first X3)
I wish all the luck in panning and organizing it.

The*Fallen*One*
03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
If you're itching for AC3, on Saturday, March 14th, SOAP is having their 10th Birthday Party! Come on out and help support SOAP, $5 admission, which goes directly to funding future events, like AC3!

eebanee
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
If you're itching for AC3, on Saturday, March 14th, SOAP is having their 10th Birthday Party! Come on out and help support SOAP, $5 admission, which goes directly to funding future events, like AC3!Ive only heard a bit about the SOAP Birthday Parties but have no clue what they are...as in what is done at the parties XD

The*Fallen*One*
03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Ive only heard a bit about the SOAP Birthday Parties but have no clue what they are...as in what is done at the parties XD

Anime is show, Videogames are played, there is Improv, a small Dealer's Room, Artists' Alley, people in costume running around, open areas for anyone who wants to do a small panel or discussion!

eebanee
03-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Anime is show, Videogames are played, there is Improv, a small Dealer's Room, Artists' Alley, people in costume running around, open areas for anyone who wants to do a small panel or discussion!Ooouhh! Sound like fun! Where is it being held?

The*Fallen*One*
03-03-2009, 07:30 AM
SOAP 10th Birthday Party!
Location: Carleton University, 2nd Floor Tory (Registration in TB215)
When: March 14th, 2pm-9pm
Cost: $5

eebanee
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Alrighty then, I will try and make it and see if I can bring friends. I'm sure they will come and support AC3.