PDA

View Full Version : Portal - Chell's Leg Things?

Can not sew
11-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Any tips for making Chell's (Test subject from Portal) leg things? I was thinking a crowbars, but that would be dumb, I think.

Just so you know, I'm going 'cosplay over comfort' for these. I don't care if I have to walk with bare feet on my toes. I only care that I don't have something poking and jabbing me in the soles of my feet.

Tofu-Sama
11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
http://granades.com/images/2007/Oct/portal-chell.jpg
It would seem that you could use plastic sheets, like Wonderflex, Teflon, etc. and just curve them to the shape needed.

Just let me try to organize the ideas I have... Okay, according to the ref pic I found, if your heel rests on the ground it should be sitting on that round disc with the heel-shaped dent. No way.

I would suggest making the black part a separate part from the white piece that attaches to Chell's hamstring. I would also suggest making it so that the black part has room to slide based on how your standing, so it is extended normally when standing like Chell is in the ref pic, and so that the upper (straight would be easiest) part of the brace slides in when you lower your heel to the ground/heel-spot-thing.

I have no idea if you understood this, but I can draw a sort of picture if you need me to clarify my idea.

TR Rose
11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Mine are made entirely out of fun foam and floral wire. The only trouble is that they're flimsy and don't attach to my legs well (duct tape worked once tho).

Can not sew
11-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Oh my god, TR Rose, yours look so goooood :waaaah:

The plastic also sounds like a great idea, Tofu-sama :) But just to give you some info, Chell walks on her toes pretty much the ENTIRE game, and the leg things are designed to hit the ground before you do, thus absoribing the shock, and keeping you from breaking your legs. The isk, if your heel were to rest on it, would probably be pushed up off the floor (Or break it....)

But.. um... yeah. Sorry to be a bother but would you mind explaining it a little better? I don't really understand.

han-pan
11-12-2008, 01:51 PM
I saw someone who use a styrofoam ball to carve the back-piece so that it fit her thigh perfectly. Though you might need tape/spirit gum to keep it on :3 As for the black pieces, I would aim to have them stay in the air if you're standing flat on your foot, purely because if you jump up excited from a seat position, or begin to jog/run, or forget it for a split second, you could break them. Fixing something like that on the con floor isn't going to be very easy xD I would try taking a stroll through Home Depot/Lowes. I saw some flat metal pieces that could potentially be sanded and bent into the right shape, last time I was there. :]

Do you need any more reference pictures? I have a shitton o.o;;

Xavietta
11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Here's mine:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1358003/

It's mostly craft foam and paper mache on the back to make it 3-d. The springy parts are also foam, heat up and curved, then there's a strip of plastic on the straight part to keep it sticking out. I attached them to my legs using 2-way fashion tape and it worked really well.

Hope that helps :)